The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 February 2016, 12:22 AM   #1
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Change 1680 tritium dial for luminova?

All,
I have not put this watch down since getting it back from my dad. He bought it in 1977 and used it daily until 1989, then I wore it from 1990-2012, then I returned it to him and he wore it 2012-2015, and now is back in my possession.

I may get a luminova service dial next for 40 more years of use...

Am I the only one that does not care much about the tritium patina? I know that collectors go gaga about it, but it is impractical since it does not have any lume and has a life of 12 years. Also, it is radioactive which is the reason the original hands got corroded...

Have any of you change your patinated dial for a luminova replacement?

This is a 1680 506... Serial.

It already has luminova pearl and service hands...
What to do?

Submariner 1680
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 12:24 AM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think I met one other person that did not care for a matte dial..

Not common. It is unfortunate that you are considering this but it is your watch - and a very nice one at that! Congrats..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 12:45 AM   #3
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
I believe this is a tritium service dial. The experts can chime in on this. So if you decide to trade or switch you are not severely de-valuing the watch. If you still had the original dial, that would be worth something. If you decide, at some point, to get into vintage, maybe you'll understand. Otherwise, it's your watch. Do what you like.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 01:02 AM   #4
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
I believe this is a tritium service dial. The experts can chime in on this. So if you decide to trade or switch you are not severely de-valuing the watch. If you still had the original dial, that would be worth something. If you decide, at some point, to get into vintage, maybe you'll understand. Otherwise, it's your watch. Do what you like.

Yes it is a tritium service dial 1991.

At that time the watch was not working and needed a service. The dial had lost lume and I did not know having a moribund dial was a cool thing then. ROLEX had not invented luminova yet.

The question is, should I get a new luminova dial or is that sacrilege?

I am not planning on selling it and this is part of a 5 Rolex watch collection.
Old 15 February 2016, 01:07 AM   #5
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch with great history. I would not change it, but it is your watch to enjoy! If it was the original dial, I'd say NO WAY. But....
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 01:09 AM   #6
lhanddds
Banned

Not sacrilege if you keep the tritium dial. Jason on here has several subs and he dives so he has one or 2 with luminova. Most in this section would prefer the tritium ( I believe ). Like I said, it's your watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 February 2016, 01:19 AM   #7
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
I think you have the best of both worlds: lumi hands on a tritium dial. You can read the time in the dark with the hands alone, and you still get the matte dial and patina.

Nothing wrong with a lumi service dial though. Good luck!

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 01:23 AM   #8
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
IMHO, if you can......source a Luminova dial/hands and then keep the original. I know that this is a watch that you won't ever sell, but you will definitely hurt the intrinsic value of the watch with a straight swap at RSC. I have a couple.....a 1680 Red and a 1665 SeaDweller. The SD is the most recent that I bought and the seller told me that he had sold a 1665 in similar condition but with original dial and hands for $5,000 more a week before he sold me mine.

Personally, I just love the plexiglass crystals, the comfort of the smaller cases and rattly bracelets, and the overall feel of a vintage watch. I just also like the functionality of Luminova. I am quite fortunate that I am able to own tritium and luminova examples of both 1665s and 1680s though.

Luminova 1665

Luminova 1680 Red

BTW, I purchased each of these in this configuration already, and IMHO got a fairly substantial discount since they weren't original and had Luminova replacement.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 01:34 AM   #9
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

How does one get a Luminova RED Sub dial?...I thought all service dial replacements get the White script version?
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 01:45 AM   #10
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
IMHO, if you can......source a Luminova dial/hands and then keep the original. I know that this is a watch that you won't ever sell, but you will definitely hurt the intrinsic value of the watch with a straight swap at RSC. I have a couple.....a 1680 Red and a 1665 SeaDweller. The SD is the most recent that I bought and the seller told me that he had sold a 1665 in similar condition but with original dial and hands for $5,000 more a week before he sold me mine.

Personally, I just love the plexiglass crystals, the comfort of the smaller cases and rattly bracelets, and the overall feel of a vintage watch. I just also like the functionality of Luminova. I am quite fortunate that I am able to own tritium and luminova examples of both 1665s and 1680s though.

BTW, I purchased each of these in this configuration already, and IMHO got a fairly substantial discount since they weren't original and had Luminova replacement.

Interesting. This watch is 40 years old. I have replaced:
- crystal several times
- bezel is new from 2012
- insert several times
- hands were replaced in 2012 since I had no idea that a pair of inexpensive hands with the now unobtanium tritium were so valuable.

So I guess what I am hearing here is that I should keep the vintage look of the tritium dial even with the mismatch hands and pearl.

I have been told "it looks fake" because of that mismatch.

I have all service records and original papers for the watch...
Old 15 February 2016, 01:46 AM   #11
lhanddds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
How does one get a Luminova RED Sub dial?...I thought all service dial replacements get the White script version?
Extremely difficult to find
Old 15 February 2016, 01:53 AM   #12
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
Interesting. This watch is 40 years old. I have replaced:
- crystal several times
- bezel is new from 2012
- insert several times
- hands were replaced in 2012 since I had no idea that a pair of inexpensive hands with the now unobtanium tritium were so valuable.

So I guess what I am hearing here is that I should keep the vintage look of the tritium dial even with the mismatch hands and pearl.

I have been told "it looks fake" because of that mismatch.

I have all service records and original papers for the watch...
Honestly, a set of tritium hands is not that difficult to source. Your other option would be to send the watch to ABC Watchwerks and have them color match the luminova on the hands with the tritium patina on the dial plots. This is also fairly easy to do.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 15 February 2016, 01:56 AM   #13
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
+1, Lumi dial and hands are not hard either comparably. I just took off a set to replace correct Tritium dial and hands from a 1680 sent to RSC for service. I am sure you can find by WTB on this forum. Luck.
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 03:06 AM   #14
bieb1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
I can sympathise with OP re his dilemma. Bit of background, I bought my first watch, an Omega Seamaster chronograph (sorry, I also have a few Rolex) in 1975 and used it hard plus had it serviced a few times over the years, ultimately ending up with luminova hands on the original dial. As the OP, my thoughts were the same, eg need to be able to use it daily and will never sell it anyway. HOWEVER.....I cannot help but feel it is not my watch anymore, at least not the way I remember it looked before. So yes, I will now go and find a set of original Omega hands that were on the watch as a bought it.

So for the OP, only he can decide what defines the core of the watch for him and act accordingly. Is it the functionality (luminosity at night) or the the way it looks and reminds him of good times?

My personal experience is do not change unless you have to and if you do, keep the old parts so you can still change it back if you ever change your mind.
bieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 03:09 AM   #15
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. The dial isn't original to the watch anyway, so it doesn't much matter.
Old 15 February 2016, 03:30 AM   #16
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. The dial isn't original to the watch anyway, so it doesn't much matter.
I want to make sure I am not making another stupid mistake.

The service was recommended by Rolex when I was 17 and scuba dive a lot.

So it sounds like it was bastardized by getting a new dial even though the original was turning orange and the hands were corroded. It really looked like crap, so I am still baffled as to why this is "collectible."

Anyway, I don't "need" lume, it is just about a fresh look on the watch. The hands have a lot of luminosity so I can tell time in the dark just fine.

I even thought about replacing the case although it is still ok. The case and movement are the only original parts left in n the watch.

To me it is like a millennium falcon. It has been to way too many battles to be able to function on its original parts.
Old 15 February 2016, 03:47 AM   #17
bieb1
"TRF" Member

I think the OP is hitting on an important disctiction between collectors and users. As a tool watch, a user needs to be able to rely on the tool without fail, so Rolex will provide service to achieve that, eg install the most modern technology to make the tool perform as expected.

For collectors, the tool represents an age gone by, a longing for what was and a "wish I was there" feeling. They want the tool to look appropriately aged and usually do not need the function.

Only the OP can decide what makes sense for him to retain the value of what clearly is a family heirloom, function or looks. It will never be sold, so the collectors value is really of no relebance here.

But one point to perhaps keep in mind is that once every part gets changed, eg parts that were part of its and the OP's history, is it still a heirloom or just a new old watch?
Old 15 February 2016, 03:58 AM   #18
bieb1
"TRF" Member

I may have gotten carried away as the thread evolved, but since the OP asked for advice on whether to replace the dial or not for use over the next 40 years, my thoughts are:
- it looks great as it is
- the luminova hands allow for telling time in the dark, even if the dial itself does not shine
- the watch does not need service right now (or does it?)
- radioactivity of the dial, since it no longer shines, is negligable

So unless something else needs fixing right now, I would keep the money in my pocket, keep it as it is and enjoy it for another couple of years.
Old 15 February 2016, 04:00 AM   #19
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieb1 View Post
I think the OP is hitting on an important disctiction between collectors and users. As a tool watch, a user needs to be able to rely on the tool without fail, so Rolex will provide service to achieve that, eg install the most modern technology to make the tool perform as expected.

For collectors, the tool represents an age gone by, a longing for what was and a "wish I was there" feeling. They want the tool to look appropriately aged and usually do not need the function.

Only the OP can decide what makes sense for him to retain the value of what clearly is a family heirloom, function or looks. It will never be sold, so the collectors value is really of no relebance here.

But one point to perhaps keep in mind is that once every part gets changed, eg parts that were part of its and the OP's history, is it still a heirloom or just a new old watch?
Well said! Exactly my dilemma. I can buy a new sub, or which ever Rolex as money is no object. The watch works perfectly right now and will not need service for another 3 years.

I referred to my watch as vintage and I got criticized in a different forum since it has replacement parts.

Is a new old watch a bad thing?
Old 15 February 2016, 04:16 AM   #20
bieb1
"TRF" Member

If you want to sell it, a new old watch represents less value versus authentic old. But that is not the issue here. You have an authentic watch with battle scars and authentic history to you and your family, which cannot be expressed in value. It is priceless to you and you should do whatever seems right to keep it a functioning family piece. After all, what is the point if it stops being worn and ends up in a drawer or safe, gathering dust.

In my case, my own original Omega is the watch that I have worn since I was 18, so to my kids will be the real deal. My other and more recently acquired Rolex vintage watches are very nice as well, but have no emotional value to them. But as investment are probably more valuable. So a completely different subject.
Old 15 February 2016, 04:23 AM   #21
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieb1 View Post
If you want to sell it, a new old watch represents less value versus authentic old. But that is not the issue here. You have an authentic watch with battle scars and authentic history to you and your family, which cannot be expressed in value. It is priceless to you and you should do whatever seems right to keep it a functioning family piece. After all, what is the point if it stops being worn and ends up in a drawer or safe, gathering dust.

In my case, my own original Omega is the watch that I have worn since I was 18, so to my kids will be the real deal. My other and more recently acquired Rolex vintage watches are very nice as well, but have no emotional value to them. But as investment are probably more valuable. So a completely different subject.
Great point!

Has anyone here done it? Has anyone here cross that threshold to put a luminova dial on a 1680 other than the one person that posted his two watches?

I am still trying to process the economics of how the dial and not the movement can add so much perceived value.

Oh well, may be it is the same with other collectible goods.
Remember the beanie baby craze?
Old 15 February 2016, 04:24 AM   #22
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is a new old watch a bad thing?
Nope. That is the exact reason that I bought my Luminova 1665 recently. I could have bought a new SDc for $1,000 less, but I prefer the older case, bracelet, and especially the plexiglass crystal. I prefer the older iteration.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 15 February 2016, 07:22 AM   #23
studioal
"TRF" Member

It's your watch, so do as you please. However, since you're asking, and it sounds like you have remorse from prior service history.

Don't touch that dial.
studioal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 07:30 AM   #24
roll9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 & 16700
I love the way that dial looks as is but if you feel the need to change it out as stated by others keep that one.
roll9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 05:05 AM   #25
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I want to make sure I am not making another stupid mistake.

The service was recommended by Rolex when I was 17 and scuba dive a lot.

So it sounds like it was bastardized by getting a new dial even though the original was turning orange and the hands were corroded. It really looked like crap, so I am still baffled as to why this is "collectible."

Anyway, I don't "need" lume, it is just about a fresh look on the watch. The hands have a lot of luminosity so I can tell time in the dark just fine.

I even thought about replacing the case although it is still ok. The case and movement are the only original parts left in n the watch.

To me it is like a millennium falcon. It has been to way too many battles to be able to function on its original parts.
With all due respect, the 'mistake' (to use your word) has already been made, and can only be made once. If the original dial is gone, it doesn't really matter how many more times it's then changed, to be honest. You say it 'looked like crap' but it sounds great to me. My point is that with vintage, 'orange' patina and a little corrosion on the hands is a much sought-after look of vintage character. But to some, it looks 'crap'... If you're 'baffled' by why that is collectible then, as I said before, you've already got your stance on vintage aesthetics, and all that matters is functionality. You're not 'into' vintage. That's fair enough! "Horses for courses", as the old English idiom goes.

You say you can read the time perfectly well from the later hands, so I'm not sure what you're asking. Would I spend more for yet another service dial with better lume? No. You've thought about replacing the case as well? May as well buy a new one and be done with it, IMHO.

Either way, great watch - enjoy!
Old 16 February 2016, 07:50 AM   #26
Perpetual74
"TRF" Member

you have already a service dial, then change is not (further) sacrilege. from my point of view the charm of a vintage watch is its dial to 70%. the greater its original configuration and the watch is more palatable. most are the parts replaced more a watch moves away from my idea of ​​vintage.
Only my 2 cents..
Perpetual74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 11:56 AM   #27
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the comments and recommendations.

We may revisit his post in a few years.
Old 16 February 2016, 08:45 PM   #28
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
With all due respect, the 'mistake' (to use your word) has already been made, and can only be made once. If the original dial is gone, it doesn't really matter how many more times it's then changed, to be honest. You say it 'looked like crap' but it sounds great to me. My point is that with vintage, 'orange' patina and a little corrosion on the hands is a much sought-after look of vintage character. But to some, it looks 'crap'... If you're 'baffled' by why that is collectible then, as I said before, you've already got your stance on vintage aesthetics, and all that matters is functionality. You're not 'into' vintage. That's fair enough! "Horses for courses", as the old English idiom goes.

You say you can read the time perfectly well from the later hands, so I'm not sure what you're asking. Would I spend more for yet another service dial with better lume? No. You've thought about replacing the case as well? May as well buy a new one and be done with it, IMHO.

Either way, great watch - enjoy!
The dial was changed by Rolex in 1991.
The Internet did no exist
I was a teenager an did what you were supposed to do
Collecting vintage watches or whatever that means was close to impossible then unless you worked in the industry
E-commerce did not start until 20 years later

I guess you gave me a clear answer:
The damage has been done (from the vintage wis standpoint)
I made the decision to get a luminova replacement dial next service...

Meanwhile I am thinking taking a break from Rolex and get an IWC big pilot...
Old 17 February 2016, 12:06 AM   #29
Undercoverone
"TRF" Member

hi all, how do you guys see if it is a tritium service dial ???
Undercoverone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2016, 03:27 AM   #30
lhanddds
Banned

The f in 660ft extends past the M in Submariner above. This is a characteristic of the tritium service dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk