The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2017, 02:53 AM   #31
rolliesub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodiumMonkey View Post
I had been contemplating this exact same decision. I made my decision today and you can see it here along with a little commentary on why I chose the 214270 for my first Rolex: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=530843

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Enjoy the new watch, whatever it ends up being!
Thanks for the link! Love reading it.
rolliesub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 03:00 AM   #32
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
sub for me
Old 6 April 2017, 03:00 AM   #33
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i hate these types of threads. my personal choice is the 114060. but get the model you like the most and will use.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 03:04 AM   #34
rolliesub
"TRF" Member

Right now, at this very moment, I am leaning towards the 114060. Sometimes, I would like the option of people noticing my watch, just like a SS Daytona might. Is the Exp really THAT steathly to such extent that no one notices it or even a WIS might not notice it right away? So far, I have not have the chance of seeing someone wearing the Exp. Daytonas and Sub (it was associated with people who just bought it just because it is a Sub, not buying it because of its history like so with the other Rollies). I just can't get my head around that I might get judged as an office diver or someone who just wants a bling watch if I were to purchase said Sub 114060. Many sales associates here get the Sub just to show that they are doing well. For that matter, I do not work in this line. However, i was in the jewellery store the other day and i saw two sales staff wearing Subs with date. I was literally cringing. I apologise if I sound or seem to be judging but I am reckoning some here might feel the same way when they spot these situations.
Old 6 April 2017, 03:07 AM   #35
rolliesub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
i hate these types of threads. my personal choice is the 114060. but get the model you like the most and will use.
Well, one man's meat is another man's poison. I don't hate these kind of threads due to the fact I have gained relatively much information from previous similar threads like this. Thanks for your input anyway.
Old 6 April 2017, 03:15 AM   #36
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
I own Explorer II, latest model SS Datejust and ceramic SS Submariner. I love all three watches and alternate wearing days except when I travel, then I wear Explorer II exclusively because of the second hour tracking. You can't go wrong with either choice but I warn you, you will end up owning both watches and more.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 03:28 AM   #37
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I would go with the sub in this case.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 03:36 AM   #38
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Although I own the previous 39mm Explorer and a 5 digit Sub w/out date either are a solid choice. When there are two that I really like I know it is only time till I have both.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 03:37 AM   #39
Xerxes77
Banned

Go with one you like it most
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 03:37 AM   #40
Ec2016
"TRF" Member

If i chose the Explorer, I would be itching for a sub. The Sub is one of my favorite models. I thought it might bother me that it is a more common model, but at the end of the day, I went with it because it was my favorite. You have to remember that in most countries, Rolex is not that common

You have to get what you like. I dont think the Explorer will ever be more valuable than a Sub and you can see that is used prices now. But who knows if that will change in 20 years.

Sub no date gives me presence when i want it, but can also fly under the radar given divers look similar across brands to the public

The explorer doesnt provide the same wrist presence imo. But again, its a personal choice and you will know best what works for you

The sub bracelet is very good. I didnt realize how often i would use the glidelock.
Ec2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 03:40 AM   #41
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
Both amazing, can't go wrong. But there's a special place for this one:

Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 07:22 AM   #42
Sydny2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, GMT
Sub first!
Sydny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 07:28 AM   #43
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I have the previous Explorer with WG 3-6-9 and the above mentioned Sub. They are both great watches, get them both.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 10:16 AM   #44
EddieA1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1,BLNR,Sub,MilZ
I own both pieces 214270 (pre 2016) and 114060. I happened to have purchased the Expy 1 first, and then the SubC, but if I had to do it over again, I would have bought the SubC first. It's an awesome piece, especially for an enthusiast. It wears very well on the wrist, and has nice wrist presence (if you're into that). But it can wear a bit "blocky" on the wrist due to its large, protruding case back, and the way the lugs don't arc inwards towards the wrist. It can also be a bit ostentatious, but that's mostly me being a too self-conscious as I think only one person has ever acknowledged the SubC to me. I sometimes view it as not office friendly due its presence and connotations it implies (but that's just me being overly modest). Glidelock is also a killer feature (maybe the one and only that tips the scale in its favor). The Sub makes for a really nice one-and-only piece. You'll never grow tired of it, and it will always remain in demand and classic. That said, the Expy 1 is a really, super nice piece in its own right. Excellent history and pedigree. Plus, I think it's one of the only Rolex sport watches that has the Paraflex shock absorbing system installed (I think the Expy 2 is the other one). To me, it's the quintessential Rolex sport watch, but can masquerade very nicely as a dress watch too. A very versatile timepiece. Surprisingly, it has excellent wrist presence as well even though its case size is 1mm smaller than the Sub. I love the way the Expy wraps around the wrist. The case and lug configuration give it a really nice integrated feel. It just feels natural. I've been told that it wears very similar to a Daytona from this standpoint. Despite its prominent wrist presence, its the Rolex I feel the least self conscious wearing (I also own a BLNR and Z-Blue). If you can afford it, I would buy both and this way you have land and sea covered. You can't go wrong either way, but I would advise Sub first. That will wet your appetite for more.
EddieA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 10:21 AM   #45
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolliesub View Post
Well, one man's meat is another man's poison. I don't hate these kind of threads due to the fact I have gained relatively much information from previous similar threads like this. Thanks for your input anyway.
Perhaps hate was too strong. I just mean no matter what we say you'll go with what you like best most of the time all of the time.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 10:32 AM   #46
NH76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060

Go sub!

Looks great on rubber or nato!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NH76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 01:16 AM   #47
rolliesub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec2016 View Post
If i chose the Explorer, I would be itching for a sub. The Sub is one of my favorite models. I thought it might bother me that it is a more common model, but at the end of the day, I went with it because it was my favorite. You have to remember that in most countries, Rolex is not that common

You have to get what you like. I dont think the Explorer will ever be more valuable than a Sub and you can see that is used prices now. But who knows if that will change in 20 years.

Sub no date gives me presence when i want it, but can also fly under the radar given divers look similar across brands to the public

The explorer doesnt provide the same wrist presence imo. But again, its a personal choice and you will know best what works for you

The sub bracelet is very good. I didnt realize how often i would use the glidelock.
I managed to try on the previous model Exp just a few hours back at a local AD/flagship Rolex. It seemed to fit just nice although I felt it could be just a tiny bit bigger probably 1-2mm more.

Both shops I went to did not have the Sub 114060 in stock.

I'm guessing from what you have mentioned the Sub wins hands down.
Old 7 April 2017, 01:18 AM   #48
rolliesub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploradori View Post
Both amazing, can't go wrong. But there's a special place for this one:

It looks like a handsome little guy, quietly sitting there for you to pick it up. Great shot!
Old 7 April 2017, 01:24 AM   #49
rolliesub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieA1 View Post
I own both pieces 214270 (pre 2016) and 114060. I happened to have purchased the Expy 1 first, and then the SubC, but if I had to do it over again, I would have bought the SubC first. It's an awesome piece, especially for an enthusiast. It wears very well on the wrist, and has nice wrist presence (if you're into that). But it can wear a bit "blocky" on the wrist due to its large, protruding case back, and the way the lugs don't arc inwards towards the wrist. It can also be a bit ostentatious, but that's mostly me being a too self-conscious as I think only one person has ever acknowledged the SubC to me. I sometimes view it as not office friendly due its presence and connotations it implies (but that's just me being overly modest). Glidelock is also a killer feature (maybe the one and only that tips the scale in its favor). The Sub makes for a really nice one-and-only piece. You'll never grow tired of it, and it will always remain in demand and classic. That said, the Expy 1 is a really, super nice piece in its own right. Excellent history and pedigree. Plus, I think it's one of the only Rolex sport watches that has the Paraflex shock absorbing system installed (I think the Expy 2 is the other one). To me, it's the quintessential Rolex sport watch, but can masquerade very nicely as a dress watch too. A very versatile timepiece. Surprisingly, it has excellent wrist presence as well even though its case size is 1mm smaller than the Sub. I love the way the Expy wraps around the wrist. The case and lug configuration give it a really nice integrated feel. It just feels natural. I've been told that it wears very similar to a Daytona from this standpoint. Despite its prominent wrist presence, its the Rolex I feel the least self conscious wearing (I also own a BLNR and Z-Blue). If you can afford it, I would buy both and this way you have land and sea covered. You can't go wrong either way, but I would advise Sub first. That will wet your appetite for more.
Thanks for your input. The Sub wins again.
Old 7 April 2017, 01:27 AM   #50
rolliesub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Perhaps hate was too strong. I just mean no matter what we say you'll go with what you like best most of the time all of the time.
No offense was taken. Everyone has their opinion and their right to voice it out. I kind of got what you meant in your first post. I just love to hear and read, in this case, opinions including yours in deciding my first Rolex.
Old 7 April 2017, 01:28 AM   #51
rolliesub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH76 View Post

Go sub!

Looks great on rubber or nato!

I swear i have seen an Exp on a similar RubberB or Everest strap. This is nice too!
Old 7 April 2017, 01:39 AM   #52
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Both classics and I think cornerstones of great collections.

That said, I would opt for the sub first as I think the rotating bezel provides one of the most useful functions for a sports watch.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 01:42 AM   #53
rolliesub
"TRF" Member

One thing that also bugs me is the Sub 114060 does not have the Paraflex Shock Absorber in the movement whereas the Exp has it. It bugs me that the cheaper version has it but the more expensive and grailed one does not.

It again bugs me that if I were to purchase the Sub this year, Rolex might (maybe, maybe not) upgrade the 3132 movement with a Paraflex next year in 2018 Basel.

Does anyone of you think the same too?
Old 7 April 2017, 01:45 AM   #54
rolliesub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Both classics and I think cornerstones of great collections.

That said, I would opt for the sub first as I think the rotating bezel provides one of the most useful functions for a sports watch.
I had a few dive watches with the rotating bezel and I rarely if not, at all, use it to time my daily errands. Thanks for your input! To me, the bezel is not a selling point. The Cerachrom on the bezel might be a selling point.
Old 7 April 2017, 05:14 AM   #55
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 06:03 AM   #56
Lrlx
"TRF" Member

For a one and only I would choose the Explorer. I would recommend trying them on.
Lrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 06:10 AM   #57
Jim M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 14060M 16622
Since I have already cycled through a 14270 and 14060M, holding onto a 1601 and 1675, I am going for the new Explorer for next one. YMMV
Old 7 April 2017, 06:22 AM   #58
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I really like the new Explorer, but personally I would never choose it over a Sub. I love the ceramic bezel sports watches though.
Wrist Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 06:36 AM   #59
9914ken
"TRF" Member

Exp 1 - Nice history, dull dial.

Sub - Tool watch, elegant dial, mini tank.
9914ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 06:53 AM   #60
"TRF" Member

I owned the sub first and recently bought explorer 1 and absolutely love it! You really can't go wrong with either one. Reason why I added the explorer is that it's a fantastic all round watch, sports watch that looks dressy. I love the 39mm size and thickness of the watch.

5500 is offline   Reply With Quote