The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 April 2017, 11:54 PM   #91
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Is Pam the only brand lowering their prices in 2017?

I got my 662 in Sep at retail and today can be acquired from the gray market for 20% less than what I paid for...and is Limited Edition
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 01:57 AM   #92
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
Is Pam the only brand lowering their prices in 2017?

I got my 662 in Sep at retail and today can be acquired from the gray market for 20% less than what I paid for...and is Limited Edition
Nope. AP cut the price of the ceramic 44 by like 8k. Also priced the Ti below the prior SS. Bad for current owners, great for prospective new owners.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 09:11 AM   #93
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
Longest sentence ever.
Ok Mr teacher.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 02:41 AM   #94
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
You have been around a while, how do I need to explain anything to you? Compare a new Omega with a 8500 for the same price as the base Panerai. Compare a new Tudor with inhouse movement and a 70 hour power reserve against the new joke of a watch base Pams. Panerai makes some great watches, I still like them a lot. I just personally lost interest in larger watches and I have come to realize that I can get much more bang for my buck in the $5000-$6000 range than a Panerai.
I've been around a long time? That means what exactly?

Personally, I don't consider Omega to be in the same bracket as Panerai. They don't hold their values very well for a start. I don't think there are too many Panerais that can be considered an investment but they seem to me to fare better in the second hand market than Omega, which absolutely tank. If that's not enough for you, from my own (limited) experience there's much bigger discounts to be had on Omegas than Panerais too. But like I said above, you buy Panerai because you love the brand and the watches.

Omega make excellent watches and the brand has its fans. But just like AP, they're not for me. Nothing wrong with them, they just don't blow my skirt up.

As for comparing a Tudor with Panerai? No. Just no. I'm not going anywhere near that one.

What I asked you was a plain and simple question. It wasn't loaded and I wasn't looking for something to provide a smart-arse response to. I'm pretty new and quite inexperienced in the watch game and was genuinely interested in your opinion. 'Was' being the operative word.

Oh, and compare an Omega with an 8500? What does that even mean? And how do you explain something to me? You type a response on here like everyone else, duh! Before you pick others up on their grammar, you might want to proof read your own post before posting.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 05:40 AM   #95
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
This for all the haters that saying Panerai is fading it's still kicking strong ��
Nice collection (and ride)
Old 28 April 2017, 07:40 AM   #96
tanndonn
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP II, 243, PO
Spent a year lusting after the right 243. Finally found one in January of this year and it has been on my wrist for all but several days. Love it and it is the perfect watch for my tastes. I own 2 Omega PO's(42mm 2500 and 45mm 8500) and a 42 EXP II Polar. Always had a thing for Panerai. Flipped an 005 and an 86. I realized that a watch for me has to have a useable bezel function and date indicator. The 243 fit the bill, I just had to find the model that checked all the boxes. I wear my watches for me, like everyone else, but look forward to another WIS taking notice of a nice timepiece in the wild that screams, "this guy knows what he's doing".
tanndonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 08:00 AM   #97
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
It's not just about size. Panerai cases are super stylish. Nobody does cushion cases better than Panerai. From the Radiomir with the wired lugs, to the 1940's style (more pillowly) with lugs, and the chunkier 50's case, to the Bettarini (square) cases, and now the thin Duo. All with different lines and curves and interesting to the careful observer.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 08:52 AM   #98
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I've been around a long time? That means what exactly?

Personally, I don't consider Omega to be in the same bracket as Panerai. They don't hold their values very well for a start. I don't think there are too many Panerais that can be considered an investment but they seem to me to fare better in the second hand market than Omega, which absolutely tank. If that's not enough for you, from my own (limited) experience there's much bigger discounts to be had on Omegas than Panerais too. But like I said above, you buy Panerai because you love the brand and the watches.

Omega make excellent watches and the brand has its fans. But just like AP, they're not for me. Nothing wrong with them, they just don't blow my skirt up.

As for comparing a Tudor with Panerai? No. Just no. I'm not going anywhere near that one.

What I asked you was a plain and simple question. It wasn't loaded and I wasn't looking for something to provide a smart-arse response to. I'm pretty new and quite inexperienced in the watch game and was genuinely interested in your opinion. 'Was' being the operative word.

Oh, and compare an Omega with an 8500? What does that even mean? And how do you explain something to me? You type a response on here like everyone else, duh! Before you pick others up on their grammar, you might want to proof read your own post before posting.
Thank you Paul and with this guy it's a dead end
Old 28 April 2017, 10:33 AM   #99
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Hey Nick and Paul. Just so you guys know, I was not trying to be hostile in any way. I have no idea why anything I posted was taken as being offensive to you guys.

Everyone has there own opinions, and for some reason you guys to offence to my reply and one of you posted the dummy symbol towards me which of course, I had to reply to and add my own.

I was not talking about resale value or discounts that can be had with certain brands, I was talking bang for your buck. I bought my 1st Pam for just over $3000, that was a fair price for a new 000. Once they doubled in price for a base Pam with a ETA movement, I started to look at other brands, simple as that.

Nobody should be able to deny that a PO or even a new in house Tudor is a much better bang for you buck than say a 111.

Panerai's higher end models obviously are in a different league, but I was talking about watches in the $5000-$6000 range.

This was sent from my phone and my eyes are not what they used to be so forgive my punctuation.

Again, I have no idea why you guys got upset. I like Panerai, I was a early member on Paneristi.com. I was not bagging on the brand at all.
Old 28 April 2017, 11:07 AM   #100
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Hey Nick and Paul. Just so you guys know, I was not trying to be hostile in any way. I have no idea why anything I posted was taken as being offensive to you guys.

Everyone has there own opinions, and for some reason you guys to offence to my reply and one of you posted the dummy symbol towards me which of course, I had to reply to and add my own.

I was not talking about resale value or discounts that can be had with certain brands, I was talking bang for your buck. I bought my 1st Pam for just over $3000, that was a fair price for a new 000. Once they doubled in price for a base Pam with a ETA movement, I started to look at other brands, simple as that.

Nobody should be able to deny that a PO or even a new in house Tudor is a much better bang for you buck than say a 111.

Panerai's higher end models obviously are in a different league, but I was talking about watches in the $5000-$6000 range.

This was sent from my phone and my eyes are not what they used to be so forgive my punctuation.

Again, I have no idea why you guys got upset. I like Panerai, I was a early member on Paneristi.com. I was not bagging on the brand at all.
Hi no hard feelings i also own different brands of watches
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5002.jpg (63.9 KB, 461 views)
Old 28 April 2017, 12:08 PM   #101
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is the sort of reply that I was hoping for the first time round, telling me what you think and your reasons why. Job done. Like I said, I'm inexperienced and new to the watch game although I guess it would've helped if I'd said that when I asked the question.

No hard feelings here either

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 28 April 2017, 03:09 PM   #102
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

But, even at that price, I'd take the PAM over a PO or Tudor, neither of which come close to the style or design of a Panerai.

"Bang for your buck" can mean different things to different people.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 03:21 PM   #103
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Nice group shot, Nick!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 04:32 PM   #104
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Nice group shot, Nick!
I second that ... nice collection Nick.
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 09:20 PM   #105
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Nice group shot, Nick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnub View Post
I second that ... nice collection Nick.

Thank you Gents I appreciate that
Old 29 April 2017, 01:08 AM   #106
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I used to love Pams, had 233 dot dial, 028 LE and 082 LE, got tired of big watches when I went high end, sold my 4 Rolex and 2 Pams rather easily with minimum loss, but the 028, in better than mint condition, not a single scratch on them, were for sale for 1,5 years, and today I got tired and accepted an offer for 5,5K euros, got them 3 years ago for 7,2. I think for such a brand as Panerai 100.000 per year is way too much, if in the beginning of the 21st century they were at 10.000 making 10 times more now is nuts, any brand if they make too many watches will loose hard on secondary market, to be honest had no idea that they were making so many, 100K per year is nuts IMO. I don't buy watches as investments but I also don't like if I pay something 10 grand for it to be worth half as much as soon as I walk out the store, why do brands like PP and Rolex on some models have great resale, because they purposely limit the production on these models to keep a strong demand on them, with the Russian and Chinese markets being nothing compared to what they used to be, an intelligent management will reduce production, which is what Patek is doing now, if Panerai continues to make 100K per year I anticipate second hand prices on most models to be at 50% of retail or maybe even worse. Also the fact that they won't authenticate their watches sucks, I got 2 from a private seller and we went to the Pam Boutique in Paris, first they were not very happy, to say the least, that we were going to see them for this, and second they said the watches looked ok but with absolutely no guarantees...

About talk of haters, don't see in what it's hating to notice that interest in the brand either is fading because it is, or because they overproduced for a few years, it is a fact that prices on secondary market have fallen, could be the trend of oversized watches is fading or what I said before, but what is clear is that they are not as hot and easily sellable as before...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 01:38 AM   #107
axl911
"TRF" Member

I really like this thread. Interesting experiences and observations.

I am looking to buy a Panerai, but also finding myself asking the same question as the OP.
axl911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 02:49 AM   #108
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How did I miss this? Great collection, Nick

Old 29 April 2017, 02:58 AM   #109
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But, even at that price, I'd take the PAM over a PO or Tudor, neither of which come close to the style or design of a Panerai.

"Bang for your buck" can mean different things to different people.

Same here. If I was offered an AP RO for the same money as a 533, I'd take the PAM. Am I nuts? No, I'm just not a fan of AP. I actually tried on a client's RO at a cocktail reception last night (I was wearing my Daytona) and I would take the 533 all day every day. I'm not bashing the AP, not at all. It's a lovely piece and it feels quality but it doesn't have the style or wrist presence of a 1950 Lumnior. Not in my eyes anyway.

There's just something about a Panerai that I can't put into words. It's a bit like Stairway to Heaven; you either get it or you don't. I'm cool with both. However, if you don't get it then don't knock those of us that do cos I know someone who'll get medieval on yo ass!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0314.jpg (45.8 KB, 430 views)

Old 29 April 2017, 03:30 AM   #110
nick c
Banned

Quote:
How did I miss this? Great collection, Nick
Thank you my brother have a wonderful weekend
Old 29 April 2017, 03:32 AM   #111
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Same here. If I was offered an AP RO for the same money as a 533, I'd take the PAM. Am I nuts? No, I'm just not a fan of AP. I actually tried on a client's RO at a cocktail reception last night (I was wearing my Daytona) and I would take the 533 all day every day. I'm not bashing the AP, not at all. It's a lovely piece and it feels quality but it doesn't have the style or wrist presence of a 1950 Lumnior. Not in my eyes anyway.

There's just something about a Panerai that I can't put into words. It's a bit like Stairway to Heaven; you either get it or you don't. I'm cool with both. However, if you don't get it then don't knock those of us that do cos I know someone who'll get medieval on yo ass!

Same here I had an AP before didn't sing to me so I sold it
Old 29 April 2017, 04:48 AM   #112
clyde2801
"TRF" Member

Would I get a second pam? No, for the reasons I've already stated. Love my pam, but not a fan of Richemont's business practices.

That said, if I could only keep one of my watches, it would be my base logo, hands down.
clyde2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 06:33 AM   #113
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
What is wrong with Richmont's business practices? They serve the shareholders to maximize profits, not us watch idiot savants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Would I get a second pam? No, for the reasons I've already stated. Love my pam, but not a fan of Richemont's business practices.

That said, if I could only keep one of my watches, it would be my base logo, hands down.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 07:20 AM   #114
Benjamin Choi
"TRF" Member

I only care for the 1950 with domed sapphire models such as the 233, 127 and 217 I've owned. Everything else I couldn't care less about. I would rather have one of these Panerais than a more expensive AP ROO. I see all these new releases with blue face, radio/cushion case mixes and it just gets confusing and superfluous for me.

I also enjoy some of the classic Rolex models like the sub, dd, and maybe the daytona. Omega moon watch is also legit in my eyes. Color me status quo.
Benjamin Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 12:42 PM   #115
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

I like Panerai. Will keep one in the collection so long as I do collect. I'm going to focus back to Rolex though. Would love a PP, but who knows...
Old 29 April 2017, 08:25 PM   #116
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you my brother have a wonderful weekend
And you too, my brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjfang View Post
What is wrong with Richmont's business practices? They serve the shareholders to maximize profits, not us watch idiot savants.
Exactly, they're a business not a charity. I have no beef with Richmont. I hear they put their prices up every year, which is certainly true of Mont Blanc but Panerai prices in Singapore haven't gone up for the last two years that I'm aware of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi View Post
I only care for the 1950 with domed sapphire models such as the 233, 127 and 217 I've owned. Everything else I couldn't care less about. I would rather have one of these Panerais than a more expensive AP ROO. I see all these new releases with blue face, radio/cushion case mixes and it just gets confusing and superfluous for me.

I also enjoy some of the classic Rolex models like the sub, dd, and maybe the daytona. Omega moon watch is also legit in my eyes. Color me status quo.
Nothing wrong with this ^^. I think it's called 'old school' and 'classic'

Old 29 April 2017, 09:22 PM   #117
nick c
Banned

Even this lady wants a Panerai.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5215.JPG (123.5 KB, 384 views)
Old 30 April 2017, 12:19 AM   #118
clyde2801
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjfang View Post
Using sleazy marketing gimmicks like never ending steams of limited and special editions to inflate prices, reissuing prior high end editions like the bronzo, and their failure to go after counterfeiters and simultaneous refusal to authenticate depresses value of preowned pieces and ensures all but the foolhardy trudge into the AD's to ensure a genuine article. The question should be why Richemont hates its customer base so much. Depressed sales of late could be the result of an economic slowdown, anticorruption practices in the PRC, the end of the big watch fad..or could be their own business practices coming back to bite them in the arse.
clyde2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 08:11 AM   #119
seanneok11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ap,rolex, rolex
Too many models and always special edition skmething
seanneok11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2017, 05:58 AM   #120
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAP View Post
Is it just me or is there no love for Panerai anymore?

I enjoy my 335 but it's getting less and less wrist time for some reason. I might be too much into AP but that piece used to excite me a lot!

Now none of their watches temps me anymore. Is the brand getting old?

just you
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote