The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 July 2017, 02:07 AM   #31
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
not sure. they just said i had to stop by either today or tomorrow if i wanted to drop off the watch. service being closed makes sense in that case.
Either way glad it's there but a shame the closure is going to delay things little, did you sort of ordering the GP strap?
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2017, 02:42 AM   #32
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Either way glad it's there but a shame the closure is going to delay things little, did you sort of ordering the GP strap?

I told them and they said we can handle tomorrow when I'm in.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2017, 03:32 AM   #33
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Not cool but APSC is really top notch, nothing but good things to say about them when they took care of my cracked ceramic case, it wa back in less than 2 months
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2017, 10:11 PM   #34
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Sorry to hear that!! I have only had a problem with an older RO chronograph, but all of my moderns have been fine.

I run my Chronograph on average an hour a day for no particular reason, but never have any issues.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 03:49 AM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Dropped the RG 44 off today for service along with my diver and 15400 for pressure testing. Ordered my GP strap as well and they will install at the same time as they are fixing the watch.

Now the several week wait begins.

APSC is like fort knox trying to get inside. That was basically my only impression of the place. Everyone was frantically trying to get out of there for holiday when i got there at 4:30pm so i was in and out in 10 minutes. The waiting room was nice.
Old 19 July 2017, 03:54 AM   #36
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Dropped the RG 44 off today for service along with my diver and 15400 for pressure testing. Ordered my GP strap as well and they will install at the same time as they are fixing the watch.

Now the several week wait begins.

APSC is like fort knox trying to get inside. That was basically my only impression of the place. Everyone was frantically trying to get out of there for holiday when i got there at 4:30pm so i was in and out in 10 minutes. The waiting room was nice.
Yes they are beasts or double doors

Did they give an eta on turn around at all?

So are you just left with the Ti to keep you company?
Old 19 July 2017, 03:57 AM   #37
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes they are beasts or double doors

Did they give an eta on turn around at all?

So are you just left with the Ti to keep you company?
thats the only AP left at the moment

Hopefully they don't lose my watches. I didn't even get a receipt or any paperwork to show they even have them. It was really weird to be honest.

It was literally so rushed i didn't even have time to clarify beyond "several weeks" and "hopefully less than six". If they have my two watches for pressure testing for six weeks also I'm not going to be happy.

Met Daniel briefly though and he seems like a nice guy. He said to tell you and P2725TMB (I guess ill use his username as seems to not use his real one here) hi.
I did forget to name drop Ash though. But thank you guys for all your help
Old 19 July 2017, 04:19 AM   #38
SC11
Banned

Hey nothing wrong with just having the Ti left

Fingers crossed they'll be back with you sooner rather then later.
Old 19 July 2017, 04:23 AM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey nothing wrong with just having the Ti left

Fingers crossed they'll be back with you sooner rather then later.
i know, its a great daily wearer and to be left with one, its probably the best one for all situations IMO. Its just weird to have basically everything gone at the same time.
Old 19 July 2017, 04:26 AM   #40
SC11
Banned

Quote:
i know, its a great daily wearer and to be left with one, its probably the best one for all situations IMO. Its just weird to have basically everything gone at the same time.
I bet, couldn't you of staggered the pressure testing?

Is it also the SS Diver you have?
Old 19 July 2017, 04:35 AM   #41
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bet, couldn't you of staggered the pressure testing?

Is it also the SS Diver you have?
yes it SS diver.

I could have staggered but i have never had it done before so they all really need it especially before the warranty expires. A flooded watch out of warranty would be bad.
I also was not sure what the process to pressure test actually is so i don't know how long that should take. My guess is the pressure test ones will come back way before the 44. Either way though I'm off on holiday soon so 3 weeks from now is the earliest i could pick up anyway.
Old 19 July 2017, 07:26 AM   #42
SC11
Banned

Quote:
yes it SS diver.

I could have staggered but i have never had it done before so they all really need it especially before the warranty expires. A flooded watch out of warranty would be bad.
I also was not sure what the process to pressure test actually is so i don't know how long that should take. My guess is the pressure test ones will come back way before the 44. Either way though I'm off on holiday soon so 3 weeks from now is the earliest i could pick up anyway.
How do you find they work in rotation is the diver not too similar to the Ti? And does the 15400 get as much wrist time as the ROO's?

Seriously now considering adding a 15202 or 15400.

Oh yes a agree you don't want to run that risk and on previously watches I've had them tested every 1-2 years.
Old 19 July 2017, 02:57 PM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How do you find they work in rotation is the diver not too similar to the Ti? And does the 15400 get as much wrist time as the ROO's?

Seriously now considering adding a 15202 or 15400.

Oh yes a agree you don't want to run that risk and on previously watches I've had them tested every 1-2 years.
I think they all work very well together. If the diver was also 44mm then they would be more of an issue all going together i think. Its the much more discreet offshore.

The 15400 gets the least wrist time, but is always my go to watch whenever i am even remotely dressed up. Im seriously considering the RO chronograph (blue with silver subdials) for my next piece because its more casual than a 15400 and i would have less of a hard time finding a reason to wear it. I love the 15202 but i think for me it would get just about as much wrist time as my 15400 which is less wrist time than i would want to give it.
Old 19 July 2017, 05:34 PM   #44
SC11
Banned

Quote:
I think they all work very well together. If the diver was also 44mm then they would be more of an issue all going together i think. Its the much more discreet offshore.

The 15400 gets the least wrist time, but is always my go to watch whenever i am even remotely dressed up. Im seriously considering the RO chronograph (blue with silver subdials) for my next piece because its more casual than a 15400 and i would have less of a hard time finding a reason to wear it. I love the 15202 but i think for me it would get just about as much wrist time as my 15400 which is less wrist time than i would want to give it.
Black dial diver? I saw the white one in Selfridges and liked it more then I thought I would.

Yes with just having the SDc and ROO like you thought the 15400/15202 would fit in nicely for the smarter occasions, wear would be limited but feel this and the environment it would be worn in will help keep it from marking up (my major gripe with the AP bracelet and SS bezel)

If it was available I'd add the 15300 as that's my favorite but between the 15202 and 15400 I'm actually leaning towards the 15400.
Old 19 July 2017, 05:43 PM   #45
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Black dial diver? I saw the white one in Selfridges and liked it more then I thought I would.

Yes with just having the SDc and ROO like you thought the 15400/15202 would fit in nicely for the smarter occasions, wear would be limited but feel this and the environment it would be worn in will help keep it from marking up (my major gripe with the AP bracelet and SS bezel)

If it was available I'd add the 15300 as that's my favorite but between the 15202 and 15400 I'm actually leaning towards the 15400.
thats why i have the 15400, "smart occasions" i just wish i had more of those from day to day. Its the only watch i really want to wear more. Its a great choice though. Mine looks great after 3 years, no major dings and only a few scratches which of course are not noticeable to anyone other than me. Im probably in the minority but i like SS bezels because the 44s are ceramic and i have enough black bezels so i would prefer a SS bezel for variety. Same goes for the diver. If the bezel was ceramic i probably would not still have it.

Black dial diver....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7648.jpg (221.6 KB, 175 views)
Old 19 July 2017, 06:09 PM   #46
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
"Im seriously considering the RO chronograph (blue with silver subdials) for my next piece because its more casual than a 15400 and i would have less of a hard time finding a reason to wear it."
Is that the same one that I have? A good move, if so, as its a lovely watch, the rose gold and blue works so well together. I particularly like it on the rubber strap, nicer (in my view) than on leather.

I think my next acquisition is likely to be one of the white dial 44 Summer Editions...
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 06:13 PM   #47
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Is that the same one that I have? A good move, if so, as its a lovely watch, the rose gold and blue works so well together. I particularly like it on the rubber strap, nicer (in my view) than on leather.

I think my next acquisition is likely to be one of the white dial 44 Summer Editions...
I'm thinking SS. I do love yours as well and that one is definitely on my radar also. I still have not seen the SS in person though. Love the summer edition and personally i think the all gold bezel is a plus on that one vs if they did ceramic like the rest of the 44's.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2dcec37aefce2cef66cfb6970d626795.png (189.1 KB, 172 views)
Old 19 July 2017, 06:24 PM   #48
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I used to prefer the silver colour of steel watches but now seem to be going more towards gold, particularly AP RG. But that said I assume a stainless on bracelet isn't that much more than RG on leather, so in some ways you get a lot more for your money.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 06:32 PM   #49
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I used to prefer the silver colour of steel watches but now seem to be going more towards gold, particularly AP RG. But that said I assume a stainless on bracelet isn't that much more than RG on leather, so in some ways you get a lot more for your money.
they are closer in price than i would have thought . On paper, i prefer the RG i think... but, I have only recently become comfortable with the idea of RG (on me personally vs in pics or on someone else). My RG 44 was my first gold watch. Im sure in time ill probably move in that direction but not sure I'm there yet, going toward the majority of the collection in gold.
Old 19 July 2017, 07:48 PM   #50
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I'm sure this issue will be fixed.

Is it a problem with the Dubois Depraz module?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 12:14 AM   #51
Xerxes77
Banned

[QUOTE=tyler1980;7759354]So my RG 44,which is 3 1/2 months old broke today. Obviously I’m sending it in but figured i would see if anyone has any thoughts on what happened.

The watch is fully wound and works fine until i use the chrono. The chrono works until the 30 minute mark (specifically about 10 seconds short of 30 minutes) and it stops. It also completely stops the rest of the watch as well. I reset the chrono and the watch is still frozen. I unscrew the crown and pull it out until i can engage the time setting and then reset the watch to the correct time, screw the crown back in and the watch starts again and works fine. It does NOT start working on its own though, but only after i pull the crown out, and reset the time. No winding required though. This pattern has repeated itself 3 times in a row, and the results are exactly the same.

My understanding is the chronograph module is on top of the regular calibre 3120. If they are basically separate pieces then why does a malfunctioning chronograph affect the rest of the watch as well? I would assume once the chronograph is engaged, unless it is a power reserve issue (which it does not appear to be), and it stops, the timekeeping of the rest of the watch should be unaffected.

Note, this is NOT an AP bashing/reliability post as these types of things are bound happen to mechanical watches. I have four AP's and never have had a single issue before. I have not lost confidence either, i am curious though if anyone else has had this issue or knows what might have happened? I hardly ever use the chronograph function, probably used it less than 10 times in total since i got the watch.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE

I will explain you what happens and to know cost me 6 mounth of stress!!

Your watch like all AP ROO have 3126/3840 caliber who use a module chrono!
AP have many chrono module in stock and this module stay even 2-3 years until they are put on the watch.
So because of that the oil loose his property and this is the major problems of this caliber.
Unfortunately when you send the watch at service thay will replace your module with another who have the sane issue!!
I buy my AP ROO 26470 OR on Friday new from AP Boutique and Monday I go back and because the watch stop. They send me to AP service tell me problem of yhe watch are chrono module. Ok!
They replace the module and send me back the watch!
After 2 weeks the watch stop again and I go back to AP.
They send me the watch at AP manufacture and for this problem give me reward 5 years extended guarantee. Ok!
The watch come back and work 2 month and stop!!! Again!!!
I decide to sell it!
And the buyers who are a friend of mine send the watch to a watchmaker in swiss not AP but a good watchmaker and the watchmaker due a complete revision of the module: clean all pieces, oiled....
And now is about one year and the watch work perfect!!
This is the problems of AP ROO.
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 03:35 PM   #52
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
I'm thinking SS. I do love yours as well and that one is definitely on my radar also. I still have not seen the SS in person though. Love the summer edition and personally i think the all gold bezel is a plus on that one vs if they did ceramic like the rest of the 44's.

I tried this on the other day. It was fantastic and has me rethinking the SS Blue Sky Dweller I have on order. Having said that, the RG blue dial version of the ROC with the croc strap is starting to creep into my head! This hobby is killing me!!!
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 03:40 PM   #53
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I tried this on the other day. It was fantastic and has me rethinking the SS Blue Sky Dweller I have on order. Having said that, the RG blue dial version of the ROC with the croc strap is starting to creep into my head! This hobby is killing me!!!
i know. I like those exact two as well. SS blue ROC is the only one i haven't seen but the other two are stunning in person.
Old 21 July 2017, 08:05 AM   #54
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Xerxes77;7766515]
Quote:
So my RG 44,which is 3 1/2 months old broke today. Obviously I’m sending it in but figured i would see if anyone has any thoughts on what happened.

The watch is fully wound and works fine until i use the chrono. The chrono works until the 30 minute mark (specifically about 10 seconds short of 30 minutes) and it stops. It also completely stops the rest of the watch as well. I reset the chrono and the watch is still frozen. I unscrew the crown and pull it out until i can engage the time setting and then reset the watch to the correct time, screw the crown back in and the watch starts again and works fine. It does NOT start working on its own though, but only after i pull the crown out, and reset the time. No winding required though. This pattern has repeated itself 3 times in a row, and the results are exactly the same.

My understanding is the chronograph module is on top of the regular calibre 3120. If they are basically separate pieces then why does a malfunctioning chronograph affect the rest of the watch as well? I would assume once the chronograph is engaged, unless it is a power reserve issue (which it does not appear to be), and it stops, the timekeeping of the rest of the watch should be unaffected.

Note, this is NOT an AP bashing/reliability post as these types of things are bound happen to mechanical watches. I have four AP's and never have had a single issue before. I have not lost confidence either, i am curious though if anyone else has had this issue or knows what might have happened? I hardly ever use the chronograph function, probably used it less than 10 times in total since i got the watch.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE

I will explain you what happens and to know cost me 6 mounth of stress!!

Your watch like all AP ROO have 3126/3840 caliber who use a module chrono!
AP have many chrono module in stock and this module stay even 2-3 years until they are put on the watch.
So because of that the oil loose his property and this is the major problems of this caliber.
Unfortunately when you send the watch at service thay will replace your module with another who have the sane issue!!
I buy my AP ROO 26470 OR on Friday new from AP Boutique and Monday I go back and because the watch stop. They send me to AP service tell me problem of yhe watch are chrono module. Ok!
They replace the module and send me back the watch!
After 2 weeks the watch stop again and I go back to AP.
They send me the watch at AP manufacture and for this problem give me reward 5 years extended guarantee. Ok!
The watch come back and work 2 month and stop!!! Again!!!
I decide to sell it!
And the buyers who are a friend of mine send the watch to a watchmaker in swiss not AP but a good watchmaker and the watchmaker due a complete revision of the module: clean all pieces, oiled....
And now is about one year and the watch work perfect!!
This is the problems of AP ROO.
Sorry but some one has a kind of statistic about failure of the roo movement ?
It seems to me that ap sell very well the roo either 42 or 44 so if it would be so deterministic the failure due to oil drying than I would expect a lot of thread like this....
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 09:01 AM   #55
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
[QUOTE=Mrngrz46;7770095]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post

Sorry but some one has a kind of statistic about failure of the roo movement ?
It seems to me that ap sell very well the roo either 42 or 44 so if it would be so deterministic the failure due to oil drying than I would expect a lot of thread like this....
All I can say is I have owned 10 ROO's over the years including my new 44Ti and never had an issue with any of them. The chronos all work/worked perfectly as do/did the overall watches.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 09:27 AM   #56
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
Sorry to hear that Tyler, mine went in on the 4th day with the same issue, but the whole mechanism would stop, so I sent it in right away. It is supposed to be back next week. We'll see.
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 05:20 PM   #57
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=HL65;7770215]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrngrz46 View Post

All I can say is I have owned 10 ROO's over the years including my new 44Ti and never had an issue with any of them. The chronos all work/worked perfectly as do/did the overall watches.
I agree that it isn't a common occurrence. I read about it from time to time but considering all the AP's everyone on here has, if it was "common" these types of threads would outnumber wrist shot ones. You actually have to search to find them.
Old 21 July 2017, 10:34 PM   #58
Xerxes77
Banned

[QUOTE=tyler1980;7771104][QUOTE=HL65;7770215]

I agree that it isn't a common occurrence. I read about it from time to time but considering all the AP's everyone on here has, if it was "common" these types of threads would outnumber wrist shot ones. You actually have to search to find them. [/QUOTE

I think like this: If AP want to remain on the top they need to eliminated this problems because I think they loose his buyers!
In my case for the moment I don't have any AP even in the past I own AP ROO Old Navy, Volcano, rose gold 42mm, Vampire, Jarno Trulli.....
I have and with the Jarno same problems!
For the moment I don't buy another AP ROO!
But I think to an AP ROC because caliber 2385 never heard to have any problem!
Old 21 July 2017, 10:35 PM   #59
Xerxes77
Banned

[QUOTE=tyler1980;7771104]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post

I agree that it isn't a common occurrence. I read about it from time to time but considering all the AP's everyone on here has, if it was "common" these types of threads would outnumber wrist shot ones. You actually have to search to find them.
And another problem is for that amount of money you don't want to buy a watch like lotery!
Old 22 July 2017, 12:44 AM   #60
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
thats the only AP left at the moment

Hopefully they don't lose my watches. I didn't even get a receipt or any paperwork to show they even have them. It was really weird to be honest.

Hmm... That's sound kind of risky to me. I will never hand over a watch for repair without a receipt. What if they deny receiving the watch?