The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 August 2017, 02:27 AM   #1
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra 2503.33
Vintage Tudor with minor defect

Hello, All:

I recently purchased this vintage Tudor 76100 Lollipop with blue dial and blue ghost bezel insert (see picture). However, there is an issue with the hour hand as can be seen in the picture. There is a hole in the hour hand which is an eye sore according to me. The seller responded to this concern saying collectors want everything in the watch to be all original which is why he did not replace or modify anything. The watch is freshly serviced and runs and looks great, except for this minor defect.

What does this community think? Should I keep the watch as its something that's definitely worth having or should I return it due to the hole in the hour hand?

Any help will be much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-08-10-PHOTO-00002055.jpg (110.7 KB, 597 views)
watchuneedthemost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 02:49 AM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Would be odd to return it as I am sure you saw it prior to buying. As for changing or repairing is really a question you could get different answers on. Some would keep it origibal, some would relume and some would source a new hand. Really isn't a right or wrong answer.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 02:53 AM   #3
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

I can return since the seller has a 'no questions asked" return policy. Thanks for your response. Still contemplating what to do, I have until EOD tomorrow to ship out a return!
Old 11 August 2017, 02:59 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

If it bugs you; return it. If you like the character; keep it. Quite simple. :)

Good luck
Old 11 August 2017, 03:04 AM   #5
1675-David
"TRF" Member

I would have that fixed in a second...
1675-David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 03:06 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I don't know one collector that would appreciate a hole that size, and that visible, in a hand. While the hole is original now, it definitely is not original to the watch. Since you purchased it that way, I assume you liked the watch enough to purchase it.

I would have it repaired or change the hand -it would not be expensive no mater what option you choose.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 03:11 AM   #7
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

When you say "not expensive", you know how much it would be roughly?

I am torn between keeping it (because these are hard to find freshly serviced and with ghost bezel) and returning it (since the hole is quite distracting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I don't know one collector that would appreciate a hole that size, and that visible, in a hand. While the hole is original now, it definitely is not original to the watch. Since you purchased it that way, I assume you liked the watch enough to purchase it.

I would have it repaired or change the hand -it would not be expensive no mater what option you choose.
Old 11 August 2017, 03:27 AM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

My suggestion would be to send it back rather than repair it if you can't live with it. I understand you like the ghost bezel but focus on dial, habds and case rather than insert. Also service history could be disregarded when looking for the right watch. Buying a cool insert and having the watch serviced are easier things than finding the right watch to begin with.
Old 11 August 2017, 03:29 AM   #9
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

I'm beginning to lean toward returning it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
My suggestion would be to send it back rather than repair it if you can't live with it. I understand you like the ghost bezel but focus on dial, habds and case rather than insert. Also service history could be disregarded when looking for the right watch. Buying a cool insert and having the watch serviced are easier things than finding the right watch to begin with.
Old 11 August 2017, 07:48 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchuneedthemost View Post
When you say "not expensive", you know how much it would be roughly?

I am torn between keeping it (because these are hard to find freshly serviced and with ghost bezel) and returning it (since the hole is quite distracting).
Probably $100 to $150 for a hand. Probably around $75 for the repair, plus shipping expenses.

If you need help with a repair, I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

If you like the watch, I say source a hand or have it repaired.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 10:08 AM   #11
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

If you like the watch and the price you paid, just have the hand repaired or replaced (depending on budget)

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 10:15 AM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Did you notice the hole before you bought it?

You'll need another service if much more of that lume drops out and finds its way through the date aperture.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 10:44 AM   #13
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
I can't really understand buying a watch like that and then deciding that the huge obvious flaw is a deal killer.

If you got it cheap and otherwise like the watch, simply get it fixed.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 11:37 AM   #14
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Just get the hand stabilized. So many 76100s have been replaced with "Mercedes" hands. All lollipop hand lume will eventually shrink and fall out like this. Any watchmaker worth their weight will be able to refill the lume.

I am nearly confident that you will not find replacement lollipop hands.

I have this identical watch. I had it serviced and the hand filled. My watchmaker's wife added coffee to the lume. Picture and it matched perfectly.
Dr.Smellody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 05:21 PM   #15
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
I can't really understand buying a watch like that and then deciding that the huge obvious flaw is a deal killer.

i agree 100% and will add that price isn't necessarily the issue. the watch was presented correctly. the dealer was honest and offered a nice return policy but that doesn't mean it's right to simply have buyer's remorse and put the dealer thru the trouble of reversing the transaction. dealers have bills and family to support too. get the silly thing fixed as it's a common repair and won't detract from it's value as it will have much better eye appeal. take springer up on his offer for help or contact LAWW in calif. as they do expert lume restoration and enjoy the watch.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 06:04 PM   #16
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
i agree 100% and will add that price isn't necessarily the issue. the watch was presented correctly. the dealer was honest and offered a nice return policy but that doesn't mean it's right to simply have buyer's remorse and put the dealer thru the trouble of reversing the transaction. dealers have bills and family to support too. get the silly thing fixed as it's a common repair and won't detract from it's value as it will have much better eye appeal. take springer up on his offer for help or contact LAWW in calif. as they do expert lume restoration and enjoy the watch.
X2

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 10:42 PM   #17
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Great watch.

If the price was very good I would keep it and have a very good watch makes address that. You might consider having them stabilize the lume on all the hands.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:18 AM   #18
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

I should've made this clear earlier. The watch as it was pictured before I bought it had a very small deformity on the hour hand (in fact I could not even tell that it was a hole, it looked like a small crack/line - picture attached from original ad). However, when the watch arrived, it was quite a large hole. So in fact, the watch WAS NOT presented correctly. I notified the seller and was told that some of the lume might have fallen off while it was being transported/packed. This lume could now also have embedded itself in the watch's movement (creating a series of new issues). So to your point, I am not trying to pull one off here or take undue advantage of the sellers return policy. I got the watch and it looked different from how it was represented. I understand that the lume falling off is not the sellers fault, but neither is it mine-and its my money on the line here. Lastly, the seller has a "no questions asked" return policy and I presume they established it fully understanding the repercussions of this policy (i.e. some customers will have buyers remorse and will return product). They chose this policy; not me, and its the way they do business. If it was causing them a lot of remorse I am sure they would revisit and revise their return policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (198.5 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (111.4 KB, 464 views)
Old 12 August 2017, 12:18 AM   #19
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Probably $100 to $150 for a hand. Probably around $75 for the repair, plus shipping expenses.

If you need help with a repair, I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Old 12 August 2017, 12:21 AM   #20
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

The hole looked like a small line/crack in the pictures presented by the seller (see pics I put up in response to another persons comment). Seller says lume might've fallen on in transportaion/packaging, which brings us to your second point. Where is it now? I do not see it in the dial anywhere so what that tells me is that either the watch was misrepresented or the lume's now in the movement thru the date aperture. I am not willing to take on that headache when there is an easier way out of this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Did you notice the hole before you bought it?

You'll need another service if much more of that lume drops out and finds its way through the date aperture.
Old 12 August 2017, 12:23 AM   #21
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

The price was market. Not a steal by any means. I bought the watch thinking it looked different. See earlier responses and compare with picture that I have posted versus how it was represented in the sellers ad. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post

Old 12 August 2017, 12:24 AM   #22
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

I tried to look for the lollipop hand and you're right, can find them! I am not sure where the lume went (see responses to other comments for full story) so I don't feel comfortable keeping the watch at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
Just get the hand stabilized. So many 76100s have been replaced with "Mercedes" hands. All lollipop hand lume will eventually shrink and fall out like this. Any watchmaker worth their weight will be able to refill the lume.

I am nearly confident that you will not find replacement lollipop hands.

I have this identical watch. I had it serviced and the hand filled. My watchmaker's wife added coffee to the lume. Picture and it matched perfectly.
Old 12 August 2017, 12:27 AM   #23
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

The price was fine. Just don't know where the lume that fell of is at this point (see responses to earlier comments). Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco8gator View Post
Great watch.

If the price was very good I would keep it and have a very good watch makes address that. You might consider having them stabilize the lume on all the hands.
Old 12 August 2017, 12:40 AM   #24
bazamu
"TRF" Member

Ah, definitely should have led off with the original sale picture! That is, indeed, quite different from what you thought you were getting. Personally, I would keep it and send it to LAWW to have the hour hand re-done. It'll be fairly cheap and their work is second to none. It will also ensure that there won't be any risk of it falling out down the road.

They recently re-did mine. Here's the before:

Here's the after:
bazamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 01:29 AM   #25
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Quote:

THIS is your answer!!!

ps ask the seller to contribute a few bucks
Old 12 August 2017, 01:45 AM   #26
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

Its not the 75 or 150 bucks that I am concerned about at this point. Its the missing lume and what if it has entered the movement via the date aperture. That, if it has happened, calls for a significantly more expensive repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
THIS is your answer!!!

ps ask the seller to contribute a few bucks
Old 12 August 2017, 08:01 AM   #27
watchuneedthemost
"TRF" Member

That looks beautiful! Well, its too late for me now. The watch is already in the mail back to the seller. I was getting a little worried about the lume finding its way to the movement....definitely did not want to deal with that repair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazamu View Post
Ah, definitely should have led off with the original sale picture! That is, indeed, quite different from what you thought you were getting. Personally, I would keep it and send it to LAWW to have the hour hand re-done. It'll be fairly cheap and their work is second to none. It will also ensure that there won't be any risk of it falling out down the road.

They recently re-did mine. Here's the before:

Here's the after:
Old 12 August 2017, 10:28 AM   #28
Autavian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That looks beautiful! Well, its too late for me now. The watch is already in the mail back to the seller. I was getting a little worried about the lume finding its way to the movement....definitely did not want to deal with that repair!

Should have kept it. Its a great looking watch and an easy fix......

Email:Autaviano@gmail.com
Autavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 11:50 AM   #29
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
I should've made this clear earlier. The watch as it was pictured before I bought it had a very small deformity on the hour hand (in fact I could not even tell that it was a hole, it looked like a small crack/line - picture attached from original ad). However, when the watch arrived, it was quite a large hole. So in fact, the watch WAS NOT presented correctly. I notified the seller and was told that some of the lume might have fallen off while it was being transported/packed. This lume could now also have embedded itself in the watch's movement (creating a series of new issues). So to your point, I am not trying to pull one off here or take undue advantage of the sellers return policy. I got the watch and it looked different from how it was represented. I understand that the lume falling off is not the sellers fault, but neither is it mine-and its my money on the line here. Lastly, the seller has a "no questions asked" return policy and I presume they established it fully understanding the repercussions of this policy (i.e. some customers will have buyers remorse and will return product). They chose this policy; not me, and its the way they do business. If it was causing them a lot of remorse I am sure they would revisit and revise their return policy.
Completely different story.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:32 PM   #30
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
The price was fine. Just don't know where the lume that fell of is at this point (see responses to earlier comments). Thanks!

In the movement.

Probably happened during shipping. I would want the watch if the seller was willing to pay for a service. I would pay to have the lume fixed during the service. You are right. Not easy to find and that is why I would fix.

But there is only one place for that chunk of lume to go, and it isn't good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote