The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2017, 01:01 AM   #61
hitman23
"TRF" Member

butter face is all I can think of when it comes to the skydweller
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 01:05 AM   #62
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
Bye bye Mr. Angry old man. You are now on my ignore list. Post away. I won't see it.
You'll do about anything to avoid the truth; take a good long look in a mirror, friend.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 01:15 AM   #63
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
Always thought the fluted bezel makes it look like a datejust but movement aside, that dial looks way cooler than a datejust. I am excited to see the price come
Down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skkali168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 01:18 AM   #64
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I don't understand why someone takes offense on behalf of a wrist watch.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 01:22 AM   #65
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
Sorry guys , but who is ignoring who now ? I've lost track . This thread is like a classic domestic in a marriage , remember why we got together in the first place ,it was our love of watches that brought us together . But then differences of opinions creep in & before you know it your not talking anymore . Keep it up, I love a good domestic .
I hate going to domestics, too much paperwork and kinds dangerous too!!!

PS, I love the looks of the Milgauss!!!!

Last edited by Widows Son; 19 August 2017 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: spelling
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 01:24 AM   #66
pw98
"TRF" Member

To each there own opinion. I think it's a gorgeous watch and I would be happy to own one.
pw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 01:25 AM   #67
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Years ago when the Milgauss came out everyone was chomping at the bit. They went for way over retail and now they can't give them away. Hype 101.

I know we want what we can't easily get. I know we want to be the first to have what others can't. So I will say this and likely get destroyed but here goes...

The watch looks to me like a Date Just. Sorry but it does. Cool movement, yes. Integrated bezel as part of the movement, nice. Does anyone need a watch to tell you the damn month? I find that almost laughable. It's essentially a GMT.

It's a nice watch. I would wear one. I like it on a strap. I would not pay out the old wazoo to get one. It just doesn't check that many boxes for me. No intent to offend anyone, just offering some thoughts on a watch discussion forum.
Good to know for sure!
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 01:29 AM   #68
jackjack305
"TRF" Member

I believe the functionality is what drives people to this watch. Regardless of whether it looks like the GMT or Datejust. Rolex sticks to simple watches but they certainly spiced things up with the Skydweller.
jackjack305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 01:44 AM   #69
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Not a watch I'd buy, ever - I think its very unattractive. But then I love the YM2, which others hate!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 01:48 AM   #70
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Not a watch I'd buy, ever - I think its very unattractive. But then I love the YM2, which others hate!
agree with the sentiment.

Rolex in particular, due to their fairly conservative design language tends to create the odd expectation among people that every watch they make needs to appeal to them personally. What a boring world that would be, without those few polarizing ones.

I love the Sky Dweller personally, and dislike the YM2. Thats a good thing IMO.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 02:01 AM   #71
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
There could be another thread here , what's your most polarising watch . Or the watch you would never buy or wear even if it was given to you free of charge.
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 02:01 AM   #72
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The SkyD is so typical Rolex, fluted bezel, cyclops, monochrome dial options on the first PM batch that I loved it from the moment I first laid eyes on it.
Some really cool first time features, like the operating bezel, upright logo on the crown and the ceramic inserts on the bracelet. It's a must have for me and will make my other Rolex watches obsolete. still saving up ...
Old 19 August 2017, 02:10 AM   #73
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I certainly don't hate the YM2 I just have no use for a count down timer on my wrist. Now if I were still racing in regattas I'd be all over it. With the SkyD I have a need for both a GMT and I really appreciate the annual calendar. Yes it is a bit redundant looking to my blue stick fluted DJII but then again maybe it's time to trade the DJII in towards something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Quote:
...So I will say this and likely get destroyed but here goes...

...Does anyone need a watch to tell you the damn month? I find that almost laughable. It's essentially a GMT.
Seems to me like a direct slam to owners or those who want the Sky D by someone who hadn't done their home work. Certainly not offended "on behalf of a wrist watch." As an early owner and supporter I don't like being accused publically of being "laughable" especially by someone who is ill informed, who knew he was offending others, and who did it anyway. At any rate, enough of the drama. I apologize if I seem overly sensitive on this; I certainly am not free from mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
The SkyD is so typical Rolex, fluted bezel, cyclops, monochrome dial options on the first PM batch that I loved it from the moment I first laid eyes on it.
Some really cool first time features, like the operating bezel, upright logo on the crown and the ceramic inserts on the bracelet. It's a must have for me and will make my other Rolex watches obsolete. still saving up ...
Amen!!! (BTW, the upright crown isn't on the SS model that I can tell).

Old 19 August 2017, 02:39 AM   #74
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
I have a different take on the Sky Dweller. When I first saw them I was intrigued, but something about the dial with the (to me) over-sized Arabic and Roman numbers, along with the off-centered, contrast-colored GMT dial made the watch seem off-balanced and not a wholistic artistic statement.

Rolex, in what I am coming to admire more and more, went back to the design drawing board and with all the new models, and especially with the blue, have hit this one out of the freakin park, IMO.

The tone-on-tone approach to the GMT dial (completely innovative to me) takes away the off-balanced feel. It's a beautifully-rendered complication. The stick numbers are striking, assertive, and gorgeous.

And the perpetual calendar date function is an inspired stroke of design genius. I get that it's necessary for the perpetual calendar but the incredibly subtle markers, using the 12 hours to denote the 12 months is so striking in its simplicity that I've no doubt they labored for years to come up with this solution -- great solutions seem so elegant, inevitable and simple, but usually are the result of months and years of dogged work and hundreds if not thousands of iterations.

My take is that the first Sky Dwellers had the Arabic and Roman numerals because of the small date flag (the flag by the 8, August).

But I also think that design just didn't 'feel right.' People know the 12 numbers on their watch. The date flag by the '8' stick still tells me August, in the most beautifully simple way I can imagine. Hat's off, Rolex!

That blue Sky Dweller is just a wonder to behold. I can't wait to see it and the other new versions in person!

Last edited by jstan9; 19 August 2017 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: Typos!
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 02:48 AM   #75
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I love the Sky Dweller but it is just sooooooo close in appearance to my blue baton fluted DJII I just couldn't justify getting it. Love that annual calendar though, just from a "cool factor" perspective. Love gagetry like that. Also very neat how you turn the bezel to set it's various features.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 03:31 AM   #76
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Seems to me like a direct slam to owners or those who want the Sky D by someone who hadn't done their home work. Certainly not offended "on behalf of a wrist watch." As an early owner and supporter I don't like being accused publically of being "laughable" especially by someone who is ill informed, who knew he was offending others, and who did it anyway. At any rate, enough of the drama. I apologize if I seem overly sensitive on this; I certainly am not free from mistakes.
No worries, Lee. Not aimed at you more like a general observation and I agree some comments are hard to accept or ignore.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 03:40 AM   #77
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
I certainly don't hate the YM2 I just have no use for a count down timer on my wrist. Now if I were still racing in regattas I'd be all over it. With the SkyD I have a need for both a GMT and I really appreciate the annual calendar. Yes it is a bit redundant looking to my blue stick fluted DJII but then again maybe it's time to trade the DJII in towards something else.
To be honest I don't, and probably never will, use the Regatta timer, I bought my YM2s as I love the overall visual design and blue bezel. By the same token I hate the off centre sub dial of the SkyD, which to my eye looks awful.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 04:00 AM   #78
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

I'm a fan and am counting the days until delivery.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=553180
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 04:35 AM   #79
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
Different strokes for different folks. It's as simple as that. Personally, I think it's a pretty cool watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Great watch with a great movement. It's not everyone's cup of tea. No biggie.
Quote:
^^^^The voices of reason.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 04:48 AM   #80
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
All this and not a single picture...
And..
Does it skip the days from Feb 28th to March 1st or you have to do it manually?

Old 19 August 2017, 04:52 AM   #81
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
And..
i know right, no pics... but there are ALS and PP pics here. Strange.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 04:54 AM   #82
ny_yeti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatronMTL View Post
wow , i never really checked out the sky dweller until now, had no idea it kept track of month, thats pretty cool!
Me either! Learn something new everyday!
ny_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 05:02 AM   #83
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
And..
It's not a perpetual so no, it doesn't cover the Feb-March change.

Here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170814_070800.jpg (123.4 KB, 340 views)
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 05:25 AM   #84
AutoBay
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Odysseus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Personally I don't get the BLNR frenzy either, but each to their own.

Who needs a watch that tells the time in two/three time zones? Don't you have a smartphone? Or can't you count up to 24?

Do you even need or use the 24 hour hand? or did you just buy it for the blue and black bezel?

All joking aside - have you tried one on your wrist? Its one of those pieces that looks much, much better in the metal than in pictures.

Unlike the BLNR (on my wrist anyway)

FWIW, I use the second time zone feature all the time when traveling...and while I can count, sometimes it's just easier to look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AutoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 06:07 AM   #85
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post

Here's a pic
Looking good!!! Correct, it doesn't cover the Feb 28th/29th to March 1 change. That is why it's an annual calendar and not a perpetual. Still pretty sophisticated for a Rolex. I might add that the 24 hour ring tone/color difference isn't discernable to my eye while the watch is on my wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
butter face is all I can think of when it comes to the skydweller
OK??? No idea what that means???

Old 19 August 2017, 06:12 AM   #86
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post

Here's a pic
Great shot Bill
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 07:19 AM   #87
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Looking good!!! Correct, it doesn't cover the Feb 28th/29th to March 1 change. That is why it's an annual calendar and not a perpetual. Still pretty sophisticated for a Rolex. I might add that the 24 hour ring tone/color difference isn't discernable to my eye while the watch is on my wrist.

OK??? No idea what that means???
"Butterface" is a joke about describing a woman. "But her face..."

I'm guessing the poster brought it up because he doesn't completely appreciate the beauty of the SkyD dial.
Old 19 August 2017, 07:50 AM   #88
jrc1896
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Not a fan,of the look personally, though it is growing on me. I do admire the complexity of the movement. To each their own though, that's why Rolex makes different styles after all. Don't have to love them all.
jrc1896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 08:24 AM   #89
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
"Butterface" is a joke about describing a woman. "But her face..."

I'm guessing the poster brought it up because he doesn't completely appreciate the beauty of the SkyD dial.
I get it now; thanks!!!

Quote:
To be honest I don't, and probably never will, use the Regatta timer, I bought my YM2s as I love the overall visual design and blue bezel. By the same token I hate the off centre sub dial of the SkyD, which to my eye looks awful.
I'm not interested in watches that I have no application for. I think the YM2 is a cool watch and as I said I'd wear one if I had the application although at 42mm the Sky is large on me. The YM2 would likely cross the line of being too large for me as a daily.

I really get that you don't like the design of the SkyD. Personally I love it, so on that we'll have to disagree. As other's have said in the thread; I too think it is a bit of design genius following the Rolex tradition and integrating new function in a minimalistic manner. Look at it in comparison to the other ACs in this thread. It makes them look like piece meal collections of functions. The PM versions with contrasting ring, numerals, and high cost made believe I'd never own one. The stainless model overcame all the issues I had.

Old 19 August 2017, 08:31 AM   #90
rjstuf001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Made in Suisse
Quote:
This.

Happens quite often on this forum.
rjstuf001 is offline   Reply With Quote