The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 August 2017, 11:30 PM   #1
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

5513 Acquisition Questions

Hello all, I'm looking at acquiring a 1986 5513 and had a few questions. Is it normal for the bezel on these models to turn with a high degree of difficulty ? I'm having trouble rotating it and since the more modern versions are on click springs I didn't know if this is the norm. Also, it has a plexi crystal which I'm assuming shows scratches and scratches more readily than a sapphire crystal. Other than that it looks impeccable. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 11:34 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
You need to push down slightly on the bezel as you turn it, then it should turn smoothly (both directions). This stops it turning accidentally, in theory anyway.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 12:38 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
These old bezels should turn fairly easily (in both directions), and if yours doesn't that means it might have some dirt stuck under there. Just pop off the bezel assembly to clean underneath it.

As for the acrylic crystal .... yes, it can scratch, but it's also easy to remove the scratches with some Polywatch or similar product. The good news is that acrylic crystals don't smudge like sapphire crystals. I actually find that a lot more annoying.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 01:59 AM   #4
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
These old bezels should turn fairly easily (in both directions), and if yours doesn't that means it might have some dirt stuck under there. Just pop off the bezel assembly to clean underneath it.

As for the acrylic crystal .... yes, it can scratch, but it's also easy to remove the scratches with some Polywatch or similar product. The good news is that acrylic crystals don't smudge like sapphire crystals. I actually find that a lot more annoying.

Thanks. Any tutorial how to remove the bezel without damaging the watch ? Also, the scratches are really that noticeable unless you loupe it so removing them isn't a deal breaker.

HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 02:16 AM   #5
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 gilt chapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Thanks. Any tutorial how to remove the bezel without damaging the watch ? Also, the scratches are really that noticeable unless you loupe it so removing them isn't a deal breaker.

Look on YouTube there are plenty of videos about removing the bezel. I'd take the bracelet off and use a knife with some plastic over it to pop it off.
Blakerhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 02:18 AM   #6
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Electrical tap on a lug to stop any damage and a small pen knife
It should pop off easily
Nickn is online now   Reply With Quote