The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 August 2017, 10:48 PM   #1
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 Matte Sub
Humidity on the inside of submariner case

Hey guys, I recently had my 16800 serviced by a local watch tech because the winding rotor was loose. He did a great job with the repair, however I dipped my watch partially in water while fixing a boat and now it seems to have some humidity on the inside of the glass. I'm assuming that the guy that did the repair did not properly reseal the case. I took it to him to prevent a $600 service bill and losing my original parts to the service center. I have a case back tool, should I open it up and let that humidity out, unscrew the crown and put it in some rice or just bite the bullet and get it properly resealed by Rolex? Unless anyone has suggestions for where I could take it to be resealed in upstate NY??
Old 21 August 2017, 10:53 PM   #2
Time taker
"TRF" Member

I would hack the movement and get the back off asap. You will more than likely need a service to stop the movement parts corroding. If it was saltwater, get it in for a service today!
Time taker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 10:57 PM   #3
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time taker View Post
I would hack the movement and get the back off asap. You will more than likely need a service to stop the movement parts corroding. If it was saltwater, get it in for a service today!
Just cruddy upstate lake water... might be worse...
Old 21 August 2017, 11:01 PM   #4
Time taker
"TRF" Member

Either way I would hack the movement and get it back to your watchmaker as soon as you can. From my (limited) experience, there's no going back once moisture has entered the watch - I think it will need servicing and the dial /hands/case will need to dry out to prevent damage
Old 21 August 2017, 11:10 PM   #5
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Either way I would hack the movement and get it back to your watchmaker as soon as you can. From my (limited) experience, there's no going back once moisture has entered the watch - I think it will need servicing and the dial /hands/case will need to dry out to prevent damage
But if he didn't properly reseal it in the first place, should I actually be bringing it back to him...? I just called a local dealer and they pointed me to another place that supposedly has a certified reseal whatever you call it. Shouldn't I bring it there?
Old 21 August 2017, 11:17 PM   #6
Time taker
"TRF" Member

I would say so but it depends what the deal was. I've had many watch repairs from independents and all have cautioned me that the watch may not be waterproof if they did have a the means to test it. Conversely, if the watch was tested, they would generally let you know too. Did he warn you? Is the case back loose??

If it's going to cost you to put it right, I would be having a discussion with him to find out what went wrong in the first place. You might also want to get a second opinion too!

Btw - did you check the crown wax screwed down tight when you touched the water?
Old 21 August 2017, 11:21 PM   #7
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

I would call him and ask why the watch was not sealed properly. If the explanation is that he didn't do a water test, or lack of parts, etc, then I would send it back and make sure this time it is done properly. If the explanation is something else, eg. case integrity... the I would send it to a RSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 11:25 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEWLIO View Post
Hey guys, I recently had my 16800 serviced by a local watch tech because the winding rotor was loose. He did a great job with the repair, however I dipped my watch partially in water while fixing a boat and now it seems to have some humidity on the inside of the glass. I'm assuming that the guy that did the repair did not properly reseal the case. I took it to him to prevent a $600 service bill and losing my original parts to the service center. I have a case back tool, should I open it up and let that humidity out, unscrew the crown and put it in some rice or just bite the bullet and get it properly resealed by Rolex? Unless anyone has suggestions for where I could take it to be resealed in upstate NY??
Condensation on the inside of the crystal is generally an indication that there may be a problem Now condensation will quite normally occur when any warm/hot watch is suddenly exposed to a cold environment i.e. if you enter cold air/water then shortly after warm/hot water or visa versa. In normal circumstances this will appear as a very fine mist and should disappear in seconds, minutes, or a hour or so when the watch warms up. This is quite normal as the air trapped inside your watch after say a service will have a small amount of water vapour as it's just like normal humidity in the atmosphere, if it disappears quickly all is well. Now if the misting appears as clearly definable droplets of water and does not clear quickly when warm, then it signifies that water has entered the case.Now this will NOT evaporate of its own accord and will need to be removed then afraid its off to the RSC as soon as possible,advise then to put the stopped watch in a bag of dry rice grains.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 11:41 PM   #9
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would say so but it depends what the deal was. I've had many watch repairs from independents and all have cautioned me that the watch may not be waterproof if they did have a the means to test it. Conversely, if the watch was tested, they would generally let you know too. Did he warn you? Is the case back loose??

If it's going to cost you to put it right, I would be having a discussion with him to find out what went wrong in the first place. You might also want to get a second opinion too!

Btw - did you check the crown wax screwed down tight when you touched the water?
The crown was screwed down when it was dipped. And the caseback doesn't seem to be loose. He also didn't warn me about that.
As to other replies. The fogging on the inside just looks like smudges around the edge of the inside. It has also been changing since I noticed it. But it's not droplets, just smudging.... and it's been there for 24 hours now
Old 21 August 2017, 11:43 PM   #10
Time taker
"TRF" Member

Pictures speak a thousand words......
Old 22 August 2017, 12:01 AM   #11
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

_MG_2682.jpg
Quote:
Pictures speak a thousand words......
Is this clear enough? It was hard to get it in the picture because you can only see it in certain light
Old 22 August 2017, 12:38 AM   #12
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
i would take caseback off. and i would get it fully serviced. that is a great looking watch.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 12:48 AM   #13
BubbleDate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36
I would never take it to him again. Legally speaking, get it fixed and ask for an assessment/ damage report and ask for pressure test especially, after explaining the issues to the repairer. Then contact him by registered mail outlining the issue(s), ask for an explanation in writing (as accidents do happen) and what he proposes to do about it. Ask for a timeframe of response. If you're not happy his response and its doesn't match your independent assessment, go see Judge Judy with all your proof. Good luck.
BubbleDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 12:58 AM   #14
dafuture
"TRF" Member

At this point I'd bite the bullet and bring it to Rolex. It'll cost you, but it's better than ruining your watch.
Old 22 August 2017, 01:42 AM   #15
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

What about if I unscrewed the crown and put it in some rice to draw the humidity out until I can get it to a proper service? Any recommendations for or against that?
Old 22 August 2017, 03:00 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
What about if I unscrewed the crown and put it in some rice to draw the humidity out until I can get it to a proper service? Any recommendations for or against that?
Because most of the seals are inside around the stem, and another one in the crown, I find it unlikely that this is the source of your leak. Also, opening the crown seldom opens the watch up to the environment for the cell-phone/rice trick to actually work.

One of the weakest seals is the crystal to case seal, but without a pressure test you will never know.

You can only see the condensation on the crystal because it is clear. There is likely condensation on everything else too, which must be dried off and the surfaces re-oiled...
Old 22 August 2017, 03:15 AM   #17
trebor
"TRF" Member

Rush to an authorized ROLEX repair shop.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 03:25 AM   #18
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

So are you guys positive that's condensation and not just smudges??
Old 22 August 2017, 04:05 AM   #19
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

Found a local place I can get it to after work and have them look it over and solve any issues!
Old 22 August 2017, 04:43 AM   #20
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
smart getting it looked at asap. but if you are at nyc i would just bring it to rsc. they may be your best bet if something did go wrong and you have to go the judge judy route.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 04:46 AM   #21
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
smart getting it looked at asap. but if you are at nyc i would just bring it to rsc. they may be your best bet if something did go wrong and you have to go the judge judy route.
I always worry about them taking my original parts out though, thats why I went local to begin with.
Old 22 August 2017, 05:22 AM   #22
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Quote:
This ^. I would demand that the local watchmaker make it right and then after that, take it to an AD to get it pressure tested and have their watchmaker pop it open to make sure everything looks fine

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 05:37 AM   #23
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wach16 View Post
This ^. I would demand that the local watchmaker make it right and then after that, take it to an AD to get it pressure tested and have their watchmaker pop it open to make sure everything looks fine
I don't think he has the equipment to pressure test, I know he's capable of cleaning it and making sure the water is out, but Id rather just have it checked out from this place I'm going to soon. Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 22 August 2017, 05:40 AM   #24
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Second this comment. I would hack the mvmnt straight away and get it to a watchmaker for further inspection. Good luck!
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 08:09 AM   #25
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

So I just left an authorized dealer(an hour from me btw) who refused to work on my watch because I put an "aftermarket" bezel on it. First I said "it's not aftermarket, it's genuine from a different submariner" and they said with irritation, "no it's not" and then continued to say that as soon as I removed the bezel it broke the seal. I've had this watch for almost 10 years, 5 years with the new bezel insert, same bezel ring, and no water leaks. The guy told me the bezel makes the seal for the crystal, is that true on a 16800? I said I don't think that's true and he got very pissy with me and refused service of any kind. After a minute he said hold on and took it in the back and "put it on a dryer." So the spots on the inside of the crystal are gone but they would not open the caseback to see if it had water in it. He told me that he didn't open the crown when it was on the dryer "so its leaking through the crown" apparently not the bezel like he originally said. With no data to back that up. Cool. I really never wanted to sell this watch, but I'm starting to feel like it was a bad idea. Not sure what to do now besides downgrade to a Tudor heritage.
Old 22 August 2017, 08:21 AM   #26
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
So I just left an authorized dealer(an hour from me btw) who refused to work on my watch because I put an "aftermarket" bezel on it. First I said "it's not aftermarket, it's genuine from a different submariner" and they said with irritation, "no it's not" and then continued to say that as soon as I removed the bezel it broke the seal. I've had this watch for almost 10 years, 5 years with the new bezel insert, same bezel ring, and no water leaks. The guy told me the bezel makes the seal for the crystal, is that true on a 16800? I said I don't think that's true and he got very pissy with me and refused service of any kind. After a minute he said hold on and took it in the back and "put it on a dryer." So the spots on the inside of the crystal are gone but they would not open the caseback to see if it had water in it. He told me that he didn't open the crown when it was on the dryer "so its leaking through the crown" apparently not the bezel like he originally said. With no data to back that up. Cool. I really never wanted to sell this watch, but I'm starting to feel like it was a bad idea. Not sure what to do now besides downgrade to a Tudor heritage.
Send it to la watch works or abc watchw works. Both very reputable.
rushca01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 08:48 AM   #27
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
I always worry about them taking my original parts out though, thats why I went local to begin with.
You haven't got an original bezel insert.
What else is not original?

The more you delay getting it repaired properly at an RSC, it likely won't matter what's actually original or not.
It will turn to junk anyway as you sit here going back and forth on this forum.

Good luck
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 09:14 AM   #28
HEWLIO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
You haven't got an original bezel insert.
What else is not original?

The more you delay getting it repaired properly at an RSC, it likely won't matter what's actually original or not.
It will turn to junk anyway as you sit here going back and forth on this forum.

Good luck
Just that and one part in the movement. The guy at the dealer said he didn't think it was humidity or water, so I'm going to take it back to the guy that repaired it in the first place and have him take the case back off and see if theres water in it or not, if so, ill have him dry it and re-oil it, then worry about the pressure check after that. In the meantime, ill leave it hacked.