The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Kevandra
"TRF" Member

Submariner - Newbie Question

Hello folks,

I have always wanted to own a Rolex. I never thought I would be able to afford it. However, on a recent trip to Aruba I found myself browsing through many of the fine jewellery shops around our resort. I came very close to purchasing a Submariner (no date). It was stunning.

I realize and appreciate that this classic watch has been around a long time. However, I was a little apprehensive when the salesperson could not tell me what year the watch was manufactured - she told me that it could be 7-10 years old. The model number was 14060M and she offerred me a 10% discount. That information surprised me a little. I expected to hear that the watch was manufactured in the last few years - am I nuts? I understand that they don't tinker too much with such a fantastic product - dumb question, but does the Submariner get released every year?

I left the island without a watch and committed to learning as much as I possibly can about the brand and it's history. This is a fantastic site. I spent hours one evening pouring through comments and pictures. Wow, what a passionate bunch.

I must wrap my brain around spending this kind of money on a watch - guilt and a lack of understanding held me back in Aruba. My wife thought I was nuts. It's weird, I'm not a jewellery guy, but I sure want a Rolex.

Thanks,
Kevandra
Kevandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Welcome

Well I think you did the right thing to walk away.

A 7-10 year old watch with only a 10% discount sounds too high....
The watch would be due/overdue for a service and that being so the 10% discount would not even cover that cost.
You should be able to shop around and get more than a 10% discount on a brand new watch.

Good luck and I understand 'I sure want a Rolex'.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 11:59 AM   #3
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevandra View Post
Hello folks,

I have always wanted to own a Rolex. I never thought I would be able to afford it. However, on a recent trip to Aruba I found myself browsing through many of the fine jewellery shops around our resort. I came very close to purchasing a Submariner (no date). It was stunning.

I realize and appreciate that this classic watch has been around a long time. However, I was a little apprehensive when the salesperson could not tell me what year the watch was manufactured - she told me that it could be 7-10 years old. The model number was 14060M and she offerred me a 10% discount. That information surprised me a little. I expected to hear that the watch was manufactured in the last few years - am I nuts? I understand that they don't tinker too much with such a fantastic product - dumb question, but does the Submariner get released every year?

I left the island without a watch and committed to learning as much as I possibly can about the brand and it's history. This is a fantastic site. I spent hours one evening pouring through comments and pictures. Wow, what a passionate bunch.

I must wrap my brain around spending this kind of money on a watch - guilt and a lack of understanding held me back in Aruba. My wife thought I was nuts. It's weird, I'm not a jewellery guy, but I sure want a Rolex.

Thanks,
Kevandra
Absolutely, walk away... crazy pricing... If I am not mistaken current retail on the 14060 is $5825... You should be able to get a 5-15% discount on this from an AD (Serial v or Random which would be from 2009-now and very recent) assuming this is your FIRST purchase from them. You can find lnib here on the forum from about $4400-$5000... These would ALL be watches released/sold within the last 1-3 years.

Another great option would be to purchase from one of the great sellers here on TRF, there are several in the FS section as we speak.

Check it out and welcome to TRF
Old 21 April 2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Danand
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Royal De Versailles in Toronto should have very recent subs. They have a lot of turnover, and typically offer 20-22% off these days.
How much did you pay for your wife's engagement ring?(don't really tell me). It is not hard to justify a sub in relation to that for many. (it's the subsequent purchases that are harder to justify ;)
Danand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Kevandra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danand View Post
Royal De Versailles in Toronto should have very recent subs. They have a lot of turnover, and typically offer 20-22% off these days.
How much did you pay for your wife's engagement ring?(don't really tell me). It is not hard to justify a sub in relation to that for many. (it's the subsequent purchases that are harder to justify ;)
Yes, the engagement ring was very expensive. I'm not prepared to go there, yet! Dumb question, but what is the latest model - does Rolex release Subs every year or only when a cosmetic/design tweak is necessary? It is tough to tell from the Rolex website. I understand the ceramic bezel is a recent enhancement.

Thanks, I plan to make a trip the RDV to see what they have and how the pricing is.
Kevandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Danand
"TRF" Member

The no date model 14060 has been around for quite some time now, there are rumours it's days are numbered but they are just that-rumours. The date model is now the 116610 LN (black) or LV (green). They are the ceramic ones with updated clasp and bracelet. There are still the older 16610 around new at some dealers though.
In general Rolex is not quick to change their models. The previous 16610 was "current" with only minor occasional changes for about 20 years.
There are plenty of threads on TRF about the old versus new models. They are both great watches, it comes down to personal preference and price really. You need to see them in person (on your wrist) to be able to decide between them as far as I'm concerned. Pictures aren't good enough. Good luck!
Old 22 April 2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Danand
"TRF" Member

Btw they should be able to give you a full catalogue with price list if you go in to look.
Old 22 April 2011, 01:22 PM   #8
wdalew5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,omega,casio
The 14060 is awesome....good choice........you won't be let down...I'm wearing mine now. As I type...
Old 22 April 2011, 01:26 PM   #9
fc3s2k
"TRF" Member

Watch: OFFICINE PANERAI
Great that you wanted a Rolex. My very first was a 14060M Submariner, I recently upgraded to the SUB C but kinda miss that watch. You can't go wrong with a SUB and DavidSW have some in his inventory, go check him out. Now you have to decide whether COSC or non COSC SUB!!!!!!
Old 22 April 2011, 01:27 PM   #10
wdalew5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,omega,casio
Non.
Old 22 April 2011, 01:34 PM   #11
robrobin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi Rolex GMT
The AD in Aruba has been around for some time and move a lot of Rolexes. I would doubt that the 14060 was 7-8 years old. Actually I looked through their downtown and hotel stores for a Non-chronometer version of the 14060 at Gandleman and could not find any a few months ago. If it were that old it would have been a non-chronometer model. In the future you should arm yourself with knowledge of Rolex serial numbers. The will give you an approximation of when the case was produced. Not an exact science but close. At some smaller and more obscure AD's I have seen some older vintages of less desirable models still hanging around. So the bottom line is, it would behove you to do some homework before making a large purchase.
robrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Hey fella welcome to the forum. Interesting intro, and we all know exactly how you feel. I seriously doubt the watch was 7-8 years old, but you made the smart decision. No one should ever drop that kind of cash for anything like that with aprehension.

It is a lot to spend on a watch, but it will be something you'll have for life and never be out of style, and very likely be worth more than you paid for it in time. What else can you cay that about? I have the watch you were looking at and love it. If you aquire one, you'll find that there is something special about them. I wish you luck in finding exactly what you want, and do keep us posted.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 08:10 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Armed with a little info on approximate serial numbers and having decided on a non COSC or COSC certified 14060m's you would heve been able to pin the age of the watch down to a one - two year age span. Not that this is really important if the watch is new.
The new COSC certified model with the 'rolex' rehaute is preferred by some over the older model 14060M and some still prefer the older model. You need to do a little research to identify the one you want and go searching for it starting right here on the Forum.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2011, 12:08 AM   #14
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danand View Post
The no date model 14060 has been around for quite some time now
that's an understatement! i think the 14060 has been around since 1990, when it replaced the 5513, which had been around since 1962!

rolex moves verrrrrrry slowly.

2009 16610 Submariner Date
1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
1965 Vulcain Voyager Chronograph
bscepter is offline   Reply With Quote