The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Keats
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Daytona's in the UK

Hello all,

Just wanted to get a feel for what my fellow UK based TRF'ers are seeing in terms of Daytona availability, particularly the black dial.

I have a good friend wanting one and as my preferred AD, who is working hard on a DSSD and Explorer II for me, thought I'd see what you guys are seeing right now.

Sincere thanks,

Stu
Keats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Puffy
"TRF" Member

as the hype died 3-4 years ago there are plenty about
Old 13 April 2012, 02:12 AM   #3
Keats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Good news - thank-you I'll tell my man to approach the AD with confidence, he was still of the belief that there are hefty waiting lists.
Old 13 April 2012, 02:23 AM   #4
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keats View Post
Good news - thank-you I'll tell my man to approach the AD with confidence, he was still of the belief that there are hefty waiting lists.
There are still lists out there but it's very common for a dealer to have to ring their way down the list to get a taker.

Some lists are gone so the Daytona hits the display window or just goes in the safe with the others.

Retail is £7.5k and I have seen ones go privately for £6,250, albeit used.
Welshwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 02:36 AM   #5
Bobble

Watch: GMT IIc, Daytona
Well I called my local AD two weeks ago after a white SS Daytona, (I've bought new from him last year). I was told that they get 2-3 calls a week from people trying to track one down.

I know deep down it's all 'Smoke and mirrors' but honestly try getting one? it's so easy to get one from a Grey dealer but you'll pay £8 - 8.5k, I'm sure they are all coming from legit AD's making an extra couple of quid on the side

Ended up getting a lovely used one myself
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 02:44 AM   #6
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy gold..
Quote:
Not the case where I live Anders mate, no Daytonas at all too be seen new from AD..

www.thewatchguyofficial.co.uk

Got a GREEN Submariner 116610LV.. Visit the official thread here! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=179580

Don't forget to visit the Rolex & Attire thread too! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=215077
thewatchguy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 02:54 AM   #7
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
I was always told that there are plenty of Daytona's at the AD's ?
Never checked it . . .
I going Dutch and buy secondhand ;-)

Same money amount of money in the long run . . . but I'll own more Rolex

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 03:27 AM   #8
Freedom fighter

Watch: SS yachtmaster
The Rolex boutique at one Hyde park puts the steel Daytona in the window as they don't have lists, same as harrods. The manager told me they have sat in the window for up to a week as people presume they are white gold......no such mistake if any of us lot see them!! Lol......got to be very very lucky in my opinion to find new at AD....I bought second hand recently and got a cracking deal........black dial v serial £5800 mint one owner!! New price for me is a no no!! £7490 new, take the stickers off you lose £500 immediately whereas few years ago you would have earned £500! Hype died? Yes. Readily available? No
Freedom fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 03:54 AM   #9
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
I know people say that the hype has died and you can find them relatively easy but i'm still to see one in a window. Even going into ADs and asking you tend to receive the waiting list speech around my area, South London.

I managed to get mine from my AD without being on the list but in fairness I have bought a lot of watches from them so I should hope they value my business

But yeah, from my experience it isn't quite as easy as people make out to track one down at an AD, not to say that it is impossible. I definitely think it is easier than it was a few years ago but they are still tricky to track down. Of the times I have heard about them being available in AD windows, they tend to be in the northern parts of the country, I am yet to see one around the London area and further south.

Just my 2 cents
Al1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 04:40 AM   #10
gazp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Ceramic Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1988 View Post
I know people say that the hype has died and you can find them relatively easy but i'm still to see one in a window. Even going into ADs and asking you tend to receive the waiting list speech around my area, South London.

I managed to get mine from my AD without being on the list but in fairness I have bought a lot of watches from them so I should hope they value my business

But yeah, from my experience it isn't quite as easy as people make out to track one down at an AD, not to say that it is impossible. I definitely think it is easier than it was a few years ago but they are still tricky to track down. Of the times I have heard about them being available in AD windows, they tend to be in the northern parts of the country, I am yet to see one around the London area and further south.

Just my 2 cents

You live in England not the USA so it is not your 2 cents it is your 2 pence :j ustkiddi
gazp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 04:45 AM   #11
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazp View Post
You live in England not the USA so it is not your 2 cents it is your 2 pence :j ustkiddi
Haha apologies, I've been Americanized
Old 13 April 2012, 04:49 AM   #12
The Joker
"TRF" Member

I have never seen one in a window of an AD in the UK since looking for the last couple years.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 04:50 AM   #13
Bobble

Watch: GMT IIc, Daytona
Quote:
Of the times I have heard about them being available in AD windows, they tend to be in the northern parts of the country, I am yet to see one around the London area and further south.
Well you can count the Midlands out, must be further north... anybody know of any up there?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 04:51 AM   #14
Reu
Banned

Quote:

Just my 2 cents

I agree with this.

Whilst they are not as rare as before I don't think they are easy to get hold of still. They do seem to be in limited supply and I know that the AD's will be using this to sensationalise the cack they come out with.
Reu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 05:09 AM   #15
herbie911
"TRF" Member

I got mine without waiting too long. I spoke to 20 plus AD and eventually got a black and white one within one month! My advise is to avoid big cities like Manchester or London where there are plenty of people earning 6 figure salary. Try independent AD in small town with high unemployment! Avoid David M Robinson, Goldsmith, WOS or Mappin and Webb! Unless you had bought a Patek or a few Rolexes with them, you got no chance!
herbie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 05:09 AM   #16
Keats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Well you can count the Midlands out, must be further north... anybody know of any up there?
You're right, I had to call Watches of Switzerland in Birmingham about my next watch and mentioned a Daytona, they said 2-3 years. Not quite sure this would be the answer if pushed hard for myself, given I'm about to purchase my fourth piece from them but seems there's still some resistance out there from some ADs.
Old 13 April 2012, 05:13 AM   #17
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Yeah none in the Midlands, I'm up in Leamington Spa at the moment and the EJ here has never had one in the window. They're quoting a 7 year waiting list
Old 13 April 2012, 05:13 AM   #18
Reu
Banned

Quote:
I had to call Watches of Switzerland in Birmingham about my next watch and mentioned a Daytona, they said 2-3 years
This is why I HATE some AD's!!!! It's SO RIDICULOUS!!!! They must think that people are absolute moron's!!

I hoped you laughed down the phone at them...
Old 13 April 2012, 05:14 AM   #19
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where????? As i have said many times; i have yet to see one in an ADs window in 15 years of looking, whilst i agree that they are not the " sought after, much wanted watch " that they were once percieved to be, they are still hard to obtain, and before you reply !! i am fully aware of the trusted sellers here, but most of them are stateside which can present some problems with the US tax laws.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 05:15 AM   #20
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're right, I had to call Watches of Switzerland in Birmingham about my next watch and mentioned a Daytona, they said 2-3 years. Not quite sure this would be the answer if pushed hard for myself, given I'm about to purchase my fourth piece from them but seems there's still some resistance out there from some ADs.
That sounds about right. When I asked the EJ in the Bullring back in 2010 they said my best bet was the Leslie Davis in Merry Hill. I never following that up but it might help you?
Old 13 April 2012, 05:15 AM   #21
Reu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie 50 View Post
Where????? As i have said many times; i have yet to see one in an ADs window in 15 years of looking, whilst i agree that they are not the " sought after, much wanted watch " that they were once percieved to be, they are still hard to obtain, and before you reply !! i am fully aware of the trusted sellers here, but most of them are stateside which can present some problems with the US tax laws.
Old 13 April 2012, 05:18 AM   #22
Keats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That sounds about right. When I asked the EJ in the Bullring back in 2010 they said my best bet was the Leslie Davis in Merry Hill. I never following that up but it might help you?
Cheers! Merry Hill is very near to my office so I'll pop in and will report back over the next few days. I'm also going to press WofS this weekend when I'm there.

Thanks again!
Old 13 April 2012, 05:23 AM   #23
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cheers! Merry Hill is very near to my office so I'll pop in and will report back over the next few days. I'm also going to press WofS this weekend when I'm there.

Thanks again!
No worries

From my experience most ADs give you the waiting list spiel but if you show them you are serious about purchasing one, preferably in cash they tend to take you more seriously. At least that's how I got my 116520 from my AD.

Best of luck, I hope it works out for you!
Old 13 April 2012, 05:29 AM   #24
Keats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No worries

From my experience most ADs give you the waiting list spiel but if you show them you are serious about purchasing one, preferably in cash they tend to take you more seriously. At least that's how I got my 116520 from my AD.

Best of luck, I hope it works out for you!
Top man! To be honest, the initial interest came from a friend who is also a client, although it has now piqued my interest in adding a Daytona to my own collection. Or should I say it's reignited my passion for the 116520, as it was always my grail but because of the wait, I always managed to get beguiled by easier to obtain pieces.
Old 13 April 2012, 07:32 AM   #25
Lanfor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner-16610LV
I work in an AD and the black dial is a little easier to get than the white dial. It is the white dial that has a real following
Old 13 April 2012, 07:44 AM   #26
Keats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfor View Post
I work in an AD and the black dial is a little easier to get than the white dial. It is the white dial that has a real following
Interesting stuff, cheers! Do you reckon the black dial would still involve a lengthy wait though?
Old 13 April 2012, 07:57 AM   #27
closey
"TRF" Member

I have seen both white and black Daytona's in AD window's, granted not on a regular occurance. I live in NE and visit Newcastle city centre and metro centre Goldsmith's (mappin & webb group). To be honest cant really recall seeing Daytona at metro centre but def have seen both white and black ss models in Eldon Sq.. I havent been since Jan however so unaware of current stock.

Good Luck

To define the location differences my partner purchased a 16610 from Mappin & Webb in Feb 09 (think was Regent St London) after an extensive search of all central London Ad's. It was a gift and we were lucky to be successful.. On return to Newcastle however we saw them in most AD displays!!

Regards
closey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 08:01 AM   #28
Lanfor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting stuff, cheers! Do you reckon the black dial would still involve a lengthy wait though?
Sometimes you get lucky if people on the list pass it up for some reason The black dial list tends to be shorter so sometimes the wait isn't very long at all. It all depends on the allocations an AD receives. They may receive say 3 black in a row, making it more likely for you to be able to get hold of one. If you're really lucky you may find one in a window. Hope this helps
Old 13 April 2012, 08:06 AM   #29
Keats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfor View Post
Sometimes you get lucky if people on the list pass it up for some reason The black dial list tends to be shorter so sometimes the wait isn't very long at all. It all depends on the allocations an AD receives. They may receive say 3 black in a row, making it more likely for you to be able to get hold of one. If you're really lucky you may find one in a window. Hope this helps
Appreciate it greatly - thanks! I'm going into Birmingham Saturday so will have a good look around and will speak with the ADs to see what their thoughts are. Maybe we'll strike it lucky.
Old 13 April 2012, 08:11 AM   #30
Lanfor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Appreciate it greatly - thanks! I'm going into Birmingham Saturday so will have a good look around and will speak with the ADs to see what their thoughts are. Maybe we'll strike it lucky.
If you're are unsuccessful just ring around Different dealerships. If you need any help feel free to PM me