The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 December 2012, 10:37 PM   #1
RolexDivers
Banned

How do you proof you mailed a ROLEX?

Folks,

This is to guard against fraudulent buyers out there, who upon receiving a watch from you, claim the box was empty OR you mailed them a rock, OR you mailed them a $50 g-shock etc etc.

You can film the packaging process, take pics of the packaging proces BUT suppose some crook does claim you mailed them a g-shock, how do you prove to your credit card company OR paypal that you mailed an actual ROLEX?

Thanks,
RolexDivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

wouldn't your photos/film of the packing process show the watch? Good idea, as it's dated as well
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
RolexDivers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
wouldn't your photos/film of the packing process show the watch? Good idea, as it's dated as well
Yes, BUT it doesn't prove that you mailed what you said you mailed. All the packagin /filming proves that on a given date and time, you did have the ROLEX in your possession. I mean papyal can say "what if you took the watch out at the last minute and substituted it with a casio??" --- And paypal is right ---

What if you film your self putting the watch into the box and then hand over the open box to the mail guy behind the counter and tell him to pack it up???
Old 2 December 2012, 10:47 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexDivers View Post
Folks,

This is to guard against fraudulent buyers out there, who upon receiving a watch from you, claim the box was empty OR you mailed them a rock, OR you mailed them a $50 g-shock etc etc.

You can film the packaging process, take pics of the packaging proces BUT suppose some crook does claim you mailed them a g-shock, how do you prove to your credit card company OR paypal that you mailed an actual ROLEX?

Thanks,
Well this subject could be applied to all things you buy on-line that have to be delivered to your home.And in most cases such fraudulent things very very very seldom happen, unless you buy from a non reliable source.Afraid today with Rolex watches there is much paranoia about the brand.And whether its stolen, or is this or that serial better, is it safe to do this or that while wearing etc most is all in the mind IMO.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2012, 11:03 PM   #5
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Bring it to USPS and video/record packing it there in front of them, let them seal it up with tape and leave...?
Old 2 December 2012, 11:17 PM   #6
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Buy the buyer.
Old 2 December 2012, 11:19 PM   #7
RolexDivers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well this subject could be applied to all things you buy on-line that have to be delivered to your home.And in most cases such fraudulent things very very very seldom happen, unless you buy from a non reliable source.Afraid today with Rolex watches there is much paranoia about the brand.And whether its stolen, or is this or that serial better, is it safe to do this or that while wearing etc most is all in the mind IMO.
You are correct Padi --- we have lots of irrational fear in us and we always assume the worst. For the casual rolex owner, I am sure this is all irrational fear but for some heavy sellers on TRF, I think with volume of sales, the statstics can become somewhat relevant.
Old 2 December 2012, 11:29 PM   #8
skipp231
"TRF" Member

Watch: mickey mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
buy the buyer.
+1!
skipp231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 12:06 AM   #9
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Isn't that why we ask for references even from buyers?
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 03:36 AM   #10
RolexDivers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Isn't that why we ask for references even from buyers?
Very true .... if we do as you said, it would never come to this...
Old 3 December 2012, 03:56 AM   #11
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

At least in the US, the burden of proof is on the accuser. The preponderance of your own evidence pics/video etc) would tip the scales in your favor.

Of course, only selling to trusted buyers helps. I have cancelled at least 4 eBay Rolex sales this year due to low references.

Lastly, a seller can always use an escrow service when selling to unknown or low ref. buyers to cut any BS out of the transaction.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 06:31 AM   #12
RRsDJ

Watch: 16078 / 16618
You can't prove it. That's why you should think twice and either sell it to a buyer on here with a history of buying or sell it locally to avoid the hassle.

I recently sold a DJ for $6400.00 and USPS will not touch your package (tape it up) if youre mailing it registered mail, which I hope you are because it's the most secure way.

The best you can do is go to the counter, start your video by showing the serial number in the rehaut or remove the bracelet to show it between the lugs and then box it up on the counter in front of the USPS worker and end the video when you walk out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RRsDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 10:09 AM   #13
watchf
"TRF" Member

IMO fliming the process doesn't do much or anything in most cases if someone is out to scam you. My opinion in the best way to prevent getting scammed is to 'buy the buyer/seller' as everyone has said, not to sell expensive items on ebay if you are not a commercial bulk seller who have lost bugeted in, never to use paypal to receive payment for high value items, if everything above ticks then make sure you use the safest shipping method. I learnt from experience.

If you really want to make it safe to the utmost level, getting a law firm as the party who witness and process the transaction and delivery might be an option. That means the law firm is the middle party and everything goes through them before going to you or the buyer but that would mean the item has to be worth alot more than the fees involved!
watchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 10:28 AM   #14
RRsDJ

Law firm? Rolexes arent their field of expertise. How would a lawyer know what youre shipping is an authentic Rolex or not?

The only way to 100% prove what you are shipping is an authentic Rolex with matching serial / model number as per the sale is ship it through a Rolex AD and have them do an appraisal before they themselves box it up and ship it for you. I highly doubt an AD wants to get involved in selling someone elses Rolex unless youre a very good customer.
Old 3 December 2012, 10:47 AM   #15
watchf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRsDJ View Post
Law firm? Rolexes arent their field of expertise. How would a lawyer know what youre shipping is an authentic Rolex or not?

The only way to 100% prove what you are shipping is an authentic Rolex with matching serial / model number as per the sale is ship it through a Rolex AD and have them do an appraisal before they themselves box it up and ship it for you. I highly doubt an AD wants to get involved in selling someone elses Rolex unless youre a very good customer.
You are jumping to your own conclusion as I wasn't referring to authenticity but providing possible solutions to the questions asked by the OP. You could link an AD in with a law firm if that is what you want to achieve in proportion to the price of the watch you are selling.
Old 3 December 2012, 01:46 PM   #16
RRsDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchf View Post
You are jumping to your own conclusion as I wasn't referring to authenticity but providing possible solutions to the questions asked by the OP. You could link an AD in with a law firm if that is what you want to achieve in proportion to the price of the watch you are selling.
My point was a lawyer does not specialize in Rolex watches. So they witnessed a watch being shipped or even they ship it. That doesn't prove a Rolex was shipped.

Good luck OP in however you choose to do an out of state deal. Word to the wise, don't use Paypal!

Old 3 December 2012, 02:04 PM   #17
SPARTAN2161
Banned

Watch: me flip
I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH OUT REFERENCES. The only safe way is to buy the buyer and vice versa. If there guy is sketchy and rushing the deal, etc. its in your best interest to move on. Also if its price is too good to be true there is a reason behind it.
SPARTAN2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 02:21 PM   #18
watchf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRsDJ View Post
My point was a lawyer does not specialize in Rolex watches. So they witnessed a watch being shipped or even they ship it. That doesn't prove a Rolex was shipped.

Good luck OP in however you choose to do an out of state deal. Word to the wise, don't use Paypal!

They are the best legal 3rd party entity to verify the process as I have done to receive high value item (watch). It does not matter if its a watch or a piece of jewellery or money, as far as verifying the item has been sent out of your hands through an indepedent party as witness with legal responsibility to the buyer is the point. No point arguing about it, as I see it if the OP stick to the basics in lowering the risk of fraud prevention it would not come to anything more complex than what was already mentioned by others and myself.
Old 3 December 2012, 02:58 PM   #19
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Insurance and references... All you need for a good transaction.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 03:01 PM   #20
mjm800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Buy the buyer.
Yup, insurance and Bank Wire Transfer.

I'm not selling to anyone without references and I'm not buying from anyone without them either.
Old 3 December 2012, 05:29 PM   #21
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

When I bought my TT GMTc and one of our very good sellers was the escrow agent. This was a new seller, and the new seller shipped it to our finest seller on here, I sent wire transfer to him and he checked the watch for me and released the funds to the new seller. Easy Peasy, I am forever great full to the very best seller on here. He 'offered' to do this for me and the new seller.

I'll never forget his act of kindness. And the orginal seller of the GMT (gabby) has become a great seller as well now on TRF

Everyone was happy !!!
Old 4 December 2012, 12:48 AM   #22
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Bring it to USPS and video/record packing it there in front of them, let them seal it up with tape and leave...?
I tried this once about ten years ago when shipping something of value, the UPS woman flipped out and basically refused to comply and basically kicked me out of the store. I didnt know if I was in the right or wrong so I didn't t follow up with UPS management.
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2012, 01:13 AM   #23
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
There is a risk to most things in this life. Buy a car and you might get a lemon...then try to prove it. Buy a collectible and it does not turn out to be as collectible as you thought. Buy a diamonds and then find out that appraised value is not the price it can be sold for ( or replaced for that matter.) All you can do is be educated about what you buy, who you buy it from and their reputation for honesty or service. If you are selling then this is true as well. To further reduce that risk transfer it to someone else via insurance or warranty. Whether the cost of that transfer is worth it must be evaluated. The old axiom " never risk a lot for a little" holds true here as well.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2012, 01:53 AM   #24
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
I'm pretty sure you can't do that. I asked to take a picture of the box before I shipped before and was told that wasn't allowed at USPS.

My answer to original post is insurance and references.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2012, 03:18 AM   #25
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Buy the buyer. I've even acted as the middleman/courier for two people on watch purchases granted one was a friend!

I recall almost shipping a Rolex to a trusted seller via FedEx and the amount of insurance I required (over $5k iirc) required the package to be inspected by the shipper.

I wasn't comfortable with that practice being that everyone working there looked fresh out of high school so I left and shipped with USPS instead.

The practice doesn't guarantee a Rolex nor did I understand how the person inspecting the package could appraise such a piece, but it does insure that you're not sending $5000+ of packing peanuts in a small box.

I like the idea of taking a short smartphone video if it's allowed
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote