The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2024, 02:58 AM   #61
MAINEZX10
"TRF" Member

I have a 116520 & 16600 that I purchased in 2006-2007. I have never serviced them as I can not wear them daily due to my job, so usage is not as high. Sometimes I wonder about the lifespan of the watch being water resistant. I really do not want to service the watch unless I absolutely have to. I would like to keep them with all the original parts, and if the water resistance fails, I will have no choice but to have them serviced. They are getting close to 20yrs old so that’s makes wonder how long they will stay water resistant. In the almost 20yrs no issues though.
MAINEZX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 03:41 AM   #62
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Until the seals fail. You can get them tested, which is probably a good idea at this point.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 05:16 AM   #63
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINEZX10 View Post
I have a 116520 & 16600 that I purchased in 2006-2007. I have never serviced them as I can not wear them daily due to my job, so usage is not as high. Sometimes I wonder about the lifespan of the watch being water resistant. I really do not want to service the watch unless I absolutely have to. I would like to keep them with all the original parts, and if the water resistance fails, I will have no choice but to have them serviced. They are getting close to 20yrs old so that’s makes wonder how long they will stay water resistant. In the almost 20yrs no issues though.
Over time the seals will become brittle or move out of place slightly, especilly the crystal to case seal.

Risk is yours to decide. Will it fail now, or can I go another 20 years - nobody knows, but it will eventually degrade over time.

Replacing the seals is good insurance.
Old 13 January 2024, 05:18 AM   #64
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 05:31 AM   #65
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Water resistant for how much time ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
O/T, but how do you clear them? I was just snorkeling at The Wall in Grand Turk. Our guide was able to free-dive down a good 40 feet with no problem. I got down maybe 15 feet and felt like my eardrums might literally burst. I figured he knew something I didn't, but I didn't get a chance to ask him.

If you’re scuba diving, pinch your nose, and “blow out your ears”. You will feel an inflating sensation. If it doesn’t work the first time, you may have to ascend a few feet and reorient your head while doing it.

If you’re freediving. Seal your epiglottis Imagine making a “k” sound multiple times as you’re descending. This method is called Frenzel equalization and is really something you have to figure out with trial and error. In a controlled environment with an experienced diver buddy of course. Not something you do your first time out snorkeling

Note. When I say “seal your epiglottis” you’re really using the back of your tongue to do it. Not the actual anatomical structure
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 06:20 AM   #66
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Until the seals fail. You can get them tested, which is probably a good idea at this point.
Until the seals fail seems to be the right answer. I would think that process is not an issue for the first ten years in most cases. No pun intended.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 06:58 AM   #67
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Just so OP knows, Rolex tests their watches to 125% depth rating, so there is design margin built in.

Normal swimming, snorkeling, they never have to come out of water. They will not leak, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to bring some clarity around this.
Only the Rolex diver watches are pressure tested to 125% of their depth rating just as it is with pretty much any reputable brand that adheres to the relevant ISO standard for divers watches.

The rest of their range including their professional models are tested to 110% of their pressure rating.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 07:12 AM   #68
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxime_D View Post
So below 10 years of use without service you consider it’s a 0 risk to take it underwater ?
I would say, most probably.

There was one very unlucky person on the forum that allegedly had to send his newish DSSD back to Rolex(I think 3 times) to fix the water resistance after some moisture got into it when was using the hot tub.

It's quite rare but it can happen.
There are no absolute guarantees and less as the watch seals and gaskets age like a slippery slope.

Personally, I would have a high degree of faith in a Rolex assembly up to 10 years for normal use(no diving), but after that it is increasingly becoming a roll of the dice as the seals age.
Old 13 January 2024, 07:16 AM   #69
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDive View Post
Your watch maker is a dope.
Really.

Please go on?
Old 13 January 2024, 07:24 AM   #70
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I don't think that's a fair comment.

Sounds like the watchmaker is giving general advice, and that has to cover a broad range of people and watches and 'generally speaking' older watches have a tendency to leak. This is normally because people neglect to have them serviced so the gaskets and/or plexi hasn't been changed in 35 years. Even some newly serviced vintage watches are no returned with the caveat that they are no longer guaranteed water resistant. This is normally if the parts required to seal it are no longer available or are declined by the client.
Quite right.

It's the "watch dealer" giving out that advise.
Which is conservative taken at face value, but prudent from the dealers perspective.
I imagine a watchmaker would be more confident given experience
Old 13 January 2024, 07:43 AM   #71
MAINEZX10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Over time the seals will become brittle or move out of place slightly, especilly the crystal to case seal.

Risk is yours to decide. Will it fail now, or can I go another 20 years - nobody knows, but it will eventually degrade over time.

Replacing the seals is good insurance.
I agree with replacing the seals but I really would like not to have to service the rest of the watch.
MAINEZX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 08:21 AM   #72
sien
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
Until the "end of time" (literally).
sien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 08:46 AM   #73
Wrathchild
Banned

Mine imploded in a glass of water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0647.jpeg (192.9 KB, 22 views)
Wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote