The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 5 April 2020, 06:18 AM   #1
WC74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Which entry level Panerai and thoughts on Panerai for a woman?

Hi

I want to add another watch soon and have been doing some research in all the spare time at home I have at the moment. I have found Panerai quite cool looking and I like their simple appearance but aside from that I don't know anything about the brand so I have a few questions.

First, I have decided I like the Radiomir with the wire loop strap holders. However I have noticed that the Luminor is more popular. Is the Luminor better for any reason or is it just people's preference?

Next, I have picked out the Radiomir Base Logo 45mm (PAM00753) and the Radiomir 8 Days 45mm (PAM00610) as watches I especially like. As you can see I am looking at the entry level as I have a limited budget. Are either of these a good entry into the brand? Is there anything wrong with the Base Logo line? Is it worth spending the extra to get the 8 Days?

Or maybe there is a totally different Panerai you would recommend? My budget is around $7,000.

My last question is about how will it wear and do you think a Panerai could suit a female? I like larger watches but my biggest watch is my Tudor Black Bay dive watch which is 41mm and fits on my wrist with room I'd say to go up a couple of mm more but I'm not sure about a 45mm watch! I have quite large circumference wrists at just over 6 inches and quite flat wrists so I can wear the Tudor but I don't know if a Panerai would be too much. I know the best thing to do is to try it on but that is tricky at the moment!

If you want to either answer my specific questions or just give some general advice to someone new to the brand it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
WC74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 10:08 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Welcome to the forum

I'm a wire-lug Radiomir fan, too. I went with the 00754 (Black Seal with small seconds) because the right deal turned up on one that was pre-owned but unworn. I was considering a 00753, too, because the symmetry of the dial without small seconds is pretty appealing.

I think it'll fit. Other watches I wear are 41mm-42mm, and the 45mm Radiomir fits me perfectly. The proportions of the case and strap are dynamite for these models, and I think you'll dig them.

I have no need for 8 days of power reserve, and my sense is the 3-day movement may run at more stable rates than the 8-day movement (although I have no data to support this, just posts from this and other fora).

As much as I love my Black Seal, I'm noodling a trade right now for a Radiomir 00424, with a 47mm wire-lug case and a California Dial

My Black Seal...

The 00424 I'm thinking of trading for. What do you think?...

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 10:39 AM   #3
burneyr
"TRF" Member

I'll try and assist - welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of reasons to choose either a Luminor or a Radiomir. It's just preference whether you like the ''onion'' or the locking lever. I will say if you enjoy changing straps the Luminor is far far more convenient. I might change my Radiomir strap twice a year, but my Luminor sometimes three days a week. If the Rad appeals to you there is no reason not to go in that direction. You will likely end up with both anyway.

Speaking for myself - I am not a fan of Panerai's in house movements. I will eventually end up with one, but I am putting it off as long as I can. Panerai service seems to be a mixed bag with just enough horror stories to make me skeptical. I prefer the older ETA based models as my watchmaker can service any of those easily and inexpensively. The newer movements have steadily increased in quality, but I remember the early 8 Day models running fast for a good number of forum members. I wouldn't spend extra money for 8 Days of reserve.

Given my prejudice for the older models and your size request I would be looking for a Radiomir 210. If you like the second hand there are so many Base logo Radiomir 380 models out there under $4,000 you could be picky about finding one. I noticed one dealer had six available alone. Neither the 210 or 380 are rare and you can find a nice one well under your stated budget even if you figure an immediate service into the price.

I have a Black Bay Red, and I believe you will find a Radiomir to wear about the same. The Rad will look bigger since the dial is larger with no rotating bezel, but the real estate it will occupy will be similar. I would take a photo for you in comparison, but I have a 232 and it is 47mm instead of 45mm.

I hope this is of help. There are far more knowledgeable Panerai fans here that will soon be along to add. Best of luck in your decision and again welcome!
burneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 11:01 AM   #4
Beauregard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
PAM112

Super cool 1st Panerai. It's got all the right features and wears well with almost anything.
Old 5 April 2020, 11:31 AM   #5
jestrada
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 216570 Pol
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Regarding your first question about why the Luminor models seem more popular than the Radiomir models, it stems from having the iconic crown guard that is perhaps the most recognizable “trait” of a Panerai and sets it apart among any other watch brand out there, IMO. When you see any Luminor model, you’ll almost immediately know that it’s a Panerai, even from a far precisely because of the iconic crown guard. They’re more masculine and ruggedly sporty compared to a Radiomir especially the wire lug models which tend to be a little bit more casual/dressier IMO.

That being said, the Radiomir models are still quite popular and hold a rich history on their own right. Your choice of the base model Radiomir is a fine one. As a matter of fact, Panerai base models are quite popular as it represents the true DNA of the brand which is a utalitarian, “un-complex” tool watch.

As for the wearability, most Panerai models 44mm and below wear well IMO and one should not be quick to judge on their size (the 47mm and up models are another story; those tend to suit specific types of wrists i.e. more beefy ones). Since you mention that you have flattish 6” wrists, I suspect the Radiomir will wear just fine. You can also check out the Luminor Due line in case you haven’t to give your more options...Good luck and whatever it is, I’m sure it will be a fine choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jestrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:02 PM   #6
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I would recommend the 610 over the 753. But if you are looking at those and don't mind buying used, have a look at the 210.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:04 PM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Size is all relative. They are ‘big’ watches and supposed to be so. My only advice is to try before you buy (probably impossible for a while currently), as you may be surprised at what fits comfortably. I originally wanted a Radiomir, but 42mm and 45mm felt too small and just a little disappointing and the 47mm looked like a dinner plate! I now have a 233 Luminor, but recently tried on 3 47mm Radiomir; classic 232 and the new 720 and 721 and if I had the money I’d take the 232.

Don’t buy until you can try!!
Old 6 April 2020, 05:12 AM   #8
WC74
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all for the answers. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to post. It gives me a lot to think about!

AEC - thanks for the pictures, really nice and very enabling pictures!! Also I agree the California dial is very nice.

I like all of the watches suggested, especially the 112 as it is even simpler and cleaner looking, but I would like to buy new as I like the idea of getting the manufacturer warranty and also I do not feel that I am experienced enough to know what to look for when buying second hand.

Yes I will be sure to try on before buying. I will probably buy after this virus thing is over with anyway, just making the most of the time to do some research now.

Many thanks again, everyone.
Old 11 April 2020, 05:31 AM   #9
WC74
"TRF" Member

Just bumping this thread up to ask a very mundane question - sorry.

What is the situation with Panerai pricing? Are you lucky to get one at RRP as with Rolex steel sports, or can you ask for a discount? I am guessing a boutique is less likely to discount than an AD?

Many thanks in advance and sorry for the vulgar question!
Old 11 April 2020, 05:49 AM   #10
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC74 View Post
Just bumping this thread up to ask a very mundane question - sorry.

What is the situation with Panerai pricing? Are you lucky to get one at RRP as with Rolex steel sports, or can you ask for a discount? I am guessing a boutique is less likely to discount than an AD?

Many thanks in advance and sorry for the vulgar question!
Not a vulgar question; it's something we all deal with.

In what part of the world do you plan to transact? If in the USA, there are a few Authorized Dealers who typically offer reasonable discounts (depending on supply/demand for the model you choose, of course).

I've had very easy dealings with Radcliffe in the USA.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 04:13 AM   #11
WC74
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reply AEC. I’m stuck in London right now but usually am all over the US and Europe. I’m thinking if I buy in Europe I could claim the tax back which makes the RRP lower than US but then again if US dealers may be more willing to discount I would buy there, so really anything is an option.
Old 14 April 2020, 09:07 AM   #12
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

I would not trade a women for a Panerai, that would not be within my values and I’m pretty sure it’d be illegal too... also I really like the ones I have, both the woman and the Panerai :)

On a more serious note, you may want to check out the Pam 574, my Fiancee wears this quite regularly with straps in various colors. Looks fantastic on her. As the slender watch that it is it expresses the shapes of the Rad case more gracefully than many other models and with 42mm, it isn’t overbearing on a delicate wrist.

As for the pricing question, there is a fairly clear oversupply of these watches due to a series of unfortunate decisions on the distribution model that were made in years past. As a result, Panerais have been a buyer’s market for a few years now and you should push hard enough to get treated to a fair discount (as you will lose similar or more value if you ever resell). Only very few models have a stable or increased resale value with Panerai. That shouldn’t detract you from what are great watches, but you should account for it when negotiating.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 04:47 AM   #13
WC74
"TRF" Member

Haha

Thanks for the post Nav01L. I didn’t know that about the supply. I will bear that in mind when negotiating!

Thank you very much.