The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 April 2020, 12:11 PM   #1
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Grand Seiko - New Movement & SBGA229

Hello all,

I am interested in purchasing a SBGA229. However, I see that the new 9RA5 movement is starting to show up in the new models. I know no one has a crystal ball - but based on previous models, how long is it between model updates with GS? I am guessing it may be a while on the 229 seeing the update was only released in 2019, unless I am mistaken?
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 12:38 PM   #2
Hosum
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGA387
I could be very wrong, but my prediction is that it will be a few years or perhaps never for the 9RA5 movement to be in the SBGA229.

Looking at the price point of the 9RA5, SLGA001 ($11,100 USD MSRP), the price is at a whole different level compared to the SBGA229 ($6,000 USD MSRP).

We might see more and more re-vamped 9R65 movements, but keep in mind that the 9R65 was created in 1999 and still released in models to this day.
Hosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Yess
"TRF" Member

Yeah, 1999, hence why I was thinking the new movement may be included in the existing line up refreshes.

There's more to the SLGA001 than the movement, of course, which can make up some of the cost difference, but I think if they are trying to flog a new movement at a higher price point in something like the 229 that would be a mistake.

One of the selling points for me (and likely others) is that I can get a 229 at close to half the price of a Sub. That's hard to find fault with.
Old 1 May 2020, 12:40 PM   #4
Mifune
Banned

as far as I know, the 9RA5 is slated to only be in one watch this year... and it ain't a cheap watch.

as soon as I saw that they had released a new hi-beat I wanted it... until I saw what they put it in and how much it cost. we NEED that 9Ra5 in a Diver... like a SBGH... two five five or two five seven style... maybe even a SLA017/SLA0037 or SLA033 watch.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:57 AM   #5
Pattymac
Banned

Watch: BLNR
I think you're referring to the 9SA5, which is the new high beat movement currently available in the SLGH002.
My guess is they do limited releases of new movements to sort of beta test them before a larger rollout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
as far as I know, the 9RA5 is slated to only be in one watch this year... and it ain't a cheap watch.

as soon as I saw that they had released a new hi-beat I wanted it... until I saw what they put it in and how much it cost. we NEED that 9Ra5 in a Diver... like a SBGH... two five five or two five seven style... maybe even a SLA017/SLA0037 or SLA033 watch.
Pattymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:32 AM   #6
Yess
"TRF" Member

Yeah they have put it in the SLGA001 - which will be out in August. But I can't see the value in the double the cost of the SBGA229.