The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 5 May 2020, 02:52 PM   #1
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

SLA017 running very fast

so I’ve owned an SLA017 for a bit over a year (warranty dated 7/2017) and it’s always run a bit fast but nothing concerning—always somewhere between like 8 and 15 second per day fast.

now during quarantine I’ve been wearing the watch a bit more than usual—working and loafing around at home, occasionally jogging, nothing crazy—not so much paying attention to the accuracy (let’s face it, the hours have been blurring into one another a bit the last couple months)...

then I notice the watch is running seemingly way faster than usual. I check it and it’s 56 seconds per day fast!!

anyone else experienced that with this watch? I figure I’ll need to take it in whenever stores re-open but 3 years seems like kind an annoyingly short interval jf it needs a full service.

Any thoughts???
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 10:30 PM   #2
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
One possible reason could be that it has become magnetized.
Stud Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 01:36 AM   #3
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
My monster does the opposite. Tends to run slow when off the wrist. Definitely could be magnetized in your case.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 03:51 AM   #4
Mifune
Banned

magnetized is a definite contribution possibility but I doubt it accounts for all 56 seconds a day. I think that movement is not carefully regulated before leaving the factory despite the cost... get it regulated then decide.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 06:30 AM   #5
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
It definitely sounds magnetized. You can demagnetize it and see where it is at. Time it over 72 hours, not 24.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 10:36 AM   #6
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
magnetized is a definite contribution possibility but I doubt it accounts for all 56 seconds a day. I think that movement is not carefully regulated before leaving the factory despite the cost... get it regulated then decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
It definitely sounds magnetized. You can demagnetize it and see where it is at. Time it over 72 hours, not 24.

thanks—sounds like I’ll take it in once things reopen. not sure if I want to mess around with a demagnitizer I find on amazon without knowing what I’m doing...
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 11:21 AM   #7
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
thanks—sounds like I’ll take it in once things reopen. not sure if I want to mess around with a demagnitizer I find on amazon without knowing what I’m doing...
They're so easy to use. I bought mine on Walmart for like $8.00. YouTube has videos on how to do it. You'll see how simple. I do it when the watch has stopped running. I put it crystal down, press button, hold watch on it for a second, then slowly lift about a foot while keeping your finger on the button. Then unplug it. Takes about 7 seconds

You can always hold your watch under a compass and see if the needle moves. If it moves then it's magnetized.
Old 6 May 2020, 12:00 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
They're so easy to use. I bought mine on Walmart for like $8.00. YouTube has videos on how to do it. You'll see how simple. I do it when the watch has stopped running. I put it crystal down, press button, hold watch on it for a second, then slowly lift about a foot while keeping your finger on the button. Then unplug it. Takes about 7 seconds

You can always hold your watch under a compass and see if the needle moves. If it moves then it's magnetized.
Though apparently popular, I don't think that's a very reliable or indicative test. I have watches showing near-perfect timing and zero beat error that will move a compass needle.
Old 6 May 2020, 12:09 PM   #9
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Though apparently popular, I don't think that's a very reliable or indicative test. I have watches showing near-perfect timing and zero beat error that will move a compass needle.
Interesting! I'll have to check some of mine. I've seen a compass go wonky when a magnetized watch is under it.

https://youtu.be/jwZbNGmRA8g
Old 6 May 2020, 12:57 PM   #10
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
You can go to a store that uses magnets for theft detection (like homedepot) you can run you watch over the gray pad on the check out counter. It is a de-magnetizer.
Old 6 May 2020, 01:55 PM   #11
larryccf
"TRF" Member

curious, how does a watch get magnetized?
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 02:37 PM   #12
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
curious, how does a watch get magnetized?
https://wornandwound.com/watches-and-magnetization/
Old 6 May 2020, 03:10 PM   #13
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Interesting - i hadn't thought about microwaves
Old 7 May 2020, 02:49 AM   #14
Mifune
Banned

magnetic fields and microwaves are two different things...
Old 7 May 2020, 03:41 AM   #15
larryccf
"TRF" Member

yeah, but microwaves have fairly strong transformers close to the control panel where you make time, temp adjustments. Some of the microwaves are running 1500 watts, which mean at the least a 1500 watt transformer. Put a compass near your microwave's control panel while it's running

at least in computers, the PSU (transformer) is in the rear of the cabinet

here: https://www.dummies.com/programming/...-transformers/

What You Need to Know about Transformers

By Doug Lowe

A transformer combines the two basic principles of magnetism and inductance by placing two coils of wire in close proximity to one another. Here are the principles that the transformer exploits:

A changing current passing through a wire creates a moving magnetic field around the wire.

A changing current will be induced in a wire that’s exposed to a moving magnetic field.

When a source of AC is connected to one of the coils, that coil creates a magnetic field that expands and collapses in concert with the changing voltage of the AC. In other words, as the voltage increases across the coil, the coil creates an expanding magnetic field. When the voltage reaches its peak and begins to decrease, the magnetic field created around the coil begins to collapse.

The second coil is located within the magnetic field created by the first coil. As the magnetic field expands, it induces current in the second coil. The voltage across the second coil increases as long as the magnetic field expands. When the magnetic field begins to collapse, the voltage across the second coil begins to decrease.
Old 7 May 2020, 12:30 PM   #16
Mifune
Banned

I reiterate... a microwave IS NOT a magnetic field.

electricity and other wave forms MIGHT BE ABLE to generate a magnetic field, but it's still a magnetic field that effects the metals in a coil.
Old 7 May 2020, 01:18 PM   #17
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
I reiterate... a microwave IS NOT a magnetic field.

electricity and other wave forms MIGHT BE ABLE to generate a magnetic field, but it's still a magnetic field that effects the metals in a coil.
not sure what you're reading in my post that indicates i said microwaves cause or create a magnetic field - I'LL SAY IT REAAAALLLY SLOW, AND PLEASE, YOU READ IT REALLY SLOW

the transformer creates a magnetic field, and considering most microwaves are running 1500 watts+ transformers, that's a decent magnetic field.
Old 7 May 2020, 08:41 PM   #18
Jostack
"TRF" Member

I would be more inclined to think a magnetized watch happens from being in close proximity to gadgets with magnets. Computer/tablets, devices with magnetically connected chargers, money clip, etc.

You could have something with a strong magnet near to your watch without even realizing it. Magnetic fields decay exponentially with distance from the source, so it is pretty uncommon. Not so uncommon that you could say ‘it almost never happens’, because it definitely happens. But it’s not from normal exposure to your everyday electronic devices.
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote