ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 August 2016, 06:15 AM   #1
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Eric Ku Interview About Rolex Daytonas

https://www.revolution.watch/the-pau...ng-to-eric-ku/

Hey Guys:

The head honcho of Vintage Rolex Forum gave this interesting interview recently.

Pretty awesome, if Paul Newman's get you excited!

Photo from the article....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Daytona Gold One of Kind.jpg (59.1 KB, 612 views)
Old 2 August 2016, 06:47 AM   #2
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Great stuff thanks for sharing.
Old 2 August 2016, 07:07 AM   #3
speedolex
Banned

Great read! I especially liked hearing Eric chime in on the 'patina' debate:

Q: I appreciate and feel a longing towards tropical dials, but honestly some supposedly tropical dials in auction catalogues just look like they were shat out of the ass of a civet cat to me. How do you feel?

This has been a debate going around in collector’s circles. Because the word “tropical” is used to describe the naturally occurring brownish patina on watch dials, but there is no real definition. So what does that mean? It means beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I tend to think of a tropical dial as something aged beautifully with even patina — and that to me is really beautiful. Then you have watches like a Submariner that was beat up its entire life, the dial is pockmarked and has changed color, not naturally, but because the surface is blistering. That’s garbage to me.

Q: And every auction I see iterations of aged dials bestowed with new creative nomenclature…

These are just terms made up by dealers to sucker novices. Thankfully, I feel the collecting world is pretty intelligent and they catch on pretty quickly. Even now, you’ll see something in an auction catalogue described as tropical and it’s not, it’s just ugly. For example, the Double Red Sea-Dweller that I sold you. That has a nice, even brown hue to it. It’s not pitted or spotted. That’s something that nine out of 10 people would look at and say, ‘That’s really nice.” Human beings are engineered to appreciate beauty and when it comes down to it, any aged dial should be genuinely beautiful to most people, as opposed to something that is all spotty and looks crappy, and that only the seller seems to like.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 09:16 AM   #4
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
A civet cat. Hmmm. Look that up in your Funk and Wagnall.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 09:27 AM   #5
Gnomon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

And Google Kopi Luwak for added context/resonance :P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2 August 2016, 09:38 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
[QUOTE=Gnomon;6897980]And Google Kopi Luwak for added context/resonance :P

That's why I gave up coffee. You just never know.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 09:58 AM   #7
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

A great read and good to hear the thoughts of one of the leading vintage Rolex dealers Thanks for sharing
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 10:08 AM   #8
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

But not like this of course! http://10pastten.com/watch/ta730 or this http://10pastten.com/watch/ta519 or what about a Submariner "non-date", whatever that is! http://10pastten.com/watch/ta703
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 11:01 AM   #9
Gnomon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
[QUOTE=springer;6898001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomon View Post
And Google Kopi Luwak for added context/resonance :P
Quote:

That's why I gave up coffee. You just never know.
Tried it once. Pleasant enough and didn't taste like like it came out of a Civet's butt, but also wasn't commensurate with the price I paid for the experience.

Apparently there is a thriving fake Kopi Luwak industry. Some of the 'better' fakes are made by attempting to replicate in vitro the stomach acids and enzymes of the beast in question.

To get back to the thread, what Eric Ku says makes perfect sense. If a vintage watch's dial isn't visually appealing and looks like it's had a dose of smallpox, then don't pay attention to any verbiage in the sales pitch. Beauty *is* something we instinctively recognise. One doesn't have to be Roger Scruton to get that.
Old 2 August 2016, 11:21 AM   #10
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To get back to the thread, what Eric Ku says makes perfect sense. If a vintage watch's dial isn't visually appealing and looks like it's had a dose of smallpox, then don't pay attention to any verbiage in the sales pitch. Beauty *is* something we instinctively recognise. One doesn't have to be Roger Scruton to get that.
The "beauty" of commercial objects is the product of merchants and marketing, nothing more. Goyard bags are not especially beautiful but they are a beautiful piece of marketing.
Old 2 August 2016, 11:28 AM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I suppose this could be called a real tropical dial in the sense that this watch was sold as a "Tropical Watch" in its native Singapore (by a Rolex AD) in the 1940s. I doubt most people would find this dial particularly attractive, but I like it, and enjoy wearing it. Perhaps because it only cost me $25.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gammeter in the Sun zoom.jpg (110.4 KB, 492 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 02:09 PM   #12
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
But not like this of course! http://10pastten.com/watch/ta730 or this http://10pastten.com/watch/ta519 or what about a Submariner "non-date", whatever that is! http://10pastten.com/watch/ta703

the first two examples are very appealing looking tropical dialed watches and the third is a non-date submariner. what's the mystery?
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 03:08 PM   #13
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
the first two examples are very appealing looking tropical dialed watches and the third is a non-date submariner. what's the mystery?
The gold sub has a dial that looks like an example of the excrement that the interview is mockingly critical of but dressed up verbally to perhaps have an interesting sleazy past! Marketing. People are fully justified in liking it or any form of Patina of course, not being dictated to by Mr Ku or anyone else.

What is a non-date Submariner!
Old 2 August 2016, 04:11 PM   #14
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
The gold sub has a dial that looks like an example of the excrement that the interview is mockingly critical of but dressed up verbally to perhaps have an interesting sleazy past! Marketing. People are fully justified in liking it or any form of Patina of course, not being dictated to by Mr Ku or anyone else.

What is a non-date Submariner!
well your first comment is a bit subjective as most vintage enthusiasts would be drawn to the two tropical dialed examples regardless of your caustic opinion, and your last question is rather self-explanatory as one would assume a non-date submariner is a watch without date function. i don't quite get the animosity of people towards experts and respected dealers in this hobby as Eric's opinions are just as valid as yours, and he was not dictating anything.
Old 2 August 2016, 04:25 PM   #15
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the first example (gold Sub) is not what I would call appealing.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 04:59 AM   #16
Ghould
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The dial on the gold sub is beautiful. It's like a gold sub with a birchwood dial. Not what is generally considered tropical, but still beautiful.
Ghould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 05:12 AM   #17
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
well your first comment is a bit subjective as most vintage enthusiasts would be drawn to the two tropical dialed examples regardless of your caustic opinion.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding you clearly: You believe that most vintage enthusiasts would be drawn to this watch and would pay a premium because instead of brilliant sunburst blue the dial looks like a rusty hubcap?

Another one from Eric's site, this time with a bezel that is faded beyond hope.

In the article, Eric correctly points out that dealers too frequently make up their own terms to sell rubbish, isn't he doing the same thing himself?
Old 5 August 2016, 05:19 AM   #18
Ghould
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post

I just want to make sure I'm understanding you clearly: You believe that most vintage enthusiasts would be drawn to this watch and would pay a premium because instead of brilliant sunburst blue the dial looks like a rusty hubcap?

In the article, Eric correctly points out that dealers too frequently make up their own terms to sell rubbish, isn't he doing the same thing himself?
Rusty hubcap? Faded beyond hope? Are we looking at the same watches here?
Ghould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 06:33 AM   #19
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghould View Post
Rusty hubcap? Faded beyond hope? Are we looking at the same watches here?
I'm not sure. Here's how I would describe them:

The YG Submariner has a dial that is supposed to be radiant blue and instead looks like the bottom of a soiled diaper.

The GMT has a bezel that is supposed to be blue and looks like a junkyard 1971 Buick Impala that's been out in the Arizona sun for 40 years.

I, like many others, like some gentle patina. These are beyond hope. I wear one of these, I show them to family at Thanksgiving, they say "wow, when are you going to get it fixed?"
Old 5 August 2016, 06:56 AM   #20
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
the dial on that gold sub is absolutely vile to my eyes at least.....
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 09:44 AM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1 View Post
the dial on that gold sub is absolutely vile to my eyes at least.....
Agreed. Not for me. I see no problem with the pepsi bezel though
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 10:35 AM   #22
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:

yes it's my opinion that most enthusiasts would like the tropical dials shown and no i don't think he is selling rubbish. hope that helps you to understand me clearly?
Old 7 August 2016, 01:54 PM   #23
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Eric Ku Interview About Rolex Daytonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

I was curious so I did google it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 05:35 PM   #24
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
I was curious so I did google it...

The coffee is smooth once you get over the process lol

Old 7 August 2016, 09:34 PM   #25
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
yes it's my opinion that most enthusiasts would like the tropical dials shown and no i don't think he is selling rubbish. hope that helps you to understand me clearly?
A few enthusiasts in this forum perhaps, but no way in the real world where most of us read The Emperors New Clothes as children.
Old 8 August 2016, 09:28 AM   #26
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
A few enthusiasts in this forum perhaps, but no way in the real world where most of us read The Emperors New Clothes as children.
it's obvious that we have different opinions but your harsh criticisms of the guy and saying things like "selling rubbish" and "no way" are declarations that basically flies in the face of reality. it's no secret that loads of vintage enthusiasts aside from a few members in this forum find patina, faded and "tropical" watches pleasing. you don't and i'm fine with that so let's not beat this dead horse. like it or not, people vote with their money and these types of vintage watches do command a premium.