The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2015, 06:09 AM   #91
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
At age 63 Rolex had never ever been on my radar.

Then, one day I read an article in an old Cigar Aficionado magazine about Rolex. I was impressed by the history and care that went into manufacturing each watch. Told myself one day I'd own one.

With that little niggle of a thought I began casually investigating Rolex and their different references. My interest went from BLNR, to Explorer II, to the SubC 114060.

Six or seven months after reading the article my wife and I decided that we were in a place that if I really wanted to do it I could. We had some financial goals that were met, some charity giving that we really wanted to complete and were able to fund this year's Roth. So, I was clear.

Committed to the SubC, I was killing time at the AD waiting on the bracelet to be fitted and tried on the SD4K. The Sea Dweller is now on my wrist.

I really, really like this watch.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2015, 06:10 AM   #92
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Was 18 when i got it, right when the ceramic sub no date was released. Got it as a gift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg (113.8 KB, 206 views)
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 11:16 AM   #93
hasema
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I first wanted a rolex when i was in HK at 18 years old. It would have been a graduation present but i decided on a Tag instead. Fast forward 20 years and now I am 38. My wife offered to get me a watch for fathers day/wedding gift. I spent a couple months looking online and eventually thought i would get a Zenith. I then migrated to IWC and JLC looking for an Annual calendar. I mentioned to her i always wanted a Daytona. She said she could get me the old one and it took about 12 hours for me to agree over text.

Couldn't be more thrilled. I still need to find an annual calendar for my collection. Just not this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160614_181047.jpg (57.4 KB, 190 views)
hasema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 09:44 PM   #94
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Until I decided I wanted it
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 01:25 AM   #95
scooplove
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I had been hemming and hawing over it for a year or so, in anticipation of my 45th BDay. I was on a business trip in NYC last month and visited the Rolex store on 5th Ave to view, but alas, the SDDS was the unicorn of the store. Flew back in to LA, called the AD at my local mall to inquire on my way home from LAX. Turns out one had come in that very morning. Had the guy put it on hold. 2 hours later, it was on my wrist.
scooplove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 07:19 AM   #96
PatrickJ
Banned

That is a beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinter View Post
I got my EXP a month ago, @ age 36, new from AD after having researched it for about 2 years. I really like it's understated elegance. Attachment 581644
Mine says hello. I first wanted a Rolex from 2004, at 43 got mine this week. I have had two vintage Omega's and two modern ones. They have all since been sold. No other watchmaker at this price point can offer a better alternative to "the Rolex way"

Patrick J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1.jpg (15.8 KB, 178 views)
PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 07:26 AM   #97
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I first noticed a 16233 TT DJ when I was 20 yrs old. I did not get mine until 30 yrs later for my 50th birthday. It's my first Rolex & one that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 09:50 AM   #98
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Didn't like any Rolex models until the ceramic bezels and updated clasps and bracelets came out
Friends and family had Rolexes, and I just did not like the clasps and hollow links

So the timing of getting my first Rolex had little to do with my life but rather with the watch features
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 11:37 AM   #99
damcv62
"TRF" Member

It might have been two weeks for me. Maybe not even that long. Hadn't really thought about them before my buddy started linking me to threads on here.
damcv62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 11:44 AM   #100
Timesurfer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Daytona BLNR
Maybe a couple of years but had been jonesing for one for decades, just wasn't sure which one I wanted... Now i'm hooked!
Timesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 12:09 PM   #101
Big Jay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 14060M
After almost 33 years of life. Monday, July 18th to be exact. I had wanted one for just over a decade.
Big Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 12:43 PM   #102
Lucassm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLNR
39 years old I spent years buying watches that looked like rolexes. The quest is finally over courtesy of a GMT master II BLNR. I feel this is the start of an addiction.
Lucassm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:38 AM   #103
Atleo
Banned

I was 34. I sold an omega planet ocean that I hadn't ought to have bought to begin with. All of the things I expected I'd like about the omega, ended up being things I didn't care for. The size, and noticeability ended up being turn offs. I loved the see through case back but it added to the size. So, I sold it.

I was able to save the difference for the Rolex I wanted within a few months. I hose the 2016 explorer. It is on my wrist as I type this. It's an excellent watch and has had the interesting effect of making me want another Rolex.

It is an interesting watch in that it looks rugged when needed and quite dressy when desired as well. I didn't expect that from the stainless steel. But it's wonderful in its simplicity.

I kind of miss the date window but it enough to be bothered by it.

Interesting post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Atleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:51 AM   #104
Partagas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DD
I wanted one for a few years and pulled the trigger at age 31. Still have and wear it today...
Partagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:54 AM   #105
gyro
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
I'm curious... after deciding on the exact watch you wanted, how long did you wait until you purchased it? ).
2 years :)
http://canwatchco.ca/showthread.php?...-2-year-search
gyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 11:00 AM   #106
manans25
"TRF" Member

I wanted it as a wedding present that my father-in-law was going to gift me. Instead, he bought and Omega Constellation. I waited 7 years to finally buy it.
manans25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 12:34 PM   #107
LBC4225
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Ceramic
I waited until I reached my sales and income level I desired at work, which took me nearly 10 years to achieve. I waited until I could afford to have my wife stay at home and look after my son, which was another huge goal of mine. To me personally, my Rolex was an achievement piece for many things.... However, if I could only afford a Timex, I would still be just as proud.... The Lord has truly blessed me and my family.

To each there own....

IMG_4698.jpg
LBC4225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 01:53 PM   #108
kwinky
"TRF" Member

As soon as I could pay cash.
kwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 05:14 PM   #109
nobbylon
Banned

Watch: DSSD
I was 12 in 1976 reading NatGeo in the school library when I got hooked on Submariners, GMT's and Explorers. I spent the next 10 years watching them increase in price and then sold a BMW R100 I had at the time, it was everything I had and my new Sub 16800 cost me £800 new after 20% discount for cash. I wore it for 25 years 24/7 before resting it and 30 years to near enough the hour I bought it I gave it to my daughter who had played with it as a baby. That was 1st Oct 2016. I replaced it with my DSSD bought 14 days earlier after a two and a half year wait on the fence.

Old
IMG_0160.jpg
New
IMG_0525.jpg
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 05:34 PM   #110
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I never saw myself as a Rolex guy.

Ten years ago, my first Christmas as a married man, I asked my wife for a Speedy as a gift. Instead she gifted me with a DJ.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 05:51 PM   #111
Pongster
"TRF" Member

And now, ten years after, got my second crown. A smurf.

Hopefully, one or two more in the next ten years. Thinking of a Daytona and a President.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:01 PM   #112
DTintheHouse
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I was never into Rolex (yes I used to be so wrong), maybe because my dad had them and I thought they were old people watches. Two years ago I started to show an interest and my preferred Rolex was the Daytona. About 6 months ago I started to research and decided I wanted to get the 116520 black dial, I just missed out on a piece end of November and yesterday I finally found the perfect watch for me.
DTintheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 01:38 PM   #113
watchdoc123
"TRF" Member

40 - my wife bought me a gold presidential for my birthday. I was very spoiled!
watchdoc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 10:15 AM   #114
bobcam1
"TRF" Member

My Sub C, the only Rolex that I own, was a 65th Birthday present to myself....well worth the wait!
bobcam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 03:04 AM   #115
oneilchris555
"TRF" Member

Icon7

I had decided a year before I actually brought my rolex, I was 31. I did alot of research to find out the best watch for me.

Ironically now i'm in the same boat regarding rubber straps. I've been researching for the best rubber strap for about 6 months now and I'm leaning towards Rubber B, anyone else have experience with them?
oneilchris555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 04:16 AM   #116
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
It took me 2 weeks from the moment i decided i wanted one and placing the order. Another 5 weeks waiting for it to arrive. Luckily, already had a budget available for the purchase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170624_102750-1250x703.jpg (181.2 KB, 54 views)
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 04:21 AM   #117
sager
"TRF" Member

Probably about 2-3 months. BLNR was my first Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 05:27 AM   #118
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

I was reading watch magazines for about 18 years prior to finding archieluxury's videos on Youtube.

I craved his vids and it took archie several months to convince me to go for Rolex (true story).

I could not be happier with my exp1!

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 09:06 AM   #119
WatchesAreCool
"TRF" Member

Short answers: Bought a TT Blue dial Sub at 29 years old, knew I wanted a Rolex 4 years prior but not sure exactly which model, I had the money before going to AD, tried on a few models on a Friday and went back to buy the Sub on Saturday

At 25 I settled into a job that I liked and I started getting good at. With the first lump-sum bonus of my early career I bought a Tag-Heuer Auqaracer, which really got me into watch collecting.

Shortly after the Tag purchase and really getting into different brands and models, I knew my next purchase had to be a Rolex. The notoriety, reputation, classic designs, and durability made Rolex an easy choice.

At 29 (earlier this year) I had experienced a few good years at work and had been socking away all the commission checks I earned. I felt that I had enough saved to cover upcoming "life bills" (house down payment, wedding, engagement ring, etc) in an investment account, and was debt-free which to me meant it was Rolex time.

I liked submariners but the classic black dial was very common as my dad and grandfather had one and I wanted to be a bit different. The price tag for YG sub was tough to swallow so I got serious about a BLNR. I had hated TT until it hit my wrist, which changed my entire perspective on TT watches. I tried on BLNR, TT Sub, and a few others at AD one day then went back the next morning to buy the TT Sub.
WatchesAreCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 09:19 AM   #120
WatchesAreCool
"TRF" Member

Re: my post above. TRF loves pictures

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WatchesAreCool is offline   Reply With Quote