The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 April 2017, 06:12 PM   #1
DL001
"TRF" Member

Vintage Tudor Submariner

Hi All
I was given my dads Tudor when he pastaway at Xmas, he brought this pre 1972 Olympics which he competed as a sailor for New Zealand so timing across the start line was quite important. No papers but a local Rolex Jeweller has authenticated. And given the info

Vintage Tudor submariner wristwatch with Rolex Crown and Case back. Stainless steel case and Rolex Jubilee bracelet. Blue dail with patina which is consistent with the age of the watch.

model: 7021/0
Serial no: 743042

I have been given a replacement value of nz $5,150.00 which is the price of a current 79230B
My question is it 1970 ? And what would be a realistic sellers value its time keeping is perfect. My father wore this watch regularly while sailing in yachting events. It has a small chip on the glass face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1391.jpg (114.8 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1389.jpg (83.7 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1352.jpg (93.3 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1390.jpg (91.8 KB, 563 views)
DL001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 09:19 PM   #2
jdog111578
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 7016, 94010
Wow. Very nice piece you have there and sorry to hear about your father. You are correct in dating the watch to 70'. As far as the value, it isn't allowed on the forums, but you should have a look around the for sale section as well as some of the reputable sites and you can gauge you value from there. The crystal can, and should be replaced and isn't necessarily too expensive to do. Be sure if you do have it serviced that they DO NOT change the dial, hands, of the insert. Id leave that crown on as well vs going with a replacement. I can only assume that that is your fathers name engraved on the side. I would assume you are keeping the watch and just looking for a value for insurance reasons? If not, and you are looking to sell, that will hit the value some as it would likely the buyer would likely want to polish it off. Other than that, it has a jubilee bracelet, not standard of factory issued with that watch, but does compliment it well. Is the original roulette date wheel on there as well? Make sure that isn't replaced at service time either. If it were me, that watch wouldn't leave the family! Good luck!
jdog111578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 09:28 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome and sorry for your loss. thats a fantastic keepsake and there's no way I'd ever part with it at any price.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 09:59 PM   #4
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
welcome and sorry for your loss. Thats a fantastic keepsake and there's no way i'd ever part with it at any price.
x2
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 10:40 PM   #5
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Very nice. Keep it!
Old 11 April 2017, 10:47 PM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For sure keep it, it's a fine piece, I'd only have the crystal replaced.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 11:00 PM   #7
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

As deep as the engraving is on the side of the case, it would diminish the value greatly in the secondary market. It would have to be laser welded in order to fill it.
I really hope you are not considering selling it. That would be a tragedy
Old 11 April 2017, 11:28 PM   #8
SAAS
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch and sorry for your loss. What a time capsule looks like it's never been serviced. As others have said crystal and movement service only.
SAAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2017, 01:40 AM   #9
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
What a shame it would be if someone did have the name removed. That's a part of its history and a link to the Olympics of 1972. Removed and the watch just becomes another 7021/0

Some documentation of the watch being used by your father would be a possible value enhancement, maybe some "wrist shots" with the team, etc.

I'm sure you can get some good advice on who to use for the most sympathetic restoration changing nothing but the crystal, dirt, and dry oils.

After you get it cleaned up, put together some historic documentation and have time to think about it you may have a different perspective and want to keep and wear it but if not you will be set up for a better sale value down the road.

jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2017, 03:12 AM   #10
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
It's a gem.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2017, 05:40 AM   #11
Paul
"TRF" Member

Kia-ora bro ......

Paul from Wellington here. Welcome aboard and I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's passing.

The 7021/0 is a nice keepsake, there is not much more personal for a fella to inherit than his Dad's wristwatch. Hope you are keeping it. Probably the most desirable of the Tudor Snowflake family and examples certainly fetch something north of NZ $5,150 ( US $ 3,600). The value of your item will take a hit due to the personal engraving but I'd guess that's a value-add for youself from a sentimentality perspective. Looks like a healthy case too and the spotty dial is typical for Tudor of that era. Year of manufacture ? A guide that I find reasonably reliable puts it to 1970

http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html

I had to google to see what a 79230B is. Mmmmm ... my old man's Snowflake or a new Black Bay ? No contest. I'd be rocking the old Snowflake.

An interesting Olympics for your Dad to be involved in back in 1972 too. A very big shadow cast over them by events of the times but a massive triumph for our little country with the gold in the rowing 8s.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2017, 05:57 AM   #12
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Like the gents above, I vote keeping it and passing it along to remember your father. Condolences but he'll live on in other ways....like this watch.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2017, 01:48 PM   #13
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Sorry for your loss. Lost my mom at Christmas time and it is brutal.

New crystal and service the movement and wear it. It is a beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2017, 01:49 PM   #14
DL001
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Kia ora everybody, thanks for all the best wishes and advice. When I took it in to the Rolex dealership who were really great might I add. They sent it to Australia and they wouldn't touch it.
I'm really keen to get the crystal replaced but a bit stumped who to take it too. My intentions were to keep it but didn't want it to stop or crack the glass completely. so looked at getting the modern equivalent and passing that through the family.
But you are all so right, you can't put a price on sentimental value. Big thanks
Old 12 April 2017, 01:59 PM   #15
DL001
"TRF" Member

Paul your kinda local about 600clicks south off me. Would you know who could change my crystal?
I think the reason for the jubilee strap is he wore it so much that the salt water would have perished the original strap
Old 12 April 2017, 02:34 PM   #16
DL001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog111578 View Post
Wow. Very nice piece you have there and sorry to hear about your father. You are correct in dating the watch to 70'. As far as the value, it isn't allowed on the forums, but you should have a look around the for sale section as well as some of the reputable sites and you can gauge you value from there. The crystal can, and should be replaced and isn't necessarily too expensive to do. Be sure if you do have it serviced that they DO NOT change the dial, hands, of the insert. Id leave that crown on as well vs going with a replacement. I can only assume that that is your fathers name engraved on the side. I would assume you are keeping the watch and just looking for a value for insurance reasons? If not, and you are looking to sell, that will hit the value some as it would likely the buyer would likely want to polish it off. Other than that, it has a jubilee bracelet, not standard of factory issued with that watch, but does compliment it well. Is the original roulette date wheel on there as well? Make sure that isn't replaced at service time either. If it were me, that watch wouldn't leave the family! Good luck!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2017, 02:34 PM   #17
DL001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome and sorry for your loss. thats a fantastic keepsake and there's no way I'd ever part with it at any price.

Thank you

Old 12 April 2017, 02:35 PM   #18
DL001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
x2

Thanks I will keep it now

Old 12 April 2017, 02:52 PM   #19
DL001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Paul from Wellington here. Welcome aboard and I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's passing.

The 7021/0 is a nice keepsake, there is not much more personal for a fella to inherit than his Dad's wristwatch. Hope you are keeping it. Probably the most desirable of the Tudor Snowflake family and examples certainly fetch something north of NZ $5,150 ( US $ 3,600). The value of your item will take a hit due to the personal engraving but I'd guess that's a value-add for youself from a sentimentality perspective. Looks like a healthy case too and the spotty dial is typical for Tudor of that era. Year of manufacture ? A guide that I find reasonably reliable puts it to 1970

http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html

I had to google to see what a 79230B is. Mmmmm ... my old man's Snowflake or a new Black Bay ? No contest. I'd be rocking the old Snowflake.

An interesting Olympics for your Dad to be involved in back in 1972 too. A very big shadow cast over them by events of the times but a massive triumph for our little country with the gold in the rowing 8s.

Great advice, and yes that Olympics will probably be remembered for the wrong reasons. But as a young fella I'll always remember Mark Spitz 7 golds and a young Olga Korbut, and of course Nz winning gold in the men's rowing eight which was a big deal for little old us

Old 13 April 2017, 04:23 AM   #20
Paul
"TRF" Member

I'll send you a PM ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL001 View Post
Paul your kinda local about 600clicks south off me. Would you know who could change my crystal?

I think the reason for the jubilee strap is he wore it so much that the salt water would have perished the original strap

Your jubilee bracelet is a totally acceptable item for a 1970 'ish Tudor Sub. It may even have been an option for buyers at that time, perhaps with the Rolex coronet on the clasp - I think we started seeing the Tudor shield emblem on the clasps somewhat later than 1970. I'm a bit rusty on bracelets but am thinking the 6251 jubilee (open links) may have been the go for 1970. That may be a later 6251H or 62510 jubilee I'm seeing on your watch. Not a big deal anyway, jubilees are all fairly similar, work well, and are certainly very comfortable to wear.

One of the reasons I enjoy vintage Tudor is cos. some might say the rules are a bit less hard and fast than we see with vintage Rolex. There's certainly some absolute Tudor purists out there but for me anyway close enough is good enough ;-)

And crystals ..... I'm thinking a Rolex 125 crystal is strictly correct for your watch, the go-to item for a die-hard enthusiast wanting the perfect curve profile. They can be found but are pricey ....

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=527575

Next option ... and my personal pick ... would be a Rolex Tropic 19 service crystal. A lot cheaper and can be sourced easily enough.

And a generic crystal from a supplier like Otto Frei runs at about US $20 + shipping ( and they work AOK ).

Although many of the older independent watchmakers have now hung up their tools, NZ is perhaps better served than many countries - we still have half a dozen here in Wellington. Any competent independent watchmaker could fit your new crystal, pressure test the watch and perform a movement service (unrelated to the crystal task) if that is needed.

If you are in the big smoke, Partridges could handle the work for you. I've bought new watches from Partridges in years gone by but I just don't feel any love for vintage from them. They are certainly competent but can be a bit pricey and a lot of their service work gets shipped off to Oz nowadays.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 01:09 PM   #21
DL001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog111578 View Post

I'm looking at getting some polywatch to buff up the damage crystal as I want to admire the dial and hands abit better. Does anyone know if this polywatch works? I have seen a couple of YouTube vids and they seem to make a difference.

Will also be posting new pic tomorrow as I got a phone call from the NZ Rolex dealer Partridge's and when my watch came back from Aust with another Tudor the brackets had be swapped. My dads old photo confirms this. So it will have the Rolex Oyster bracelet instead of the jubilee bracelet. Colossal cock up if you ask me. But will give me a chance of getting serial no pics

Old 19 April 2017, 10:53 AM   #22
SAAS
"TRF" Member

Polywatch works on the surface scratches not cracks that crystal needs replacement imho

Last edited by SAAS; 19 April 2017 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 19 April 2017, 11:37 AM   #23
DL001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAS View Post
Polywatch works on the surface scratches not cracks that crystal needs replacement imho

Thanks, I gathered that. But it has certainly brought the crystal back up. And now I have the oyster bracelet back on, it looks much better than the Jubilee bracelet. My opinion anywayIMG_1427.jpgIMG_1425.jpg

Old 19 April 2017, 11:46 AM   #24
DL001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL001 View Post
Hi All

I was given my dads Tudor when he pastaway at Xmas, he brought this pre 1972 Olympics which he competed as a sailor for New Zealand so timing across the start line was quite important. No papers but a local Rolex Jeweller has authenticated. And given the info

Vintage Tudor submariner wristwatch with Rolex Crown and Case back. Stainless steel case and Rolex Jubilee bracelet. Blue dail with patina which is consistent with the age of the watch.

model: 7021/0

Serial no: 743042

I have been given a replacement value of nz $5,150.00 which is the price of a current 79230B

My question is it 1970 ? And what would be a realistic sellers value its time keeping is perfect. My father wore this watch regularly while sailing in yachting events. It has a small chip on the glass face.

IMG_1426.jpg

I have put my Rolex oyster bracelet back on which had been misplaced, personally I think it looks better than the jubilee bracelet

Old 20 April 2017, 05:07 AM   #25
SAAS
"TRF" Member

Nice work looks great cleaned up
Old 23 April 2017, 06:17 AM   #26
DL001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAS View Post
Nice work looks great cleaned up

Thanks, finally found a jeweller in Auckland I felt comfortable with. So he is servicing it as we speak, which will give me piece of mind as we can't be sure dad ever got it serviced.
And this guy holds the largest collection of watch crystals in nz. He looked at the watch and asked if I was selling it, which I said no. He said to me don't replace the chipped crystal as it's part of the history of the watch. Which I thought was cool as he could have taken another couple of hundred of me.