The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 April 2017, 02:02 AM   #1
Spugs
"TRF" Member

Submariner keeps stopping

I paid over $900 to Rolex to service and repair the self winder. It was made in 1987 and has been serviced several times. I wore it for 15 years and it never stopped. Now it stops every five days. I wind it 60 turns and it runs again for five days and stops. I have sent it back to Rolex twice and they tell me nothing is wrong. I wear it 24 hours a a day and shake it several times a day. Rolex said they wore it and it never stopped. I feel that a watch of this caliber and value should not have to be wound if I era it 24 hours a day. Any have any comments/suggestions.
Spugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 11:33 PM   #2
Njtster
"TRF" Member

I hope someone can weigh in on this. I am having a similar issue.
Njtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 10:33 AM   #3
Njtster
"TRF" Member

Bump - anyone?
Njtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 10:35 AM   #4
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
It needs to be serviced. Something is wrong with the reserve on it I think.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 10:44 AM   #5
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=66490
Old 30 April 2017, 12:52 PM   #6
flintsghost
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16600
The price seems way out of line for a normal Rolex service unless lots of stuff had to be replaced. They have a 2 year guarrantee on their service. I would send it back and possibly even talk with the management of the Service Dept. The power reserve on an older sub like that is somewhere around 38 hours as I recall. For it to stop at 5 days on the dot is past the power reserve but generally would mean some other kind of problem. Wearing 24 hours a day doesn't mean much if you sleep part of that time. It will not wind automatically when your arm is at rest....in other words nothing happens during that time. Another item of interest is that their technicians don't go around wearing your watch to test it, so something is wrong with that statement by them.
flintsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 09:01 AM   #7
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spugs View Post
I paid over $900 to Rolex to service and repair the self winder. It was made in 1987 and has been serviced several times. I wore it for 15 years and it never stopped. Now it stops every five days. I wind it 60 turns and it runs again for five days and stops. I have sent it back to Rolex twice and they tell me nothing is wrong. I wear it 24 hours a a day and shake it several times a day.
Don't shake your watch. It's not a salt shaker. If you want to wind it without the winding stim, rotate it with the crown up and move it around either clockwise or counterclockwise with the crown always vertical to he ground. This will allow your rotor "winder" to rotate and charge the main spring.

Quote:
Rolex said they wore it and it never stopped. I feel that a watch of this caliber and value should not have to be wound if I era it 24 hours a day. Any have any comments/suggestions.
There could be a number of problems.
1. Like others say, you are not active enough.
2. Rolex did not fix your auto winder.

Other less common issues..
When does it stop? Middle of the night, when you have your arm in a particular angle? Does it start back up without using stim to wind the watch?

Cd
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2017, 10:09 AM   #8
Mnicolini300
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 LV
Believe it or not I had the exact same problem and it took some critical thinking on my end to realize the case back was catching my rotor and ended up having to replace the case back. Problem solved.
Mnicolini300 is offline   Reply With Quote