The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2017, 02:15 AM   #31
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Iturned down a black DaytonaC.... and a few months later got the white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 02:38 AM   #32
Mikegp
"TRF" Member

As others have said, if its offered, YOU BUY IT. You can keep it, or sell it for a profit, why would you turn it down?
Mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 02:39 AM   #33
Sherpa23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I turned down one of each at MSRP from my AD. I went with a second hand white gold one instead. I can't justify buying the new SS one when last generation's white gold is close to the same price on the secondary market. My preference is that I like it more.

Now, when the new yellow gold one on oysterflex comes out, I'll probably buy that.
Sherpa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 02:48 AM   #34
Will1979
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Why do you think some of us get offered these watches without spending millions of dollars at the AD, when others don't? Because we don't do that sort of stuff.
I am in your camp: I'm on the list at my local AD and would never turn around and sell it if offered one. But alas, I've been told I'm 3 years out. And believe me, my AD didn't ask me any questions about what my intentions were with the watch -- he just pulled up my family's purchasing history and said he's still getting watches to people that have spent over $100k. So, perhaps you have some relationship with your AD that allows them to devine your motivations, but mine certainly didn't care about that.

In any event, my point was only that it seems most Daytona C's sold through ADs go to people who flip them for a quick buck. I don't hold that against them, but as many on this thread have attested to, it's something that can quickly put a bad taste in your mouth about a watch, an AD, or a brand.
Will1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 02:51 AM   #35
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

Turned it down by flipping it.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 03:00 AM   #36
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will1979 View Post
In any event, my point was only that it seems most Daytona C's sold through ADs go to people who flip them for a quick buck. I don't hold that against them, but as many on this thread have attested to, it's something that can quickly put a bad taste in your mouth about a watch, an AD, or a brand.
Funny that it the behavior of a buyer could sour you on a Watch/AD/Brand, yet it seems reasonable to let the buyer off the hook.

This hobby was a lot better when there were fewer of those people in it.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 04:14 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you get offered one but don't want it, you could buy and sell it here to a known member at mates rates with a little finders/handling fee for yourself, so you know it is going to a true enthusiast. Next on the AD list might be a total mercenary.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 04:31 AM   #38
JadeRaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: panda boi
Are there really that many regular guys flipping these? Seems like it's primarily those 3rd party dealers. IDK, seems a little cheesy. I'd rather let my dealer sell it to a customer who will enjoy it, then buy and flip like that, and have to tell my dealer I sold it on my next visit.
JadeRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 04:50 AM   #39
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will1979 View Post
I am in your camp: I'm on the list at my local AD and would never turn around and sell it if offered one. But alas, I've been told I'm 3 years out. And believe me, my AD didn't ask me any questions about what my intentions were with the watch -- he just pulled up my family's purchasing history and said he's still getting watches to people that have spent over $100k. So, perhaps you have some relationship with your AD that allows them to devine your motivations, but mine certainly didn't care about that.

I was offered and bought one completely out of the blue at an international AD yesterday. I asked jokingly, he pulled it out of the safe, and I grabbed it.

His manager got involved and asked me about my other watches, my profession, travel habits, cars, where I usually buy watches, whether I want this for personal wear or to sell, etc. I was being interviewed to be allowed to buy a watch. ;).

In the end, he called one of his other stores to check stock of Daytonas there for his regular customers. I waited 30 mins and then was "allowed" to buy it. They strongly preferred me to allow them to remove stickers and resize bracelet. I guess that reinforced I wasn't a flipper.

Sometimes you get lucky. I had just bought a Yachtmaster the previous day. He admitted I wouldn't have been shown the Daytona otherwise. All in all, it made for a great experience and I got what I'd been looking for since it was released.
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 05:03 AM   #40
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

I've never seen one in a local AD but I would certainly not turn one down if the opportunity presented itself. I don't believe in paying huge premiums or going on some insane waitlist, however I personally think that the white dial ceramic Daytona is the best looking Daytona of all time...and one of the best looking Rolexes ever.
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 05:11 AM   #41
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
I turned down a black dialed one from my AD that he sold later that day.
I'm still holding out for him to get a white dial.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 08:51 AM   #42
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I'm still waiting for the call on a black one. Honestly, when the call finally comes, if it doesn't sing to me, I won't buy it. The next person on the list can have it and enjoy it if it sings to them. If they buy it and flip it to make a quick $4500, so be it.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 09:40 AM   #43
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I bought mine sight unseen and was tormented with all the pictures here. It is living up to its hype!
Old 22 April 2017, 10:21 AM   #44
whizz
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Last Master
I do not have a chance to turned down daytonaC yet, but I have compared ceramic with ss bezel daytona in person and honestly I still prefer 116520 or even better 16520 white face
whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 02:03 PM   #45
"TRF" Member

i looked at the DaytonaC in person (black dial) and have to agree with some of the posts above in that the watch seems to look better in pics than in real life. Personally i think it has to do with the black bezel looking kinda incongruous with the rest of the watch (steel colored bracelet, case, lugs) when looking at the side. The black ceramic bezel is not surrounded by steel like the subc or gmt2c, and has no teeth that give it that shimmer. I think it looks good in pictures because pictures are usually taken directly looking down at the dial, and at this angle the black bezel integrates well with the dial.
116200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 10:08 PM   #46
ijpx
"TRF" Member

Bravo!
ijpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 10:22 PM   #47
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by 116200 View Post
i looked at the DaytonaC in person (black dial) and have to agree with some of the posts above in that the watch seems to look better in pics than in real life. Personally i think it has to do with the black bezel looking kinda incongruous with the rest of the watch (steel colored bracelet, case, lugs) when looking at the side. The black ceramic bezel is not surrounded by steel like the subc or gmt2c, and has no teeth that give it that shimmer. I think it looks good in pictures because pictures are usually taken directly looking down at the dial, and at this angle the black bezel integrates well with the dial.

Agreed regarding bezel but wouldn't turn down if got call. Would flip if disappointed.
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 03:45 AM   #48
cervantes
"TRF" Member

A dealer I have a good relationship with had a client who turned down his spot when his daytona arrived and contacted me. I purchased his white dialed Daytona-C. Have it for about 6 weeks. About to sell it. Just don't find it attractive, though well made and easy to wear. Was worth the try as I'll probably make out ok...
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 04:15 AM   #49
sarey
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712g-001
I find it strange that people are so keen (desperate) to get their hands on the new C model but i do feel the urge to say "why?"... I do however feel for the people that were on the list for the 116520 but now potentially put to the back of a new endless list.. wouldn't mind but its a new bezel and thats it.. for me anyway...
Patek Philippe 5712g-001
Breitling Emergency
sarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 04:16 AM   #50
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I tried on a fellow TRF member's white dialed Daytona, and I loved it. I'm still waiting for the call....
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 04:42 AM   #51
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

I passed on a white dial back in November as funds were tight due to a car accident/new car...Xmas and taxes...
Awesome AD got me the one after the holidays...
my AD takes good care of me and I leave the selling to them...
Old 23 April 2017, 05:44 AM   #52
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Turned down black dial one because I thought it looked too small honestly. Would have probably still done white dial just because of the novelty of it truth be told.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 11:32 AM   #53
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
I get calls at least once a week for Ceramic Daytona's at 10% off MSRP I finally had to change my phone number

Please give them my number... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 April 2017, 11:48 AM   #54
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegp View Post
As others have said, if its offered, YOU BUY IT. You can keep it, or sell it for a profit, why would you turn it down?

Because 9 times out of 10 people are turning down the black because they are waiting for the white. And vice versa. And if you accept what they offer then you will be taken off the list because you have received your daytona. I was offered a black. I turned it down because i would rather wait for the white instead of making a few bucks.

2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 12:02 PM   #55
edingotham
"TRF" Member

haven't had the opportunity to turn down
edingotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 12:52 PM   #56
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Turned down both two months after release.
It's easier in smaller markets FYI.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 02:40 PM   #57
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:

First of all, let me say that I just joined and have been lurking here for years, the information I learned here has been fantastic, felt it was time to join in the conversation and this one peaked my interest.

I've owned my 116500LN for a few weeks now and I can clear up some misconceptions about what it looks like in real life, some of which surprised me based on photos I'd seen in the forums.

Most importantly is the fact that this is not a deep matte black bezel but rather a highly polished and very reflective bezel that is black in some lighting conditions but for the most part looks like a very deep grey which coordinates very nicely to match the polished center links of the bracelet. If you look at the photos you'll see that the polished bezel, polished lugs, and polished center links all reflect the light similarly and look very coordinated.

So when you say there is no "shimmer" because unlike a Submariner the Daytona C bezel lacks a steel surround or teeth, understand that the whole watch is shimmering, it's very reflective from the crystal to the dial to the case to the bracelet, this watch needs no extra pop, trust me. A black matte bezel would look utterly out of place, it's what I thought I'd get based on some of the photos I'd seen taken in light boxes for online videos. In the real world, it never looks that way, it never looks incongruous like a deep black saucer sitting atop a sea of steel. Its gloss is what allows it to flow to the rest of the timepiece.

The epiphany that one gets after a few weeks of real-world usage in varying lighting conditions is that it's the reflective gloss that holds the design together, and the bezel has just the right amount of of gloss which coordinates very nicely with the PCL's and the case.

I hope that's a good explanation and may clear things up a bit. It's truly a great watch, just a fantastic Rolex.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 05:51 PM   #58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzerphilip View Post

First of all, let me say that I just joined and have been lurking here for years, the information I learned here has been fantastic, felt it was time to join in the conversation and this one peaked my interest.

I've owned my 116500LN for a few weeks now and I can clear up some misconceptions about what it looks like in real life, some of which surprised me based on photos I'd seen in the forums.

Most importantly is the fact that this is not a deep matte black bezel but rather a highly polished and very reflective bezel that is black in some lighting conditions but for the most part looks like a very deep grey which coordinates very nicely.
thanks for these fantastic and detailed insights. you have certainly inspired me to reconsider. guess I would have to spend more time with the watch under various lighting conditions. it looks great on you!
116200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 07:53 PM   #59
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
How Many of You Have Turned Down the DaytonaC

My name was called and rushed to the dealer to pick it up, at this point I had. It even seen one, I bought it and as I drove away the more I looked at it the more I knew it was not for me. I sold it almost as quick as I bought it. I truly knew I would wear my 16520 way more and would struggle between the two.

The Daytona C is amazing watch , but at the end of the day the Zenith movement Daytona is the one for me!

David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 09:07 PM   #60
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:
thanks for these fantastic and detailed insights. you have certainly inspired me to reconsider. guess I would have to spend more time with the watch under various lighting conditions. it looks great on you!
Thank you for the kind words. The Daytona C is hard to photograph, you really need to see one to fully understand the presence, look, impact of reflection, etc.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote