The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 April 2017, 12:21 AM   #31
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuigleysTavern View Post
were you under the impression that you could do the bezel refinish alone if you wanted to? Like it was a separate service?. When I call the RSC they tell me the watch is too young and the only way they will polish will be apart of a total service overhaul. In my opinion, you should be able to do whatever you want and Rolex should accommodate you. I'm willing to pay the 200 bucks it is for the refinish, or whatever it is, but I want it done. buying such an expensive watch i think gives you the right to that.

I'd like to have the refinishing done, and retire the watch to less flashy piece for work and everyday use. the gold on this thing POPS, which i love, but sometimes i think its a little flashy. not to mention its propensity to be scratched.

In my case it was time for a service. I had it done at an AD in Ottawa as I live on the West Coast and there was no one here that did the refinishing, they all sent it Rolex. The AD I sent it to used the same process and medium as Rolex and I had referral from others that had used them, so I felt good about sending it.

I would imagine if your watch wasn't in need of a service and provided you spoke to the right person then it should be a possibility? I think your best chance would be with an AD that has the right equipment to do it but I would (and I did) ask a lot of questions regarding the process: will it look like the factory watch finish, do you use the same process and medium as Rolex, do you have before and after photos of watches you have done that type of thing.

The scratches are a thing with this bezel, I love the look of the watch but I think I would prefer if they went to the Black ceramic bezel like on the 116655.
DRKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 12:56 AM   #32
QuigleysTavern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKBC View Post
In my case it was time for a service. I had it done at an AD in Ottawa as I live on the West Coast and there was no one here that did the refinishing, they all sent it Rolex. The AD I sent it to used the same process and medium as Rolex and I had referral from others that had used them, so I felt good about sending it.

I would imagine if your watch wasn't in need of a service and provided you spoke to the right person then it should be a possibility? I think your best chance would be with an AD that has the right equipment to do it but I would (and I did) ask a lot of questions regarding the process: will it look like the factory watch finish, do you use the same process and medium as Rolex, do you have before and after photos of watches you have done that type of thing.

The scratches are a thing with this bezel, I love the look of the watch but I think I would prefer if they went to the Black ceramic bezel like on the 116655.
My AD is limited and sales oriented. I have to go Rolex in new york or torneau in New York and see if they will do it. I think when you call RSC, you get an agent who is just giving the corporate response. Maybe by going there and having an actual conversation with someone I can get something accomplished. The mark on my watch isn't even a scratch, it's just a removal of the sandblast finish and now it looks shiny, but it looks like dirt and catches my eye everytime I look at it. Other people notice it too when they ask to see the watch or look at it. It's annoying. It's too nice to have this mark.
QuigleysTavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 01:05 AM   #33
pw98
"TRF" Member

The hardest part would be masking off all the polished numerals on the bezel. I have an inexpensive media blaster and it is very easy to revive a finish with the right 100-120 grit glass beads but like I said it would be very difficult to tape off. Good luck!
pw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 01:09 AM   #34
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB, 1501
This whole debate is what is turning me off from getting the 116621
uncufunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 01:26 AM   #35
QuigleysTavern
"TRF" Member

i don't regret getting the watch, because its so hot fire. i think its genuinely more attractive than the submariner. that said, i'm going to buy a submariner as my everyday.
Old 29 April 2017, 09:32 AM   #36
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw98 View Post
The hardest part would be masking off all the polished numerals on the bezel. I have an inexpensive media blaster and it is very easy to revive a finish with the right 100-120 grit glass beads but like I said it would be very difficult to tape off. Good luck!
Here is a link to an old thread that shows how to do it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=195837
DRKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 06:30 AM   #37
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB, 1501
Just spoke to customer service here: http://www.superpages.com/bp/ormond-...2063943886.htm

They will clean up the bezel for $90.
uncufunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 12:08 AM   #38
QuigleysTavern
"TRF" Member

Visited Rolex in NY. They won't do it unless the watch needs a full service. They did however say they would clean the bezel if another AD popped the bezel off and shipped it to them claiming they could not polish the bezel themselves.

Worth the risk of asking someone to take the bezel off? Would tornaeu take it off you think?
Old 25 May 2017, 04:25 AM   #39
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

Things worn differently. Thats just how that material is.
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:04 AM   #40
mick121212
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKBC View Post
Here is a link to an old thread that shows how to do it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=195837
So that's how it's done, brilliant BTW
mick121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 12:52 PM   #41
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
you are probably right. that said from what i am reading most people dont have those types of scratches on their platinum bezel YM no matter the age of the watch.
I don't know about that man. I have seen many Platinum YM's (here and on the classifieds) with scratches on the bezel. That is one of the reasons I've stayed away from the watch
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote