The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2011, 08:38 AM   #1
Airstreamin

Watch: 5513
Icon4 Cellini Stolen in transit via USPS.

Well the good news is we sold the Cellini on eBay. The bad news is that USPS delivered it to the wrong address in New York (not even the correct zip code go figure) and got someone to sign for the watch that was not the person it was addressed to. That was on June 9th. It resurfaced on June 13 after the weekend and was delivered to our buyer. USPS will not tell us how they recovered it or where. When it reached our buyer, the box had been cut open and what remained inside was the watch (surprise), and the outer Rolex cardboard box. What was missing was all the rest of the original documents, accessories, original purchase receipt, etc. The watch seems to be OK, but the band was damaged - see photos. We insured the shipment thank goodness, but the problem now is filing a claim for the missing items and the loss in value to the watch without all of the original complete documentation and accessories. We welcome suggestions on this value from Forum members and any suggestions how to proceed from here. Here's the Photobucket album with pictures of the complete package and what was left of it when it reached our buyer. Thanks for any help.

http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/...lex%20Cellini/
Airstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 08:43 AM   #2
rolexpawn
Banned

Watch: my Rolex(s)
Be thankful you got it back.
rolexpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 09:16 AM   #3
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

This is disturbing about USPS. I'm hearing/reading more and more issues with the way they handle most types of mail. So very sad for USPS to have this image as they used to be a great USG agency.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 09:40 AM   #4
InVision
Banned

Watch: Outerspace DayDate
It would be nice if you could the entire watch package to them and collect insurance.

M
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 09:43 AM   #5
EverydayCats

I would collect on the entire package. The watch was not what you sold and the buyer bought. If I were you, I would file a claim for the entire package, and if I were the buyer you would already have the watch back.
EverydayCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Airstreamin

This is why it is complicated - if the entire thing was gone it would be easy. File the claim and get the money. But only part of the package was gone. IDK what to do or how much to file a claim for. What is the drop in value without all the original paperwork and accessories? I guess that is the loss, plus the damage to the strap. We are waiting on more pictures from the buyer to inspect the watch more carefully. Perhaps he should take it to the local AD for an inspection ..
Old 15 June 2011, 10:57 AM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamin View Post
This is why it is complicated - if the entire thing was gone it would be easy. File the claim and get the money. But only part of the package was gone. IDK what to do or how much to file a claim for. What is the drop in value without all the original paperwork and accessories? I guess that is the loss, plus the damage to the strap. We are waiting on more pictures from the buyer to inspect the watch more carefully. Perhaps he should take it to the local AD for an inspection ..
Sorry to hear about the foul-up - these are always tricky situations when it's a partial delivery. The way USPS sees it, you don't have a loss in terms of monetary value until you and the buyer agree on the partial refund you will give AND you pay him.

If the buyer asks for nothing, then you lose nothing. For example, s/he may just unwind the deal with you and return the item for full refund. There is now diminished value like the cost of repair and a reduced resale value but very hard to prove with the claim adjuster.

On the other hand if the buyer wants a $500 partial refund (and you pay it) THEN you have a loss. Just make sure you document the loss - like maybe a Postal Money Order - and then file for the lost items and the valuation.

Our opinions may help you set a reasonable range but won't count for much with the adjuster to base a claim.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 11:05 AM   #8
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
Thats too bad, I hope all turns out well ; )
buke45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 11:07 AM   #9
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Probably not what you want to hear but if I was buyer I would send back watch and get my money back. I think that is your biggest risk as not sure why they wouldn't just do that. Not a great position to be in...Sorry. Hope it works out for you!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
I'm curious.........did you ship the package USPS Registered/Insured, or Express Insured

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 12:16 PM   #11
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
Ouch. Good luck on a favorable outcome your gonna need all the help you can get when dealing with the USPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 02:26 PM   #12
Airstreamin

@Jason71 - It was shipped Priority Insured with delivery confirmation required. But even though it was addressed to a guy with an Asian last name, they let a guy named Castro at a different address and postal code accept the package. Genius.
Old 15 June 2011, 02:48 PM   #13
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Quote:
@Jason71 - It was shipped Priority Insured with delivery confirmation required. But even though it was addressed to a guy with an Asian last name, they let a guy named Castro at a different address and postal code accept the package. Genius.
Doesnt that make you wonder sometimes...

I hope it all goes well my friend.. Awkwardly I personally would expect the watch to be gone but the rest still there. But this is the other way around.. I guess the person who accepted it was kind of forced to give it back and was too lazy to look for the documents and such. While usps not knowing what was inside besides the watch.. Then they didnt bother to check either. You guys should use fedex, they are much more reliable.

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Airstreamin

Thanks for all the advice. The buyer is going into USPS in New York tomorrow to discuss the problem. I'll post another update once we have more news. I really appreciate all the help.
Old 15 June 2011, 05:00 PM   #15
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Sorry to hear about you're situation .... Back in April, USPS delivered my Air King to my neighbor .. Sure my neighbor gave it to me right away, but it really bothers me to know that the USPS made such a mistake .... Good luck to you .. Keep us posted as to the outcome
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 08:11 PM   #16
dydst

I'm just surprised you got the watch back!
dydst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 09:08 PM   #17
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't know if it would have made a difference, but they always say that USPS REGISTERED is the safest mode of shipping/delivery. (Although it can be VERY slow)

I hope this works out for you.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 15 June 2011, 09:15 PM   #18
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Read the complaints page at usps.com to check for the days you have to report the damaged item.. it changes depending on which type of service you use.. you can file the claim online, and upload pictures and documents..
once you do that.. start calling usps claims central until you reach a real person..(call and start hitting 0.. about 10-20 times continuously ...that will get you to an operator)...ask the operator for claims department...
Once you get access to claims, ask them for the fax number and send everything to them again.
Once they have that they will resolve your claim very fast...

You will probably need to show the value of the damaged item with insurance.. or have a jeweler to give you a written statement on the value to replace the damaged piece.
Old 15 June 2011, 10:31 PM   #19
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
I don't know if it would have made a difference, but they always say that USPS REGISTERED is the safest mode of shipping/delivery. (Although it can be VERY slow)

I hope this works out for you.
In the US it seems like registered takes 7 to 10 days. Well worth it. Plus get it insured. They say registered goes seperate and under lock and key. But you have to tape all box seams with brown tape, a huge pain. In my exp the men desk clerks at usps will actually do that, the women clerks never do, they hand you the tape, water and back of line. IMO this story is insane! I don't understand how any of this happened. But glad you got the watch.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 10:49 PM   #20
novae500
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your experience with USPS. The two rolexes that i purchased, i made sure to have the seller send it to the USPS near me. And for me to come into the facility w/photo id and sign to get the watch. Yes i had to wait in line, but knew only i could sign for it w/id.

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 11:02 PM   #21
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Glad u got it back. The USPS have their own police force(postal/inspectors) unlike Fedex or UPS, that's probably the only reason u got the watch back at all. Follow the claims procedure and u will get some funds back for the damge and missing items. Good luck.
TRF member #917
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2011, 02:18 AM   #22
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Well, no point in having the special forces, they should have special forces for making sure they get the stuff delivered safely and correctly. What it if was a matter of critical medicine etc..

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2011, 02:50 AM   #23
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

What the hell is wrong with these people? How hard could it possibly be to only hand the package over to someone who can show ID matching the name on the form?
ArcticMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2011, 04:19 AM   #24
mgsimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
What the hell is wrong with these people? How hard could it possibly be to only hand the package over to someone who can show ID matching the name on the form?
I've used them both to send and receive several times (priority insured which requires signature). They don't check ID which IMHO is nuts given that we are talking about thousands of dollars. They only have you sign, and then print, your name. You would think they'd at least check to see if the printed name was the same as the addressee!
mgsimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2011, 04:22 AM   #25
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsimmer View Post
I've used them both to send and receive several times (priority insured which requires signature). They don't check ID which IMHO is nuts given that we are talking about thousands of dollars. They only have you sign, and then print, your name. You would think they'd at least check to see if the printed name was the same as the addressee!
I think you can request some extra service that requires the signature of a specific person you designate.....
Old 16 June 2011, 07:28 AM   #26
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBversive View Post
In the US it seems like registered takes 7 to 10 days. Well worth it. Plus get it insured. They say registered goes seperate and under lock and key. But you have to tape all box seams with brown tape, a huge pain. In my exp the men desk clerks at usps will actually do that, the women clerks never do, they hand you the tape, water and back of line. IMO this story is insane! I don't understand how any of this happened. But glad you got the watch.
I have 2.5 Rolls of the brown paper tape at home, and I just tape it up appropriately before I ever take it to USPS. I am OCD about having the tape perfect, so I cannot stand to have someone else do it.

I send watches USPS Registered/Insured 99% of the time.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 16 June 2011, 11:45 AM   #27
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
I have 2.5 Rolls of the brown paper tape at home, and I just tape it up appropriately before I ever take it to USPS. I am OCD about having the tape perfect, so I cannot stand to have someone else do it.

I send watches USPS Registered/Insured 99% of the time.
You plan ahead...impressive.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2011, 11:16 AM   #28
thepurze

Watch: rolex ex. sub gmt
Iknow that this is like shutting the gate after the horse is gone but its good practice to not advertise a box shape stick it in a big envolope with some paper jack
thepurze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2011, 11:19 AM   #29
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Sorry about that. Why would someone steal the paperwork and leave the watch???
kareemthedream33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2011, 12:52 PM   #30
Jagatai
"TRF" Member

I'm so sorry, I hope you get this issue resolved!
Jagatai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance claim , original documents stolen , stolen