The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 July 2011, 06:43 AM   #1
Solidarity
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 16700, DSSD
Jeweler trying to pull a fast one on me...

Well I am going to pick up the watch today after water got into the case. Supposedly the jeweler took it apart and oiled/cleaned everything and then pressure tested the watch. They determined the reason it leaked was because I didnt screw the crown down fully.

Now from reading on here I learned that there are three gaskets, two of which are independent from the crown. So technically it could be fully extended and still be watertight?

Does anybody have any literature that notes this so I can prove him wrong.
Solidarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 06:46 AM   #2
mjm800
"TRF" Member

What model watch was it? I'm not 100% sure but I think that not all models have the triple lock crown. I think only Subs, Sea Dwellers and SDDS have it.
Old 14 July 2011, 06:47 AM   #3
Solidarity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm800 View Post
What model watch was it not all models have the triple lock crown. I think only Subs, Sea Dwellers and SDDS have it.
GMTi
Old 14 July 2011, 06:50 AM   #4
The Joker
"TRF" Member

If that true what's the point in having a screw down crown then?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Solidarity
"TRF" Member

Extra protection I assume?

Don't flame me too much... I am still learning
Old 14 July 2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Solidarity
"TRF" Member

Tools posted this in my other thread:

" Leaving the crown unscrewed will do nothing and will not allow the water to escape... The stem is completely watertight whether the crown is screwed down or not as long as those gaskets are sound... Frequently the main problem gasket is the one that seals the crystal to the case."
Old 14 July 2011, 06:58 AM   #7
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
As long as the crown is flush with the case you have screwed it down enough. After adjusting the time I finger tighten my crown until it is flush with the case, this jeweler seems like a "ganif"(Yiddish for crook)
Old 14 July 2011, 07:01 AM   #8
Solidarity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster1982 View Post
As long as the crown is flush with the case you have screwed it down enough. After adjusting the time I finger tighten my crown until it is flush with the case, this jeweler seems like a "ganif"(Yiddish for crook)
SUCHA DEAL!

I feel like he is trying to cover his ass by not admitting they didnt replace a bad gasket or the crystal gasket was at fault. They aren't charging me so its not a big deal. I just can't wait to see what Rolex says when they check the watch out.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:02 AM   #9
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidarity View Post
Extra protection I assume?

Don't flame me too much... I am still learning
I'm not flaming, I don't know the answer either. I just presumed it had to be screwed down to be watertight?
Old 14 July 2011, 07:03 AM   #10
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
The jeweler knows exactly what was wrong and I'd imagine he was just using the "crown not screwed down" as a way to make you think it wasn't fault with the watch to begin with.
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
rad87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 07:05 AM   #11
Solidarity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad87gn View Post
The jeweler knows exactly what was wrong and I'd imagine he was just using the "crown not screwed down" as a way to make you think it wasn't fault with the watch to begin with.
Thats exactly what I was thinking when he said it to me. I would love to shove it right up his ass when I go to pick it up. Thats why I am looking to see if there are any documents which state this.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:05 AM   #12
rolexpawn
Banned

Watch: my Rolex(s)
The gasket on the stem prevents water from entering the case just in case you leave it unscrewed. You should have it pressured tested with the crown unscrewed to see if the stem gasket has failed.
rolexpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 07:08 AM   #13
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Find a new watch maker.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 07:08 AM   #14
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
SUCHA DEAL!

I feel like he is trying to cover his ass by not admitting they didnt replace a bad gasket or the crystal gasket was at fault. They aren't charging me so its not a big deal. I just can't wait to see what Rolex says when they check the watch out.
I know you live in NYC, I have a Rolex watchmaker in Sea Girt, NJ who works at an AD that can look at it for you. He does full Rolex overhuals right in the store. Its Ballew Jewelers on State HWY 35 in Sea Girt, NJ, they also have a store in Freehold Boro, NJ.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:13 AM   #15
The Joker
"TRF" Member

My DJ manual says

Watertightness
One of the main reasons for the success and renown of the Oyster is the exceptional quality of its water proofing. This is largely due to the ingenious, Rolex-developed winding crown the Twinlock. This device provides double protection against water and dust by screwing tightly into the case as securely as the hatch of a submarine. There is no way that dust, dirt or water can penetrate.

Also says

Position 0
Crown fully screwed-down. When the crown is in this position, the Datejust chromometer is waterproof to a depth of 100m (330ft) and is ready to wear.

My guess is if you left the submarine hatch open you could be in trouble.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:15 AM   #16
Solidarity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know you live in NYC, I have a Rolex watchmaker in Sea Girt, NJ who works at an AD that can look at it for you. He does full Rolex overhuals right in the store. Its Ballew Jewelers on State HWY 35 in Sea Girt, NJ, they also have a store in Freehold Boro, NJ.
I was going to drop it off at Rolex tomorrow before I go to work. And after the service it they will give me a warranty that is actually worth something unlike this current one...
Old 14 July 2011, 07:18 AM   #17
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was going to drop it off at Rolex tomorrow before I go to work. And after the service it they will give me a warranty that is actually worth something unlike this current one...
You would get a warranty with the watchmaker as well, they are a Authorized Rolex Dealer. I feel weird giving my watch over to RSC it feels very impersonal, I like to develop a relationship with my watchmaker.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:19 AM   #18
Solidarity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
My DJ manual says

Watertightness
One of the main reasons for the success and renown of the Oyster is the exceptional quality of its water proofing. This is largely due to the ingenious, Rolex-developed winding crown the Twinlock. This device provides double protection against water and dust by screwing tightly into the case as securely as the hatch of a submarine. There is no way that dust, dirt or water can penetrate.

Also says

Position 0
Crown fully screwed-down. When the crown is in this position, the Datejust chromometer is waterproof to a depth of 100m (330ft) and is ready to wear.

My guess is if you left the submarine hatch open you could be in trouble.
Sweet.

I actually had a hard time unscrewing the crown to stop the movement because I screwed it down so hard (maybe I overtightened it??)
Old 14 July 2011, 07:20 AM   #19
rolexpawn
Banned

Quote:
My DJ manual says

Watertightness

Also says

Position 0

I guess is if you left the submarine hatch open you could be in trouble.
The DateJust is not a Triplock Crown, the GMT II is a Triplock Crown.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:21 AM   #20
RJK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out for that tree!
The crown unscrewed will still keep water out to a point...like in a pool, showering or very shallow diving.

I'm pretty sure any pressure beyond that will allow water into the case. Those gaskets all work in conjunction with each other, and the crown being screwed down is part of the whole system. Any part will work to a point, but not nearly as effectively as all of them together.

To the OP's post, others have already said it, but the jeweler sounds like an a$$. I saw exactly what you're looking for a while back but cannot find it for the life of me. I'll keep looking, but hopefully someone will beat me to it.

Good luck

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko Golden Tuna SBBN 040, PAM 579, JLC Master Compressor Diving Chrono GMT NS in Yellow, DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa T-Graph, Doxa 750 Caribbean, PAM 190 "8-Days", PAM 162,TT DJ (Left to me by Dad)
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 07:21 AM   #21
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpawn View Post
The GMT II is only a twinlock, I confirmed it with the watchmaker at my local AD.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:22 AM   #22
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpawn View Post
I don't know the difference?
Old 14 July 2011, 07:24 AM   #23
Solidarity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
The crown unscrewed will still keep water out to a point...like in a pool, showering or very shallow diving.

I'm pretty sure any pressure beyond that will allow water into the case. Those gaskets all work in conjunction with each other, and the crown being screwed down is part of the whole system. Any part will work to a point, but not nearly as effectively as all of them together.

To the OP's post, others have already said it, but the jeweler sounds like an a$$. I saw exactly what you're looking for a while back but cannot find it for the life of me. I'll keep looking, but hopefully someone will beat me to it.

Good luck
I was only 15' down for about 2 hours. I consider diving to be 40' to 100' down.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:24 AM   #24
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't know the difference?
The twinlock has a gasket inside the stem and in the crown, the Triplock has an additional gasket around the outside of the stem.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:26 AM   #25
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The twinlock has a gasket inside the stem and in the crown, the Triplock has an additional gasket around the outside of the stem.
Thanks, so obviously I'm guessing triplock is better and gives a better rating. i.e 300m?
Old 14 July 2011, 07:30 AM   #26
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, so obviously I'm guessing triplock is better and gives a better rating. i.e 300m?
Yep, and when you add a helium escape valve on the side of the case and you get a 3900 ft rating, and if you add a titanuim screw on back, and the ring lock system with a 44mm case you get the DSSD at 12,800 ft.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:32 AM   #27
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep, and when you add a helium escape valve on the side of the case and you get a 3900 ft rating, and if you add a titanuim screw on back, and the ring lock system with a 44mm case you get the DSSD at 12,800 ft.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:33 AM   #28
rolexpawn
Banned

Quote:
The Triplock has a better rating for watches like the Submariner. I read somewhere the GMTII was a Triplock, so that may be the new GMTII and not the older ones sorry about that.
Old 14 July 2011, 07:40 AM   #29
keir
"TRF" Member

Watch: armarni
please could someone tell me,what rolex would you buy for your first one.im really intrested in the submariner,any feedback would be well welcome thanks
keir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 07:41 AM   #30
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
I'm pretty sure all GMT's had a twinlock, except the new GMT2C which has a triplock. What makes the Sub C 3x as water resistant is the thicker case back.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote