The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 October 2015, 01:37 PM   #31
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Wow. Totally shocked you sold your Tudor after 6 months. And I follow these forums just about daily.
You still seem like a man totally undecided on what timepiece to have on your wrist!!
FWIW, did you have as hard a time finding the right woman to marry?? No offense meant! LOL
I am rather conservative and after a while the blue bezel, though certainly not outlandish, bothered me. As I've said before, if it was black it would have been a keeper. I know I'm in the minority here but I also don't care for the Hulk, Coke, Pepsi and any of the Daytona's. I respect the desire of others to own those models but they're just not for me. I'm not into a lot of color and complications other than a date function. A black, white, or silver dial would do it.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2015, 09:26 AM   #32
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

So I went to my AD today and spent a solid hour trying on the four models that interest me, the DJ, DJII, OP, and the Explorer.
I ruled out the OP right away as I don't care for any of the dial colors although the gray was the best of the three.
Next was the DJ. I purposely did not wear a watch all day because I didn't want to be influenced by the disparity in size between the DJ and a larger watch. That little ploy didn't seem to work because it still looked on the small side. In fact, the sales lady was also wearing a 36mm watch and it looked small on her.
Up next was the silver stick smooth bezel DJII. The size is fine and the dial color is beautiful but my eye was drawn to the bezel. If I go with this one I think that the bezel size would eventually bother me less and less as it was less of a factor than I remembered from previous visits.
Finally I tried on the Explorer. Perfect size overall and a fully brushed bracelet. I was disappointed to notice that the 3,6,9 on the dial appeared washed out even with just the store lighting. I imagine that it would be more pronounced in sunlight.
In summary I would eliminate the OP and DJ from consideration and of the remaining two, give the edge to the silver dial DJII. Not definite, but leaning that way.
Stay tuned.
Old 1 November 2015, 03:40 AM   #33
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

I forgot to include these pics from yesterday.

Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Old 1 November 2015, 03:49 AM   #34
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
They both look great on you and you can't go wrong with either one. Personally I'd choose the Explorer since I like the DJ with fluted bezel.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 04:03 AM   #35
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Getting Closer To My Goal...But Still Undecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
They both look great on you and you can't go wrong with either one. Personally I'd choose the Explorer since I like the DJ with fluted bezel.

Thanks Ed. The more I look, the more I confuse myself.

Case in point...yesterday I ruled out the DJ. Today I'm looking at it again.

They didn't have the smooth bezel DJ so I tried on this one.

Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Old 1 November 2015, 04:13 AM   #36
asleep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
I really like this look, silver on silver with smooth bezel. Understated elegance.

Edit: Digging the white dial, too.
asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 04:32 AM   #37
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Quote:
Thanks Ed. The more I look, the more I confuse myself.

Case in point...yesterday I ruled out the DJ. Today I'm looking at it again.

They didn't have the smooth bezel DJ so I tried on this one.
Haha I know how you feel.. been there myself and the one above but with silver dial would seal the deal for me.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 04:38 AM   #38
DKRanger22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I forgot to include these pics from yesterday.

Really don't think you can go wrong, my friend. Both beautiful pieces with slightly different roles (one a bit dressier, the other a bit more casual). Having said that, each piece can be worn in either scenario without sacrifice. For that reason, there is no wrong choice to make.

I went DJII because I'm in business attire 5 days/week. It still works well with jeans on the weekend, but I feel it's most at home in dress mode, which is where I spend most of my waking hours (regrettably). Being retired, I might tend to lean the other way (Exp) only because you're going to be casually dressed more than not. You might just consider making this choice very scientific... Flip a coin
DKRanger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 04:58 AM   #39
evdwal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos Blue
I think the Explorer suits you really well, especially when retired it is a bit more adventurous and less business which speaks to me.
The fact it is a bit more affordable doesn't hurt either!

Also I like the statement better of it being 'under the radar' connoisseurs will notice but it doesn't rub as much in the face on a neighbourhood barbecue.

Last edited by evdwal; 1 November 2015 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: typo
evdwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 05:12 AM   #40
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRanger22 View Post
Really don't think you can go wrong, my friend. Both beautiful pieces with slightly different roles (one a bit dressier, the other a bit more casual). Having said that, each piece can be worn in either scenario without sacrifice. For that reason, there is no wrong choice to make.

I went DJII because I'm in business attire 5 days/week. It still works well with jeans on the weekend, but I feel it's most at home in dress mode, which is where I spend most of my waking hours (regrettably). Being retired, I might tend to lean the other way (Exp) only because you're going to be casually dressed more than not. You might just consider making this choice very scientific... Flip a coin
Thanks for your input Andrew. I'm afraid that if I flipped a coin it would defy all laws of physics and land on its edge.
Seriously though, as beautiful as the DJ and DJII are, there is something that draws me to the Explorer too.
Old 1 November 2015, 05:17 AM   #41
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdwal View Post
I think the Explorer suits you really well, especially when retired it is a bit more adventurous and less business which speaks to me.

Also I like the statement better of it being 'under the radar' connoisseurs will notice but you it doesn't rub as much in the face on a neighbourhood barbecue.
Well said on all accounts. It's definitely an "under the radar" watch...equally at home by the pool or in a tux at a wedding.
Old 1 November 2015, 05:20 AM   #42
evdwal
"TRF" Member

Of course it is hard to see in the lightning and on a foto, but I think your skin-tone fits the black&white gold of the Explorer dial better vs. the silver dial. And the brushed steel looks awesome as well.
Old 1 November 2015, 05:46 AM   #43
Pedros
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400
Have you considered a 16622?
Pedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 05:49 AM   #44
DKRanger22
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Also I like the statement better of it being 'under the radar' connoisseurs will notice but it doesn't rub as much in the face on a neighbourhood barbecue.
In fairness to the DJII, it also flies under the radar quite well, despite the PCL's. In wearing this daily for the better part of 2015, I've only had one instance of someone pointing out my watch, and I don't believe they even knew what it was (they just happened to like the style and beautiful blue dial). The trained eye will catch it, but nowhere near as recognizable to the layman as say a Submariner.
DKRanger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 05:52 AM   #45
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedros View Post
Have you considered a 16622?
I gave it a brief look but don't feel it's as versatile as the one's I'm considering.
Old 1 November 2015, 05:54 AM   #46
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course it is hard to see in the lightning and on a foto, but I think your skin-tone fits the black&white gold of the Explorer dial better vs. the silver dial. And the brushed steel looks awesome as well.
I do like the fully brushed bracelet better than the PCL's.
Old 1 November 2015, 06:14 AM   #47
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
For why you described get the DJ II. The size is amazing and it has nice appeal in terms of looks. I would consider the fluted bezel. Yes it cost about 1k more but totally worth it.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 06:21 AM   #48
Bfd70
"TRF" Member

I don't think the DJ looks too small on you. Remember, men have had 7" wrists much longer than 42mm watches have been envogue. Something you said did resonate with me. Outdoors in sunlight I found the Exp difficult to read at a glance. The 3 6 9 does reflect too much light. That and the lack of a date made it a 6 month flipper for me.
Bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 09:30 AM   #49
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfd70 View Post
I don't think the DJ looks too small on you. Remember, men have had 7" wrists much longer than 42mm watches have been envogue. Something you said did resonate with me. Outdoors in sunlight I found the Exp difficult to read at a glance. The 3 6 9 does reflect too much light. That and the lack of a date made it a 6 month flipper for me.
The more difficult to read dial of the Explorer did concern me. Even indoors the 3,6,9 sort of disappeared which you can get a hint of from the photo.
Old 3 November 2015, 09:52 AM   #50
evdwal
"TRF" Member

@SemperFi, Any updates, any closer to a decision?
Old 3 November 2015, 10:07 AM   #51
maxbaris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Not to confuse you any further but I was about to pull the trigger on a black smooth bezel DJII few months back but the small Rolex wording bothered me after getting used to The Explorer (see the pix you posted for a comparison). I like the prominent "Rolex" on The Explorer. Just sayin'. And also Explorer's history is pretty solid. I would go with the 214270. Good luck. The hunt is the best part of this addiction.
maxbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2015, 10:14 AM   #52
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
@SemperFi, Any updates, any closer to a decision?
I'm still mulling it over, considering the pros and cons of each watch. The DJII and Explorer are running neck and neck right now.
Old 3 November 2015, 10:22 AM   #53
versatile1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue Romans
Quote:
I do like the fully brushed bracelet better than the PCL's.
Keep in mind that it is a very simple and low cost option to have the PCL's brushed on the DJ2
It might be the watch you can't find at an AD

Life is a cruel teacher
It will give you the test first and the lesson later
versatile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2015, 10:28 AM   #54
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbaris View Post
Not to confuse you any further but I was about to pull the trigger on a black smooth bezel DJII few months back but the small Rolex wording bothered me after getting used to The Explorer (see the pix you posted for a comparison). I like the prominent "Rolex" on The Explorer. Just sayin'. And also Explorer's history is pretty solid. I would go with the 214270. Good luck. The hunt is the best part of this addiction.
I never noticed the difference in font size until you mentioned it but it doesn't bother me any. The Explorer certainly has a history that attracts me to the watch unlike any of the other models.
Old 3 November 2015, 10:32 AM   #55
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by versatile1 View Post
Keep in mind that it is a very simple and low cost option to have the PCL's brushed on the DJ2
It might be the watch you can't find at an AD
If the bracelet were brushed what would RSC do when it goes in for service? Change it back to original specs? I'm only asking because I've read about many of the strange policies and the quirkiness of the RSC.
Old 3 November 2015, 10:42 AM   #56
versatile1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue Romans
Quote:
If the bracelet were brushed what would RSC do when it goes in for service? Change it back to original specs? I'm only asking because I've read about many of the strange policies and the quirkiness of the RSC.
They may polish the links and charge you the 80 bucks or so but if you buy a recently serviced watch you should be 10 years older by the time it would matter anyways

Life is a cruel teacher
It will give you the test first and the lesson later
versatile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2015, 04:45 PM   #57
IT Nerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me flip
A no date Sub might be a contender for you. At the end of the day it's extremely difficult to narrow down the field to any one particular piece. Keep trying on as many as you possibly can!
IT Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2015, 06:57 PM   #58
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
I've been trying them on for about a year and still up in the air. 😄
Perhaps another brand might have a model you would like?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2015, 07:22 PM   #59
Norms
"TRF" Member

hmm thats an interesting choice. i have 7" wrists too. i have both a DJ and DJii. the DJii fits beautifully on the wrist and very comfortable. i also have a milgauss and it fits awesome on the wrist as well. I've tried on the explorer a few times, the size is really nice at 39mm. but i decided on the milgauss cause i wasn't big fan of the matte black dial.
Old 3 November 2015, 08:57 PM   #60
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Why not get a Black Bay Black? From your previous comments, that would be a keeper.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote