The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 November 2015, 05:19 AM   #31
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoracle View Post
...I meant farewell....golf on the brain
Thought I was going to see the hulk with a matching fairway in the back
Quote:
Soon but I'm really torn on what it will be. I have been eye-ing a RO 15400 but have heard negative stories about repairs and durability. It's making me think I should get a SS instead, but I love the RO.
Must try on the AP, I almost bought a 15300 on a whim, then realized I should try on the 15400 first. Still on my to do list. The 15300 was so comfortable. Best of luck!
Old 4 November 2015, 05:21 AM   #32
antomero
"TRF" Member

Awesome watch!
antomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2015, 05:52 AM   #33
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnd08 View Post
I'm guessing what you heard were either anomalies, or from those who don't actually own the watch.

AP Service Center is fantastic.

The 15400 is very durable. Genta designed it to be a watch for every occasion from boating, to swimming, to wearing with a suit. It was actually a requirement from AP to him when he was designing it.

As far as scratches, my RO shows far LESS scratches than Rolex watches with PCLs (I've owned two - DJII & Daytona). It sits lower on your wrist compared to those two, so I think it naturally avoids scratches better; my chunky Rolex clasps would always get scratch marks.

If a RO gets a scratch, it does hurt a little more than when a Rolex does; I think it's because of the cost of the watch, and the fine detail/sheer beauty of the watch. But avoiding a watch because it is too beautiful to wear is like not dating a hot girl because you are scared she might break up with you and hurt your feelings.
JJ is spot on, if you like the RO don't be put off, just wear it with respect and you'll be fine.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2015, 07:09 AM   #34
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2015, 07:57 AM   #35
bzabodyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek / AP / Rolex
I would say I'm sad to see it go but I would be lying

It's going to a good home and hopefully it will become a keeper like my BLNR, 16800, and Snowflake - only keepers out of my approx 15 watch collection - all because they have a sentimental attachment like you described before and aren't "just" watches...

BZ
bzabodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2015, 09:26 AM   #36
asleep
"TRF" Member

Fairway my dear Hulk...
Your greens, dead solid perfect.
Shanks for the great shots.

--farewell haiku
asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2015, 11:11 AM   #37
thehoracle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I went through a similar experience about a month ago. I sold a Submariner that had little personal meaning to fund a BLNR to celebrate an engagement. All of my watches now have a special meaning: 16610 was for medical school graduation, my 216570 was for my 30th, and my BLNR was for my engagement and medical license in NJ.

The LV Submariner is an awesome piece and along with a Datejust II will round out my Rolex collection someday, but I understand the need.
Great story man
thehoracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2015, 11:14 AM   #38
thehoracle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzabodyn View Post
I would say I'm sad to see it go but I would be lying

It's going to a good home and hopefully it will become a keeper like my BLNR, 16800, and Snowflake - only keepers out of my approx 15 watch collection - all because they have a sentimental attachment like you described before and aren't "just" watches...

BZ
I'm just glad it went to a friend
thehoracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2015, 09:08 AM   #39
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
It's a sad day. I ended up selling the Hulk yesterday to refill the watch fund for a new purchase. In the process, I learned something about myself for the long term. Personally I place importance on buying new (if possible), and buying during special occasions. When I bought the BLNR, it was right after a big job promotion, and on vacation with my wife for our anniversary. Because of this I was just unable to let it go...it's a life-er.

I know some will disagree and that I'll end up paying more than I could if buying used, but I think this was an important realization that will keep me from flipping so often in the future
Totally agree with your thinking about buying new and for special occasions. However, sometimes the need to buy just happens and then we all know how that ends (most of the time).
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote