The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 March 2016, 07:13 PM   #1
mikeylacroix
"TRF" Member

Fifty Fathoms vs Submariner

Someone asked for some comparo pics. So here we go. Black dials are a pain btw.

Oddly..kinda hard to compare. The FF is a blingy piece..big..bold...its got everything.
The sword hands..the all night lume...layered dial with a hard to capture sunburst dial..that crazy domed crystal and sapphire bezel.
Can't wait to try out different strap combos on it.

The FFB we know and grew to love...is very modern and shall I say...contemporary...the FFB's ceramic bezel being flat...looks fantastic under different lighting..
After doing this..I'm more inclined to think the Bathyscaphe is a better comparison to the Sub..and perhaps the 116600 to the FF.

mikeylacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 08:18 PM   #2
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
The "whitebread" watches are nice indeed!
Old 28 March 2016, 10:06 PM   #3
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Love the pics!
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 10:10 PM   #4
JD521
"TRF" Member

great pics.
JD521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 10:23 PM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Great photos.
Old 28 March 2016, 10:57 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Nice set and pics
Old 28 March 2016, 11:15 PM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
All of them are very nice but for me the best diver watch is the AP diver, imo it's the best in size, weight and proportions plus the comfort is great,nbut the price can be a little salty for some
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 12:14 AM   #8
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Still prefer the Sub.
Old 29 March 2016, 12:44 PM   #9
jcs2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
The sub is better looking by a mile.
jcs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 01:36 PM   #10
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
All of them are very nice but for me the best diver watch is the AP diver, imo it's the best in size, weight and proportions plus the comfort is great,nbut the price can be a little salty for some
How tacky...
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 01:50 PM   #11
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Great pictures! Love the FF!
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 09:49 PM   #12
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

great trio! love the bathyscape.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 10:53 PM   #13
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Nice diver collection
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2016, 02:32 AM   #14
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Man, dive watches are the best. Great pics!
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2016, 10:08 AM   #15
Lange1
"TRF" Member

God! I don't want to say it but please don't put Sub next to FF. There are no comparison here.
The look and feel of the FF is way beyond compare.
Lange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2016, 10:31 AM   #16
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

I love the FF, I had the Blue FF Complete calendar, great watch. I would definitely buy another one.
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2016, 08:00 PM   #17
Watch Box
"TRF" Member

Sub any day

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Watch Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2016, 05:21 AM   #18
stockae92
"TRF" Member

awesome trio!
stockae92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 02:26 AM   #19
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
LOVE the FF, both versions :)

Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 02:57 AM   #20
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Great photos, love the FF
Old 1 April 2016, 06:00 AM   #21
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
How tacky...
I don't agree, like I said all are great watches, had 2 subs, almost bought a FF but chrono in blue, and basically if I sold the 2 subs and didn't get the FF is because I felt they lacked comfort, if to compare just between them the FF is much better made than the sub or the Bathyscaphe, the bezel, case and basically the whole watch is incredible. So I didn't saynthey were bad watches, they are fine watches, but in all the divebwatches I have seen or owned, oh had a few Pams as well, the top one for me is the AP diver but in ceramic or in FC, ifnto take the SS diver Inthink on looks alone I would prefer the FF...
Old 1 April 2016, 06:10 AM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
I love the FF, I had the Blue FF Complete calendar, great watch. I would definitely buy another one.
The blue FF models are amazing, almost got the blue chrono but somehow I felt it sat strangely on my wrist, it sat too high, as did the SD4000, I have a 6.9 wrist but very flat, so when a watch is very thick and you see from the side it looks odd, the AP is thick but somehow sits better on the wrist, my best friend calls it a brick, he likes only dress or sporty dress watches, so all is a question of tastes like always. What would be interesting to know is what brand invented the first dive watch since Rolex and BP released theirs the same year, did one copy the other by stealing plans or did they really work on their own and managed to make it the same year, in any case both brands state they were the first.

To the OP are these 3 your watches or did you borrow some? Very cool trio, do you have other dive watches? pams or other brands?
Old 1 April 2016, 06:41 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great pictures

Thank you for the comparison shots.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 10:53 AM   #24
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
I don't agree, like I said all are great watches, had 2 subs, almost bought a FF but chrono in blue, and basically if I sold the 2 subs and didn't get the FF is because I felt they lacked comfort, if to compare just between them the FF is much better made than the sub or the Bathyscaphe, the bezel, case and basically the whole watch is incredible. So I didn't saynthey were bad watches, they are fine watches, but in all the divebwatches I have seen or owned, oh had a few Pams as well, the top one for me is the AP diver but in ceramic or in FC, ifnto take the SS diver Inthink on looks alone I would prefer the FF...
Great. But issue I have is this habit of yours of hijacking threads of other watches to tell people how great your Diver (or prior to that, your Patek) is in comparison. It's distasteful and showboating in my view. There was nothing related to AP in this thread prior to that, and I don't see any reason to come in and naysay the BP.

And before you got your AP, you always came into Rolex and AP forums to chime in about how great the Patek was in comparison. Again: in my view this is tacky.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 11:13 AM   #25
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Quote:
Great. But issue I have is this habit of yours of hijacking threads of other watches to tell people how great your Diver (or prior to that, your Patek) is in comparison. It's distasteful and showboating in my view. There was nothing related to AP in this thread prior to that, and I don't see any reason to come in and naysay the BP.

And before you got your AP, you always came into Rolex and AP forums to chime in about how great the Patek was in comparison. Again: in my view this is tacky.
I'm with you. I don't see anywhere in the OP where comparisons to AP is suggested or asked for. It is odd to bring up other brands and say they are better than the one the OP presented for discussion.

As for the OP - I wish I could afford both because I'd love to add a FF.
Old 1 April 2016, 11:19 AM   #26
Lange1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
great. But issue i have is this habit of yours of hijacking threads of other watches to tell people how great your diver (or prior to that, your patek) is in comparison. It's distasteful and showboating in my view. There was nothing related to ap in this thread prior to that, and i don't see any reason to come in and naysay the bp.

And before you got your ap, you always came into rolex and ap forums to chime in about how great the patek was in comparison. Again: In my view this is tacky.
x2
Lange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 11:25 PM   #27
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
great. But issue i have is this habit of yours of hijacking threads of other watches to tell people how great your diver (or prior to that, your patek) is in comparison. It's distasteful and showboating in my view. There was nothing related to ap in this thread prior to that, and i don't see any reason to come in and naysay the bp.

And before you got your ap, you always came into rolex and ap forums to chime in about how great the patek was in comparison. Again: In my view this is tacky.
x3
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2016, 11:26 AM   #28
mikeylacroix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The blue FF models are amazing, almost got the blue chrono but somehow I felt it sat strangely on my wrist, it sat too high, as did the SD4000, I have a 6.9 wrist but very flat, so when a watch is very thick and you see from the side it looks odd, the AP is thick but somehow sits better on the wrist, my best friend calls it a brick, he likes only dress or sporty dress watches, so all is a question of tastes like always. What would be interesting to know is what brand invented the first dive watch since Rolex and BP released theirs the same year, did one copy the other by stealing plans or did they really work on their own and managed to make it the same year, in any case both brands state they were the first.

To the OP are these 3 your watches or did you borrow some? Very cool trio, do you have other dive watches? pams or other brands?
Sorry been away. Yep. All mine. 1st sub. Slowly fell in love with the bathyscaphe..and finally went all in with the FF love.
Old 3 April 2016, 11:29 AM   #29
mikeylacroix
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Did this thread a while back.
https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=h...1&share_type=t

someone asked me to do a case side comparison

Will do a sotc sometime lol. No pams for me i dont like their design aesthetics...except maybe the radiomir gmt :D
Old 6 April 2016, 12:55 PM   #30
Justice12
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love blancpain divers, I bought a new Subc but I'm concidering the bathyscaph chrono as my next watch. I prefer it over the FF personally, great comparison, and awesome watches, thanks
Justice12 is offline   Reply With Quote