The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 July 2016, 08:06 PM   #61
acf321
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 /16610
Absolutely none.... Just bought a one owner + b/p '70
1675. Best decision i've made. If the Godfather wore one, nuff said!!
acf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2016, 12:55 AM   #62
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
1675's are stunning!
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2016, 01:10 AM   #63
fizz
"TRF" Member

My recent acquisition from 2 weeks ago. 45 years old...What's not to love?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1675_2.jpg (122.7 KB, 323 views)
fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2016, 01:52 AM   #64
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
Great 1675's everyone.
The 1675 is my favorite reference. It can be accessorized in so many different ways - jubilee, oyster, NATO, leather bands....
Endless of insert variations to choose from (black, brown, two-tone, blue, and hundreds of different Pepsi shades and hues

IMO, the perfect watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7612 copy.jpg (58.7 KB, 325 views)

Last edited by Lamone; 4 July 2016 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: Typo
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2016, 06:37 AM   #65
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Forgot to post pics:
1970 MKI
On Oyster

On a jub
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2016, 07:25 AM   #66
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
I quite like the GMT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0959.jpg (106.3 KB, 315 views)

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2016, 11:22 AM   #67
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Beautiful watches!
Old 6 July 2016, 03:40 AM   #68
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The GMT 1675, what's not to love - it's a great reference. Here is one of mine, circa 1970. Besides being a great watch, complete sets make it even nicer.
Very nice! I have seen photos of a few bezel fades where the red becomes a kind of dark red with some brown to it... not quite rust... is that just the photo(s) or do you have one here?

I love this color and it seems to be a rare age result from my limited knowledge. While not as brilliant as the fuchsia inserts it seems just as rare and imo just as desirable and unique.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2016, 03:47 AM   #69
Karbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dayto/5164
Mine

Mk1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (136.8 KB, 279 views)
Old 6 July 2016, 08:06 AM   #70
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
A "Dynamic Duo" with some Rolex swag from my vault in Texas. (The two-tone is from 1972 and the other circa 1977.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0680sm.jpg (75.5 KB, 273 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2016, 11:38 PM   #71
jo.jo
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to chose
Love my watch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.5 KB, 238 views)
jo.jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 12:52 AM   #72
go636
"TRF" Member

go636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 12:52 AM   #73
go636
"TRF" Member

This is my watch I love it
go636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 02:07 AM   #74
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
I can't love it because it looks like a colorful Submariner and I'd rather just have the serious Submariner. Is the motivation of owning one to look different than the Sub owner because there are so many more Subs out here?
Wow, really? Is that a serious question?
Old 7 July 2016, 02:28 AM   #75
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Keep them coming guys!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 03:22 AM   #76
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
When I picked this one up one a while back, it quickly became one of my favorites. MK II, 3.03m serial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2692.JPG (227.6 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0701.JPG (210.3 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3708.JPG (215.9 KB, 232 views)
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 06:50 AM   #77
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Wow, really? Is that a serious question?
It was at the time but then it was explained to me that the GMT has differences to the Submariner beyond the colorful bezel (thickness and weight primarily) and then I was able to understand the fascination some have with the model.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 07:12 AM   #78
acf321
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was at the time but then it was explained to me that the GMT has differences to the Submariner beyond the colorful bezel (thickness and weight primarily) and then I was able to understand the fascination some have with the model.
Speedo, I can see you've warmed up on the GMT idea, which leads me to the next question. When are we going to see a picture of your lovely 1675???
Old 7 July 2016, 07:35 AM   #79
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acf321 View Post
Speedo, I can see you've warmed up on the GMT idea, which leads me to the next question. When are we going to see a picture of your lovely 1675???
I saw a very nice one while I was in Hong Kong, I may buy it next time I'm in town or one from this forum. The photos here are remarkable. Similarly, I've grown to like the 5513 and may get one of those instead. I've always felt that the colored bezel on the GMT makes a bold statement and makes the watch feel more sporty than a Submariner and that doesn't work with my wardrobe on most days. I don't like being restricted by color/wardrobe complications.
Old 7 July 2016, 08:35 AM   #80
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
I may even have to wear these "pepsi" golf pants someday:

jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 08:44 AM   #81
acf321
"TRF" Member

absolutely magnificent Jban!!!!!
Old 7 July 2016, 09:38 AM   #82
jban5
"TRF" Member

^^^^^^
Thank you
I love the 3
Old 7 July 2016, 11:05 AM   #83
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
It's impossible not to love the 1675.

Quote:
I can't love it because it looks like a colorful Submariner and I'd rather just have the serious Submariner. Is the motivation of owning one to look different than the Sub owner because there are so many more Subs out here?
Even though unintentional, this is the funniest thing I've read on TRF. Ever. And on so many levels
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 11:51 AM   #84
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
It's impossible not to love the 1675.

Even though unintentional, this is the funniest thing I've read on TRF. Ever. And on so many levels
Besides timekeeping, I have no need for any of the other functions any of the Rolex Sport models offer. I am not a diver, a sports car racer, a world traveler, a geologist, or a mountain climber.

As such, my decision to buy one model over the other is entirely about aesthetics, presence, and fit. No different then the other 95% of the Rolex buying public. And in this context, when one looks at all of the Rolex sport models in a display case at an authorized dealer, the GMT looks like a Submariner with a colored bezel. And if one doesn't like the colors, one doesn't buy a GMT.

If that amuses you, so be it.
Old 7 July 2016, 12:11 PM   #85
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Besides timekeeping, I have no need for any of the other functions any of the Rolex Sport models offer. I am not a diver, a sports car racer, a world traveler, a geologist, or a mountain climber.

As such, my decision to buy one model over the other is entirely about aesthetics, presence, and fit. No different then the other 95% of the Rolex buying public. And in this context, when one looks at all of the Rolex sport models in a display case at an authorized dealer, the GMT looks like a Submariner with a colored bezel. And if one doesn't like the colors, one doesn't buy a GMT.

If that amuses you, so be it.
It amuses me you seem to be unaware of LN (black) insert/bezel GMT Master/Maseter IIs. The all-black bezel option for GMT Masters has only been around and popular since at least the early 70s, made for people just like you who didn't/don't like the coloured bezels in the same way they began offering a GMT-esque date option on Subs a few years earlier. Someone sure seems to be buying those "non-color" GMT Masters, and if you've been looking in AD display cases then it's guaranteed you saw some 116710 LNs. Who knows, perhaps all you're life you've been mistaking every LN GMT Master you've seen for a Sub.

People buy GMTs on their own functionality/historical/iconic/aesthetic merits. They've been around just as long as Subs and are not some sort of Sub derivative. Sorry, but the Rolex world doesn't begin/end/or revolve around Subs no matter how your personal Rolex radar has been filtered in the past in order to lead you to asking your original question the way you did in a thread about 1675s; where somehow a Sub is shoehorned in as the prime motivator to buy one. Yes, that idea is indeed funny, ridiculously so.
Old 7 July 2016, 12:21 PM   #86
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

1675 how can't you love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBear View Post
I like it best with the black bezel! :)

Youthful descendent 16710N 1990... Can't leave home without it (except on designated Sub days).

... Can't afford a 1675 yet 😩

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 01:19 PM   #87
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, but the Rolex world doesn't begin/end/or revolve around Subs no matter how your personal Rolex radar has been filtered in the past in order to lead you to asking your original question the way you did in a thread about 1675s; where somehow a Sub is shoehorned in as the prime motivator to buy one. Yes, that idea is indeed funny, ridiculously so.
Thank you, I continue to learn many things over in the vintage subforum.

Scratched bezels aren't scratched they are experienced, dials aren't shopworn they're tropical, lume isn't peeling no that's patina, antique watches aren't antique they're vintage, pink bezels aren't pink they are faded.

I was able to pick that up on my own. I did not realize there was a GMT/Submariner inferiority complex, didn't see that one coming. Is there a comprehensive list of these vintage Rolex quirks for us newbs so we stop stepping on your strange landmines?
Old 7 July 2016, 07:41 PM   #88
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you, I continue to learn many things over in the vintage subforum.

Scratched bezels aren't scratched they are experienced, dials aren't shopworn they're tropical, lume isn't peeling no that's patina, antique watches aren't antique they're vintage, pink bezels aren't pink they are faded.

I was able to pick that up on my own. I did not realize there was a GMT/Submariner inferiority complex, didn't see that one coming. Is there a comprehensive list of these vintage Rolex quirks for us newbs so we stop stepping on your strange landmines?
Is that what you learned? And here I was hoping you'd learned that GMT Masters starting with the 1675s and continuing through the Master IIs have been available with LN bezels for the last 40+ years and counting for anyone wanting a "serious" plain black look or dudes concerned with wardrobe-matching.

Of course, if you weren't as ignorant of this well-known fact (the existence of GMT LNs) as you're pretending to be by sidestepping around it, then as a self-professed Sub fanboy who insists they're the "best" (yes, I read other threads) it's pretty clear from the way you framed your original "question" what your intentions were here on a thread about 1675s from the get-go.

So did you know the GMT Master, including 1675s, came in an LN version, or not? Have you been enlightened and therefore see the error of your original assumption about color and wardrobe-matching, or is this just another example showcasing a Complex that imagines some sort of Rolex pecking-order that somehow extends beyond your own little, personal preferences?

Also, whining about landmines you've sown yourself I find amusing as well. Thank you for the numerous chuckles today.
Old 7 July 2016, 11:17 PM   #89
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Is that what you learned? And here I was hoping you'd learned that GMT Masters starting with the 1675s and continuing through the Master IIs have been available with LN bezels for the last 40+ years and counting for anyone wanting a "serious" plain black look or dudes concerned with wardrobe-matching.

Of course, if you weren't as ignorant of this well-known fact (the existence of GMT LNs) as you're pretending to be by sidestepping around it, then as a self-professed Sub fanboy who insists they're the "best" (yes, I read other threads) it's pretty clear from the way you framed your original "question" what your intentions were here on a thread about 1675s from the get-go.

So did you know the GMT Master, including 1675s, came in an LN version, or not? Have you been enlightened and therefore see the error of your original assumption about color and wardrobe-matching, or is this just another example showcasing a Complex that imagines some sort of Rolex pecking-order that somehow extends beyond your own little, personal preferences?

Also, whining about landmines you've sown yourself I find amusing as well. Thank you for the numerous chuckles today.
People are ignorant of many things that simply don't interest them. I don't like country music so I couldn't name the top three stars of the country music galaxy if my life depended upon it. I drive a 4 Series BMW and know it intimately, I'll never own a 5 Series or a 2 Series so I pay little attention to those models.

Similarly, to me the GMT has always been a Submariner with a fanciful bezel and it did not interest me, thus I had no knowledge of it's all black version. Even if I did know the model intimately, I would not have chosen the black version as now that I look at photos it looks like a very busy and distracted Submariner.

As I said last night, I didn't realize there was this GMT/Submariner inferiority concern among GMT owners, not something I've run into in real life or the forums. Now I know of this sensitivity so I'll avoid comments on comparisons. What's good about this thread is that the photos have shown me that I like the look of a non-aged Pepsi, and I am considering a 5-digit version as the festive red/blue bezel against jeans and a t-shirt would be a nice changeup to my serious Submariner on weekends. So there you go. Another convert getting onboard. It's all good.
Old 8 July 2016, 04:00 AM   #90
jban5
"TRF" Member

I'm thinking that there is room for a 2 tone like the Springer one above on these old wool pants, the colors would fall right into place.

That is the first time I felt such an unnatural attraction to gold for the wrist.