The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 July 2016, 11:54 AM   #1
PACEVIPER
"TRF" Member

Red Submariner Box and papers

I have been lurking on the forum for quite some time researching and learning. Is 15,000 too much for a minty 1968 Reb Sub with box and papers. I am waiting on pictures. It's in a local watchmakers collection....... Thanks Jimmy
PACEVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 03:04 PM   #2
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Hi Jimmy,

15,000 sounds ok to me, But 1968 seams a little early for a 1680 Red Sub , I could be wrong but mid 1969 is as early as I have ever seen one.

I am sure somebody more informed will be along shortly, obviously pictures would help greatly
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 01:09 AM   #3
PACEVIPER
"TRF" Member

THANKS..........Im going to try and get a few pics. But at least he is in the ballpark price wise. I have owned an Explorer 2 and a 16610 Sub which I currently wear. But I have always wanted a vintage Rolex and the Red Sub does it for me...............Jimmy
Old 30 July 2016, 01:23 AM   #4
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

$15000 for a minty red sub with all papers is, in my opinion, an extremely good deal. Post up pics and we'll let you know our opinions of the watch. As to date range, let's see what serial/papers say...

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 01:46 AM   #5
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

I think its a great deal assuming everything checks out.
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 01:53 AM   #6
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
so many factors to consider. Is the watch all original? dial and hands flawless and match? Insert correct fat font? bracelet or no bracelet? Meters first or ft first? chocolate dial or black dial?

These could make a difference in thousands of dollar range.

either way, if the watch is truly mint collectors condition with complete B&P's, take it and run.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 02:35 AM   #7
Frogman4me
Banned

If it is all original and "minty" with box and papers expect 15k to be a steal. But post pics before you make the purchase as I have heard the term "original" and "minty" before and it was far from it.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 04:50 AM   #8
PACEVIPER
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. This is my first foray into vintage Rolex. I have a small collection of Railroad watches. But never spent anywhere near 15 grand for one. I will have it in hand Tuesday. So I should have more info then. Is there anything I should look for on the initial examination of the watch that would eliminate this watch for consideration......Thanks Jimmy
Old 30 July 2016, 06:04 AM   #9
southtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACEVIPER View Post
Thanks guys. This is my first foray into vintage Rolex. I have a small collection of Railroad watches. But never spent anywhere near 15 grand for one. I will have it in hand Tuesday. So I should have more info then. Is there anything I should look for on the initial examination of the watch that would eliminate this watch for consideration......Thanks Jimmy
Yes, lots of things. Since you don't have any experience with this model, I recommend to come back here with clear, concise pics of the dial (unobstructed by hands), case, backside, engravings between lugs at both 6 and 12, paperwork, bracelet scroll work, endlink stamps, etc. Post up these pics and we'll quickly give you good advice. But, if it's legit, you are knocking it out of the park at $15k.........

Also, look up here in the stickies section at red sub post. There's a link to a great article that gets most people started on this model.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 09:23 AM   #10
PACEVIPER
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone....I've picked up a few books. And reading everything on line I can get.
Old 31 July 2016, 01:15 PM   #11
PACEVIPER
"TRF" Member

These are my usual version of vintage watch.image.jpg
Old 31 July 2016, 01:19 PM   #12
PACEVIPER
"TRF" Member

image.jpg. Think I'm going to give up on the pictures
Old 31 July 2016, 02:24 PM   #13
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Yes, lots of things. Since you don't have any experience with this model, I recommend to come back here with clear, concise pics of the dial (unobstructed by hands), case, backside, engravings between lugs at both 6 and 12, paperwork, bracelet scroll work, endlink stamps, etc. Post up these pics and we'll quickly give you good advice. But, if it's legit, you are knocking it out of the park at $15k.........

Also, look up here in the stickies section at red sub post. There's a link to a great article that gets most people started on this model.
Very sound advice
Old 4 August 2016, 01:30 AM   #14
PACEVIPER
"TRF" Member

The guy changed his mind about selling it. But thanks for the help. I am now better prepared when I do find another....Jimmy