The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2017, 12:01 AM   #1
miked811
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Rubber band for my GMT II

Bought an Everest and really liked it. Unfortunately after 1.5 years it started tearing. I do however wear on a daily basis to be fair and not particularly tight, but was none the less disappointed in the $240 investment. I emailed Everest and after back and forth with Aleta, including pictures I was told she never saw that before, very unusual, but too bad, out of warranty. She then offered a 15% discount on my next purchase. She lost me as a customer. Rubber B will probably be my next purchase but wanted a long term durability review. Anyone? What about the quality on StrapFreak rubber bands?
miked811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 01:24 AM   #2
snowvapor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
wow that totally sucks. I also bought the everest band and I'm waiting for my watch to return from RSC to put it on. I hope that doesn't happen to me...do you have pics ?
snowvapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 01:25 AM   #3
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Rubber B on my daytona for 3 years. Zero issues

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 02:21 AM   #4
miked811
"TRF" Member

Sure do

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg
Old 1 February 2017, 02:22 AM   #5
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Sorry to hear that. Post the pictures here of the wear and tear. I bought an everest not too long ago and am interested to see.
Old 1 February 2017, 05:33 AM   #6
Eatapp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 Blue
What is their warranty? It's too bad their customer service wasn't able to do enough to keep a customer happy. I bet they didn't know it would be posted on a forum...
Eatapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 05:38 AM   #7
miked811
"TRF" Member

I believe Aleta said 1 year.
Old 1 February 2017, 06:35 AM   #8
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Ouch!

For what is in effect a solid lump of rubber and a massive price tag that is terrible customer service. Has put me off buying their Italian racing leather strap now :(
DJRikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 06:45 AM   #9
MBYSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Patek
Everest is a bit more comfortable IMO
Old 1 February 2017, 06:53 AM   #10
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Mike, you have a beautiful GMT, put it back on a bracelet. Some of the Breitlings look fine on rubber, but that Rolex belongs on a bracelet. I have experimented too, though did not have the guts to put my Explorer I. on RubberB which I purchased. I liked the idea of having leather on the outside and rubber on the ...opposite side... I am glad I did not change it after all.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 07:00 AM   #11
capacitance
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k, BLNR, PAM233
I have the same issue, still under one year though. Maybe I should exchange mine for warranty.
capacitance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 07:08 AM   #12
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

That sucks that it happened, but I kind of get her point. They can't replace everything for free.
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 07:39 AM   #13
miked811
"TRF" Member

Chris,
You make a great point. I did have a good run with this band and enjoyed it very much. My approach with Everest was: love the band, is this what I can expect after 1.5 years, or is it a one off. Aleta, the Customer Service point of contact responded, she's never seen that before and it is highly unusual. She then offered a 15% discount on my next band purchase which is available to all previous customers as a holiday promotion. She failed to reply to my next email which was :

"Thank you Aleta. In less than 2 years with your 15% discount I will have to spend over $400.00 to wear your product. I bought this band taking to heart that "this is the best aftermarket band for Rolex owners". You said this is a unique case yet, I only have been offered the same discount that anyone gets for the holiday? I love the band as I previously stated, but I'm sorry you will lose me as a loyal customer with this level of service."
Old 1 February 2017, 07:54 AM   #14
Lumberjact
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I would be at least mildly out out by this. Hope you get some satisfaction.

"Onto his wrist he slipped his steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual, the 34mm model, the date window its only complication; Bond did not need to know the phases of the moon or the exact moment of high tide at Southampton. And he suspected very few people did."
Lumberjact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 10:14 PM   #15
Fensterdub
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I'm glad I read this thread. I was literally about to pull the trigger on an Everest, but there's no way now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex GMT-Master II 126715CHNR
Franck Müller Reference 8080 CC AT VAL
Fensterdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 12:19 AM   #16
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Don't blame you. I have both straps and prefer the Everest over the Rubber B. I have not used either very often but would certainly be put off if either failed at 1.5 years at their price points.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 12:43 AM   #17
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
See if you can get your hands on a Rolex Oysterflex rubber strap.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 01:09 AM   #18
Lightforce1911
"TRF" Member

my Everest is only 2 months old, no issues yet. But if it rips after a year and a half id be mad too.
Lightforce1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 02:22 AM   #19
miked811
"TRF" Member

Just got a call from Everest Horology CEO Michael DiMartini. Extremely impressive as to his passion and concern for his products and company. It is rare when people take ownership and responsibility for their products and possible breakdowns in customer service, but Michael did so. I hated that it took this forum to finally make him aware of my concerns, but I give him tremendous credit for his compassionate and extremely ethical approach he took with me. Thank you Everest for doing the right thing. I will start a new thread as I think it only fair when Companies under the leadership of high moral CEO's, like Michael Dimartini, value their customers and strive to make the most outstanding products they can.
Old 2 February 2017, 02:33 AM   #20
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Hopefully they step up and give you 50% off and keep customers happy (and yet still cover costs). They seem to hand out bands left and right to every instagram watch account for advertising...
Old 2 February 2017, 02:49 AM   #21
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
Hold the phone on this thread - I'm seeing some very knee jerk reactions and I have a different experience that is counter to the hype (outside of the OP).

My 1st Everest purchase was the wrong size. 12 link size instead of 10. They took it back and sent me 5x5 - then took back the 5x5 and sent me the 6x4. 1st purchase on the black deployant strap. Cost me nothing but the cost of certified mail.

I now have the red tang, blue curved leather, blue deployant and green deployant straps.
*I have 3 rubber b also as they have options for watches Everest does not make like the 42mm Explorer 2.

I'm reading people turned off by their customer service but my experience is different.

I'm looking at your picture, where is the tearing? In the hole the pin goes? Maybe I'm blind, I'm definitely not looking to cause trouble - but where is this tear? Can you repost and circle in red or something like that?

I know on the deployant, the part where the clasp attaches is the thinnest, smallest part and I know if I wanted to test my strength I'm sure I could rip it off my wrist.

Also $220 for a strap is not big $ to spend for a quality watch strap for an expensive watch. I feel AP and Hublot OEM rubbers are significantly higher.

I see people saying let's turn 'em in before the warrantee ends. That's sort of not something I would do.

I can say since I have bought more than a handful and my watches have been featured on their instagram account - you're not getting them for free. At best you'll get a 30% discount if you are a solid customer and have a relationship with them.

Rubber b feels harder, less pliable, less comfortable for what it's worth. I have tang and deployant versions. The tang is softer than the deployant but it's also newer so time will tell.

Lastly - let's ding the oyster flex we all waited for, as it does not even fit the case lol.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 06:10 AM   #22
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Flex the rubber open further. Then squeeze a little Gorilla glue in the cracks, wipe off excess glue, let set. Good as new. That type of cracking generally is a stress crack from being too tight or pulled too tight when removing it.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 06:18 AM   #23
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
See if you can get your hands on a Rolex Oysterflex rubber strap.
Only issue there is the location of the spring bar hole!
On the RG YM case the holes are closer to the case so when fitting the oysterflex to a different Rolex watch head it doesn't look quite as good.

Pick from a thread on here a while back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7690.JPG (148.0 KB, 262 views)
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 06:22 AM   #24
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Been wearing a RubberB on my Exp II for 2 years swimming/hunting/riding the Harley so far no problems. I have the one that uses the OEM deployment buckle.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 06:29 AM   #25
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
For reference the oysterflex on the RG YM case.

I was gutted as I had my AD order the Oysterflex in to go on my Daytona, in the end I settled for fitting the glidelock clasp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7694.jpg (90.8 KB, 259 views)
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 06:32 AM   #26
miked811
"TRF" Member

Update on my post "Rubber band for my GMT II"

Update on my post. Got a call from the CEO of Everest Horology Products this morning. He was polite, warm, and extremely engaging. He told me how he built this company from the ground up. I expressed to him that I wish this situation was resolved earlier with the Customer Service folks. He agreed and took responsibility for his product, his employees, and his company. I was impressed with his candor and principles. My watch strap will be replaced and evaluated for information to improve the product. He has not seen the tearing I have had with my strap. I understand problems occur in any business, but the way you handle them speaks volumes. Thank you Everest for sticking to your core values. I'm onboard with you again. Semper Fi. Incidentally they are considering a longer warranty period.
Old 2 February 2017, 06:34 AM   #27
mikeps2006
"TRF" Member

ouch. personally i like bracelets.
mikeps2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 06:36 AM   #28
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked811 View Post
Update on my post. Got a call from the CEO of Everest Horology Products this morning. He was polite, warm, and extremely engaging. He told me how he built this company from the ground up. I expressed to him that I wish this situation was resolved earlier with the Customer Service folks. He agreed and took responsibility for his product, his employees, and his company. I was impressed with his candor and principles. My watch strap will be replaced and evaluated for information to improve the product. He has not seen the tearing I have had with my strap. I understand problems occur in any business, but the way you handle them speaks volumes. Thank you Everest for sticking to your core values. I'm onboard with you again. Semper Fi. Incidentally they are considering a longer warranty period.
Old 2 February 2017, 07:22 AM   #29
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Good to hear that it is resolved and even better to hear that the main man has rung you to put it right. I don't know how big that company is overall but that is a good response.

Like you say any product can have a problem. It's how it is resolved that matters.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 07:36 AM   #30
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
i did not see my post here but my experience with them has been amazing. i have purchased 6x from them.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote