The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2017, 03:41 AM   #1
BMess
"TRF" Member

Brand new dayona not working

My dad bought a Daytona 116503 from a very respected NJ AD about 3 weeks ago. He wears the watch everyday as its his only watch. He takes it off at night when he sleeps and puts it in the box for about 6 hours. Otherwise its always on his wrist. About a week after he bought it he noticed around 2:00pm that it had stopped running. He called the AD and they said it needs to wound when its first purchased and he should stop by the store and they'll wind it properly. Two weeks later it stopped again while on his wrist. I have a call into the owner of the AD to find out what's going on. I'd like to request a new one as this watch is only 3 weeks old and still covered by Rolex's warranty. What do you all suggest I do about this?

One of the women who works at the AD told my dad that he needs to wind it everyday, but that's obviously not the case, correct?
BMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 03:43 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

If he doesn't move around enough he will have to wind it.

I agree though that it shouldn't stop on his wrist.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 03:45 AM   #3
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
One of the women who works at the AD told my dad that he needs to wind it everyday, but that's obviously not the case, correct?
Correct. It may need a visit to RSC, and albeit being a disappointment not quite the end of the world.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 03:49 AM   #4
kwingy
"TRF" Member

I had a Zenith Daytona which use to do the same so I constantly had to wind it. But on the 116520 I had, I never manually winded the watch and it was perfectly fine just powered by the wrist.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 03:50 AM   #5
BMess
"TRF" Member

He's very active during the day so there's no reason it would stop on his wrist. Does anyone know what the power reserve is supposed to be on this model?
Old 4 March 2017, 03:51 AM   #6
Cryten
"TRF" Member

I would suspect the problem may be linked to his level of activity. Is he an active person?

Snap.
Answer above. So it must be an issue with the watch.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 03:53 AM   #7
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He's very active during the day so there's no reason it would stop on his wrist. Does anyone know what the power reserve is supposed to be on this model?
It does vary but I guess your dad's model has the 4130 so should be good for at least 50 hours...
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 03:58 AM   #8
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster & SubC
If it consistently stops working after about 2 weeks then perhaps his activity level is not enough to keep the watch wound. Otherwise something is off with the power reserve.
Louis (Toronto) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 03:59 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I would wind it 70 full turns and see how long the power reserve lasts without wearing it
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 04:05 AM   #10
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Wouldn't you have to be extremely sedentary for a Rolex on your wrist to stop due to inactivity? How much movement is required?
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 04:08 AM   #11
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
may have a rotor issue, or mainspring, or the watch was not properly oiled (hey, it happens), or any number of things
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 04:19 AM   #12
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Daytona needs at least 60 winds of the crown. How active is he? Inactivity will not spin the winding rotor enough to keep it running.
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 04:48 AM   #13
behardt
"TRF" Member

My sub did this right before the mainspring went.
Old 4 March 2017, 04:53 AM   #14
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
My dad bought a Daytona 116503 from a very respected NJ AD about 3 weeks ago. He wears the watch everyday as its his only watch. He takes it off at night when he sleeps and puts it in the box for about 6 hours. Otherwise its always on his wrist. About a week after he bought it he noticed around 2:00pm that it had stopped running. He called the AD and they said it needs to wound when its first purchased and he should stop by the store and they'll wind it properly. Two weeks later it stopped again while on his wrist. I have a call into the owner of the AD to find out what's going on. I'd like to request a new one as this watch is only 3 weeks old and still covered by Rolex's warranty. What do you all suggest I do about this?

Totally ignore the people at the store. Very important to do so. Send the watch directly to a RSC. They'll do it right.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 05:03 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Your idea of very active, and the reality of actual wrist movement (enough to wind the watch) may be very different.

What you describe is exactly what happens when somebody is not active enough to keep the watch wound at a sufficient level to offset the energy it needs to keep it running, plus winding further.

The "fix" for those of us with a few years under our belts, is to give it a few winds once a week.. Enough to off-set our more conservative movements..
Old 4 March 2017, 05:10 AM   #16
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
If it's worn real loose it may not wind while on the wrist

Let us know what u find out

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 05:14 AM   #17
BMess
"TRF" Member

He's a real estate developer/investor so he's showing property/walking job sites all day everyday. He's also a competitive tennis player--playing 5x per week--with the watch on. There's absolutely no reason the watch should stop while on his wrist. Still waiting for AD to call me back and I'll update then.
Old 4 March 2017, 05:20 AM   #18
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
If it's worn real loose it may not wind while on the wrist
Never heard that one before!
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 05:22 AM   #19
BMess
"TRF" Member

UPDATE: My dad winds the watch every week. The AD told him to wind it 60 full rotations every week so he does and it still stops running on his wrist. AD is going to have his watchmaker look over it at the store and then, if necessary, send it out to RSC for an overhaul. Hope this gets resolved.
Old 4 March 2017, 05:32 AM   #20
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:

as others have said but fwiw, its got a warranty for a reason and the cost is embedded into the watch price. whether the AD does anything is up to the AD.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 05:34 AM   #21
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
The only time my Daytona didn't keep exact time was when i had not worn it 3 weeks, pulled it out of the safe, wound it 20x and engaged the big sweeping second hand.

Turns out you have to wind the Daytona like 50 times.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 06:06 AM   #22
Left wrist
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP PATEK PAM ROLEX
RSC will sort it out for your dad.
Left wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 10:14 AM   #23
BMess
"TRF" Member

Update: Overnighted to RSC 3 weeks ago. AD says RSC will have the watch for "at least another 2 weeks." Is it unreasonable to ask for a new watch? I didn't buy a watch just to wear it for a week and then not have it for 5+ weeks. What would you all do in this situation?
Old 27 March 2017, 10:34 AM   #24
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
No need to ask for a refund. You bought a new watch precisely because it has a warranty. Well, now you are using the warranty. Let them fix it and meanwhile wear another watch.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 08:51 AM   #25
BMess
"TRF" Member

Finally got the watch back today. "Reverse motion" or something like that was broken and needed to be replaced. Hope there arent anymore issues moving forward.
Old 8 April 2017, 09:13 AM   #26
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Quote:
Update: Overnighted to RSC 3 weeks ago. AD says RSC will have the watch for "at least another 2 weeks." Is it unreasonable to ask for a new watch? I didn't buy a watch just to wear it for a week and then not have it for 5+ weeks. What would you all do in this situation?
Unreasonable (to get a new watch): yes. Unfortunate: yes. Fixable: yes. End of the world: no.

Just my thoughts.
Old 8 April 2017, 09:20 AM   #27
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Glad to hear you got it back
Old 8 April 2017, 09:20 AM   #28
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
A new Rolex comes with a 5-year warranty, so no worries. The professionals got it sorted out, as usual. Every now and then, even a quality brand like Rolex will produce a dud. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
ras47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 09:22 AM   #29
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Finally got the watch back today. "Reverse motion" or something like that was broken and needed to be replaced. Hope there arent anymore issues moving forward.
Glad to see your dad's watch is back and problems are fixed with it.

Sucks that it had to happen. I know, my brand new 2011 5 series had to go back to dealership a few times in the first 5k miles to take care of some sensors that were causing check engine light issues, and all I could think was ' I didn't buy a $60k car to have it repaired in the first 3 months of driving. But it happened and warranty work took care of it. A few weeks later, I forgot all about the pain and enjoyed the car.

I am sure your dad will forget this soon and (finally) start to enjoy the watch he bought.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 09:42 AM   #30
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Glad it's sorted.
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote