The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 April 2017, 06:22 AM   #1
APAP
"TRF" Member

Is Panerai fading into oblivion?

Is it just me or is there no love for Panerai anymore?

I enjoy my 335 but it's getting less and less wrist time for some reason. I might be too much into AP but that piece used to excite me a lot!

Now none of their watches temps me anymore. Is the brand getting old?
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 06:38 AM   #2
nursejm
Banned

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Tag.
Your just excited with your new "AP" watch..

Panerai will still be there, even APAP isn't wearing his PAM.
nursejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 06:43 AM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

???

For OP, generally? No.

For you, personally? Seems like it.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 07:05 AM   #4
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I was wondering the same thing. Seems like Rolex really took off again and nobody really cares for panerai. I used to wear a 005. I was thinking of getting another and that's also another thing that was turning my brain was I paid over retail when I bought that one. Now they seem to be very much more friendly to the wallet. Don't wanna use the word cheap at all, because they aren't... but prices and demand seem to have come way down. I was lucky to get mine at the AD when I did.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 07:32 AM   #5
nick c
Banned

To be honest I lately only wear Panerai
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 07:33 AM   #6
chemistman
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, Exp II, SubC
Look at their second hand prices... used to be hot cake, now models everywhere .... yes they r gone.
chemistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 07:50 AM   #7
islands62
"TRF" Member

It's definitely not as popular as it was a few years ago. It's no longer featured in movies, and to most people they all look the same. The elephant in the room is also that the fakes are really hitting the PAM market a bit hard.
islands62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 08:06 AM   #8
artschool
"TRF" Member

I still want one. they look great.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 08:53 AM   #9
Tommyk
"TRF" Member

Excuse my rambling but these are my thoughts ...

The media and socialites of the era right now are very strong on Rolex, its a very recognizable brand, and that is what a non-enthusiasts wants when they are shelling out money for something is for everyone to know that they did.

Panerai is still popular, it might have lost some of its craze from several years ago though.

I think what could be said is now that the brand has had roughly 15 strong years there are more watches available in the open market. If you consider that Panerai makes about 100,000 watches a year, we now have over 1.5 million watches in the market place were as before the demand was higher than the supply from the manufacture. The rate of supply was constant but not enough to over spill into the private market.

Now we are in a time and place were there are just more watches trading hands on the private market to satisfy the demand and cool the frenzy for them.

Panerai is still more of an enthusiasts brand, it has wide following and many know what they are but the average person would not know. I would even say that a very big percentage of Rolex owners don't know what a Panerai is. Over time that will probably change since the designs are very timeless and the brand will grow more recognition, but for now we can all enjoy what we have.
Tommyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 09:25 AM   #10
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islands62 View Post
It's definitely not as popular as it was a few years ago. It's no longer featured in movies, and to most people they all look the same. The elephant in the room is also that the fakes are really hitting the PAM market a bit hard.
The Rolex Submariner is the most faked watch in the world and there is a 6 to 12 months waiting list for them in the UK so that argument doesn't stack up.

Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 09:31 AM   #11
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyk View Post
Excuse my rambling but these are my thoughts ...

The media and socialites of the era right now are very strong on Rolex, its a very recognizable brand, and that is what a non-enthusiasts wants when they are shelling out money for something is for everyone to know that they did.

Panerai is still popular, it might have lost some of its craze from several years ago though.

I think what could be said is now that the brand has had roughly 15 strong years there are more watches available in the open market. If you consider that Panerai makes about 100,000 watches a year, we now have over 1.5 million watches in the market place were as before the demand was higher than the supply from the manufacture. The rate of supply was constant but not enough to over spill into the private market.

Now we are in a time and place were there are just more watches trading hands on the private market to satisfy the demand and cool the frenzy for them.

Panerai is still more of an enthusiasts brand, it has wide following and many know what they are but the average person would not know. I would even say that a very big percentage of Rolex owners don't know what a Panerai is. Over time that will probably change since the designs are very timeless and the brand will grow more recognition, but for now we can all enjoy what we have.
Nicely said
Old 17 April 2017, 09:51 AM   #12
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
don't think so....still many people buying, i wear my panerai's much more than rolex. seeing more and more in my travels.

to each his own

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 09:59 AM   #13
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Historics only the rest have diluted the brand
MP5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 10:00 AM   #14
NothingToSeeHere
"TRF" Member

Yes. AP will suffer the same fate. Obscurity, no? Thanks to Social media, unknown brands have a fad period and then they stabilize. Panerai is past the fad, in a dip, but it will stabilize. AP is the current fad watch. Unfortunately 87.323279% of fad followers will not admit they follow trends...most likely because they don't realize they do. If you have what's popular when it's popular, and there is a consistent pattern.....
NothingToSeeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 10:10 AM   #15
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
It is a great time to buy a Panerai or any non-Rolex watch for that matter. Wear what you like and you'll be alright. However, if you chase trends, prepare to be burned when the flame dies out.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 10:10 AM   #16
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
don't think so....still many people buying, i wear my panerai's much more than rolex. seeing more and more in my travels.

to each his own
Same here
Old 17 April 2017, 10:14 AM   #17
DR0310
"TRF" Member

I'm not trying to argue since I own multiple AP's and pañerías --
But how is the AP a fad watch when it's been around as a popular watch for longer than panerai?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DR0310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 10:56 AM   #18
waikeekee
"TRF" Member

I am still dreaming and planning my purchase of my next Pam. I have 8. Always excited to see the new range yearly. I say, this brand is still strong and among the top brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waikeekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 10:57 AM   #19
islands62
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post
The Rolex Submariner is the most faked watch in the world and there is a 6 to 12 months waiting list for them in the UK so that argument doesn't stack up.

Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk
i don't see how your observation of the U.K. market, for a different type of watch has any bearing on my post whatsoever.
islands62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 11:11 AM   #20
mfer
"TRF" Member

The days of appreciating value watches is over. Bronze is still possible for this, but those days are numbered as well.

I wish they could lower their prices and limit production a little. Something to keep them closer to MSRP. I mean when you think about the cost (MSRP) of a 372 and they second hand market. Makes you think.

I'm still a fan but will only buy what I know I really want. Wouldn't buy thinking I can just sell it quickly.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 11:39 AM   #21
clyde2801
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd say the fakes hit the secondary market hard and effect the value of used pieces, but probably serve to help sales at the AD's and boutiques.

As for fakes not affecting Rolex sales, any Rolex AD will authenticate a used piece, usually free of charge. I'd also say that it's easier to copy a relatively simplistic look of Pams than the more ornate looking modern Rolexes.

I'd agree that Panerai is an enthusiast's brand and doesn't have the name recognition and cache that Rolex does with the general public. That said, I found my lowly Pam Zero can wow people that won't look twice at a Rolex.
clyde2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 11:49 AM   #22
Maltie
"TRF" Member

APAP, must be you, I can't wait to add the PAM687 and PAM671 to my collection and my PAM623 seems to get 80% wristtime lately. Panerai has never been as strong during SIHH2017.
Maltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 12:52 PM   #23
chemistman
"TRF" Member

Quite the truth there. The fact that panerai do not authenticate does not help either. Pam is a strange brand- I love their early models way more than recent releases. 000, 005, 111, 024 and all the simple dials are actually the best ones.

A few years ago it was hard to get a 111, 312 or 005, now they are everywhere at a discount.

How tides have changed so quickly....
Old 17 April 2017, 01:56 PM   #24
bojinns
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Breit
Not for me; I love my PAM. Since its one of my newer watch purchases recently; and the ability to quite easily swap straps for a different look; I love all PAMs.
bojinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 02:03 PM   #25
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i don't see how your observation of the U.K. market, for a different type of watch has any bearing on my post whatsoever.
Just because there are a lot of fakes around doesn't mean people don't still want the original.

I was using the Submariner as the extreme example of this. It is the MOST faked watch, yet more and more people want the original.

As I live in the UK, I can only use the UK market as a basis for my observations, but people are people the world over.

In November 2016 (which was only 6 months ago) I purchased a Pam 673 which was limited to 1000 pieces.

That watch was sold out in the UK through pre orders. I was on a reserve list with 2 AD's and only managed to get mine due to the guy who it was originally offered to not having the available funds when it came to the crunch.

So in answer to the OP's original question, No, I do not believe there is no longer any love for Panerai.

People will always appreciate and want quality.
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 04:10 PM   #26
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToSeeHere View Post
Yes. AP will suffer the same fate. Obscurity, no? Thanks to Social media, unknown brands have a fad period and then they stabilize. Panerai is past the fad, in a dip, but it will stabilize. AP is the current fad watch. Unfortunately 87.323279% of fad followers will not admit they follow trends...most likely because they don't realize they do. If you have what's popular when it's popular, and there is a consistent pattern.....

Wow. AP a fad? You might want to do some research before spouting off nonsense.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 05:41 PM   #27
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
I the love for Panerai is still as strong as ever. Rolex is having a good run with some pretty interesting new releases (SS Daytona C, Submariner no date, SS Skydweller etc) but Panerai will hold its own.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 06:09 PM   #28
chemistman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Wow. AP a fad? You might want to do some research before spouting off nonsense.
+1 on this. AP has a long running history, high craftsmanship and most importantly, low (er) production volume.

Most fad watches pump out volume to make a quick buck and when the trend stops they go into oblivion.

I suspect what we see happening to panerai is akin to over supply. There are simply too many similar models around hence price and desirability drops.

Plus the fact that AP sue the sh*t out of everyone that tries to copy the RO design, which protects their brand equity.

Now look at panerai , you can get a homage with 99% similar looking dial, case, and a 6497 movement (without the logo)- for $200-$300...

If I want a AP RO homage it's pretty hard to find.
Old 17 April 2017, 06:33 PM   #29
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

We should remember that this is a Rolex fan-club and that any other brand will play second fiddle. I also feel that Rolex has become the go-to 'affordable' luxury watch brand akin to people going out to buy a 'Hoover' rather than a vacuum cleaner. Looking at other brands, Patek is unreachable because of price and perhaps Panerai is the cool choice. I think the brand is great although I haven't found one I'd want as a keeper.
Old 17 April 2017, 10:26 PM   #30
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Everybody likes someting else. I really like my Sub and Speedmaster and definitely enjoy wearing Panerai.
My wife regularly wears my 000 and likes it.
This makes me happy man!

With regards to resale prices or popularity I don't really care as I don't want hobby to became investment and I never buy what I don't like.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote