The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 April 2017, 01:36 PM   #31
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

Washington state.
Old 24 April 2017, 02:14 PM   #32
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What region makes the best beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
Hard question

Easy question.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 02:40 PM   #33
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish

But seriously, some great beer comes out of the Midwest. Michigan, Indiana, Chicago. Some of my current favorites are Sagatuck Neapolitan, Sun King Cream Ale, and the old King of Beers as a standby.
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 03:46 PM   #34
SearChart
TechXpert

I like all kinds of beer, Dutch, German, Belgian, Irish, Czech...
If I really have to pick a favourite it would be Guinness.

SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 10:52 PM   #35
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
IPAs seem to be all the rage for the past few years, but I find them to be disgusting.

I'm not really "into" beer. I just enjoy beers that are light, crisp and ice cold that I can drink at any time of the day. Pacifico, Modelo Especial, Sapporo, Kirin, Singha, Chang, Stella, Peroni... all great tasting to me.
IPAs are light ales in a similar style to many of the lagers you've listed, in the US many breweries are experimenting with the hopping of IPAs in different ways and perhaps it's the over use of hops you don't like.

I love hops and I'm always trying something new and managed to get myself addicted to Serria Nevada Torpedo, their extra hopped IPA. I was in New York and drank the local minimart out of it, and then went to Florida and did the same thing to two bottle stores and a supermarket. I'm back in FL next month so I hope they've restocked.

Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 10:55 PM   #36
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
IPAs are light ales in a similar style to many of the lagers you've listed, in the US many breweries are experimenting with the hopping of IPAs in different ways and perhaps it's the over use of hops you don't like.

I love hops and I'm always trying something new and managed to get myself addicted to Serria Nevada Torpedo, their extra hopped IPA. I was in New York and drank the local minimart out of it, and then went to Florida and did the same thing to two bottle stores and a supermarket. I'm back in FL next month so I hope they've restocked.

7.7% i know that one well. very good for the $.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 11:13 PM   #37
Kainz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
I think beers brewed in Quebec are pretty good... but I might be biased you should try them if you can
Kainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 12:21 AM   #38
Bo-Dacious
"TRF" Member

With my current taste for barrel aged imperial stouts and barrel aged sours, Colorado is taking care of me pretty well.
Bo-Dacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 01:00 AM   #39
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Three words.........Russian Rivery Brewery
Old 25 April 2017, 01:02 AM   #40
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
i knew it!

"And then we'll have the west coast guys pounding pilny and Russian River brewing. All great."

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 25 April 2017, 01:15 AM   #41
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
For IPAs, I like the San Diego area- Stone, Ballast Point, Green Flash, etc. Something to do with the nasty tasting water (gypsum tasting) I believe. Mitch Steele, the brewmaster @ Stone has a gift, in my opinion.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 01:28 AM   #42
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
So many great beers out there.....couple in this thread I have not tried so will have to get back much later with the best....
Btw...anyone have a great stout suggestion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 01:49 AM   #43
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
So many great beers out there.....couple in this thread I have not tried so will have to get back much later with the best....
Btw...anyone have a great stout suggestion?
If you like a stout try Harviestoun Brewery's Old Engine Oil, It's a delicious chocolaty black ale. Total Wines carry it in the US.

Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 03:51 AM   #44
Dartmouthbrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Bronze
HAHAHAHA... I read the title as "What religion makes the best beer". If that were the case, i'd have to say those Trappist Monks in Belgium. But now that I know what it really says, I'd have to go with New England. Im from the East Coast. I live in Washington. Close 2nd for me in the Pacific NW.
Dartmouthbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 05:30 AM   #45
BristolCavendish
Banned

DIY home brewing (providing one has access to the right hops, high quality yeast, excellent malt and distilled water). Depending on space availability, you can either 'lager' it (refrigerated fermentation) or 'steam beer' it (fermentation at room temperature).

A great hobby (although it takes some time and practice to dial everything in just right). Nowadays, most commercial beers incorporate additives in order to streamline the production process and to add flavorings/colorations.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 05:51 AM   #46
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
DIY home brewing (providing one has access to the right hops, high quality yeast, excellent malt and distilled water). Depending on space availability, you can either 'lager' it (refrigerated fermentation) or 'steam beer' it (fermentation at room temperature).

A great hobby (although it takes some time and practice to dial everything in just right). Nowadays, most commercial beers incorporate additives in order to streamline the production process and to add flavorings/colorations.
Never thought of home brewing beer, seems like a fun hobby!
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 05:54 AM   #47
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Colorado. It seems we have a new micro-brew opening every week.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 08:29 AM   #48
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Pbr or Busch if you are a true american
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Old Style or Schlitz.
Really? Sound very German if you ask me. As an Englishman I'm not allowed to try these. I had some great steaks in Japan when I was younger so my top beer is probably Asahi.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 10:59 AM   #49
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
Q - Why do they call American beer......"sex on the beach ?"

A - Because it is f_ _ _ ing near water.

You have no idea how many Americans we've gotten drunk with our much stronger Canadian beer. And that joke comes to me courtesy of someone from Wisconsin. There's some great beers down there too......Moon Man and Spotted Cow from the "New Glarus" brewery come to mind.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 11:21 AM   #50
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Grew up in Wisconsin so can agree with above, but don't forget Minnesota, particularly Surly Brewery. They have 2 beers rated in the top 100 worldwide.
Old 25 April 2017, 11:30 AM   #51
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
You have no idea how many Americans we've gotten drunk with our much stronger Canadian beer.
Anyone who has been drinking mainstream American beer (i.e. Coors, Budweiser, Miller etc.) since the 1970s (or earlier) will attest to the 'watered-down' factor. There once was a time when Budweiser actually had a 'woody' taste (was it the beechwood?) and Olympia (long gone) was pretty 'hoppy' in flavor. Over the ensuing years/decades, all of those inherent characteristics seemed to disappear as the price for a regular six-pack of 'premium domestic' grew from around $1.25 to approximately $7.50 nowadays.

Back in the early 1980s, I recall having a Molson's for the first time. For a regular premium Canadian beer, it was a lot more potent than its contemporary American counterparts. The watering-down of mainstream U.S. beers has been going on for a long time.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 11:39 AM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
Q - Why do they call American beer......"sex on the beach ?"

You have no idea how many Americans we've gotten drunk with our much stronger Canadian beer. And that joke comes to me courtesy of someone from Wisconsin. There's some great beers down there too......Moon Man and Spotted Cow from the "New Glarus" brewery come to mind.
Maybe 25 years ago. Canada has some great beer, specifically Quebec, but as a whole comparing Canada's beer offerings to Americas is a bit like comparing the CFL to the NFL.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 11:49 AM   #53
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I like all kinds of beer, Dutch, German, Belgian, Irish, Czech...
If I really have to pick a favourite it would be Guinness.

I'll always have a soft spot for a pint of the black stuff. I even convinced my wife to put a tap in our house...then I told her the cost (about 2k usd) she's said no way!

Of course there's cheaper set ups but I wanted a good commercial grade kegerator.

Quote:

That's a solid offering from Sierra Nevada. If you get the chance, tour their east coast brewery in Asheville North Carolina. It's palatial to put it lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainz View Post
I think beers brewed in Quebec are pretty good... but I might be biased you should try them if you can
Agreed! Was just in Montreal this fall and Dieu Du Ciel was amazing. Also drink la fin du monde on the regular. I have a deep love for tripels.

Quote:
Good stuff Dr Bob. Fortunately a member here sent me some fresh bombers of Pliny a few months back. I enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
For IPAs, I like the San Diego area- Stone, Ballast Point, Green Flash, etc. Something to do with the nasty tasting water (gypsum tasting) I believe. Mitch Steele, the brewmaster @ Stone has a gift, in my opinion.
SD has been ahead of the curve for the new wave of breweries in the US. Stone and Green flash were some of my go tos when I first got into craft beer and they still are
Old 25 April 2017, 11:56 AM   #54
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Really? Sound very German if you ask me. As an Englishman I'm not allowed to try these. I had some great steaks in Japan when I was younger so my top beer is probably Asahi.
Schlitz used to be quite popular. Where I grew up it was cheaper than RC Cola and the beer of choice for under age drinkers who didn't care about flavor or side effects. Schlitz gives me a head ache today just looking at the can.

I don't drink anymore. But I was getting into English ales when I retired the habit.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 12:09 PM   #55
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I've had a number of different IPAs and they all taste very strong and bitter to me. Not a fan.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 10:01 PM   #56
xIZeitgeistIx
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC & Sub
Germany 24/7
xIZeitgeistIx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 10:30 PM   #57
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I've had a number of different IPAs and they all taste very strong and bitter to me. Not a fan.
its the hops

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:42 AM   #58
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIZeitgeistIx View Post
Germany 24/7
Just had a half liter of Weihenstephan yesterday. I'm not sure anything is better on a hot day.
Old 28 April 2017, 05:55 AM   #59
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
DO miss living in Germany. Whether a great Heffeweizen or a Raedler Mass in Muenchen on a hot (by German standards) July day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Pbr or Busch if you are a true american
And you once owned a Chevette. Great on a bushel of Blue Claws though

Quote:
This is on of the few I have not tried. The Younger or the Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmouthbrian View Post
HAHAHAHA... I read the title as "What religion makes the best beer". If that were the case, i'd have to say those Trappist Monks in Belgium. But now that I know what it really says, I'd have to go with New England. Im from the East Coast. I live in Washington. Close 2nd for me in the Pacific NW.
Westvleteren is superb and easily in my top 5

Tree House Brewing in western Mass is insanely good. VT's Sip Of Sunshine is still my favorite all around. Trillium can be really, really good. (Note to self, only 6 cans of Cutting Tiles remain)

I can get Trillium most readily as the brewery is only 30 minutes north of the office.

Being in New England has superb offerings for beer but still difficult to get as the good batches are gone in a day or two after a really long line for a small amount (TreeHouse).

Maine Beer Co is great, Night Shift, Proclamation Ale, bunch more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Schlitz used to be quite popular. Where I grew up it was cheaper than RC Cola and the beer of choice for under age drinkers who didn't care about flavor or side effects. Schlitz gives me a head ache today just looking at the can.

I don't drink anymore. But I was getting into English ales when I retired the habit.
Schlitz Beer Ball - a headache was not the only thing it gave you

Side note - when you look at the BA Top 250 and only have had 24 of the top 250 you realize there is work to be done...
Old 28 April 2017, 07:46 AM   #60
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

USA - Colorado
In the Unlimited category - Czech Republic