The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 April 2017, 09:22 AM   #31
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdoug View Post
Yes, and so will any other certified diver on this board. .
btw the other diver said he's seen people died 2x in waters deeper than i said plus other stuff with ears and teeth. or that's me with a 2nd account i use to have conversations with myself.

you're a super human diver i guess. keep it up!
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 09:26 AM   #32
HoustonRoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 116600
I have an SD4K. I don't dive. I don't even shower with my watch and it's been in a pool once but it's nice to know that it'll be ok if I fall off a boat. It will still keep good time after my body has imploded from pressure. ��

My wife dives and from what she tells me, 100m is well beyond a normal divers range.
At that depth, you're pretty much a commercial diver with special equipment if I recall correctly.
HoustonRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 09:37 AM   #33
diverdoug
Banned

Watch: YG GMT/blue Sky-D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Lume View Post
btw the other diver said he's seen people died 2x in waters deeper than i said plus other stuff with ears and teeth. or that's me with a 2nd account i use to have conversations with myself.

you're a super human diver i guess. keep it up!
Is English not your first language? if not my hat is off to you for being multi-lingual, keep up the good work in your efforts to master the English language! If you are already well versed in the use of English, I must ask what type of crack are you smoking today? It's dissociative properties seem to be profound.
diverdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 11:20 AM   #34
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

I dove 30 meters several times this spring in Australia with a polar EXPII. Didn't give it a second thought. It still seems to be working fine and its been a couple months since I returned.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 11:35 AM   #35
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
Quote:
Is English not your first language? if not my hat is off to you for being multi-lingual, keep up the good work in your efforts to master the English language! If you are already well versed in the use of English, I must ask what type of crack are you smoking today? It's dissociative properties seem to be profound.
i said there was a simple mistake of recreational diver not meaning someone who goes diving on vacation.

my friend, i won't insult you like you chose to do with me. but perhaps 43 years under the sea you've lost touch with someone who's not as experienced as you.

btw conversations about drugs are not allowed on this board. just because i am from holland does not give you the right to ask me about crack cocaine.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 12:10 PM   #36
Sailman
"TRF" Member

I'm no expert diver but I've been to 20ft and 120ft and never felt any real differences. Never had any ear or tooth issues and all with a exp II .

Cheers
Sailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 12:29 PM   #37
diverdoug
Banned

Quote:
i said there was a simple mistake of recreational diver not meaning someone who goes diving on vacation.

my friend, i won't insult you like you chose to do with me. but perhaps 43 years under the sea you've lost touch with someone who's not as experienced as you.

btw conversations about drugs are not allowed on this board. just because i am from holland does not give you the right to ask me about crack cocaine.
If you are from a non-English speaking country, I do not mean to make a joke of your language deficiency. Your statement that diving to 50 feet is difficult without a high level of experience or physical ability is patently incorrect. I did not know you were from Holland, It is a beautiful country.
Old 27 April 2017, 12:33 PM   #38
Karlig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Hulk
I'm a recreational diver with approximately 150 dives at depths down to 110'. Most dive boats only allow you to go down around 80' for safety. Divers going 200 to 300' are few and this is very advanced technical diving, and fairly dangerous for most of us. A sub or gmt should work great for the average recreational diver. You really don't need a watch for diving as a good dive computer tells you everything you need to know including the time.
Karlig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 12:39 PM   #39
diverdoug
Banned

I dive with a Suunto D9 which doubles as a trimix computer
Old 27 April 2017, 12:53 PM   #40
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
yes it seems like those of us who are not real divers have problems in the deep waters. sorry for the confusion.

No worries. I had just finished my extended range check out dives in FL back in 05 and went to do 2 dives the next weekend in Pompano FL. We were supposed to be either on the Lowrance or the Renegade (can't remember and don't want to go dig through old logbooks). Either way both dives are tec dives but south Florida tec dives. Easy diving, warm deco, good vis, great weather, etc. I was having some sinus issues and on the first dive I couldn't get past 20'. I couldn't equalize. Tried for 5 min and went back to the boat. Good news was next time we went diving one set of my doubles was full so I saved $100 or so on an airfill. Diving physiology is a theory. Depth can effect every diver differently and even effect the same diver differently depending on conditions, how the diver feels, stress level, physical exertion, etc. One of my best diving buddies swears he gets 3 martini narc'ed at 100' if he's diving air and I know he does by how he acts and looks there. That said I never feel anything unless I hit 140'+ on air until my first dive in NJ. I was in 95' water diving in crap vis, high current, cold water and I was narc'ed and showing signs of CO2 buildup. I'm in no way arguing with anyone and would never try to tell someone what or how they feel. I know different people and different conditions breed different effects on everyone. I can say from the numerous dives I have had in 250'+fsw you don't "feel" the pressure on your body. Tec diving gets a dangerous rep bc 99% of the time an accident occurs the diver is not trained, lacking equipment, or suffering from a physical condition (most of the time hungover or stressed out). You can't be afraid to call a dive. I've done it and pissed people off but I've known I wasn't feeling quite right and that's better than jumping in on a wish and a prayer. I mentioned the 2 fatalities I've been a part of first hand. One of those happened in a swimming pool that's 18' deep by a student at U of A and one diving a wreck out of Pensacola. The diver that passed out of Pensacola had almost 1500 dives and was training on a Rebreather. He messed up his mixes and breathed a fatal gas mix at depth and died of oxygen toxicity. Both easily prevented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 01:23 PM   #41
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
. The diver that passed out of Pensacola had almost 1500 dives and was training on a Rebreather. He messed up his mixes and breathed a fatal gas mix at depth and died of oxygen toxicity. Both easily prevented.
That's terrible, I'm sorry to hear that.
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 01:29 PM   #42
ikebrewer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Yes, and so will any other certified diver on this board. Any diver that has learned very basic equalization techniques that are taught at the beginning of any basic SCUBA course will easily dive below 50 feet. It seems that a computer keyboard and Google define the extent of your diving knowledge.
sorry, have to agree with diverdoug on this one. i've been diving a long time (36-ish years), but i've also been on many, many dives with novices and 20ft, 25ft, 50ft, or 70ft are essentially the same in terms of what you feel physically... mentally, i've seen divers struggle at 20ft - sometimes less - when they know they're supposed to go deeper.
ikebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 02:30 PM   #43
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
My understanding is that the crystal on a Sub is thicker than on a GMT. I learned this recently when looking into purchasing a crystal without cyclops for my GMTc....it would appear that the only difference between the crystal of a 116520 and a 114060 is the thickness...
HIJACK DUE TO POTENTIAL ROLEX PURITY VIOLATION.

Rolex was going to let you put a non-standard crystal on a GMT??? This is the second of such things I have read this evening. Oh, I'm feeling faint, bring me the vapors!
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 05:06 PM   #44
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
HIJACK DUE TO POTENTIAL ROLEX PURITY VIOLATION.

Rolex was going to let you put a non-standard crystal on a GMT??? This is the second of such things I have read this evening. Oh, I'm feeling faint, bring me the vapors!

LOL. No, Rolex won't allow me to do it.....but my local watchmaker will.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 05:22 PM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Yes, and so will any other certified diver on this board. Any diver that has learned very basic equalization techniques that are taught at the beginning of any basic SCUBA course will easily dive below 50 feet. It seems that a computer keyboard and Google define the extent of your diving knowledge.
Have to agree Padi and BSAC instructor for many years now retired, most all recreational divers would limit to around 35m-40m max.Those with much more experience and certification could go deeper with careful planning.As long as you obey all the rules of safe diving, equalization of ears and face mask while slowly descending and with proper use of dive tables 50ft is quite a shallow dive for any certified novice diver.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 11:04 PM   #46
esscaster
"TRF" Member

back to OP, I've had both I think it's simply because the GMT is only air pressure tested (for the 100 rating) and the Sub goes through air and water pressure testing (to give it the higher depth rating).

dunk that GMT into a water pressure testing thing it'll probably perform really well. The Sub as I understand it has one or two more seals, thicker caseback, and thicker crystal.
esscaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 11:12 PM   #47
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esscaster View Post
back to OP, I've had both I think it's simply because the GMT is only air pressure tested (for the 100 rating) and the Sub goes through air and water pressure testing (to give it the higher depth rating).

dunk that GMT into a water pressure testing thing it'll probably perform really well. The Sub as I understand it has one or two more seals, thicker caseback, and thicker crystal.
The only difference between the sub and any of the 116710 range is the sub case back only.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 11:39 PM   #48
diverdoug
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The only difference between the sub and any of the 116710 range is the sub case back only.
Well there is the answer then. Do you know if the pm case backs are thicker?
Old 28 April 2017, 12:17 PM   #49
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

The other difference between the dive watches and the others with TripLock crown (Yachtmaster, Daytona, GMT) is the thickness of the rehaut. The rehaut is part of the case and is the ring inside the crystal that says Rolex around the inside with the watch's serial number engraved in it.

On the dive watches the rehaut is taller and thicker so there is more surface area for the crystal and retaining ring to rest upon under pressure. The difference between a dive watch and the others is very discernible on the Sea Dwellers.

The next time I have an opportunity, I'll post a pict showing the rehaut on my Exp II and SD4000.
Old 28 April 2017, 02:20 PM   #50
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Quote:
you're a champion diver 40 + years calling bs on me saying it's hard to go deeper than 50 feet? a double boarded in hyperbatic (sp?) medicine... even double up on it and say it was a thin, 80 year old woman to really drive your point home.

i get it but i think it's relative. you've developed superior abilities and have lost touch with how a beginner diver deals with pressure.

going beyond 40 feet is painful. forget i said 50. FORTY.

for you to say anything different is like the tenured college professor showing up at a jr high pop quiz and yelling at everyone for not knowing advanced trig.

google solves all mysteries.

still call bs?
I'm a new scuba diver. I went to 50 feet on my 3rd dive. Dive-master was keeping a close watch but I had no problems... & neither did the 5 other people with me who also had less than 10 dives under their belts. I'm 58 & the other divers ranged in age from 20 to 70. None of us felt overwhelmed with the pressure & we all made our decom & safety stops. No problems!
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 03:49 PM   #51
BlueAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
you're a champion diver 40 + years calling bs on me saying it's hard to go deeper than 50 feet? a double boarded in hyperbatic (sp?) medicine... even double up on it and say it was a thin, 80 year old woman to really drive your point home.

i get it but i think it's relative. you've developed superior abilities and have lost touch with how a beginner diver deals with pressure.

going beyond 40 feet is painful. forget i said 50. FORTY.

for you to say anything different is like the tenured college professor showing up at a jr high pop quiz and yelling at everyone for not knowing advanced trig.

google solves all mysteries.

still call bs?
Going beyond 40 ft is painful? This is not correct. I've been recreationally diving for 25 years and I've only had one painful dive - I was basically crippled at about 10 feet trying to get out of a grotto in a cave because I had a cold and couldn't equalize. Fifteen minutes bobbing in the water and blowing my nose and manually equalizing my ears and I was fine. They key is patience. The pressure starts building at 6 feet! Forty or 50 or whatever feet has nothing to do with it. If you can go 10 feet you can go 100 or more.
BlueAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 04:28 PM   #52
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
It seems while there are many experts in Rolex and dive watches, not all of them understand diving. Thankfully there are obviously some experienced divers here too.

The key requirement of a Rolex dive watch, is that you leave it in the hotel safe when you dive, and put your Suunto wrist dive computer or equivalent on.

The exception to this rule is when you what to take underwater pictures of your wrist wearing said watch for rolexforums. Then make sure the Suunto is on the wrist of the camera holding arm out of shot, so you look like an authentic Rolex diver.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 04:53 PM   #53
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonsmith View Post
The other difference between the dive watches and the others with TripLock crown (Yachtmaster, Daytona, GMT) is the thickness of the rehaut. The rehaut is part of the case and is the ring inside the crystal that says Rolex around the inside with the watch's serial number engraved in it.

On the dive watches the rehaut is taller and thicker so there is more surface area for the crystal and retaining ring to rest upon under pressure. The difference between a dive watch and the others is very discernible on the Sea Dwellers.

The next time I have an opportunity, I'll post a pict showing the rehaut on my Exp II and SD4000.
We were comparing Gmt and Sub, not SD nor Deepsea.

Both those watches have a thicker crystal, but their performance is a lot higher than 300m.

Here's a comparison picture, Deepsea - SubC - GmtC

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sans titre.jpg (44.6 KB, 126 views)
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 06:18 PM   #54
Benjo74
"TRF" Member

Reason for different depth rating GMT2 vs Sub

I'm an occasional recreational diver, pretty much only dive if there is an opportunity while on vacation. I am PADI open water certified (the basic qualification, not advanced) and I have dived to 20 metres a number of times with no problems. That's about 65 feet in American.

I have never dived with a sub but that's because I've only owned a sub for a few weeks. I have dived with my Tudor Black Bay to 18 meters (60 feet) with no problems, which is of course no surprise for a dive watch.

I have swam in my GMT IIc with no problems, again no surprise as I wouldn't expect problems.

As others have said, a dive watch is pretty much redundant anyway IMO as your dive computer does everything you need and much better.

The reason I wore by Black Bay when diving? Because I thought it would be cool.

Benjo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 06:22 PM   #55
Benjo74
"TRF" Member

Reason for different depth rating GMT2 vs Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagwap View Post
The exception to this rule is when you what to take underwater pictures of your wrist wearing said watch for rolexforums. Then make sure the Suunto is on the wrist of the camera holding arm out of shot, so you look like an authentic Rolex diver.

Exactly the case for me, as mentioned in my post above.

No shame in that, and I will most likely do the same wearing my sub next vacation. Like I said, As a watch nerd I think it's kind of cool, but it's unnecessary!

Benjo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 07:34 PM   #56
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo74 View Post
Exactly the case for me, as mentioned in my post above.

No shame in that, and I will most likely do the same wearing my sub next vacation. Like I said, As a watch nerd I think it's kind of cool, but it's unnecessary!

Me too. I don't dive as much as you, but I wish there was a full on dive computer that was like the Omega Skywalker. A proper wis watch with all the features I need under the waves. Suuntos are pretty good, but that would be great.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 11:36 PM   #57
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post
We were comparing Gmt and Sub, not SD nor Deepsea.

Both those watches have a thicker crystal, but their performance is a lot higher than 300m.

Here's a comparison picture, Deepsea - SubC - GmtC

Great images. Thank you. I am curious about the titanium ring that holds the crystal in place. Other than the DSSD, are there differences in the size of the titanium ring among the watch models? Also, do you have a similar image for the SD 4000?

Thank you again for posting.
Old 2 May 2017, 04:03 AM   #58
diverdoug
Banned

Just wanted to bump this to find out if anyone knows if the case backs are different thicknesses on the SS vs PM models?
Old 2 May 2017, 04:11 AM   #59
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Just wanted to bump this to find out if anyone knows if the case backs are different thicknesses on the SS vs PM models?
i dont know but maybe you have me on block because i answered your question within the first 11 minutes of you posting.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 04:17 AM   #60
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Quote:
i have been a diver for 43 years, commercial diver for 15 of those years, and a padi course director and have over 9,000 dives, i am also a physician double boarded in hyperbatic medicine and anesthesiology, so i feel qualified to call bs on your post. You really are making an inaccurate statement when you describe a recreational scuba dive greater than 50 feet as being difficult or necessitating a great deal of physical prowess. Most novice divers feel comfortable with dives below the 50 foot range, and those dives are not more physically demanding than shallower dives. One of my diving students was a very thin 80 year old female, who had no difficulties diving. Anyway.... In all seriousness, i was speaking about the current gmt2 which does have a triple lock
x2