The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 April 2017, 07:49 PM   #1
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Running the numbers, Explorer 114270 or new 214270?

Just got my 5513 back from a full service/overhaul. I am planning on saving it for special use and getting a second watch for everyday wear. The 114270 and 214270 both appeal to me. And both have plusses and minuses. The question is, everything else being equal, which purchase makes more sense.

I have tracked listings and 114270’s seem to be commanding higher prices. In my geographic area, the best I discount I can get an AD on a new 214270 is about 7%, which is roughly our local sales tax. So, I am trying to figure out which is the better value.

Please note that because of personal preference, I will either pay with PayPal for a long-distance purchase, or cash in a face to face.

I have searched recent sales from trusted sellers and gone to the websites some of them maintain. Using paypal, it looks like the price for a late model 114270 in excellent condition, with full box and papers and all links is about 4700 to 5000. However, I am cautious by nature and know that any used time piece may require service. If I factor one full service at my local watchmaker, this brings me up to 5400 to 5700.

If I pay cash, I can purchase a new 214270 from an AD for 6500. It will have a 5 year warranty.

So, the price difference is about 1000.

Opinions? I will check back later today or tonight with the hope of some sage advice.
Old 27 April 2017, 08:02 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Get an older 114270 or 14270 without box and papers, then take her to the RSC for the full works and service papers. You might come all in at under $4k if you buy right.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 08:08 PM   #3
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
I agree with Adam if your really looking for a daily beater why buy new get the best deal possible on an older watch get the service which leaves you with a warranty.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 08:33 PM   #4
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Since you have the cash I would contact either David SW or Tony Gia, Just Rolexes, or one of the other high volume Trusted Sellers here on TRF. You are not going to have an issue with any of these sellers. Contact them, get your best cash price and do a wire transfer. Save the PayPal fees and have your watch tomorrow. New with box and papers or slightly pre-owned with box and papers is the only way I would go.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 08:49 PM   #5
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
What's your preference as far as size and features?
36 vs 39mm, clasp, lume, weight etc..
I'm a fan of both. New 214270 if I were to add an Exp but I like the 114270 so much that I bought one for my father. Good luck!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 01:05 AM   #6
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Get an older 114270 or 14270 without box and papers, then take her to the RSC for the full works and service papers. You might come all in at under $4k if you buy right.
That would work except for three issues. One, I am pretty picky about the watch and insist on an excellent condition watch; two, there is room to disagree here, but my experience has been that it is much easier to trade a watch if you have box and papers. Three, for a vintage watch the service at rolex is going to be 800 plus crown and plus any other things they want to replace. Their original estimate without a new crystal for my 5513 in Feb was over 1100. Subject to additions for anything they find later. Obviously they do good work. But I am skeptical that you could find an excellent condition explorer even without papers and also get a full Rolex Service for under 4k. Again, room to disagree, just my thoughts.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:08 AM   #7
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
What's your preference as far as size and features?
36 vs 39mm, clasp, lume, weight etc..
I'm a fan of both. New 214270 if I were to add an Exp but I like the 114270 so much that I bought one for my father. Good luck!
Really on the fence on this one. They are both fine watches. The 114270 is a little small for me and the 214270 is a little large. Probably like the fact that the 114270 is closer to the original Explorer, but on the other hand, the blue lume on the 214270 I saw at the AD with a charge is awesome.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:12 AM   #8
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Since you have the cash I would contact either David SW or Tony Gia, Just Rolexes, or one of the other high volume Trusted Sellers here on TRF. You are not going to have an issue with any of these sellers. Contact them, get your best cash price and do a wire transfer. Save the PayPal fees and have your watch tomorrow. New with box and papers or slightly pre-owned with box and papers is the only way I would go.
Right, the paypal is just a preference. Different strokes for diff folks. But the cost of an excellent condition late model 114270 with box, papers and 13 links is still still going to be between 4500 and 5k from a trusted seller. And then I have to allow for a service. So I get close to 1k differ with a new 214270 with a 5 year warranty. That is a hard call for me.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:17 AM   #9
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
I agree with Adam if your really looking for a daily beater why buy new get the best deal possible on an older watch get the service which leaves you with a warranty.
Clarification here, daily wearer for me will not see abuse and must be in excellent condition (good lines, perfect hands and dial, very little polishing, little stretch to bracelet). When I wear it it is to the office or court or a meeting. If I am going to work on my farm, or do anything except go for a walk, the watch comes off and on goes a Casio. So it will be a daily wearer, but hopefully not a beater. Just my nature.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:18 AM   #10
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
And yes, one of the first places I went was DavidSW's site. Nice watches.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:20 AM   #11
manhattanproj
"TRF" Member

i say buy from an ad due to all the particularities. gives you the peace of mind that you are seeking.
manhattanproj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 01:22 AM   #12
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The new EXP is a total home run, IMO. That would be my choice.

Value-wise, who cares as long as you're happy with the watch you pick.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 01:22 AM   #13
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Clarification here, daily wearer for me will not see abuse and must be in excellent condition (good lines, perfect hands and dial, very little polishing, little stretch to bracelet). When I wear it it is to the office or court or a meeting. If I am going to work on my farm, or do anything except go for a walk, the watch comes off and on goes a Casio. So it will be a daily wearer, but hopefully not a beater. Just my nature.
Ahh ok well I would definitely buy new then

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 01:23 AM   #14
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanproj View Post
i say buy from an ad due to all the particularities. gives you the peace of mind that you are seeking.
Leaning that way, but the fact that I can't get more than a 7% discount given the world wide slump in swiss watch sales does not please me. But then again, it is a Rolex for a reason I guess. And you have to pay for peace of mind.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:26 AM   #15
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
Ahh ok well I would definitely buy new then

Love our JW quote. Similar to CE's "god's not on our side, cause he hates idiots" from the good, the bad and the ugly.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:27 AM   #16
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
The new EXP is a total home run, IMO. That would be my choice.

Value-wise, who cares as long as you're happy with the watch you pick.
It does wear well and the dial is awesome.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:33 AM   #17
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
If I was in your shoes, I would go with the newer 214270 with the lume only hour markers. It's not much of a premium for a new in box 2017 piece straight from AD, so IMO if you're already spending the money on a used piece, you might as well spend just a little more for a factory fresh piece.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 01:44 AM   #18
VinnieVegas
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 GMT Master II
A while back I was pondering the same decision. I went with the classic size and never regretted it. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

* Seiko SRP777 (2017)
VinnieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 01:53 AM   #19
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks
Old 28 April 2017, 03:05 AM   #20
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Running the numbers, Explorer 114270 or new 214270?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

I had 214270 and swap to 114270, like more the proportions of the smaller model; guess you need to decide what works best for you.

As said above you can have an used Explorer serviced bu Rolex (RSC) for about $600 and that would give you 2 years of warranty. Since you are open to used pieces, do do not pay retail on the 214270, you can do way better with our resellers here such as AUT_911T, Lawrence, Takuya, DavidSW, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 03:24 AM   #21
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I bought my 39mm Explorer when they first came out. Dealers still had the 36mm Explorers and the older models were less expensive then the newly released model.

At the time, almost six years ago, I was accustomed to 40mm Rolex sport models...the Submariner Date, the GMT Master II, and the Explorer II (a white dial 40mm).

So, the 36mm case on the discontinued Explorer seemed too small to me, especially for a watch still considered a sports model.

A couple of years later, I tried on a 36mm Oyster Perpetual with a silver dial and the "3-6-9" configuration. To my surprise, it didn't look too small. I saw it as more of a dress watch, and was therefore more tolerant of its smaller size. I bought that watch...

The more I wore that watch, the more time my eye had to adjust to its dimensions. I began to see that it was perfectly scaled for my wrist and hand, which are a bit thin and small. I realized then that the 36mm Explorer would have been a great fit, if I'd given it a chance...or, rather, given myself a chance to adjust to the size difference from what I was used to.

I've been happy with the 39mm watch. It's a great watch and if you choose it, it will not disappoint. It is not too big for me and it's a great all around, daily wear kind of watch. However, if I knew then what I know now, and could turn back the clock, I'd have bought the 36mm model.

If I was in the market for an Explorer today, however, I would still buy the 39mm. I've always bought my watches new, and like that the watch's history begins with me. The warranty is also a benefit of this approach. I always use an AD. So, no deals, but no worries, either.

If an AD had an new, old stock 36mm Explorer, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

In your shoes, given my approach, I'd go with the new model.

However, if you are comfortable buying a previously owned model through a reputable dealer, as you seem to be, go for it.

Either way, you won't be disappointed. Either model will fill the bill...
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 03:33 AM   #22
key
"TRF" Member

If you are worried about the servicing history and the condition of the watch, I think you'll be safer purchasing a used 214270 from one of the trusted sellers here.

Like you, I have also had my share of concerns wire transferring money over to a trusted seller here, but having dealt with some of them in the past couple of years, I am no longer worried about purchasing from trusted sellers here via wire transfer.
key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 03:46 AM   #23
Jimmygood
"TRF" Member

I chose the 36mm 14270 over it's bigger brother. For me the dial just looks so much better in those proportions. A benefit of 36mm imo is that it is more comfortable to wear for a daily wearer. My 14270 feels light and well behaved on my wrist. Less clunking on things with the smaller watch.

Have you thought enough about the size question? They are quite different watches imo because of this. That would be my deciding factor.
Jimmygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 04:01 AM   #24
nathaniel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Have you considered the Tudor BB36?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

116710LN
116610LV
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 04:17 AM   #25
Rich M
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King+Explorer1
heavy or light explorer

The weight was ultimately the decision maker for me. Took along time to try both on but the 114270 worked better for me but IMO must surely be considered a key consideration.
Rich M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 04:37 AM   #26
rph08
"TRF" Member

OP, I faced this same decision a few weeks ago. I ultimately decided to go with a 114270 for several reasons. Basically, it boils down to the fact I just like the way the 36mm Explorer looks vs its larger replacement. Sure the 114270 looks smaller sitting next to my 40mm watches, but it's perfect on my 7.5 inch wrist. I don't think you can go wrong either way!

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 04:45 AM   #27
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
I have a 6.5" wrist and think the 1/14270 is the perfect size. Great proportions and more true to the original. My 2 cents.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 05:25 AM   #28
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
I have a 6.5" wrist and think the 1/14270 is the perfect size. Great proportions and more true to the original. My 2 cents.
Make that 4 cents.

After owning the 1016 I realize how nice 36mm looks on my wrist....and I am looking to add the right 1/14270 as well. Similar wrist size around 6.5-6.7".
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 05:29 AM   #29
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Make that 4 cents

Made that 8 cents

This should help you making the 114270....... sorry meant to say right decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 07:21 AM   #30
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
Have you considered the Tudor BB36?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Yes, I liked it a lot but it was a little small for me.