The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 April 2017, 12:41 AM   #1
thewolfofmiddlesex
"TRF" Member

1st world problems, SS SkyD and SS DaytonaC

So the backdrop. I have a black SS SubC and a blue ceramic omega Seamaster.
When they released the Daytona ceramic, i fell in love with it but couldn't see myself parting with the best part of £10k. The more photos I saw and the more I read, I decided I'm gonna go for one. So i got onto as many lists as I could in December (2016). But now they've released the SS SkyDweller and I love that too. I can't get both. Forgive me, I'm thinking out aloud as I type hoping I come to some sort of decision. Can any of you guys offer opinions?. I love the SkyD with it's Cyclops's, fluted bezel, date function and sheer wrist presence. BUT I really like the DaytonaC, the clean look, it's heritage and iconic status. Not as showy and less features but it's a Daytona. Period.
So I've got my name down on a few lists for the SkyD too. I've got a feeling the SkyD call from the AD will come MUCH sooner than the Daytona. Given my existing watches, what would you guys do? SkyD (much sooner) or Daytona? Any thoughts on how well the value of the SkyDweller will hold up Vs the Daytona? And a third factor to throw in the mix, which colour SkyDweller? I like them all, initially the blue edged it, but I'm liking the white now, especially after i saw the real life (not official) photos of the white that a member posted a few days ago (he also loved the white).
thewolfofmiddlesex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 12:44 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome Neil.

I'd keep on the list for both
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 12:46 AM   #3
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Just go with the one you get the call first.

Value wise, very few watches are going to do better than the Daytona, but if you find the watch you like, what does it matter?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 12:50 AM   #4
thewolfofmiddlesex
"TRF" Member

I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm certain it'll be for the skyD. Can i go wrong with a colour? I'm really undecided as far as the sky D goes. Daytona wise I'm happy with either black or white. I'm thinking white for skyD as i already have a blue omega Seamaster and a black subC. But i like the blue/black skyDs too. White seems to be the least popular on a poll someone did here recently. Any disadvantages with going white?
Old 28 April 2017, 12:59 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I personally like the black sunburst dial. I think it has depth and is quite unique.

Ideally it would be nice to see them before deciding but I understand that may not be an option.

I learned long ago, that seeing them in person can make a huge difference.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 01:03 AM   #6
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
While I like the blue, personally, I can see the logic of the black, as Brian points out above. Especially if you already have a blue dial in the collection.

White...not crazy about it on the SKD, but would have to see it in person to know for sure.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 01:07 AM   #7
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post

Value wise, very few watches are going to do better than the Daytona, but if you find the watch you like, what does it matter?
Yeah, sounds like you'll be happy with either. Roll the dice and see who calls first
Old 28 April 2017, 01:07 AM   #8
thewolfofmiddlesex
"TRF" Member

I think it'll come down to that. Seeing in person. If/when i get the call, I'll goto see it. They probably won't have all colours for me to see in person, but if I like the one that's there I guess I'll go for it.
Old 28 April 2017, 01:07 AM   #9
jok
"TRF" Member

First of all, get what you love. When the hype/newness dies down, what do you think would be the best fit for you long term? As far as dial color on the sky-d, I prefer the blue from the pictures; that could change in person, but I doubt it. Good luck with whatever you decide. They are both excellent choices.
jok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 01:16 AM   #10
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
It is just me but I don't care for the SKy's. My least favorite Rolex purely on aesthetics. But most people love it. Pick the watch you love, not just the first one available. IMO.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 01:32 AM   #11
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
as others have said whichever comes first get.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 03:48 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome Neil.

I'd keep on the list for both
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post

I'd go with the guys, probably the SkyD will emerge first, if the SD43 is anything to go by, and in UK it will hold value for a few months at least so an easy trade into a D500 should you want to when it appears.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 04:13 AM   #13
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
The Daytona phenomena is just amazing to me. Here is a watch with a stop clock (which I would hardly ever use). It has become the most popular Rolex of all times for collectors. With a ceramic bezel it is suddenly made out of unobtainium.

On the other hand there is the Sky D in SS. This is a watch which until Basel most felt was well beyond their means (when made only in PM). It is a bit large (42mm by most of the world is still pretty small). It has functions that many use frequently. Because of the annual calendar it requires little messing with for date adjustment through the year. Having a GMT complication is gravy.

I know that few choices on the forum are made from a viewpoint of watch function. Most are made from a perspective of collectability and either loss or gain of value. As other's have said, the D500 is the more collectable. For me the SkyD's functionality trump that but I'm more practical than most of the collectors here. I'm thrilled to be able to get a SkyD.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 05:30 AM   #14
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
The Daytona phenomena is just amazing to me. Here is a watch with a stop clock (which I would hardly ever use). It has become the most popular Rolex of all times for collectors. With a ceramic bezel it is suddenly made out of unobtainium.
I don't think this is news......it happened to the stainless 116520s prior also for years when it was first introduced and the same games were played.

On that note, I do think the OP should just buy whichever comes first because it sounds like he/she loves both.....that'd be my approach. Since that's the case, I wouldn't think resale value matters much but since the OP asks....I clearly think the Daytona will hold and appreciate far better than the Sky Dweller....opinions vary on usefulness of the complication between the 2 but clearly the Daytona has a far longer/stronger heritage in Rolex's line than the newly introduced Sky Dwellers.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 06:03 AM   #15
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
6th & 7th May, get yourself down to WoS 153 Regent Street. They will be showing the new collection of Rolexs.
You can resolve the blue, black or white issue then.
Personally I think the blue's amazing, due to the way it's royal blue one minute then mid blue the next! Black is a close second. Wish the white was more ivory like the AG.
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 07:14 AM   #16
thewolfofmiddlesex
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for your valued opinions! SamP ... Can I just turn up or is it an invite only event at WoS?
Old 28 April 2017, 08:17 AM   #17
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I don't think this is news..

clearly the Daytona has a far longer/stronger heritage in Rolex's line than the newly introduced Sky Dwellers.
So the game playing and length in the Rolex line-up should enter in to the equation. Just seems a strange game we play.

Old 28 April 2017, 08:59 AM   #18
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
So the game playing and length in the Rolex line-up should enter in to the equation. Just seems a strange game we play.
It is....and for some mythical reason they chose the Daytona to play this game and all of us "play" lol. The good news is I think the stainless Sky Dwellers and the new Sea Dweller won't be subjected to this but hey.....Rolex could always surprise us all.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 09:16 AM   #19
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Hi Wolf.
If it's invite only, speak to Sophie. Say the man with macroons sent me.
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 11:25 AM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfofmiddlesex View Post
Thanks all for your valued opinions! SamP ... Can I just turn up or is it an invite only event at WoS?
Should be fine just to go, I went to one there last year, and Rolex boutique on Bond st are on 2-4th May.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 01:26 PM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'd go with the guys, probably the SkyD will emerge first, if the SD43 is anything to go by, and in UK it will hold value for a few months at least so an easy trade into a D500 should you want to when it appears.
Funny the SD43 is already being delivered.

Old 28 April 2017, 06:40 PM   #22
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
You need to try on the sky dweller it's a big watch..
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 08:10 PM   #23
thewolfofmiddlesex
"TRF" Member

You're right, it is. I did try a PM version last week and although very big, I loved it.
Old 28 April 2017, 08:34 PM   #24
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Although I feel Rolex hit a homerun with the ceramic Daytona I would take the SS SkyD all day long for me it would be the blue willing to bet your 1st call will be the SkyD and you won't regret taking it

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 08:57 PM   #25
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think you are looking at two very different watches. The value is almost always going to hold better with a Daytona but I prefer the Sky-Dweller. The Daytona, for me, is too small, too over hyped and Rolex has done a typical and horrible job of getting the watch to market. Playing games. I own two PM Sky-Dwellers and for me they are hands down my preference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170328_105954.jpg (85.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6680.jpg (61.6 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 20170328_105456.jpg (54.6 KB, 123 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 09:01 PM   #26
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
I would keep waiting for both. I can't help but feel that once the first call comes in for which ever watch you will either be delighted or slightly disappointing. Then you will know which one you really want.

Of the Skyd's though my personal preference is the black sunburst dial by far!!
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 09:32 PM   #27
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
It is just me but I don't care for the SKy's. My least favorite Rolex purely on aesthetics. But most people love it. Pick the watch you love, not just the first one available. IMO.
I agree however I would take the Daytona
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote