The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 April 2017, 03:52 AM   #31
Goin2drt
Banned

I have really pondered this. One son I'd turning 21 and the other 16.

When do I give them a watch if I do at all.

Certainly when I die that is a no brainer they will get them and I will split them up.

Before that is my dilemma. Do I give them a special one at a special time (wedding etc) or do they just inherit them. They do not have the same passion I do so would this give them the passion to get a nice watch from pops.

I have two subs so I was thinking those would be the ones going to them. I thought about 21 so next month for my oldest but then I look at him and I am not sure he could handle a $6k watch. I think it would end up lost or stolen while he is in college. So then do I wait for the wedding day.

I don't have any answers but look forward to subbing to this thread and read what others are doing.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 04:02 AM   #32
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
No kids so my watches and everything else goes to my Nephew who is 19. This really pisses off my brother (his father) LOL.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 05:06 AM   #33
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
I have really pondered this. One son I'd turning 21 and the other 16.

When do I give them a watch if I do at all.

Certainly when I die that is a no brainer they will get them and I will split them up.

Before that is my dilemma. Do I give them a special one at a special time (wedding etc) or do they just inherit them. They do not have the same passion I do so would this give them the passion to get a nice watch from pops.

I have two subs so I was thinking those would be the ones going to them. I thought about 21 so next month for my oldest but then I look at him and I am not sure he could handle a $6k watch. I think it would end up lost or stolen while he is in college. So then do I wait for the wedding day.

I don't have any answers but look forward to subbing to this thread and read what others are doing.
Make sure he can handle it and is responsible. I gave my brother a Tag Link when he graduated and it was lost/stolen within a month. Lesson learned and my kids will get watches when I think they are ready. That being said I don't think my wife is ready by the way she treats hers.
singe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 09:14 AM   #34
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I don't have kids, but my God son will get mine on certain conditions. if it turns out he really isn't into watches, I'll sell them and use the money to snort enough Coke off a stripper's bum to kill a horse....or Charlie Sheen....probably both.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 09:17 AM   #35
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I don't have kids, but my God son will get mine on certain conditions. if it turns out he really isn't into watches, I'll sell them and use the money to snort enough Coke off a stripper's bum to kill a horse....or Charlie Sheen....probably both.
You planning on spending a lot of time in downtown Vegas?
Old 29 April 2017, 10:14 AM   #36
tmw84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Hello Sir !
I gave similar answers to a thread posted on the Omega forum a year ago and I'm the oddball out so forgive me if my answers come across as rather harsh and rude...

I belong to an Asian middle class family so my thoughts and opinions expressed are entirely mine alone. I have an absolutely different mindset which many readers would find shocking...

Answers :
1. OVER MY DEAD BODY my kids are getting my watches !!!
To my Kids . Pay for your own bloody watches ! I dont really care which brand. So long as it tells the time !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You're not harsh or rude, just taking a different perspective appreciating watches as status symbols rather than heir horological excellence...

Nothing wrong with that, and perfectly understandable in the Asian culture where "face" and status are important
tmw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 10:19 AM   #37
tmw84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToSeeHere View Post
Probably not until I die. I'm a firm believer that it's extremely poor taste to give a high school or college student something like a Rolex. I could see a wedding gift maybe. I'll never understand parents who give their young kids things that they would enjoy so much more if they were required to earn them. Being good and getting good grades Is not earning a watch IMO.

I'd much prefer to buy my son a fresh watch at a milestone in his life.

I agree... college is really too early, unless he has demonstrated significant interest and understanding of watches, calibres, and their historical significance.

If it's just a gift for him to show off to his friends then I'd much rather he earn his keep and let him spend it in whichever way he wants...
Old 29 April 2017, 10:23 AM   #38
tmw84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
Your watches may not end up where you think they will after your gone.

That was exactly what I was wondering... would you still gift it to your kid knowing he wasn't interested or that he would just sell it for extra cash?
Old 29 April 2017, 10:23 AM   #39
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sounds like a plan.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 10:25 AM   #40
tmw84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triethylborane View Post
My 8 yr old daughter will get my watches. It doesn't make much sense to liquidate an asset I have enjoyed during my lifetime because I don't want my kid to have a windfall of some sort from it. She can do what she wants with the watches.

If she liquidates your watches won't she end up with the windfall nonetheless?
Old 29 April 2017, 11:50 AM   #41
rph08
"TRF" Member

I don't think we're going to buy our children a Rolex for their wedding gift, or for their high school and college graduations, etc. They need to learn the value of a dollar, and what it feels like to set and accomplish financial goals. I think my Wife and I would have a more difficult time teaching our children those lessons if we just give them the things that they really should work for and earn themselves. Now many, many years down the road when I'm dead and gone, then eventually my children will end up with my watches along with whatever else is left. I would like for them to feel free to do with them as they see fit, because I will obviously have no further use for fine mechanical time pieces!

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 01:00 PM   #42
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by returntorolex View Post
You planning on spending a lot of time in downtown Vegas?
Hell no!!! That place was a little too sketchy. It's only uppity prostitutes for me.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 02:10 PM   #43
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Sounds like one hell of a plan to me.
Old 29 April 2017, 03:02 PM   #44
triethylborane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw84 View Post
If she liquidates your watches won't she end up with the windfall nonetheless?
I was inarticulate there with the double negative. I want her to have the windfall, which is different from a user in this thread who passionately stated they did not want to pass on the watches.

The idea of not passing on the watches to her is what I don't get, i.e. it does not make sense to me to liquidate them before my death and spend the proceeds. I would much rather have her get something out of it than preventing that from occurring.
triethylborane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 03:15 PM   #45
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
My 16 year old daughter was gifted my mid 1990s TAG Heuer S/el when I got my Rolex. Her accomplishments in high school (she is a high school junior and is taking a host of early college courses), volunteer work for a year at a wildlife rescue center and the fact she loves watches helped me make my decision.

I joked on the forum a week or so ago about getting her a Rolex for her high school graduation next year (perhaps an entry level stainless watch) and she very directly told me while she is okay with the TAG, a Rolex would be too much responsibility for her at this time. She suggested, with a smile, that her college graduation would be a better time.

I can't argue with the logic. She's quite a smart young woman.
august1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 05:30 PM   #46
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by august1410 View Post
My 16 year old daughter was gifted my mid 1990s TAG Heuer S/el when I got my Rolex. Her accomplishments in high school (she is a high school junior and is taking a host of early college courses), volunteer work for a year at a wildlife rescue center and the fact she loves watches helped me make my decision.

I joked on the forum a week or so ago about getting her a Rolex for her high school graduation next year (perhaps an entry level stainless watch) and she very directly told me while she is okay with the TAG, a Rolex would be too much responsibility for her at this time. She suggested, with a smile, that her college graduation would be a better time.

I can't argue with the logic. She's quite a smart young woman.
Oh she's good.

I suppose at leasr you're off the hook for a pinkie ring as you're already wrapped round her little finger... As it should be

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 10:38 PM   #47
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Watches and kids

I bought my son a classic 36mm DJ when he was born (so a birth year watch).

I intend to give it to him for his 21 birthday along with this picture.

If I have any more children I'll do the same.

Any other watches in my collection will go to them when I die.

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 08:24 AM   #48
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
A great tradition

My apologies for a long story, but I think it’s relevant in answering the question…..

For as long as I can remember, my father was into watches. While he couldn’t afford a Rolex, he always reinforced the notion that if you’re going to buy something, buy the highest quality that you can afford. Some of my earliest memories include my Father carrying me around while I played with the bezel on his Seiko Diver. I loved that watch and when it stopped keeping time and the rubber on the strap became brittle my father bought a new one (same watch). He put the broken one in his desk and when I was about 8 I asked my father if I could have it. He agreed, but asked why I would want a broken watch and offered to take me out and get my own. I couldn’t pass on the opportunity to buy my own watch, so we went to the local department store and I picked out a yellow digital sport watch. I also convinced my father to buy an aftermarket rubber strap for the Seiko. It’s funny because I can’t remember ever wearing that digital watch, but I sure did wear that broken Seiko…..everywhere.

Like today, it was never about the time. That Seiko was WAAAY too big for me and it didn’t even work, but it was my Dads (and it was cool). I wore it to school, to church and out in the woods near my house. My friends and I would go out and build forts, pretending to be explorers or warriors out in the great wilderness. At times that Seiko was our compass, others times we would “synchronize” our watches, spinning the bezel to the exact hour that we would “invade” our enemies fort.

My father never gifted me any other watches at a young age, always stressing that if I wanted something, I had to earn it. I bought my first Timex Ironman a few years later (the highest quality that I, as a 10-year-old, could afford). I flipped many watches as a youngster, mainly Seiko, Citizens or Fossil’s, again only what I could afford. When I got my first real job in college, I saved up for and bought my first “real” watch, an Omega Seamaster 300. My Father was proud. Over the years my Father and I bonded over a love of watches and we always bought one when we went on vacation. We would spend hours searching for and negotiating prices on the perfect one.

I remember those times fondly. While my father is no longer here today, I do think he would be proud (and probably a bit jealous) of how my collection has evolved. When I purchased my first Rolex I thought of him and that Seiko Diver and even though my wife thought I was crazy, I knew my Father was smiling down on me. While I continue to flip watches, there are a few of my Fathers that will remain in my collection forever. My most prized watch is not my Explorer II or BLNR, it’s that Seiko Diver that doesn’t even run and today the time it displays is the day and time when he passed on.

So while this is probably a much longer answer to your question that was necessary, I do think that you should definitely pass on your watches to your children, but more importantly teach them the value, pride of ownership and the importance of earning something valuable that will last a lifetime. I will definitely be sharing this passion with my children and if I have a son, will give him the watch I was wearing when he’s born (still TBD and a great excuse to buy another Rolex

I will also be passing along my Fathers (his grandfathers) watches to him, along with my own, but more importantly....the stories that go with them.

littleme.jpg
530ExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 08:27 AM   #49
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
A great tradition

Editing a duplicate post.

TLDR - Yes pass along your watches to your kids, but don't give them an expensive watch until they're ready (they respect it and have shown willingness to go out and earn something on their own).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg littleme.jpg (119.2 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by 530ExplorerII; 1 May 2017 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Duplicate Post
530ExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 09:49 AM   #50
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
I've got plenty of time to figure it out. My wife is only 9 weeks along with #1
Big congrats to you both Clark
Old 1 May 2017, 09:56 AM   #51
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

We've got some hostile people around here!!!! Not give your personal belongings to your kids???!!! Why not?? Either you're selfish ( hint, you can't take it with you), or you've raised an irresponsible crack head. I inherited two watches from my Dad. A gold Hamilton from the 40's, and a Benrus wristalarm from the 50's. They're on the never sell list. Why wouldn't you want your kids to have something special??? If they are a problem, you can always keep them in a trust with the stipulation that they meet certain qualifications before they inherit items with substantial value. If the kids are rotten druggies, irresponsible, or lazy, you can stipulate in your will what they need to accomplish before they inherit your fortune. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.....
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 09:56 AM   #52
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

We've got some hostile people around here!!!! Not give your personal belongings to your kids???!!! Why not?? Either you're selfish ( hint, you can't take it with you), or you've raised an irresponsible crack head. I inherited two watches from my Dad. A gold Hamilton from the 40's, and a Benrus wristalarm from the 50's. They're on the never sell list. Why wouldn't you want your kids to have something special??? If they are a problem, you can always keep them in a trust with the stipulation that they meet certain qualifications before they inherit items with substantial value. If the kids are rotten druggies, irresponsible, or lazy, you can stipulate in your will what they need to accomplish before they inherit your fortune. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.....
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 10:50 AM   #53
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Big congrats to you both Clark
Thanks! We're super pumped! Announcement coming on IG soon
Truck looks great
Old 1 May 2017, 11:44 AM   #54
Dyim
"TRF" Member

They can get one of my old ones when they are done university.

Having said that, I do have unworn safe queens with stickers on with their name on the warranty.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 08:48 PM   #55
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Thanks! We're super pumped! Announcement coming on IG soon
Truck looks great
Thank you
Old 1 May 2017, 08:53 PM   #56
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
I bought a Datejust for my son of his birthyear... he will get it when he finishes uni.... till then im wearing it lol!
I did the same a few years back , he only gets it if he's a good kid though, so far so good
Old 1 May 2017, 10:26 PM   #57
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
I did the same a few years back , he only gets it if he's a good kid though, so far so good

Great minds think alike.

The DJ does seem a good choice for the birth year watch. Timeless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 05:57 AM   #58
tmw84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ExplorerII View Post
My apologies for a long story, but I think it’s relevant in answering the question…..

For as long as I can remember, my father was into watches. While he couldn’t afford a Rolex, he always reinforced the notion that if you’re going to buy something, buy the highest quality that you can afford. Some of my earliest memories include my Father carrying me around while I played with the bezel on his Seiko Diver. I loved that watch and when it stopped keeping time and the rubber on the strap became brittle my father bought a new one (same watch). He put the broken one in his desk and when I was about 8 I asked my father if I could have it. He agreed, but asked why I would want a broken watch and offered to take me out and get my own. I couldn’t pass on the opportunity to buy my own watch, so we went to the local department store and I picked out a yellow digital sport watch. I also convinced my father to buy an aftermarket rubber strap for the Seiko. It’s funny because I can’t remember ever wearing that digital watch, but I sure did wear that broken Seiko…..everywhere.

Like today, it was never about the time. That Seiko was WAAAY too big for me and it didn’t even work, but it was my Dads (and it was cool). I wore it to school, to church and out in the woods near my house. My friends and I would go out and build forts, pretending to be explorers or warriors out in the great wilderness. At times that Seiko was our compass, others times we would “synchronize” our watches, spinning the bezel to the exact hour that we would “invade” our enemies fort.

My father never gifted me any other watches at a young age, always stressing that if I wanted something, I had to earn it. I bought my first Timex Ironman a few years later (the highest quality that I, as a 10-year-old, could afford). I flipped many watches as a youngster, mainly Seiko, Citizens or Fossil’s, again only what I could afford. When I got my first real job in college, I saved up for and bought my first “real” watch, an Omega Seamaster 300. My Father was proud. Over the years my Father and I bonded over a love of watches and we always bought one when we went on vacation. We would spend hours searching for and negotiating prices on the perfect one.

I remember those times fondly. While my father is no longer here today, I do think he would be proud (and probably a bit jealous) of how my collection has evolved. When I purchased my first Rolex I thought of him and that Seiko Diver and even though my wife thought I was crazy, I knew my Father was smiling down on me. While I continue to flip watches, there are a few of my Fathers that will remain in my collection forever. My most prized watch is not my Explorer II or BLNR, it’s that Seiko Diver that doesn’t even run and today the time it displays is the day and time when he passed on.

So while this is probably a much longer answer to your question that was necessary, I do think that you should definitely pass on your watches to your children, but more importantly teach them the value, pride of ownership and the importance of earning something valuable that will last a lifetime. I will definitely be sharing this passion with my children and if I have a son, will give him the watch I was wearing when he’s born (still TBD and a great excuse to buy another Rolex

I will also be passing along my Fathers (his grandfathers) watches to him, along with my own, but more importantly....the stories that go with them.

Attachment 855009

Beautiful story - no story is too long to be shared. Certainly, with a good upbringing gifting an expensive watch wouldn't be an issue.