The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Sky-Dweller or Day-Date?
Sky-Dweller 165 33.00%
Day-Date 258 51.60%
I buy them both just to be sure 77 15.40%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 April 2017, 07:00 AM   #31
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
I've been wearing a yellow gold DayDate for over 40 years. It would be the last watch I'd sell. Extremely beautiful and ever classic Rolex. It's held up well. It looks good and keeps excellent time.
That is impressive. That's a first class recommendation. How many times have you serviced it?
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 07:42 AM   #32
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Hi Mahefa.
Are you aware that you can get older DD's for a quarter of the price you mentioned. They look very similar to the new 6 digit models except are more refined and less chunky. Why not get an old DD and a new SKy-D?
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 07:54 AM   #33
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Good decision. IMO, the DD is the choice for a serious, "only" watch and the SD is good as a fun alternative in a collection.
hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 10:43 AM   #34
tmw84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
I've been wearing a yellow gold DayDate for over 40 years. It would be the last watch I'd sell. Extremely beautiful and ever classic Rolex. It's held up well. It looks good and keeps excellent time.

If there's one watch that I would wear for 40 years it's the YG DD. Timeless and refined, with the necessary gravitas and panache.
tmw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 11:24 AM   #35
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
DD is the way to go. Looks great with anything.

Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 11:35 AM   #36
Benjamin Choi
"TRF" Member

Sky-Dweller or Day-Date?

New day date all day. Don't like the old ones.

I love the sky dweller as well but the bracelet is pedestrian. president is iconic. Titans of industry wear them. Game over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Benjamin Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 12:10 PM   #37
Castiel
"TRF" Member

Day date for me as well. Classic timepiece. The only question is: 36 or 40.
Castiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 12:14 PM   #38
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
It depends on which day-date. The DD40 or DDII are closer in size to the SkyD.

The SkyD is an impressive watch, both in complexity and size. But I've never liked the 24h dial arrangement.

If 36mm DD, the white gold white dial roman for me. If DD40 the white gold green dial roman.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 01:03 PM   #39
AboutTime
"TRF" Member

I would choose the DD for sure ... but I'm biased against watches larger than 40 mm because of my small wrist size.
AboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 02:30 PM   #40
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Day Date for me!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 02:52 PM   #41
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Platinum DD
Or
SS sky dweller
Old 29 April 2017, 04:15 PM   #42
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamP View Post
Hi Mahefa.
Are you aware that you can get older DD's for a quarter of the price you mentioned. They look very similar to the new 6 digit models except are more refined and less chunky. Why not get an old DD and a new SKy-D?
Regards
Thank you for your comment. Yes i know that there are options in the market, althought my knowledge is of course not even near the level of more experienced members.

But i am quite feeling oriented with this newly started Rolex hobby. What i mean is that i should know the history of the watch quite precisely and proven, before i could buy vintage or second hand. I am interested of the whole story that the watch has. If i would have possibility to buy a watch which some gentleman has kept in his wrist for 40 years, i would consider myself more than honored.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
Old 29 April 2017, 04:23 PM   #43
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Platinum DD
Or
SS sky dweller
That is exactly how i would like, Platinum DD and Blue Sky-Dweller. But all this experienced knowledge in this forum gives new thoughts, and makes me think that no other dresswatch or even no other watch is needed, when you have DD.

What do you think, what would be a sufficient reason to buy a Day-Date? I feel that its a watch i cant buy just because funds are available. Of course i can backdate and consider it as an trophy i "promised" then But i think discipline and bonussystems, even done by myself to myself, are needed :)
Old 29 April 2017, 04:27 PM   #44
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Albeit i have not had a Skydweller ive had just about everything else that Rolex has to offer so to speak and my DD is the only one i wont flip... even though mine is 27 years old it is still as beautiful now as any other Rolex, i think the styling is timeless..... It fits any occasion (unlike my YMII) and always ends up being my "goto" watch if im going out or travelling..... if you look at my sig below ive got a few watches(thats not all either) and all of them can go if i had to part with them for whatever reason with no remorse except my DD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dd2.jpg (95.4 KB, 312 views)
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 04:38 PM   #45
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
Albeit i have not had a Skydweller ive had just about everything else that Rolex has to offer so to speak and my DD is the only one i wont flip... even though mine is 27 years old it is still as beautiful now as any other Rolex, i think the styling is timeless..... It fits any occasion (unlike my YMII) and always ends up being my "goto" watch if im going out or travelling..... if you look at my sig below ive got a few watches(thats not all either) and all of them can go if i had to part with them for whatever reason with no remorse except my DD.
Imteresting thoughts and history. One big bonus of this forum is, that here are many people who have gone thru a 'Rolex career'. It is very useful for example to myself, who would like to avoid many flips and find the right collection with good steps. I have gone thru kind of a career with cars and i have found my way with that hobby. Have you engraved your DD or any other watch?
Old 29 April 2017, 05:41 PM   #46
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post
Imteresting thoughts and history. One big bonus of this forum is, that here are many people who have gone thru a 'Rolex career'. It is very useful for example to myself, who would like to avoid many flips and find the right collection with good steps. I have gone thru kind of a career with cars and i have found my way with that hobby. Have you engraved your DD or any other watch?
Ive never altered any of my watches as i like them original... in saying that i wouldnt hesitate to engrave the back of my DD if i had the desire.... the only thing id part with my DD for is a newer DD.... that's about it
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 06:10 PM   #47
indy16zo6
"TRF" Member

Sky dweller. Stunning watch in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
indy16zo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 08:20 PM   #48
regnant
"TRF" Member

Sky Dweller
Old 29 April 2017, 08:27 PM   #49
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Day date will always hold a special place in collection. It is a timeless design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 April 2017, 08:46 PM   #50
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If only one, the DD would be my choice. If you can afford to do both then obviously that's the answer
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 08:47 PM   #51
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Both work great in a collection but Day Date first then Sky Dweller!
Old 29 April 2017, 09:11 PM   #52
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I voted for the Sky-Dweller as I just traded two DD II's for the SD. I really like the appearance of the DD in 36, 40 and 41 mm. A true classic. With that said the reason I moved away from the DD is the lack of adjustability for the bracelet which results in not perfect wear at certain times of the year. The only way to change the bracelet is to add or take away links and after some serious wrist time with the Glide Lock on the Submariners and the Easy Link System on the DJ II and Daytona it was a deal breaker for me. I will not have a watch that does not fit right all the time with easy modifications based on weather. As a younger collector I would just be happy that I owned the watch and would do the best that I could. No longer and for the money it cost to own a modern PM Rolex it is going to be right. I have owned the two SD for a month or so and they get a decent amount of wrist time and I can tell you that they wear much larger than my DD II's. I like the looks of the SD and I have never seen one on anyone's wrist. Will the SD stay in the collection. Who knows, but for now they are great. Between the DD and the SS SD I would wait till the SD hits the AD's and go have a look. If it works, then decide. If it does not work, you know and move on. I would also look at the YG ceramic Sub. The sunburst dial is amazing and the black dial is strong. And you can adjust the bracelet on the fly. Just my thoughts. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170328_105836.jpg (72.7 KB, 295 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 09:23 PM   #53
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I have an 1803 DD and I'm waiting for a SS Blue SkyD. Let me just say that if you consider an older DD make sure you either keep it on the wrist or have a winder because it is truly work to set. I can't attest to the newer DDs but that is part of the expense of the older ones. I also can't really talk to the SkyDs but hopefully I'll be able to answer that part of the question before too long.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 09:40 PM   #54
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
If only one of those 2 DD for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 08:04 AM   #55
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I voted for the Sky-Dweller as I just traded two DD II's for the SD. I really like the appearance of the DD in 36, 40 and 41 mm. A true classic. With that said the reason I moved away from the DD is the lack of adjustability for the bracelet which results in not perfect wear at certain times of the year. The only way to change the bracelet is to add or take away links and after some serious wrist time with the Glide Lock on the Submariners and the Easy Link System on the DJ II and Daytona it was a deal breaker for me. I will not have a watch that does not fit right all the time with easy modifications based on weather. As a younger collector I would just be happy that I owned the watch and would do the best that I could. No longer and for the money it cost to own a modern PM Rolex it is going to be right. I have owned the two SD for a month or so and they get a decent amount of wrist time and I can tell you that they wear much larger than my DD II's. I like the looks of the SD and I have never seen one on anyone's wrist. Will the SD stay in the collection. Who knows, but for now they are great. Between the DD and the SS SD I would wait till the SD hits the AD's and go have a look. If it works, then decide. If it does not work, you know and move on. I would also look at the YG ceramic Sub. The sunburst dial is amazing and the black dial is strong. And you can adjust the bracelet on the fly. Just my thoughts. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your choice.
I wonder might the SS Sky-Dweller be awkward to wear as there is no PM bracelet, but heavy case. Or it's in balance as case is heavier in PM as well. That is interesting that there is no adjustability with DD President bracelet.

Althought many might keep their well balanced watches a bit loose, so there is no actual need for adjustability. But for example my Deepsea has to be well fitted, so multiple adjustment options are really useful.

I am waiting blue Sky-Dweller. Maybe i use it as dresswatch until i have an actual and bright reason to reward myself with DD.

Today i thought that platinum Sky-Dweller with that ice blue dial would be so corgeous that i don't know what to say.
Old 1 May 2017, 08:55 AM   #56
jsg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
DD gets my vote.
jsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 08:59 AM   #57
Volt55
"TRF" Member

Skydweller gets my vote at this time. The bracelet options on the new datejust 41 allow you to get a similar look at a fraction of the cost.
Volt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 11:13 AM   #58
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post

Today i thought that platinum Sky-Dweller with that ice blue dial would be so corgeous that i don't know what to say.
So much so you are making up new words.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 11:17 AM   #59
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
For me, Skydweller.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 02:24 PM   #60
Maiden
"TRF" Member

DD for me if only one. The king of the Rolex collection IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD wrist.JPG (93.2 KB, 248 views)
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote