The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 August 2016, 11:24 PM   #1
Simonja
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Icon7 Advice, help and explanation needed please.

Hello,
for several years I have collected vintage Rolex on a very limited scale. I have bought with punched papers which tell me the serial and owner or authorized retailer and I feel my purchase is 'safe'
I have started looking at PP but as with Rolex I find that many come 'with box and papers' but they are not from authorized PP retailers.
How valid are the papers? What are the papers? Do they need to be issued by a PP dealer and or assigned to original owner. Obviously there is a large price difference but I want to be sure on how PP system works before I spend 5 figures or more.
Maybe a nieve question but as I say I have been limited to my own Rolex world....any explanation of what it means to buy from a dealer on Chrono or other sites as opposed to an Authorized PP dealer. I just want to know what is right and correct and really is the seemingly large saving worth it for a few thousand.
Thank you
Simonja
Simonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 12:26 AM   #2
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonja View Post
Hello,
for several years I have collected vintage Rolex on a very limited scale. I have bought with punched papers which tell me the serial and owner or authorized retailer and I feel my purchase is 'safe'
I have started looking at PP but as with Rolex I find that many come 'with box and papers' but they are not from authorized PP retailers.
How valid are the papers? What are the papers? Do they need to be issued by a PP dealer and or assigned to original owner. Obviously there is a large price difference but I want to be sure on how PP system works before I spend 5 figures or more.
Maybe a nieve question but as I say I have been limited to my own Rolex world....any explanation of what it means to buy from a dealer on Chrono or other sites as opposed to an Authorized PP dealer. I just want to know what is right and correct and really is the seemingly large saving worth it for a few thousand.
Thank you
Simonja
Welcome to the Forum. There are 2 types of official papers issued by PP. The certificate of Origin that is provided with a new watch when sold, and a Extract from the Archives which can be issued upon request by PP for a nominal fee after the watch has been sold (I think it must be at least 10 years post sale before this can be issued).

The original certificate of origin is issued only once however at the time of purchase and can not be reissued if lost. Many collectors assign a higher value to the original certificate for that reason.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 12:28 AM   #3
Tony64
"TRF" Member

AD's are required to fill in the original certificate with the dealers stamp, date of sale, and owner's name. In the past many were left "open" at the customers request, but PP has recently been much more strict regarding this policy.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 12:50 AM   #4
Simonja
"TRF" Member

Tony, many thanks, much appreciated.
So in summary if I purchase from any NON AD or individual I will be much better assured if the watch is accompanied by the original certificate? I will not be buying any piece older than 10 years so I don't think the extract will be applicable.
Once again, many thanks
Simonja
Old 8 August 2016, 12:58 AM   #5
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonja View Post
So in summary if I purchase from any NON AD or individual I will be much better assured if the watch is accompanied by the original certificate? I will not be buying any piece older than 10 years so I don't think the extract will be applicable.
Yes, if it is a modern watch you will want the original certificate as well as the box and all of the other goodies. If you're interested in a specific piece it is worth checking to find out what comes with it, for example a stylus for actuating pushers on models that have complications other than date or pure chronos.

As for assurances, if you're not buying new from an AD the best way to feel good about it (in my opinion) is to buy from a known trusted seller. I'd stay away from private party transactions unless I know the seller.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 01:09 AM   #6
Simonja
"TRF" Member

Wonderful information, very welcoming to this forum. Sincere thanks.
Simonja