The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 September 2023, 01:14 AM   #1
dmash
"TRF" Member

Offshore Is Now Broken, An Ongoing Debacle

So in a follow up to my recent thread where I’ve had to send a brand new ROO43 into Clearwater TWICE: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=907000

I woke up this morning to a brand new problem. The watch completely broke on itself in the middle of the night. The watch stopped around 11pm, will not wind back up nor hold PR/function whatsoever. It spins freely in first position. Something is broken with the internal movement. In summation, during the approximate 3 months of Offshore ownership, I’ve now had:

-the watch running more than 30 seconds fast and getting Repair1
-upon return, had completely misaligned sub dials, still running over 20s fast and had to be sent in again for Repair2
-upon second return, STILL around 15s fast, but said whatever so I could finally wear it
-now has a broken power reserve/potential other issues with the movement and is completely inoperable

I’ve contacted my boutique as this is utterly ridiculous that I haven’t even had this watch in my hands for more than 3 weeks since original purchase. This is 100% a lemon timepiece and I am not accepting a resolution of repair at this point.

We’re discussing a near $50k timepiece, not a $5k Omega. Again, this watch was purchased at the very end of May, all of this has transpired in a mere 90 days or so, not persistent problems over years time. I am completely shocked with my experience thus far. How is this even possible….
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 01:18 AM   #2
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

A 5k omega would not do this….
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 01:22 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkk View Post
There’s a bit of truth to every joke.

Sorry to hear this OP. I’d want a new watch or my money back
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 01:25 AM   #4
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkk View Post
I included that tidbit to put into perspective from a quality control standpoint. I understand a bad apple might get through the factory, okay. But to be sent off for repair *twice*, and to cost what it does, it should be FLAWLESS upon return.

It’s almost unbelievable at this point.
Old 9 September 2023, 01:36 AM   #5
APhound
"TRF" Member

Wow, sorry to hear all this dmash..
I agree with you, they should take it back and get you a new one or exchange for something else. I’ve had a 43 for a few months and had no issues and just pure joy of ownership.
Your frustrations are completely valid. Curious to hear what they do for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 01:40 AM   #6
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
sorry to hear. very frustrating on an expensive purchase. Hope it is resolved soon.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 01:48 AM   #7
SRG89
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear mate, I've had a watch go in for service twice and it's infuriating when it has to go in the 2nd time.

I'd push for a replacement of the movement, it's clearly a dud
SRG89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 01:51 AM   #8
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG89 View Post
Sorry to hear mate, I've had a watch go in for service twice and it's infuriating when it has to go in the 2nd time.

I'd push for a replacement of the movement, it's clearly a dud
Yeah I was frustrated at time #2 (within 60 days of ownership), but now this would be time #3. It’s completely unacceptable and I’m not willing to do a single other repair on this watch.

What’s so infuriating is I love AP. I’ve awaited this first step for a long time. I added a second piece a month after this one. All I want is a solid working timepiece but for lack of better words, ‘this ain’t it’.
Old 9 September 2023, 01:53 AM   #9
APhound
"TRF" Member

Offshore Is Now Broken, An Ongoing Debacle

I kinda forgot about this,
But I bought a royal oak chrono, practically brand new but I had to pay like 30k premium at the time.
When I received it, immediately had to send it in for service, was running like fifteen minutes slow a day. Got it right back, and it was worse, same problem but just way way off, basically not working at all! Had to send it back again of course. So first two months of ownership I didn’t have it and was really frustrated, getting ready to write the brand off.
But when I got it back and sorted out, it’s been great, I love the watch, and don’t even remember all that frustration and have bought several more APs and want more..
So I’ve been where you are, but you’ll get through it!

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 01:55 AM   #10
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I included that tidbit to put into perspective from a quality control standpoint. I understand a bad apple might get through the factory, okay. But to be sent off for repair *twice*, and to cost what it does, it should be FLAWLESS upon return.

It’s almost unbelievable at this point.
For the price, the apple pickers should be able to spot the rotten worm eaten ones before they get to your hands. Zero part of this experience would be acceptable to me.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 01:55 AM   #11
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
I kinda forgot about this,
But I bought a royal oak chrono, practically brand new but I had to pay like 25k premium at the time.
When I received it, immediately had to send it in for service, was running like fifteen minutes slow a day. Got it right back, and it was worse, same problem but just way way off, basically not working at all! Had to send it back again of course. So first two months of ownership I didn’t have it and was really frustrated, getting ready to right the brand off.
But when I got it back and sorted out, it’s been great, I love the watch, and don’t even remember all that frustration and have bought several more APs and want more..
So I’ve been where you are, but you’ll get through it!

I was annoyed, but worked my way through it, at the time running fast/subdial issues *three* separate times and two repairs later.

But this, aside from what would be a THIRD visit to Clearwater, is that a component literally broke on the movement, in the middle of the night. This isn’t just a sake of accuracy now. Absolutely unacceptable.
Old 9 September 2023, 02:15 AM   #12
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, yeah I would be pretty upset at this point as you are. I have never had a bad experience with Clearwater and this is disappointing for sure. I would try to look at it this way, maybe they owe you something here for all the hassle? An allocation maybe could be arranged for all of this? I would ask for something for sure.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 02:23 AM   #13
messikens
"TRF" Member

Ask for money returned or a completely new watch.

The fact that a $50k Chrono (like mine and so many others) already has an issue with running minute hands and crap accuracy is bad enough.

The fact that you would be returning this piece for a third time is utterly ridiculous. I'd go to the boutique and make some serious with the boutique manager at this point...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 02:42 AM   #14
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Damn, that’s crazy and as you said, completely unacceptable.
Hopefully they tell you it’ll be replaced, although that may not be a timely matter either.
Sorry, Dmash. Good luck!
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 02:46 AM   #15
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

What does the AP boutique say? Did you ask them for replacement or offer you a 16202 for your pain/suffering OR just shrug their shoulders :(
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 02:54 AM   #16
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I woke up this morning to a brand new problem. The watch completely broke on itself in the middle of the night. The watch stopped around 11pm, will not wind back up nor hold PR/function whatsoever. It spins freely in first position. Something is broken with the internal movement.
I’ve contacted my boutique as this is utterly ridiculous that I haven’t even had this watch in my hands for more than 3 weeks since original purchase. This is 100% a lemon timepiece and I am not accepting a resolution of repair at this point.
That is disappointing. What does the boutique say? Having them work on it once is unfortunate, but not an outrage, but this crosses the threshold where AP should find some permanent resolution.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 03:04 AM   #17
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear. At this point, I agree that the boutique needs to find something to make it up to you with.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 03:05 AM   #18
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
That is disappointing. What does the boutique say? Having them work on it once is unfortunate, but not an outrage, but this crosses the threshold where AP should find some permanent resolution.
Exactly my reasoning.

First repair was an annoyance, but I said things happen.

Second repair I voiced my displeasure and alluded towards perhaps something should be done for the inconvenience, but I have maintained civility and respectfulness.

Now this? With an actual component seemingly breaking off? I’m awaiting the boutique manager’s response as he’s not in. I am 100% not accepting a ‘shoulder shrug’ as someone mentioned above. I’m remaining fairly silent until I get a confirmed response, before I decide how to proceed if it’s not adequate. This is too much and I think practically everyone would agree. I have faith in AP as a brand they see the same way here. This is easily fixable with the right resolution.
Old 9 September 2023, 03:07 AM   #19
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So in a follow up to my recent thread where I’ve had to send a brand new ROO43 into Clearwater TWICE: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=907000

I woke up this morning to a brand new problem. The watch completely broke on itself in the middle of the night. The watch stopped around 11pm, will not wind back up nor hold PR/function whatsoever. It spins freely in first position. Something is broken with the internal movement. In summation, during the approximate 3 months of Offshore ownership, I’ve now had:

-the watch running more than 30 seconds fast and getting Repair1
-upon return, had completely misaligned sub dials, still running over 20s fast and had to be sent in again for Repair2
-upon second return, STILL around 15s fast, but said whatever so I could finally wear it
-now has a broken power reserve/potential other issues with the movement and is completely inoperable

We’re discussing a near $50k timepiece, not a $5k Omega. Again, this watch was purchased at the very end of May, all of this has transpired in a mere 90 days or so, not persistent problems over years time. I am completely shocked with my experience thus far. How is this even possible….
This must be incredibly frustrating, but is the watch covered with AP care? If I remember correctly they mention repair or replacement. Could you push for a brand-new watch through the scheme?
Old 9 September 2023, 03:09 AM   #20
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
This, in my opinion, is disgusting, and completely unacceptable.

As you say, it's not a 5k Omega, but even at that price pint, I would not accept this level of "service".

Fully documented "repairs" that did not address any of the issues, and if I was in your position, I would "take the money and run" on this watch, and frankly, brand.

That sort of behavior is not something I tolerate- the problem is not me the customer abusing the timepiece, it clearly has issues, and I would have expected a full teardown and overhaul (which SHOULD0 have happened on the first return?) would correct any errors or replace defective components. It seems clear to me they did the absolute minimum level of service to (attempt to) address the problem. Not unlike the dealer experience these days with new automobiles...

I now realize that was a bit of a rant, but I would bring it in with box, papers (including the repair receipts) and demand a full refund, and not leave until I had a check in hand. But that's just me. I might even be seeking further compensation for my inconvenience. 50k invested in other ways, for the several months you did not have a watch you could wear, has the potential for a decent return...

Unacceptable behavior.

Very sorry to hear this. Verry disappointed that any company feels this is a tolerable level of "service" as well.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 03:15 AM   #21
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
That sort of behavior is not something I tolerate- the problem is not me the customer abusing the timepiece, it clearly has issues, and I would have expected a full teardown and overhaul (which SHOULD0 have happened on the first return?) would correct any errors or replace defective components. It seems clear to me they did the absolute minimum level of service to (attempt to) address the problem. Not unlike the dealer experience these days with new automobiles...

This is also why I’m pretty irate right now. They had a master watchmaker break down the watch TWICE over, and they couldn’t catch a faulty component that broke within a couple weeks? I mean that’s aside from it passing original Swiss factory quality control to begin.

This entire situation is perplexing to say the least. And yes, I will 100% not accept any type of repair on this watch at this point.
Old 9 September 2023, 03:52 AM   #22
J!m
"TRF" Member

I totally feel it.

My blood pressure was going up just reading your post.

I hope you are made whole again quickly.
Old 9 September 2023, 04:26 AM   #23
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

im sorry to hear this.. but just so you don't feel alone in this .. my friend who has sent his watch for repair .. got it back and broke again in the first week ..

People should really stay away from the Chrono movement it seems
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 04:35 AM   #24
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Sorry to hear this Dmash. I can see a repair happening on a fairly new piece, but multiple repairs in a 90 day period is outside the acceptable realm. I would have a conversation with the boutique. I'm sure Clearwater will eventually sort it out, but it has definitely negatively impacted your ownership experience.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 04:38 AM   #25
Shmoopy
"TRF" Member

Geez, I cannot imagine how frustrated you must be.

I agree that at this point, they should do something. Maybe pressure them for some type of immediate allocation?

Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction!
Shmoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 05:08 AM   #26
s14roller
"TRF" Member

What you’re experiencing is certainly an outlier. Typically even on the off chance something goes wrong it’s usually when it’s almost new, goes back under warranty, and then is fully resolved.

I’m sure the boutique will make it right and while it’s frustrating having the product issues, what’s most important is how it’s handled. GL
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 05:49 AM   #27
Armis
"TRF" Member

Would this repeat event suggest that there is something fundamentally flawed in the movement build? Because if they fix an end component but neglect a foundation error, then another fail is inevitable. I don’t have the technical knowledge of movements, but this is frustrating to read. Moreover, why is it so hard for them to give you a new watch??
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 06:37 AM   #28
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post

I’m sure the boutique will make it right and while it’s frustrating having the product issues, what’s most important is how it’s handled. GL
This is what I’m expecting, and I think rightfully so. This situation is bordering absurdity at this point. It’s all water under the bridge and I can move on, without grudge, as long as it’s handled appropriately. It’s not going to be pretty if the ‘resolution’ offered is telling me to send to Clearwater again. At this point, my only resolution will be for them to take this watch back and my relationship start fresh with a different allocation. Anything other than this will be deemed wholly unacceptable.

Really trying not to get too worked up and hopeful the right thing is done here.
Old 9 September 2023, 07:12 AM   #29
J!m
"TRF" Member

If I'm not mistaken this is a VERY common 7750 base movement... pretty much any watchmaker should be able to deal with it.

Point being no excuse for not doing it right the first time.

Still baffled by this outcome.
Old 9 September 2023, 07:18 AM   #30
dmash
"TRF" Member

Update- boutique manager is aware, and is (understandably) having to run this by higher ups.

Going to be a long weekend, I’ll provide an update Monday for everyone.