The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 March 2024, 11:51 AM   #1
bobafett
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1967 5513
Best Los Angeles vintage service?

Hey all,

Looking to find the current best local Los Angeles area place to have my 1967 5513 serviced. Not going to take it to Rolex HQ in Beverly Hills as they want to replace a ton of the watch to service it.

I am not able/willing to ship the watch and need to handle it locally.

Thanks for you input!!!
bobafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 01:06 PM   #2
MrLemon
"TRF" Member

I am pretty sure, Many pp will recommend LAWW
But be careful! I had my SD case repaired by them two years ago
originally quoted $300, one month later they called for "updated" price of $500
At pick up, they charged additional $50, for pressure test....
Now they charge about over $1000 for basic movement service without cost for parts
they call it "collector level" movement lubricate
MrLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 01:39 PM   #3
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
I would pay a little more for someone that won’t accidentally ruin my dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 03:56 PM   #4
CTech
"TRF" Member

Try Shant in Holly Street, Pasadena. He has worked on several watches for me and has always been professional and knowledgeable.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 06:56 PM   #5
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Some might suggest a Co/Chap rhymes with - bill it, rid me !
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 11:04 PM   #6
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Some might suggest a Co/Chap rhymes with - bill it, rid me !
Isn’t he in Arizona?
Old 28 March 2024, 11:09 PM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Isn’t he in Arizona?
That's an easy enough drive from SoCal for someone who isn't willing to ship. ;-)
Old 29 March 2024, 12:25 AM   #8
Eric88
"TRF" Member

LA Watchworks (LAWW) in Pasadena is a great shop...I've used them for numerous jobs and have always been happy with the quality and timeliness of their work.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 12:55 AM   #9
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
That's an easy enough drive from SoCal for someone who isn't willing to ship. ;-)
True!
Then, I’ll beg the question to TuRo:
Why not just type Phillip Ridley?
Old 29 March 2024, 01:15 AM   #10
jedione65
"TRF" Member

LA watchworks.
jedione65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 02:25 AM   #11
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
Hey all,

Looking to find the current best local Los Angeles area place to have my 1967 5513 serviced. Not going to take it to Rolex HQ in Beverly Hills as they want to replace a ton of the watch to service it.
Are you assuming this about the RSC, or did you take the watch in to get an estimate and they said you must replace X, Y and Z in order to have the movement serviced?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 02:31 AM   #12
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
True!
Then, I’ll beg the question to TuRo:
Why not just type Phillip Ridley?
Just thinking Ridley's get a somewhat disproportionate amount of 'propers' on here compared to many other fine indie watchmakers, that's all ! .... Hence slightly cryptic response ;-)
Old 29 March 2024, 03:49 AM   #13
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
I'm definitely one of the choir TuRo! I was going to use LAWW but went with bill it, rid me when LAWW was unable to source a good period correct bezel ring but realistically they only tried for about a week before they had me pick it up. Gave me the impression no effort was taken. I shipped it to Arizona, insured of course. Easy to ship from FedEx shop and easy pick up at FedEx shop too. No home deliveries for added security, and I would open the package at the facility so that too is filmed.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 05:08 AM   #14
bobafett
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1967 5513
Thanks everyone! Very helpful
bobafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 05:18 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Just thinking Ridley's get a somewhat disproportionate amount of 'propers' on here compared to many other fine indie watchmakers, that's all ! .... Hence slightly cryptic response ;-)
They do because they participate and show their work. That, along with customer feedback, is how you develop your reputation.

Likely if other watchmakers participated and showed their skills they would also get more than the occasional nod.
Old 29 March 2024, 02:11 PM   #16
shangster12
"TRF" Member

I've had my watch worked on by LA Watch Work and Phillip Ridley. LA takes way too long for a service and overhaul. Whereas Phillip finishes the work in < 3weeks.
When he sources parts he also gives you options. The only downside is that you have to ship your watch to him which is always a risk.
shangster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 12:12 AM   #17
studioal
"TRF" Member

Obviously there's risk involved with shipping, but ~$145 for FedEx overnight is probably a pretty reliable option if you were going to ship. Definitely not a crapshoot like USPS is. I'd take that risk versus dropping off to a shop that would take months to finish my watch.

Can't comment on any west coast service shops. Suppose you could always reach out to some reputable dealers (Fog City, Jacek, Angel City Time) and ask for a rec.
studioal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 12:19 AM   #18
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioal View Post
Obviously there's risk involved with shipping, but ~$145 for FedEx overnight is probably a pretty reliable option if you were going to ship. Definitely not a crapshoot like USPS is. I'd take that risk versus dropping off to a shop that would take months to finish my watch.

Can't comment on any west coast service shops. Suppose you could always reach out to some reputable dealers (Fog City, Jacek, Angel City Time) and ask for a rec.
Granted, it’s just one person, but I’ve had three huge screw-ups involving FedEx (one was a Japanese shipment that turned into a complete nightmare for all involved), and none with USPS Registered Mail, of which I’ve used many times.
Old 30 March 2024, 12:57 AM   #19
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I'm pretty sure I have shipped or received watches well over 100 times with USPS, and I've only had one snafu, where the watch went missing for a while. Even in that case, it was eventually returned to the sender, and everything was ok in the end.
Old 30 March 2024, 04:33 AM   #20
studioal
"TRF" Member

That's fair, and I have had numerous positive USPS experiences, but I've had some negatives. My point is that if you ship overnight you'll probably be just fine. Those services tend to have a much higher degree of care than say UPS Ground or USPS first class something like that. Just trying to help OP shift their opinion on shipping in order to open up more service possibilities.
Old 30 March 2024, 04:45 AM   #21
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioal View Post
My point is that if you ship overnight you'll probably be just fine. Those services tend to have a much higher degree of care than say UPS Ground or USPS first class something like that.
My point is that everyone has their anecdotal stories, but honestly, I don't share the general opinion that private couriers are better than USPS, apples to apples. I don't think anyone is talking about regular first class or UPS ground, but I have had great experiences with USPS Priority/Registered and also with overnight shipping from various couriers, but I've shipped many more using USPS. In fact, given the massive numbers of packages shipped by USPS, I have heard of relatively few problems. IIRC, we just heard two stories about thefts from couriers. I tend to think that USPS gets a bad rap because some people like to criticize anything with a connection to the government.

And unless you have a commercial account, you are extremely limited with respect to insurance from the private couriers. USPS Priority can be insured to $5k and registered to $50k. Of course, you can't insure sentimental value.
Old 30 March 2024, 08:04 AM   #22
studioal
"TRF" Member

Yep yep. Hopefully OP updates this thread on who they select to work on their watch. Would like to see pics of it too!
Old 30 March 2024, 08:40 AM   #23
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I looked on his site and didn't see a price list. Wonder what he's charging these days for a service.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 11:18 AM   #24
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
My point is that everyone has their anecdotal stories, but honestly, I don't share the general opinion that private couriers are better than USPS, apples to apples. I don't think anyone is talking about regular first class or UPS ground, but I have had great experiences with USPS Priority/Registered and also with overnight shipping from various couriers, but I've shipped many more using USPS. In fact, given the massive numbers of packages shipped by USPS, I have heard of relatively few problems. IIRC, we just heard two stories about thefts from couriers. I tend to think that USPS gets a bad rap because some people like to criticize anything with a connection to the government.

And unless you have a commercial account, you are extremely limited with respect to insurance from the private couriers. USPS Priority can be insured to $5k and registered to $50k. Of course, you can't insure sentimental value.
Some good points Dan, but I tend to lean toward FedEx myself.

I prefer FedEx shipped to a FedEx location for a hold. If you want to ship via registered insured through USPS, then that is an option also but it is not a guarantee that it won't go missing or be stolen. I found that out about 10 years ago when I had a watch stolen at a mail facility in Chicago. I did get paid but took about three months.

For me, an insured watch with Inforsure and shipped to a FedEx location is the best, quickest route for shipping. Ridley is able to send any customer a shipping label for a delivery to a FedEx location where he is located.

The longer anything shipped remains in a carrier's possession increases the likelihood for it to go missing or end up stolen. Overnight shipping works best for most occasions.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 10:23 PM   #25
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

The longer anything shipped remains in a carrier's possession increases the likelihood for it to go missing or end up stolen. Overnight shipping works best for most occasions.
Agree 100%
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 11:46 PM   #26
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I do like the idea of shipping to a FedEx location, and obviously you can't do something like that with USPS.
Old 31 March 2024, 10:22 AM   #27
MrLemon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I do like the idea of shipping to a FedEx location, and obviously you can't do something like that with USPS.

Have a PO BOX ٩(๑•̀ω•́๑)۶
MrLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 11:28 AM   #28
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
Have a PO BOX ٩(๑•̀ω•́๑)۶
Yeah, we have a home in a town without home delivery, so a PO Box is actually the only option there. And strangely, we have to pay for it. In other words, there's no way to receive USPS mail without paying for a PO Box. Anyway, when a parcel is too big to fit, it can sometimes involve a long search, sometimes a multi-day search. They always find it eventually, though.

But more to Springer's point, I realized that my previous post was actually wrong. The sender does have the option to have a parcel held at the recipient's post office for pickup.
Old 2 April 2024, 10:42 PM   #29
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
They do because they participate and show their work. That, along with customer feedback, is how you develop your reputation.

Likely if other watchmakers participated and showed their skills they would also get more than the occasional nod.
Fair point, they do stuff that has redounded to their credit, and that others could learn from