The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 February 2021, 06:52 AM   #1
Pure_class
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1520 movement serviceability

Usually don't hang around the vintage area much, tried searching but no luck both here and Google. What is the ability to get Rolex 1520 movements serviced? I have heard that Rolex is no longer servicing any 4 digit reference submariners. Has this been officially confirmed, and if so, is it difficult for others to service these movements as time has gone on?
Pure_class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 07:07 AM   #2
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Any good watchmaker can service a Rolex 15 series movement
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 07:25 AM   #3
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_class View Post
I have heard that Rolex is no longer servicing any 4 digit reference submariners.
100% wrong
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 01:03 PM   #4
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:
Usually don't hang around the vintage area much, tried searching but no luck both here and Google. What is the ability to get Rolex 1520 movements serviced? I have heard that Rolex is no longer servicing any 4 digit reference submariners. Has this been officially confirmed, and if so, is it difficult for others to service these movements as time has gone on?
CT? Is that a state, like Connecticut in the USA? This is a worldwide forum.

In Europe Rolex IS servicing all Rolex vintage, some directly chez the Country Distributors the older/harder ones in Geneva CH (Switzerland)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 07:35 AM   #5
Pure_class
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
CT? Is that a state, like Connecticut in the USA? This is a worldwide forum.

In Europe Rolex IS servicing all Rolex vintage, some directly chez the Country Distributors the older/harder ones in Geneva CH (Switzerland)
Yes CT = Connecticut in the USA. That is good to know they are still servicing. I just wanted to confirm.
Old 1 March 2021, 07:43 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That is good to know they are still servicing. I just wanted to confirm.
The answer is not so simple, things are in flux. A given RSC will service a watch for which they have parts. The way to confirm is to ask a particular service center directly about your specific watch.

Or you can believe the people who give you the answer you want to hear.
Old 1 March 2021, 08:21 AM   #7
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
The answer is not so simple, things are in flux. A given RSC will service a watch for which they have parts. The way to confirm is to ask a particular service center directly about your specific watch.

Or you can believe the people who give you the answer you want to hear.
Listen to Dan ... the answer is “it depends”

It’s actually a point of great irritation as they’ve cut off the parts supply.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 03:27 PM   #8
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I have friends at one of the independent local AD's...Rolex turn them down for service every day.
Independent watchmakers with accounts can NOT even get plastic crystals..they are obsoleted. All of the 4 digit serial movement components are also obsoleted.
Maybe they service them in Europe....that will be on an individual basis.

RUSA is an independent company from Rolex S.A. Policies are not always congruous.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 09:26 AM   #9
Pure_class
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post
Listen to Dan ... the answer is “it depends”

It’s actually a point of great irritation as they’ve cut off the parts supply.
Agreed. I have a friend who is a watchmaker and services Omega and his counterpart who deals with Rolex said they have cut off parts etc etc.
Old 3 March 2021, 09:27 AM   #10
Pure_class
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
I have friends at one of the independent local AD's...Rolex turn them down for service every day.
Independent watchmakers with accounts can NOT even get plastic crystals..they are obsoleted. All of the 4 digit serial movement components are also obsoleted.
Maybe they service them in Europe....that will be on an individual basis.

RUSA is an independent company from Rolex S.A. Policies are not always congruous.
Yes this is what I have heard also from a friend of mine. That is what is concerning. So I guess these watches will only be able to function/work for a certain time until no one can replace the worn parts?
Old 3 March 2021, 09:30 AM   #11
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Glad I just had Phillip to a full service on my 4 digit sub!
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 11:56 AM   #12
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes this is what I have heard also from a friend of mine. That is what is concerning. So I guess these watches will only be able to function/work for a certain time until no one can replace the worn parts?
No I disagree. They made probably somewhere in excess of 5 MILLION of those movements. They RARELY need parts if they are maintained properly and there ZILLIONS of parts movements in scrap and ZILLIONS of replacement service parts in the wild.

Barrels, center wheels, reversers, sweep pinions and drives. pretty much what goes bad. Barrel bridge bushing and main plate bushings. Those can be made.

I'm servicing 620s...and 700s they made a fraction of the amount of those.

You may not be able to have it run as well on the machine as it did in 1970...but is it necessary?

If it keeps time basically within spec on your wrist...can you deal with it?

People are more concerned with a single spec of dust on a matte dial, that you can't see without a loupe...than they are with accuracy even now...
Old 3 March 2021, 11:29 PM   #13
Pure_class
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
No I disagree. They made probably somewhere in excess of 5 MILLION of those movements. They RARELY need parts if they are maintained properly and there ZILLIONS of parts movements in scrap and ZILLIONS of replacement service parts in the wild.

Barrels, center wheels, reversers, sweep pinions and drives. pretty much what goes bad. Barrel bridge bushing and main plate bushings. Those can be made.

I'm servicing 620s...and 700s they made a fraction of the amount of those.

You may not be able to have it run as well on the machine as it did in 1970...but is it necessary?

If it keeps time basically within spec on your wrist...can you deal with it?

People are more concerned with a single spec of dust on a matte dial, that you can't see without a loupe...than they are with accuracy even now...
Well that is reassuring! Thanks for the info. Yeah I would have thought there would be tons of stock in the wild, just maybe locating it won't be as easy as simply calling up for a service etc. But good to know.
Old 3 March 2021, 11:38 PM   #14
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
just maybe locating it won't be as easy as simply calling up for a service etc.
This is simply the nature of vintage watch collecting. Virtually no manufacturers are routinely servicing or providing parts for 50+ year-old watches. Why does this issue constantly come up on Rolex forums? I don't hear Longines, Omega, Heuer, IWC, or Universal Geneve collectors whining about it.

Never mind ... I know why.
Old 4 March 2021, 12:10 AM   #15
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Some of the trusted watchmakers known on this site have many spare parts on hand. You might reach out to one of them to see if they can service it for you.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 03:02 AM   #16
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well that is reassuring! Thanks for the info. Yeah I would have thought there would be tons of stock in the wild, just maybe locating it won't be as easy as simply calling up for a service etc. But good to know.
It will come to an issue of "price". Anytime something is made more difficult to come by...in a field where things are "collectible"...the price will be gouged.

Crystals...NO PLASTIC CRYSTALS genuine are available from Rolex. They were 35.00....Fleebay 50.00 now 125-UP! Depending on the model.