The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 December 2022, 07:39 AM   #1
dan188
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1978 Sub 1680
New guy here - my first vintage watch (and first Rolex)

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I've always loved vintage GMTs and Submariners, and after almost a year of looking I finally pulled the trigger on a 1978 Submariner 1680. I'm really pleased with the watch, but I also have to say that the time spent researching and learning about vintage Rolexes has been just as much fun as actually buying the watch. This forum has been incredibly helpful. I probably read through at least 100 threads on here as I tried to get some basic education on all of the nuances with the old Subs.

As for my 1680, it appears to be in mostly original condition. I uploaded a few pictures of the watch with a leather strap, but the watch came with a 93150 bracelet with a late 90's date code. The only piece that I suspect is wrong is my bezel insert, and honestly I can't tell if it is a service piece or maybe fake? The numbers appear to be correct for a skinny font bezel, but I'm not really sure. Also, the pip color matches the color of the hands and lume plots in normal light, and the pip appears to have the correct clear coating over it (as opposed to a ring around it or no clear shell at all). However, when I put the watch under a UV light the pip is a noticeably brighter glow than the hands and dial which barely react to the UV light. I might be obsessing too much over the bezel insert, but I'm sure you all can relate :)

Dan

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg
dan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 08:55 AM   #2
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Welcome and congrats on a beautiful 1680!

Insert appears to be a MK8 flat 4 from about 1984 onwards, according to this wonderful publication:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vint...r-t266367.html
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 09:02 AM   #3
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Congrats and welcome.
Looks like your watch has been serviced with newer parts but I like it and think it looks great.
Old 2 December 2022, 09:06 AM   #4
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Welcome and thanks for sharing.

Worth checking the crystal again - that magnification doesn't look quite right to me.

Have you also figured out what MK dial this is?
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 09:27 AM   #5
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

It's a MK1 dialed 1680.

Outstanding, Dan!
Old 2 December 2022, 09:27 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum and congratulations
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 10:07 AM   #7
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Insert is a later period and the case appears to be NOS…..
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 10:21 AM   #8
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Insert is a later period and the case appears to be NOS…..
Indeed, there's something too good to be true, or maybe not... just a good polish job?

Maybe the OP can share some good pictures from the model and serial engravings? Just blur the last 3 digits from the serial #.
Old 2 December 2022, 10:37 AM   #9
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Welcome and that's a very cool vintage piece!
Beo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 09:48 PM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Love a bit of vintage.

Do us a favor and give those keyboards a wipe down.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 10:34 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 01:38 AM   #12
dan188
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the comments guys! And I appreciate the help with identifying the bezel insert. I also agree that the case might possibly be NOS because it is in incredibly sharp condition. Actually now that I am really inspecting it I'm getting the fear that it's too nice and might be fake (??). As for the comment above about the cyclops, thanks for pointing that out. I'd like to have the crystal looked at and replaced if it is wrong.

Here are a few pictures below. The stamping appears to be genuine Rolex in terms of the quality, but I'm just basing this off of an article I found online that showed Rolex serial number font examples over the years.

Also the words "stainless steel" above the serial number are faint but mostly worn off. There are also words written above the model number but they are so faded that I can't make out what it says.

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg
Old 3 December 2022, 03:15 AM   #13
ADINVA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Careful Dan. Once you start on vintage, you will only add more!

Congrats! Great lovely piece. Love the soft tone patina.
ADINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 03:37 AM   #14
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Can’t offer much help as I don’t have a great eye for a lot of the intricacies, but great looking 1680
Old 3 December 2022, 10:17 AM   #15
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

So, numbers are perfectly readable, but STAINLESS STEEL and REGISTERED DESIGN are not?

That is weird weird.

Here my very used bruised and battered 1680 to compare fonts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020.09.11 Model Number 1.jpg (166.5 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg 2020.09.11 Serial Number 2.jpg (181.0 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg 2020.09.11 Serial Number 3.jpg (186.5 KB, 495 views)
Old 3 December 2022, 10:35 AM   #16
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

hmm, I wouldn't expect a truly NOS case to have that level of bracelet wear and fading to the text between the lugs
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 12:19 PM   #17
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
At the very least the case has been refinished IMHO as the chamfers are quite sharp and no scratches what so ever. The wearing away of the Registered Design and whatnot does happen but is odd. That said, I am not an expert. Nor don't even have one of these. Was just considering doing some case work to my own watch, which I have decided against. But that would be the result I would want with a little laser welding and refinishing. I can't see a 40-50 year old watch having a case that perfect with that kind of wear in those other areas. If it is too good to be true it probably is. However, assuming the case is real and the wear is from ill fitting end links they did a great job refinishing, looks great!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 12:38 PM   #18
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Congratulations! Vintage has so much charm.

Did a nice job on laser welding and recutting the case.

Do you have the ability to open the caseback and inspect the inside of the casback and movement?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 12:53 PM   #19
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Where did you get it?
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 11:15 PM   #20
Arnozerosix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan188 View Post
Thanks for all of the comments guys! And I appreciate the help with identifying the bezel insert. I also agree that the case might possibly be NOS because it is in incredibly sharp condition. Actually now that I am really inspecting it I'm getting the fear that it's too nice and might be fake (??). As for the comment above about the cyclops, thanks for pointing that out. I'd like to have the crystal looked at and replaced if it is wrong.

Here are a few pictures below. The stamping appears to be genuine Rolex in terms of the quality, but I'm just basing this off of an article I found online that showed Rolex serial number font examples over the years.

Also the words "stainless steel" above the serial number are faint but mostly worn off. There are also words written above the model number but they are so faded that I can't make out what it says.

without stressing you too much, keeping reserves on what I say as better expert of that model might correct me, but there are several things that are rising a doubt to me as well.

1.Crystal is not Rolex.
2.Crown got exchanged. In general this comes during a service at Rolex , so where is the service paper.
3.Same as point 2 for the insert.
4.I also have a doubt on the bezel shape itself

5.Strange wear between lugs for such sharp case (except if it was laser restored)

I would seriously recommand you open the case back and post a photo to confirm the case and movement at least ...

cheers,
Arnozerosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 12:33 AM   #21
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Case doesn't look NOS to my eyes. Look at the crown guards. Slightly rounded off. My guess is that it was a thick case that someone had recut. That doesn't necessarily mean laser welding.

OP, what is the beginning of the serial number. Hard to tell in that photo. I wouldn't stress about some replaced parts, assuming the rest checks out as authentic. I'd slap a correct crystal on the watch and enjoy it. A replaced insert and crown are no big deal, and if you're a real stickler you could always track down the period-correct parts.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 01:17 AM   #22
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Case doesn't look NOS to my eyes. Look at the crown guards. Slightly rounded off. My guess is that it was a thick case that someone had recut. That doesn't necessarily mean laser welding.

OP, what is the beginning of the serial number. Hard to tell in that photo. I wouldn't stress about some replaced parts, assuming the rest checks out as authentic. I'd slap a correct crystal on the watch and enjoy it. A replaced insert and crown are no big deal, and if you're a real stickler you could always track down the period-correct parts.
The modest widening of the chamfer towards the tip is something I've come to recognize as a signature of case refinishing by some of the more common shops.
Old 4 December 2022, 07:38 AM   #23
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

Im going with a laser weld in addition to a recut. The lug holes look to good for a watch that age. Odds are both were done.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 08:59 PM   #24
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Difficult from those photos, but I'd like some other expertise input on those engravings, personally.
Have you a photo of the first digit in the serial as Aaron suggested, is it a 3, 4 ,5 or 6 please?
Ps the other word should be REGISTERED DESIGN can you make out any of that ? Ps x16 with your camera phone magnification in daylight usually works even if faint.
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 10:40 PM   #25
1675-David
"TRF" Member

I recently got a1680 back from a professional polishing and it looks very similar to your watch in character

1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 11:24 PM   #26
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
I recently got a1680 back from a professional polishing and it looks very similar to your watch in character

Wow, that insert! So nice.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2022, 12:29 AM   #27
dan188
"TRF" Member

Hi guys. I don't have the tools to open up the case back, but your hunch about the case being welded and re-cut sounds plausible to me. That would explain why the wear from the end links is so inconsistent with the lack of wear on the outside of the case. I bought the watch from a local, very reputable, jewelry store/watch repair store that sells used Rolex watches. They told me that the watch appeared to be mostly original but also serviced with Rolex parts over the years (bezel in particular). I will pick up one of those rubber balls used to remove the case back and check inside. What should I look for other than confirming that the correct movement is in there? thanks.
Old 6 December 2022, 12:42 AM   #28
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Laser weld or possibly numbers redone…..six in your serial looks off….and it’s mint w no wear where all the Numbers are then all letters completely worn off like 30plus years of wearing…….makes no sense
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2022, 01:37 AM   #29
dan188
"TRF" Member

I forgot to mention in my previous reply - the first serial number is a 5. I can also faintly see the "REG" letters but all other letters are basically worn off. It looks like the end links have done significant wear to the case. It's hard to see in the pictures but the area where the end link touches the case has started to form a small indentation from the end links rubbing the case.
Old 6 December 2022, 04:09 AM   #30
Arnozerosix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Laser weld or possibly numbers redone…..six in your serial looks off….and it’s mint w no wear where all the Numbers are then all letters completely worn off like 30plus years of wearing…….makes no sense
without seeing the case open and a good photo of the caseback, I would doubt as well....
Arnozerosix is offline   Reply With Quote