The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 25 May 2019, 12:14 AM   #31
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I'm prepared for power outages and mild social unrest. It's mostly about peace of mind, knowing you're ready to deal effectively and definitely with the unknown.

Visitors after sunset are strongly urged to call ahead.
Old 25 May 2019, 12:33 AM   #32
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
I'm prepared for power outages and mild social unrest. It's mostly about peace of mind, knowing you're ready to deal effectively and definitely with the unknown.

Visitors after sunset are strongly urged to call ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
I have what I would need for weather related power outages. Canned soup, books and enough wine for a fortnight.
Absolutely makes sense to have a few days rations at home for sure. My wife and I both have survival equipment, portable shelter and enough food for two for a few days in back-packs in each of our cars. Not so much for EMP's or Gamma Bursts but in case one of us goes off the road or gets stuck somewhere and we can't be found for an extended period of time. We live and travel in the Northeast, weather here happens and suffering without some bare essentials like water and food is just silly.
Old 25 May 2019, 12:36 AM   #33
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Absolutely makes sense to have a few days rations at home for sure. My wife and I both have survival equipment, portable shelter and enough food for two for a few days in back-packs in each of our cars. Not so much for EMP's or Gamma Bursts but in case one of us goes off the road or gets stuck somewhere and we can't be found for an extended period of time. We live and travel in the Northeast, weather here happens and suffering without some bare essentials like water and food is just silly.
Prudent vs paranoid.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 25 May 2019, 12:55 AM   #34
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I don’t know about the end of the world, but natural disasters are a thing.
Old 25 May 2019, 01:05 AM   #35
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

There is practical 'prepping' and there are the crazies who think the world is ending tommorow and/or the government is coming to get them, etc.

Living in FL, it's not uncommon for us to lose power for up to 7-14 days after a large storm every 3-5 years so its prudent to be prepared for that.

But many of the things I own to prepare for that, can be used elsewhere in life so it's not a sunken cost of 'prepping'. IE - I use my generator for football tailgates but to also power my fridge during an outage...
Old 25 May 2019, 01:30 AM   #36
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Practical prepping is a good idea, storms, power outages etc. But I must admit I laugh when I see some of these clowns on TV with tens of thousands of dollars (or more) spent on compounds, weapons, trading for the day society and the world literally ends. If that day comes in my lifetime I’ll be content to be one of the masses that perish.
Old 25 May 2019, 03:46 AM   #37
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Unless anyone hasn't been paying attention, about one quarter to one third of Americans are batshit crazy.

That percentage has probably been constant since the outcasts of Europe fell off the boat that landed here.
Old 25 May 2019, 03:58 AM   #38
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
yes, a good post indeed,

mankind has been on the brink since it was conceived,

i read some philospher, who said the human condition is one of struggle,
that you are born in pain, and you spend your life in pain, maybe that was john lennon who said it, i forget now..
That's one of the basis of Buddhism. Life is suffering.

As for preppers & survivalists, it seems like the far right (and possibly far left), as well as other nutcases on the internet, seem to perpetuate that "once the banks collapse, the governments will crumble, and we'll all have to live off the land to survive & reestablish society."

If the banks were gonna collapse & we'd all be knocked back hundreds of years in technological advancements, your aluminum shed with a box of 22LR & MREs won't help much.
Old 25 May 2019, 04:15 AM   #39
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Practical prepping is a good idea, storms, power outages etc. But I must admit I laugh when I see some of these clowns on TV with tens of thousands of dollars (or more) spent on compounds, weapons, trading for the day society and the world literally ends. If that day comes in my lifetime I’ll be content to be one of the masses that perish.

This! I don't mind pushing through for day, weeks, months, if some natural disaster happened. However, I have no interest in sticking around if the world goes to $hit.
Old 25 May 2019, 05:33 AM   #40
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Bring it on.
Old 25 May 2019, 07:37 AM   #41
timedate
-

i wonder if some people want a collapse, like they see it as a reset button, so everyone can start from scratch and past mistakes are null and void.
Old 25 May 2019, 05:57 PM   #42
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I doubt that "preppers" really have any realistic concept of what it would be like to have to be totally independent. The level of preparation required goes way beyond a cinder-block hut, personal defensive items and a few hundred cans of baked beans.
Common sense suggests that independent survival is not possible. Only by forming 'communities' is there any chance of survival in the event of major calamities, and even then the prospects are frightening.
I tend to think the "prepper" thing is futile in the case of really major disaster - e.g pandemic, nuclear war, comet-strike etc.
Having experienced minor disasters like Cyclones that take out power and water for a week or so and leave people living in community shelters I know that things turn to 5h1t very quickly.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Old 25 May 2019, 09:13 PM   #43
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
i wonder if some people want a collapse, like they see it as a reset button, so everyone can start from scratch and past mistakes are null and void.
A bicycle could become more valuable than a Rolls Royce.
Old 26 May 2019, 12:04 AM   #44
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
I thought this thread was going to be about food prepping. Dang!
Old 26 May 2019, 12:13 AM   #45
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
I have what I would need for weather related power outages. Canned soup, books and enough wine for a fortnight.
So, I have to admit we’ve had a couple of ice storms here where we’ve lost power for a few days.

We always keep stuff like you mention on hand ... especially the wine
Old 26 May 2019, 12:18 AM   #46
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
I think the higher somebody is in a society's hierarchy the more invested they are in its stability. If I had tons of unsecured student loans and no job, I'd 100% want the dollar to crash
Old 26 May 2019, 12:54 AM   #47
THC

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
A bicycle could become more valuable than a Rolls Royce.
so true
Old 26 May 2019, 02:35 AM   #48
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
I get it if there actually was a threat of imminent collapse of our society.
Once the threat becomes apparent will there be enough time and resources to manage? I think this is the preppers mindset to get a start on things while it's easy. But then again there's a wide spectrum of prepping. Luxury silos are probably a necessity though
Old 26 May 2019, 03:21 AM   #49
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
This! I don't mind pushing through for day, weeks, months, if some natural disaster happened. However, I have no interest in sticking around if the world goes to $hit.
Lot of people say this... theyll just give up. But how will you know that society has truly fallen off? There isn’t going to be realiable news or clear announcement that “the world has ended”, so how will you know it was a full blown zombie situation or just a week or two blip. Once normal society is down for even 3-4 days it’s gonna get bad. You think the frenzy over a jubilee gmt is nuts? Wait till you see people when their iPhones are not working and the electricity off.

Also people don’t think about loved ones (eg children)... you gonna let the crazy people take your kid or you planning to take them with you when you jump off the bridge.

The fact our society’s food supply/chain is months long and is so complex it should scare you. We are so dependent on industrial farms 1000s of miles away, freezer trailers and trucks with clear open roads so you can buy food or eat at restaurant with a credit card. Sure people have been predicting the end of the world since it began, but society is more fragile and full of pure dependence than its ever been.

I have 5 ways to store/filter water, have lots of hand tools, have about 2 months of freeze dried food, etc. An investment in this isn’t much, but it’s insurance and options for the what if. You likely spend more in 6 months insuring your car.

Ask yourself this, how long could your family live in your house with no electricity, plumbing or the ability to buy anything else? My bet is that it’s only 2-3 days at most.

We all say how crazy the preppers are, but they’ve likely never met a hysterical person in a crisis that they weren’t prepared for. Now that’s crazy!

Motto of the Boy Scouts, Be Prepared.
Old 26 May 2019, 03:39 AM   #50
timedate
-

At the end of the day, a prepper is harming no-one, they enjoy being part of a community with other like minded people, they learn about survival, have an awareness of how fragile we are, and contribute to the economy.

And who knows? They might be right, i wouldnt be totally sure that they have blown it all out of proportion.
Old 26 May 2019, 04:12 AM   #51
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
At the end of the day, a prepper is harming no-one, they enjoy being part of a community with other like minded people, they learn about survival, have an awareness of how fragile we are, and contribute to the economy.

And who knows? They might be right, i wouldnt be totally sure that they have blown it all out of proportion.
Another thinly disguised thead related to your hanging out on right wingnut sites and parroting their views.

Bit of a pattern here.
Old 26 May 2019, 04:49 AM   #52
betterwatchit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Another thinly disguised thead related to your hanging out on right wingnut sites and parroting their views.

Bit of a pattern here.
Yes, was thinking the same!
Old 26 May 2019, 04:56 AM   #53
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Let’s play nice folks or this thread will disappear.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 26 May 2019, 05:01 AM   #54
timedate
-

Quote:

Bit of a pattern here.

hey blanksy, and your mate,

you dont like me, you dont like what i write, you constantly look to cause **** and get a perfectly legitimate thread shut down,

so why not just keep away? n

p.s you were quite happy to contribute when it suited you at post no 37.......remember?
Old 26 May 2019, 05:31 AM   #55
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
hey blanksy, and your mate,

you dont like me, you dont like what i write,
I like you more than life itself.

I just hate to see you get caught up and go down the rabbit hole of internet and radio lunacy.

When I was in Sydney a couple of years ago our UBER driver was a nice looking intelligent guy driving a very nice Jaguar and he started talking about a bunch of right wing crazyness and he admitted he was in chat rooms and websites all night and conversing with people about the stuff you apparently are caught up in. I just said to him, man, you gotta shut that stuff off and get a life, because it'll be a spiral into crazyness and it's addicting.

That's how it works. It's addicting because due to the fear and anger it instills, chemical in the brain release domamine and adrenaline and you can't keep away.

The people behind it are making millions of dollars spreading it, that should tell you something.
Old 26 May 2019, 05:47 AM   #56
timedate
-

[QUOTE=Blansky;9669642]I like you more than life itself.

I just hate to see you get caught up and go down the rabbit hole of internet and radio lunacy.

When I was in Sydney a couple of years ago our UBER driver was a nice looking intelligent guy driving a very nice Jaguar and he started talking about a bunch of right wing crazyness and he admitted he was in chat rooms and websites all night and conversing with people about the stuff you apparently are caught up in. I just said to him, man, you gotta shut that stuff off and get a life, because it'll be a spiral into crazyness and it's addicting.

That's how it works. It's addicting because due to the fear and anger it instills, chemical in the brain release domamine and adrenaline and you can't keep away.

just a load of backpedalling BS

as i said, you were more than happy to contribute,
and then more than happy to try and bring it down,

As an aside, do you start many threads?

Have a wonderful evening now, and do try and avoid that ghastly talk radio.
Old 26 May 2019, 05:53 AM   #57
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
Lot of people say this... theyll just give up. But how will you know that society has truly fallen off? There isn’t going to be realiable news or clear announcement that “the world has ended”, so how will you know it was a full blown zombie situation or just a week or two blip. Once normal society is down for even 3-4 days it’s gonna get bad. You think the frenzy over a jubilee gmt is nuts? Wait till you see people when their iPhones are not working and the electricity off.

Also people don’t think about loved ones (eg children)... you gonna let the crazy people take your kid or you planning to take them with you when you jump off the bridge.

The fact our society’s food supply/chain is months long and is so complex it should scare you. We are so dependent on industrial farms 1000s of miles away, freezer trailers and trucks with clear open roads so you can buy food or eat at restaurant with a credit card. Sure people have been predicting the end of the world since it began, but society is more fragile and full of pure dependence than its ever been.

I have 5 ways to store/filter water, have lots of hand tools, have about 2 months of freeze dried food, etc. An investment in this isn’t much, but it’s insurance and options for the what if. You likely spend more in 6 months insuring your car.

Ask yourself this, how long could your family live in your house with no electricity, plumbing or the ability to buy anything else? My bet is that it’s only 2-3 days at most.

We all say how crazy the preppers are, but they’ve likely never met a hysterical person in a crisis that they weren’t prepared for. Now that’s crazy!

Motto of the Boy Scouts, Be Prepared.

I find your level of “prep” quite reasonable, having a few months of food and ways to get water, especially if you have a family is not ludicrous at all IMHO.

Now me? I don’t have family, so if the world ends I’ll grab what I can, live as long as I can, but somebody has to be part of the mass-human perishing, mine as well be me.
Old 26 May 2019, 06:14 AM   #58
timedate
-

we survived when it all began, albeit the strongest or the luckiest, we would definitely survive as a species in my opinion.

for the record, i have only one tin of beans in the cupboard and zero silver.
Old 26 May 2019, 06:53 AM   #59
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like you more than life itself.

The people behind it are making millions of dollars spreading it, that should tell you something.
You’re talking about Rolex and TRF there right?

Between earthquakes, fires and drought you should have some good preps in place I’m sure?
Old 26 May 2019, 07:12 AM   #60
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
You’re talking about Rolex and TRF there right?

Between earthquakes, fires and drought you should have some good preps in place I’m sure?
That was funny.

Although there is a parallel because the right wing sites attract people looking for "new friends" but in their case it's people that can't get laid where as this Rolex site (apparently except for theVTCGUY), everyone is happy and making out like a bandit.

As for my disastrous area, we have earthquakes, fires and drought BUT we also have wine. So my preps are a few cases of good grapes and who gives a shit what happens.
Closed Thread