The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 8 October 2018, 12:02 PM   #1
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Im torn between an Omega or a Tudor

I'm torn. Maybe my fellow TRFers can provide some insight.

I really like the Omega Speedmaster. Looking at the Ref. 311.30.42.30.01.005 with hesitate and solid casebook but more modern bracelet with screws over pins? (is this correct?). My understanding is this has a slightly different movement than the 3750.50, and I'm okay with that. Love the heritage with the piece and just find it cool. We are kind space buffs in this house and I think my other half will be okay with the purchase when I suddenly tell her I bought it as she's a space buff too and appreciates the history associated with the speedy. I also do not own a chrono in the collection and this is the one for me when I do get one. Ive seen a few in the wild and every time I think they look so good.

On the flip side, I really like the Tudor BB GMT. I like Tudor as a brand and love the GMT complication. Maybe I have too many GMTs, but man it's so cool. My buddy got one and I got to see it in the flesh and it looked great. With this one though, I don't think my other half will be super happy with the purchase, but I don't care lol. My money and I work hard for it.

Both is not an option right now as planning a wedding and have to pay for the stuff associated.

Anyone have both? This is hard call. My heart could go either way on these.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 12:06 PM   #2
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Speedy Pro hesalite gets my vote. You already have a few GMTs, and Speedy will add to your lineup nicely.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 12:26 PM   #3
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Speedy , you already have a few GMT's.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 12:40 PM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I do love both choices. But the Speedy would win for me for being so iconic that's stood the test of time. The Black Bay is more of a cool mix mash of vintage nods in a modern diver.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 02:39 PM   #5
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

"My understanding is this has a slightly different movement than the 3750.50"

Movement is same cal. 1861, the bracelet is different though... screwed links vice pins and collars for the 3570.50.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 02:44 PM   #6
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

Speedy
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:31 PM   #7
S2000_driver
"TRF" Member

In my opinion, a Speedmaster Professional is a must have in every watch collection. It is a special watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S2000_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 04:16 PM   #8
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Given your other watches and you and your wife's love of space, the Speedmaster is the obvious choice.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 08:20 PM   #9
lucassith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
I'm torn. Maybe my fellow TRFers can provide some insight.

I really like the Omega Speedmaster. Looking at the Ref. 311.30.42.30.01.005 with hesitate and solid casebook but more modern bracelet with screws over pins? (is this correct?). My understanding is this has a slightly different movement than the 3750.50, and I'm okay with that. Love the heritage with the piece and just find it cool. We are kind space buffs in this house and I think my other half will be okay with the purchase when I suddenly tell her I bought it as she's a space buff too and appreciates the history associated with the speedy. I also do not own a chrono in the collection and this is the one for me when I do get one. Ive seen a few in the wild and every time I think they look so good.

On the flip side, I really like the Tudor BB GMT. I like Tudor as a brand and love the GMT complication. Maybe I have too many GMTs, but man it's so cool. My buddy got one and I got to see it in the flesh and it looked great. With this one though, I don't think my other half will be super happy with the purchase, but I don't care lol. My money and I work hard for it.

Both is not an option right now as planning a wedding and have to pay for the stuff associated.

Anyone have both? This is hard call. My heart could go either way on these.

I’m with the same doubt, but I don’t have any Chronos or any GMT’s, what you guys think? I should buy the Tudor GMT or the Speedy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lucassith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:18 PM   #10
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
...I also do not own a chrono in the collection and this is the one for me when I do get one...
Don't postpone the enjoyment of a Speedmaster Professional. I think you'll enjoy it a lot.

In response to a couple of your questions:
- The caliber used in the current reference is not different from before (caliber 1861)
- The bracelet used in the current reference still has pins/collars between the removable links, but the pins are secured inside the links by screw-caps instead of friction. You unscrew the tiny cap and slide the pin out, instead of removing a screw that spans the width of the link, such as in a Rolex Oyster bracelet.

When you find the actual watch you're going to buy, if it is at all possible, ask the seller to wind the movement and confirm to you that the effort required to twist the crown is light enough. This varies between individual watches, and it's a bummer to have one with a crown that's overly stiff. I would go as far to say it ruins the experience of owning a Speedmaster Pro.

Many TRF members have swapped the standard clasp for a different Omega clasp that has a really slick micro-adjustment mechanism built into it. If you appreciate having this feature, then there is a thread here we can point you to with all of the details. The parts are only ~$200, and you probably can do the installation yourself.

Glad to help with more info if you need it!

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:51 PM   #11
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Don't postpone the enjoyment of a Speedmaster Professional. I think you'll enjoy it a lot.

In response to a couple of your questions:

- The caliber used in the current reference is not different from before (caliber 1861)

- The bracelet used in the current reference still has pins/collars between the removable links, but the pins are secured inside the links by screw-caps instead of friction. You unscrew the tiny cap and slide the pin out, instead of removing a screw that spans the width of the link, such as in a Rolex Oyster bracelet.

When you find the actual watch you're going to buy, if it is at all possible, ask the seller to wind the movement and confirm to you that the effort required to twist the crown is light enough. This varies between individual watches, and it's a bummer to have one with a crown that's overly stiff. I would go as far to say it ruins the experience of owning a Speedmaster Pro.

Many TRF members have swapped the standard clasp for a different Omega clasp that has a really slick micro-adjustment mechanism built into it. If you appreciate having this feature, then there is a thread here we can point you to with all of the details. The parts are only ~$200, and you probably can do the installation yourself.

Glad to help with more info if you need it!

Wow great info thank you! So on the the movement if I understand correctly, the only difference in the 1861 is rhodium plating?

I’m definitely leaning speedy at this point. I was looking at the collection last night and I’m gmt heavy not to say that’s a bad thing, but a speedy will def balance it out and maybe in another year ADs will be willing to discount the Tudor when more of them are out there.

Old 8 October 2018, 11:53 PM   #12
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll

Speedy.

The Tudor GMT has been having some issues with the movement IIRC.

EDIT: I found it. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=615461
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 10:23 AM   #13
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Speedy. I do like the Tudor gmt, but as I mentioned in a previous thread more of an homage to the original Rolex gmt. However the speedy is the speedy period, and has to be top 5 Chrons of all time
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:11 AM   #14
WJGESQ
Banned

Tudor--no claim to fame.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:11 AM   #15
FTX I
"TRF" Member

One is an icon the other is a nice watch.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:13 AM   #16
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
OMEGA by a mile!! Tudor does nothing for me!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 12:06 PM   #17
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Speedy.

The Tudor GMT has been having some issues with the movement IIRC.

EDIT: I found it. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=615461

Thanks. I saw that. I think I read on that thread or maybe another tudor had temp halted shipments till they fix it? I wish the poll was still a part of that thread. If I recall correctly, looked like 1/3 of owners were having the problem.

I think I have made up my mind. For giggles I was doing some more reading last night and came across this. I can't imagine it hasn't already been posted, but very informative

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/un...r-professional
Old 9 October 2018, 03:40 PM   #18
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
I totally get why people say get the Speedmaster, but it seems like you have a habit of selling of your Omegas. Nothing wrong with that, is there a root cause of getting rid of your Omegas and will that come into play if you got a Speedie?

And if you are deep down inside a GMT kind of guy, nothing wrong with building a diverse array of GMTs.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:00 PM   #19
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtalk View Post
I totally get why people say get the Speedmaster, but it seems like you have a habit of selling of your Omegas. Nothing wrong with that, is there a root cause of getting rid of your Omegas and will that come into play if you got a Speedie?

And if you are deep down inside a GMT kind of guy, nothing wrong with building a diverse array of GMTs.
Yeah totally see that. Sold my 8500 cause it was just too thick and never found it to be comfortable. Ended up flipping it. Grabbed an 8900 and really liked it, but then I got a deep blue and I realized compared to the Dblue, the 8900 wasn't going to get any wrist time I'm not a huge watch guy and didn't wan to have more than one watch over 42mm. Sad thing is, I miss that 8900. I really enjoyed it.
Old 9 October 2018, 11:17 PM   #20
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
As much as I like the Speed Master and the pictures of different models I just don't seem to be able to keep it in the collection. I like the history, the straps and everything else about the watch. But once I own it, the watch moves to the back of the collection. No wrist time and very soft resale. I owned the Tudor Black Bay GMT and thought it was a great watch while I owned it. I have a WG BLRO. I would buy the Tudor on metal and add some after market straps as I am not a fan of Tudor OEM leather. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:29 PM   #21
josephvman
Banned

I have both and the Speedy really is a must have, but I don’t wear it nearly as much as the Tudor GMT. I hate the Speedy bracelet and NATO straps don’t work with my daily attire, so the Speedy gets occasional weekend use at best. It also depends on which complication is more useful to you.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 10:16 AM   #22
jaymyms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Speedy.

There's no replacement for it. Hard to argue any chronograph against it. I'm a flipper myself, always changing my mind. I've sold more Rolex, Omega, IWC, Tudor than I can even remember. The Speedmaster is the first watch aive ever decided to keep.
jaymyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 10:21 AM   #23
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Between those two watches, I prefer the aesthetic of the Speedmaster. It's a classic and understated design that hasn't aged at all. Can't go wrong.
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 01:46 PM   #24
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

I have both. You can't go wrong with either.

DO NOT PAY RETAIL FOR THE SPEEDY. You can easily find it 25% off.

I don't think you will find a discount on the GMT anytime soon, maybe never.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 02:47 PM   #25
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Well Gents, I made my choice, and DavidSW comes through again with a great price. From one extreme to the other, the bottom of the sea to the moon. Thanks for all of the advice. This thing is stunning.

Old 10 October 2018, 04:13 PM   #26
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:25 PM   #27
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

The almighty OMEGA
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:31 PM   #28
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Very nice, David is the man.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 01:19 PM   #29
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:

Well Gents, I made my choice, and DavidSW comes through again with a great price. From one extreme to the other, the bottom of the sea to the moon. Thanks for all of the advice. This thing is stunning.

Excellent. Congratulations!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 02:41 PM   #30
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Great call on the Speedmaster, congrats! Very recently I sold a Tudor Black Bay to fund a Speedmaster on leather and I've had zero regrets. Enjoy it.
mac_135 is offline   Reply With Quote