The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 November 2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Rafabond
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, etc
Pam372, plexi vs sapphire

If you had the opportunity to buy a Pam372 in plexi version or sapphire version, at the same price, which one would you choose?
Rafabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Plexi - that’s what a 372 is supposed to be. I think Panerai should have given it a new number with the switch to sapphire (still a very nice watch, just not a “372” IMO).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 10:51 PM   #3
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Plexi - that’s what a 372 is supposed to be. I think Panerai should have given it a new number with the switch to sapphire (still a very nice watch, just not a “372” IMO).
I agree
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 11:41 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Out of custiosity is there any difference between the two visually speaking
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 12:06 AM   #5
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Spot on.
Old 13 November 2018, 06:41 AM   #6
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Yes. Some describe it as “warmth” with plexi and I agree. Plexi has a unique vintage look that can’t be replicated with Sapphire.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 05:50 AM   #7
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
plexi

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 07:42 AM   #8
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I vote for plexi.

My complain is why can't they put that in something like a 000. :)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 06:33 AM   #9
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I had a choice when I bought mine and picked the plexi.
Same price, so value-wise the sapphire makes more sense, but the plexi has a nice warmth and doesn’t have the edge white ring.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 12:45 PM   #10
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

Ditto. Plexi
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 01:37 PM   #11
mfer
"TRF" Member

You super careful with your watches or wear without care?

I’m a wear without care and would go plexi. Some watches look better with age and a 372 is one that looks better worn.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 01:47 PM   #12
nick c
Banned

IMG_9752.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 07:35 PM   #13
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Here you go, Brian. Check it out and see what you think:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=505132

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 07:57 PM   #14
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

I have to stray away from the mainstream here and say I would most likely go sapphire. I lay awake at night frothing at the mouth and obsessing over scratches so the plexi would drive me bonkers. However, I really do understand the allure of the plexi because it's how the 372 is supposed to be.

If the watch is a complete full set, it should include a spare plexi crystal, which might sway me towards it.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 23 November 2018, 10:23 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Here you go, Brian. Check it out and see what you think:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=505132
Thnaks Paul I remember that thread and most of us got it wrong

My only basis for comparison is my 690 and my departed 5513 which was Plexi. I know it’s not an apples to apples as your direct comparison shot, but I always felt there was little difference in the crystals, at least to my eye.

I’d sooner have the benefits of sapphire and the looks of acrylic, which I believe is what you get with domed Panerai crystals
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 11:38 PM   #16
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I don't like modern watches with the plexiglass. I own the 422 and it is similar to the 372 and is only available with the sapphire crystal. I hear my Panerasti friends talking about the warmth of the crystal and the Panerai DNA and I say, "whatever". The brand is so far away from where it came from that it is not even close. I would buy pre-owned as you will take a beating on the 372 even with a good discount from an AD. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 11:58 PM   #17
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I don't like modern watches with the plexiglass. I own the 422 and it is similar to the 372 and is only available with the sapphire crystal. I hear my Panerasti friends talking about the warmth of the crystal and the Panerai DNA and I say, "whatever". The brand is so far away from where it came from that it is not even close. I would buy pre-owned as you will take a beating on the 372 even with a good discount from an AD. Good luck.
I don't know enough about the brand to comment on how far it's come from it's origins but them what company has stuck that close to it's roots over such a long period? I would call the move from plexi to sapphire as evolution.

I've been looking and they're not as cheap as I've come to believe after reading lots on here about used PAMs tanking. A used piece is about 30% below MSRP. I'd rather buy new and put my own scratches on it but then I buy with the intention of keeping

Old 5 December 2018, 01:31 AM   #18
synequano
Banned

Plexi,the watch felt comfier on the wrist as the plexi version have lower center of gravity

If I'm looking for sapphire on 47mm panerai,I'd go with old skool fiddy case with domed sapphire

synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 03:49 AM   #19
Rafabond
"TRF" Member

at the end it will be with plexi, I bought it from a friend, it is very well preserved and it is with the complete set, it even has the replacement glass unused. tomorrow I will receive it, I have already ordered straps, because the two that it carries do not convince me much. I paid € 4,500, I think it's a good price
Old 5 December 2018, 03:51 AM   #20
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

The plexi crystal just gives the dial more warmth. They do give you a replacement crystal if the original is scratched beyond repair. I have knicked mine and easily buffed out the scuff with toothpaste. One was pretty severe and you can't see anything. You will get micro scuffs and swirls on the plexi crystal, but they do not affect visibility in the least and, if anything, add character to the watch as the case takes on micro scuffs as well.

The other big difference (and people can correct me here if I am wrong), is that the plexi models come on a 26/26 strap. The strap doesn't taper and is wide throughout. The newer 372 with the sapphire crystal comes on a 27/22 strap which tapers. This isn't a big issue from a functional standpoint as you can put any 26mm strap on the 372. The buckle though on the 26/26 strap models is large. I also prefer the ranger strap that came on the older plexi model over the asso strap that comes on it now. This is purely cosmetic.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 03:00 PM   #21
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Are they both the same shape? Or is the plexi more of a dome shape?
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 12:01 AM   #22
Rafabond
"TRF" Member

My 372 plexi

Old 6 December 2018, 01:50 AM   #23
Rafabond
"TRF" Member

Old 6 December 2018, 06:04 PM   #24
ragnk
"TRF" Member

The Pam372 Plexi is perfect, That's what I would go for.
ragnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:44 PM   #25
Zanderwestcoast
"TRF" Member

I recently purchased a 372 with plexi. I have never compared it directly beside a sapphire model. I’m curious for anyone that has compared them side by side, what is this perceived warmth that is often described? Is this “warmth” a slight tint that darkens the dial or changes the colour slightly? In the side by side picture in the link in post #13 they appear pretty darn close to my eyes. But as it’s a photo and the light could be effecting the two dials differently I’d rather here from people who have compared the two dials side by side.
Zanderwestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 09:40 PM   #26
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanderwestcoast View Post
I recently purchased a 372 with plexi. I have never compared it directly beside a sapphire model. I’m curious for anyone that has compared them side by side, what is this perceived warmth that is often described? Is this “warmth” a slight tint that darkens the dial or changes the colour slightly? In the side by side picture in the link in post #13 they appear pretty darn close to my eyes. But as it’s a photo and the light could be effecting the two dials differently I’d rather here from people who have compared the two dials side by side.
I have had both in my hand, and worn both. I also on a 372 PLEXI. There are a number of differences. The PLEXI feels warmer to the touch than the sapphire. It just gives a different feeling to touch. The sapphire is a heavier watch. The sapphire also leaves more of a shadow ring on the dial. When you look at both in direct sunlight, the dials look different.
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:01 AM   #27
synequano
Banned

I do notice the added weight (and height) on the sapphire version,however one noticeable thing is greater crystal distortion on sapphire version in comparison to the plexi version

I like how the plexi plays with the light,it sort of soften the reflection of bright light in comparison to the sapphire

synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:43 AM   #28
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Agree with this. Same reason I like the Omega Speedmaster with the hesalite.
Old 14 May 2019, 12:02 PM   #29
Zanderwestcoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
I have had both in my hand, and worn both. I also on a 372 PLEXI. There are a number of differences. The PLEXI feels warmer to the touch than the sapphire. It just gives a different feeling to touch. The sapphire is a heavier watch. The sapphire also leaves more of a shadow ring on the dial. When you look at both in direct sunlight, the dials look different.
Cool. I really like the way the dial colour slightly changes in different lighting from a dark matte tope black colour to almost dark green grey in brighter sunlight. I'm not sure if thats the dial itself rather than the glass. If the sapphire would not do that then I feel better about having a plexiglass dial.
Zanderwestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 06:45 PM   #30
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanderwestcoast View Post
Cool. I really like the way the dial colour slightly changes in different lighting from a dark matte tope black colour to almost dark green grey in brighter sunlight. I'm not sure if thats the dial itself rather than the glass. If the sapphire would not do that then I feel better about having a plexiglass dial.
I can’t say for sure but the sapphire definitely changes the lighting in the dial
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote