The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 19 July 2019, 08:43 AM   #1
ASaettone
"TRF" Member

Is this an original Rolex

Is it possible to know, based on these 2 pictures, if this Rolex is original?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190718_173232.jpg (190.5 KB, 1345 views)
File Type: jpg 20190718_173155.jpg (230.0 KB, 1348 views)
Old 19 July 2019, 09:20 AM   #2
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

It’s genuine.
Old 19 July 2019, 09:44 PM   #3
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

You authenticate a watch with a crummy photo. Go watch the WatchFinder video showing how good fakes are these days.
Old 19 July 2019, 09:48 PM   #4
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
No way would I feel comfortable authenticating a watch anymore, much less over the internet with horrible photos. It has gotten so bad that unless RSC themselves told me it was legit I wouldn't be buying.

These rules obviously wouldn't apply if buying from an AD or Trusted Seller.
Old 19 July 2019, 10:08 PM   #5
kwcsports
"TRF" Member

No, IMO it is not possible to be 100% with the photos provided.
Old 19 July 2019, 10:15 PM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASaettone View Post
Is it possible to know, based on these 2 pictures, if this Rolex is original?
No
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 19 July 2019, 10:21 PM   #7
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Terrible photos. Can't touch this.
Old 20 July 2019, 12:17 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhayden View Post
No way would I feel comfortable authenticating a watch anymore, much less over the internet with horrible photos. It has gotten so bad that unless RSC themselves told me it was legit I wouldn't be buying.

These rules obviously wouldn't apply if buying from an AD or Trusted Seller.

AD is the only 100% safe route. A TS could have easily bought it from someone else and missed it too. Anything second hand runs that risk and it has nothing to do with a seller being shady. The pipeline isn't always as straightforward as AD>TS>YOU

An AD is 100% safe and there is no way any secondary source can bat 1000 dealing in second hand
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 20 July 2019, 12:21 AM   #9
watchnut100
SCUMBAG

This watch is now being faked with correct hand stack, and correct function of gmt hand, so be very careful, get it opened.
Old 20 July 2019, 01:46 AM   #10
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
You authenticate a watch with a crummy photo. Go watch the WatchFinder video showing how good fakes are these days.
Please don’t patronise me. I do this for a living, I know what I’m looking at.
Old 20 July 2019, 03:57 AM   #11
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Watch: '66 Submariner
Said it a thousand times before, for goodness sakes its 2019 and almost everyone has a high def cell phone camera. No reason for poor pics anymore as an excuse, please. Even pap-pap knows how to take pics, lol.
Old 20 July 2019, 07:37 AM   #12
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Different times at different dates, one pic the guy is wearing it, the other pic it is just placed on a wrist unfastened..this could even be two different watches. Rubbish pics too.. walk away.
Old 20 July 2019, 08:00 AM   #13
HarlyFan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona & Sub
Once bitten, twice shy....Walk Away!!!
Old 20 July 2019, 08:13 AM   #14
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by antrolexsub View Post
Please don’t patronise me. I do this for a living, I know what I’m looking at.
What exactly do you do?
Old 20 July 2019, 08:25 AM   #15
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

No definitive judgment can be made from those pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 July 2019, 08:42 AM   #16
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
What exactly do you do?
I buy and sell sausages. What do you think?
Old 20 July 2019, 07:36 PM   #17
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Fake

Cheers
Old 20 July 2019, 08:20 PM   #18
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
Fake

Cheers
On what basis?

Could you explain why the watch has the following features, and if you can’t, could you show me a fake that has all these features:

Perfectly tight bracelet/case integration, with a small step between the case and bracelet end-links.

Perfectly shaped crown guards, crown position isn’t sunken downwards.

Perfectly angled rehaut. I can’t see all of the rehaut engravings with the images provided, but the ones I can see are well aligned with the dial minute markers.

Perfectly shaped lugs.

Perfect, sharp bezel insert engravings with the correct platinum colour, not white or dark grey.

Perfect anti reflective coating on the crystal cyclops.

Perfect hand shape with a slight curve to the hands, with a capped pinion on the seconds hand.

Perfect dial font layout.

Perfect dial marker shape, no sharp edges on the 6 and 9 markers

A correct hand stack. Yes I’m aware the high end fakes now have the correct handstack but they use a Chinese 2836 movement with a GMT module bolted to the top, this causes the crown sit far lower down in the case, messing up the shape of the crown guards.

As I’ve said, show me a fake with all of the following. You can’t, it doesn’t exist.
Old 20 July 2019, 09:00 PM   #19
lyktestolpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN
Ask the seller for a high res picture of the watch with a note with som writing decided by you. I`m guessing you`ll never get it.

Edit: if you are avtually buying. What do I know
Old 20 July 2019, 11:23 PM   #20
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
@antrolexsub:

Correct.. the watch(es) look fine, but I still wouldn't buy it based on those images as they could be stolen pics of two different watches.
I'd need to see clear pics from the seller at the same time and date with the same background.. looking again, on the 2nd pic the minute markers between the date window and 27mins there is black background which is not obvious around the rest of the dial on either pics...this could be two separate watches.

So.. OP, there is more to this than just 'is the watch original'..as it may be the seller who is fake!
Take care out there.
Old 20 July 2019, 11:42 PM   #21
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
yeah i wonder if these photos are supposed to be evidence of a watch that is for sale? as indicated above, many other issues in play for OP other than whether watches(es) shown in worlds worst photos are genuine or not.

it doesn't pass pub test. why sell a several thousand dollar watch on basis of blurry photos when photos of extraordinary quality are literally free in this day and age (if you don't have a smart phone someone does).
Old 29 July 2019, 11:54 AM   #22
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
No definitive judgment can be made from those pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CORRECT
NO one can categorically authenticate that watch with that photo.
I dont care if you buy or touch 100 Rolex/day!

I agree it "appears"OK - NO red flags - but too much we can not see!
Adam
Old 30 July 2019, 08:01 AM   #23
Avi8tor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On what basis?

As I’ve said, show me a fake with all of the following. You can’t, it doesn’t exist.

I'm going to stir the pot here. Not saying you're right or wrong but you should go to Youtube and check out Watchfinder & Co. They show a $1500 fake Daytona that you cannot tell is fake without use of a Loupe or other magnifying lens. Therefore, it is my strong OPINION that simple low res photos of any watch do not provide even the best of the best to identify real vs. fake anymore.

P.S. I posted pics of my Submariner and even the laser etched crown on this website and nobody spotted it as a fake until I showed the documents that came with it because they were not consistent with the 116610.

I was scammed and it sucks so I'm a big advocate against speculation at this point.

Just my 2 cents. Probably worth less than that.
Old 30 July 2019, 08:14 AM   #24
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi8tor View Post
I'm going to stir the pot here. Not saying you're right or wrong but you should go to Youtube and check out Watchfinder & Co. They show a $1500 fake Daytona that you cannot tell is fake without use of a Loupe or other magnifying lens. Therefore, it is my strong OPINION that simple low res photos of any watch do not provide even the best of the best to identify real vs. fake anymore.

P.S. I posted pics of my Submariner and even the laser etched crown on this website and nobody spotted it as a fake until I showed the documents that came with it because they were not consistent with the 116610.

I was scammed and it sucks so I'm a big advocate against speculation at this point.

Just my 2 cents. Probably worth less than that.
Have a look through my post history. I’ve pulled and posted a few of those Daytona’s that were listed on eBay. You absolutely can tell them without the use of a loupe if you know what you’re looking for. They’re very good yes, but far from perfect.

Every fake watch has tells. Subs and GMTs for instance. The dial font layouts/coronet shape, the markers shapes are never right always too sharp, the anti reflective coating on the crystal, the hands are always off, date fonts, end links where they meet the case lugs are usually off, crown guards are usually off, clasp engravings are never perfect etc. There are subtle clues even on the high end Frankenstein watches, it’s all about knowing exactly what to look for. The clues are always there.

I’m sorry to hear you got scammed. I hope you manage to recover the funds through your CC company. They are scum of the earth.
Old 30 July 2019, 08:17 AM   #25
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have a look through my post history. I’ve pulled and posted a few of those Daytona’s. You absolutely can tell them without the use of a loupe if you know what you’re looking for. They’re very good yes, but far from perfect.

Every fake watch has tells. Even the high end Frankenstein watches, it’s all about knowing exactly what to look for. The clues are always there.

I’m sorry to hear you got scammed. I hope you manage to recover the funds through your CC company. They are scum of the earth.
This is correct.
Watch Finder makes great videos- no doubt and a great company.
But a blind man with a guide dog could spot the fake elements in that Daytona.
AND
there were a lot
A
Old 30 July 2019, 12:00 PM   #26
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
Anyone spending a large sum on a watch has the right to ask for better photos. OP you should do that if you’re seriously considering this purchase.
Old 31 July 2019, 09:59 PM   #27
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s genuine.
how on earth can you tell from those crappy pictures??!?!
Old 31 July 2019, 10:27 PM   #28
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtecko View Post
how on earth can you tell from those crappy pictures??!?!
Why is everything I post questioned?

I’ll tell you how.

1. Perfect engravings on the bezel insert. Platinum colour looks good in the low light. The better fake inserts are still far to dark especially in low light.

2. Endlinks nice and tight to the case, with a small step down from the lugs.

3. The lug shape is spot on as are the crown guard shape.

4. Correct hand stack. The fake correct hand stack GMT’s use a Chinese 2836 movement with a GMT module on top. The causes the crown to sit lower down in the case, messing up the crown guard shape. These are perfect.

5. Hands are slightly curved with no rough/square/sharp edges.

6. Seconds hand pinion shape is perfect. Third wheel pinion reaches all the way up to the top of the hand pinion with no dark hole. Fake GMT’s never do, the third wheel pinion is too short so they use an extended pinion on the seconds hand and you get a dark hole in the pinion.

7. Perfect dial font layout and coronet.

8. Dial marker edges smooth and rounded. No fakes get this right they’re always squared off/sharp.

9. Perfect anti reflective coating on the magnification cyclops. It’s always dark black. No fakes have got this right.

10. Perfect date font, serifs spot on.

11. Rehaut angle spot on. Most fake cases aren’t steep enough.

Just because you can’t tell anything from those photos, it doesn’t mean others can’t.
Old 31 July 2019, 11:02 PM   #29
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why is everything I post questioned?
well for starter, everyone agrees that based on those pictures, no one would buy this watch, no matter where you work ( sausage business is boooooming I heard !)

1. Perfect engravings on the bezel insert. Platinum colour looks good in the low light. The better fake inserts are still far to dark especially in low light.
how can you say "perfect" where half of the engraving is in shadow light?!

2. Endlinks nice and tight to the case, with a small step down from the lugs.
and frakenstein rolex dont showcase that?

3. The lug shape is spot on as are the crown guard shape.
pictures is blurry?!? where do you see the sharpness

4. Correct hand stack. The fake correct hand stack GMT’s use a Chinese 2836 movement with a GMT module on top. The causes the crown to sit lower down in the case, messing up the crown guard shape. These are perfect.
sorry to tell you ( you can search on the forum)that handstake can be found in fakes as well... the crown guard is liteterraly pressed against his skin, you can not tell anything

5. Hands are slightly curved with no rough/square/sharp edges.
?? really...

6. Seconds hand pinion shape is perfect. Third wheel pinion reaches all the way up to the top of the hand pinion with no dark hole. Fake GMT’s never do, the third wheel pinion is too short so they use an extended pinion on the seconds hand and you get a dark hole in the pinion.
cannot see that to be honest, the resolution is just not there

7. Perfect dial font layout and coronet.
what on earth are you seeing?? you cant even see the GMT MASTER fond on the dial - the coronet is blurry too - the pictures ARE SH!T mate, everything is blurrry and you like "it is perfect"

8. Dial marker edges smooth and rounded. No fakes get this right they’re always squared off/sharp.
you must have seen 10dollars fake then ...

9. Perfect anti reflective coating on the magnification cyclops. It’s always dark black. No fakes have got this right.
specially with picture #2, you CAN REALLY tell the AR coating...not

10. Perfect date font, serifs spot on.
you redefined the work perfect today...

11. Rehaut angle spot on. Most fake cases aren’t steep enough.
you cannot even see the engraving of the rehaut !

Just because you can’t tell anything from those photos, it doesn’t mean others can’t.[/QUOTE] --> I can tell the pictures are absolutely garbage, perfectly garbage !
Old 31 July 2019, 11:12 PM   #30
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Closed Thread