The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 3 February 2006, 10:35 AM   #1
lurch
"TRF" Member

breitling emergency

hello, ive been offered a titanium breitling emergency for £450 pounds

its definatly genuine, but the watch doesnt tick and the lcd display isnt on, i asked him why he was willing to let it go so cheap and he told me the battery is flat and it costs quite a bit to replace it

there are no papers or the case with the watch

after doing some research it does seem that the story about the battery being replaced is true as after the first free one with the warrenty the battery replacements cost a lot of money.

so i was just wondering what is involved in the battery changing process to make it cost so much, is it something complex, why cant i do it myself rather than pay breitling $600?

is it something to do with the inbuilt destress signal? are the batteries a rare expensive type exclusive to breitling?

cos to me it just looks like 4 simple scews to have the case of and then pop a normal battery in there.
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 11:54 AM   #2
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Lurch, I have not had the chance to welcome you to TRF, so a big welcome to ya mate!

I know that Bruce, Ed or AlanfromNY as well as a few others may be able to help you, I on the other hand am no help. Sorry.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 11:58 AM   #3
lurch
"TRF" Member

cheers, thanks for the welcome mate
Old 3 February 2006, 11:58 AM   #4
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
No worries, glad you found us and please keep on posting away.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 04:19 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Lurch,

Welcome to TRF. Want some good advice? Don't touch that watch with a barge pole. No matter how cheap you find it now, it's going to be a white elephant for you as time goes by.

Changing the battery each time is going to cost you a bomb. I don't think you can do it yourself because it also involves waterproofing, etc. This will turn out to be a very expensive proposition. Eventually, you will get fed up and try to sell it. Yeah right...like trying to sell a fridge to an Eskimo!!

Stick with automatics only. If you want a quartz, buy a cheap watch. Seriously!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 3 February 2006 at 04:19 PM..
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 08:28 PM   #6
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Breitling Emergency

Hi lurch, welcome to this forum.

JJ is actually right on this one. Don't buy this watch because of the reasons he states and the fact that the guy in this photo can afford to throw it away if it stops working!

Mr. Pitt also wears Rolex watches, but I think he keeps those.

If you are really after an electric watch, look for an Omega X33. It's the best around. Ask NASA.

Steve
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2006, 02:46 AM   #7
lurch
"TRF" Member

well i thought if i get it working i'll have a watch worth around £1500 even without the box and papers

so i can always get it changed once, wear it for a little while and then sell it, i agree with you though, i prefer automatics to quartz....actually i prefer sieko kinetic movements to automatics and i wish the more prestigious watch makers wold adopt this technology, my sieko that only cost me about £250 brand new is the one i wear the most
Old 4 February 2006, 02:54 AM   #8
lurch
"TRF" Member

also being a weekend soldier in the territorial army my walter mitty streak would love a watch with an inbuilt destress signal, though im not sure how lost i could get in a landrover on salisbury plains and the titanium case is a bit too bling to be tactical, at least id think i'd look cool when all my mates are laughing at me

im just worried breitling wont change the battery for me without documentation and id be left with a useless lump of precious metal, i'll let you know what i decide
Old 4 February 2006, 03:48 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch
also being a weekend soldier in the territorial army my walter mitty streak would love a watch with an inbuilt destress signal, though im not sure how lost i could get in a landrover on salisbury plains and the titanium case is a bit too bling to be tactical, at least id think i'd look cool when all my mates are laughing at me

im just worried breitling wont change the battery for me without documentation and id be left with a useless lump of precious metal, i'll let you know what i decide
EXACTLY!! Please don't do it!! You will regret it!! Experience, my friend...just experience talking!!

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote