The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2021, 04:28 AM   #31
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicasi2002 View Post
You are correct in that the 5396 comes with white/ivory dial and white gold case. Only that this would be with baton hour indices and not the Breguet. The 5396 with the Breguet indices are 25th anniversary models (limited run) released between 2016-2017 and came only in white gold case/grey dial or rose gold case/ivory dial. Good luck on your purchase.

Thank you - yes the 5396 with the Breguet indices is gorgeous especially the Rose with Ivory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 January 2021, 01:43 PM   #32
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Listed it on TRF - priced it properly - photographs etc. Listing is in my post history so you can compare you listing and see.

Also been a long time member here - 8+ years with lots of posts and references. Plays a big part. Buy the seller first then the watch.

Thanks! Makes sense. I have only sold on chrono24, and I am getting pretty tired of it.
QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 02:41 AM   #33
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

5146g

The 5146G isn't perfect, but I think it's strengths outweigh its weaknesses and those of the other Patek annual calendars.

5146G is more versatile than 5205 and 5396, both of which I find too dressy (for an everyday watch), except the 5396 sector dials (even though I really like the modernity of the 5205).

5146G looks great with a variety of straps: browns, blues, black. The cream dial is lustrous and goes with just about anything.

5146 is a sensual watch and a pleasure on the wrist, with its curved case and rounded bezel. I love the look of the luminous hands even though i don't care about the effect of the lume in the dark. They add a casual distinctiveness to the piece.

The 5205 wears small for its size (small dial relative to case size) and is a bit peaky due to its bezel design. The 5205 does have a strong and distinctive case design which I really like.

The 5396 wears a bit blocky with its broad bezel and smaller size, and I find the month and day apertures a bit too close together.

I wish the dial on the 5146 was a bit bigger, and the subdials were about a millimeter or two out from center, my only real complaint.

Tough choice. All of these are great value second-hand, not so much at retail, especially after the most recent price increase.

Cheers,
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:52 AM   #34
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Thank you for all the feedback and recommendations.

I finally had the opportunity to venture into NYC.

The 5146 is out - I want to love it. The case though just wears too small for my taste. 39mm but feels like 36mm. The way the bezel rounds down and the lugs just make it wear small in my opinion.

The 5396 was surprisingly my favorite. Although 38.5mm wears very nicely - the lugs and flat polished bezel really help. This is probably wear I focus my search.

The stand out pieces though were the Lange. Great feel on the wrist and really really well executed pieces.

Potential incoming soon - in negotiations.

Also stopped at Audemars Piguet and met with a sales rep regarding the 15500 which sounds like to will take some time to come in.

Old 17 January 2021, 11:03 PM   #35
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Just as an update to the thread. I’m planning on going into the city this Saturday to check out some pieces.

Will take plenty of wrist shots and hopefully get some direction.

Plan on going to see some Patek, Lange, and also AP. The AP would be an in addition to not replacing the spot of the Patek or Lange.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to reading the after-action report. You're lucky that in your country you can actually go to shops to view watches - all non-essential shops have been closed since Xmas in the UK!

EDIT - looks like I initially missed the final page of the thread with all the pictures!!!
Ubiquitous1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 11:41 PM   #36
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Great thread!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:57 AM   #37
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
The 5146 is a popular reference no doubt, but as others have noted above, the PP name on the bottom always seemed weird to me, like the watch is upside down.

So I went with the 5205R instead which I highly recommend, great looking and extremely comfortable on the wrist.

Have fun making your choice, take your time to decide, and above all get one that you think you'll like for the long term and that you'll wear often. Cheers.

Love white dials on PM pieces, best dress and sporty option IMO.