rdragon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
R & g
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
R for Me Martin as well, and like you I had the G before too

I guess it’s easier for me to pick because I had/have owned both , but at end I think they are both cool and hard to choose wrong here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mind if I ask both of you what your wrist size is?

JorgeCCW - is the color/feel of the dial on the 5524r similar to the dial on either the 5712r and 5980r?
rdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 08:25 PM   #32
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTAlex View Post
I have the 5524g, but the 5524r is calling my name.

Those of you who have had both, or looked at both, can you talk about your thoughts and impressions please.
i had the 5524G, liked it initially very much but then found it was too big for me and sold it.
a few weeks ago i was bitten again by the pilot bug and acquired the 5524R. it is the more spectacular watch in terms of wrist presence and seems to wear smaller than the G. so far i love the R and hope it stays this way.
yesterday i met a friend who came with the 5520P. wow, what a piece!!!!
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 12:29 AM   #33
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

I personally found the 5524 awkwardly large but the 7234 perfectly proportioned. So I bought the 7234g and am considering adding a 7234r.

Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 02:56 AM   #34
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdragon View Post
Mind if I ask both of you what your wrist size is?

JorgeCCW - is the color/feel of the dial on the 5524r similar to the dial on either the 5712r and 5980r?

7”

I had the 5712R too and the answer is no , what I remember of the 5712R is that most of the time the dial looked greyish to me plus the dial has these kind of blinds across it, like the 5712/1a (that I also had) . 5524R dial doesn’t have those lines, instead has a sunburst dial that is more apparent on the sun or good lighting.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:39 AM   #35
rdragon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Ellipse View Post
I personally found the 5524 awkwardly large but the 7234 perfectly proportioned. So I bought the 7234g and am considering adding a 7234r.
That looks good. What is your wrist size and how does the 7234 wear vs a 40mm ceramic sub/gmt? Would you happen to have a picture side by side? Also, looks like you had an Exp II years ago...not sure if you'll remember, but did the 5524 wear larger than the Exp II?
Old 17 January 2021, 09:41 AM   #36
rdragon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
7”

I had the 5712R too and the answer is no , what I remember of the 5712R is that most of the time the dial looked greyish to me plus the dial has these kind of blinds across it, like the 5712/1a (that I also had) . 5524R dial doesn’t have those lines, instead has a sunburst dial that is more apparent on the sun or good lighting.

Thanks, this is helpful. Does the 5524 wear similar, bigger or smaller than the 42 mm Exp II?
Old 17 January 2021, 09:55 AM   #37
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Thanks, this is helpful. Does the 5524 wear similar, bigger or smaller than the 42 mm Exp II?

I had the Explorer II like 7 years ago so I really can’t recall, but I would say that difference is the pushers.
Here is pic of my Explorer II back in the day

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 10:59 AM   #38
rdragon
"TRF" Member

Thanks
Old 17 January 2021, 01:46 PM   #39
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i had the 5524G, liked it initially very much but then found it was too big for me and sold it.
a few weeks ago i was bitten again by the pilot bug and acquired the 5524R. it is the more spectacular watch in terms of wrist presence and seems to wear smaller than the G. so far i love the R and hope it stays this way.
yesterday i met a friend who came with the 5520P. wow, what a piece!!!!
5520P is amazing!

Any photos?
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 03:14 AM   #40
rdragon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Along with my question above, wanted to ask few more. You have an amazing eye for detail and really looking foward to your response. I just realized the 5205 "error" and the meteorite dial print on the WG GMT. Never cared for the meteorite it as it is very washed out looking, but now it's even worse.

Looking through old posts, saw that you have the WG GMT blue dial.

- How do the blue dials compare between the 126719 and 7234g?
- Which blue dial goes better with the WG?
- Which do you enjoy more?
- Saw that you may want to add the 7234r...why did you decide to add the g first if you already have a wg blue dial gmt watch?
- I know case/strap is very different and how the gmt is displayed, but do you find these 2 similar or different enough to own both?
Old 18 January 2021, 11:57 AM   #41
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Along with my question above, wanted to ask few more. You have an amazing eye for detail and really looking foward to your response. I just realized the 5205 "error" and the meteorite dial print on the WG GMT. Never cared for the meteorite it as it is very washed out looking, but now it's even worse.

Looking through old posts, saw that you have the WG GMT blue dial.

- How do the blue dials compare between the 126719 and 7234g?
- Which blue dial goes better with the WG?
- Which do you enjoy more?
- Saw that you may want to add the 7234r...why did you decide to add the g first if you already have a wg blue dial gmt watch?
- I know case/strap is very different and how the gmt is displayed, but do you find these 2 similar or different enough to own both?
Hi, happy to help.

I have a 6.5” flat wrist.

Yes, I had the ExpII years ago but never really connected with the watch, despite having worn it on a hike through the Andes, piranha fishing in the Amazon, and lots of other great adventures. The fit was large but suitable for sport.

The blue of the 126719 is slightly richer hue but “flat”, whereas the 7234 is more grayish blue and more textured, slightly grainy and the dial color benefits from the applied indices.

Which do I enjoy more? Horses for courses. The GMT for travel — airports, hotels, luggage, airplanes, etc. and the Calatrava for meetings during travel. They’re both great watches and it’s difficult to state a preference one vs. the other.

I added the 7234g before the 7234r because I generally wear white metals and I already have a RG watch in the ALS 1815 Up/Down and a YG in the Patek 3940. Plus...after the Singapore edition last year, I knew I would pull the trigger on a WG 7234 as soon as one was announced. That was an emotional choice that cost some $$, since the 7234g price will come down once supply catches up to demand, and buying early after announcement usually means paying near-retail.

Yes, I feel the GMT and the 7234 are different enough to own both. I have a variety of travel watches including Grand Seiko, ALS, Patek, Rolex, Sinn, Nomos, etc. and each has its respective niche in the collection. But with regard to the GMT vs. the 7234, I find the GMT to be a rougher piece that can get banged up in transit, and that’s OK, but the 7234 is a little more “precious” and I will be more careful to reserve it for an office environment, free of dings from airplane seatbelts, scuffs from baggage handling, etc. In addition the 7234 is a bit more respectful piece when worn with a suit than the GMT (at least in my part of the business world).

Hope that helps.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 01:06 AM   #42
rdragon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, happy to help.

I have a 6.5” flat wrist.

Yes, I had the ExpII years ago but never really connected with the watch, despite having worn it on a hike through the Andes, piranha fishing in the Amazon, and lots of other great adventures. The fit was large but suitable for sport.

The blue of the 126719 is slightly richer hue but “flat”, whereas the 7234 is more grayish blue and more textured, slightly grainy and the dial color benefits from the applied indices.

Which do I enjoy more? Horses for courses. The GMT for travel — airports, hotels, luggage, airplanes, etc. and the Calatrava for meetings during travel. They’re both great watches and it’s difficult to state a preference one vs. the other.

I added the 7234g before the 7234r because I generally wear white metals and I already have a RG watch in the ALS 1815 Up/Down and a YG in the Patek 3940. Plus...after the Singapore edition last year, I knew I would pull the trigger on a WG 7234 as soon as one was announced. That was an emotional choice that cost some $$, since the 7234g price will come down once supply catches up to demand, and buying early after announcement usually means paying near-retail.

Yes, I feel the GMT and the 7234 are different enough to own both. I have a variety of travel watches including Grand Seiko, ALS, Patek, Rolex, Sinn, Nomos, etc. and each has its respective niche in the collection. But with regard to the GMT vs. the 7234, I find the GMT to be a rougher piece that can get banged up in transit, and that’s OK, but the 7234 is a little more “precious” and I will be more careful to reserve it for an office environment, free of dings from airplane seatbelts, scuffs from baggage handling, etc. In addition the 7234 is a bit more respectful piece when worn with a suit than the GMT (at least in my part of the business world).

Hope that helps.
Yes, this is very helpful, thank you. The 7234g looks like a perfect size/fit on you.
Old 20 January 2021, 05:40 PM   #43
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
I personally love the rose gold version.

Has anyone tried a deployant buckle on a 5524?
Old 24 January 2021, 12:45 AM   #44
Jetstream513
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here are more reference pics between 5524 and 7324!

I was looking for 5164, but few weeks in they told me to come in and take a look at 5524 and 7324 instead. I was hesitant, but I gotta say; I do think about the 64 a little bit less now...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 22.40.37.png (173.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 22.41.01.png (137.7 KB, 149 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 22.41.27.png (149.2 KB, 150 views)
Jetstream513 is offline   Reply With Quote