The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 December 2020, 03:46 AM   #1
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: TV
Icon1 5196r could trade away

I’m leaning towards a “no” in trading my 5196 rose gold against a day date 40. A Rolex AD would love to have my patek against a day date white god model.

I believe I’d regret this trade immensely but I rarely wear the patek and when I do, I’m ultra careful about not knocking it around.

Has anyone here owned a day date 40 and a 5196... they’re two completely different pieces. While I never wear the patek, I do admire it when I do wear it. It’s a versatile timepiece and I bought it from David sw a few years back when the economy had crashed. I’d never be able to acquire it again at the same price.

But I almost never wear it. Since I’m unsure about this trade, I think I’ll pass, but welcome feedback from day date owners. The day date at which I’m looking is a white gold meteorite dial model and is a considerable expense. I thank you all for your time, no pun intended. The AD is willing to give me 18k trade value and claims the 5196 is already sold.. he has 5 buyers minimum that would buy it. I paid far less than his trade offer , but he’s a decent guy and I feel his offer is actually fair. I just feel like I’ll never get such a piece (5196) again.. the solution is to forego the day date but this is a day date I’d wear. With white gold, the Rolex would not attract unwanted attention. The DD dial is unique and rare enough to be special. I can’t have both.. it’s just how I am.
MeepHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 03:55 AM   #2
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

I've owned Calatrava and DD but not your exact references. Trade value seems OK but you'll have a hefty amount to add in for the DD. And all DDs attract attention but WG far less than YG or RG. They wear so differently - night and day difference in weight and wrist presence. I'm always guided by buying/having what I would wear the most, and not having to "baby" ridiculously also factors in to my decisions. Both great pieces for different reasons. No sin to have both.
Old 13 December 2020, 04:20 AM   #3
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
I've owned Calatrava and DD but not your exact references. Trade value seems OK but you'll have a hefty amount to add in for the DD. And all DDs attract attention but WG far less than YG or RG. They wear so differently - night and day difference in weight and wrist presence. I'm always guided by buying/having what I would wear the most, and not having to "baby" ridiculously also factors in to my decisions. Both great pieces for different reasons. No sin to have both.
The day date to me wears like a date just... I know I’d have a way to go against the meteorite dial and that’s ok. I just feel I’d miss the patek even though I rarely wear it.
Old 13 December 2020, 01:04 PM   #4
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I wouldn’t move forward with the straight without being sure.
djona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 01:31 PM   #5
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepHead View Post
The day date to me wears like a date just... I know I’d have a way to go against the meteorite dial and that’s ok. I just feel I’d miss the patek even though I rarely wear it.
I think the reason why he is offering $18k is because he is giving you no discount on the Meteorite dial? Effectively he is paying you $13k to $15k and avoiding a discount? Why not ask for a few grand discount (5% to 10%)?

I love the 5196r and I think its a classic; I would keep it and try to get a day date some other way.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 01:38 PM   #6
B01fan
"TRF" Member

^Agreed need to know how much cash you’d have to thrown in to really evaluate this trade.

Personally I would say the 5196 is more classic than that particular DD reference.
B01fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 03:06 PM   #7
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

I think any watch in a collection that isn't getting wrist time is definitely grounds to be moved. As far as trading this into your AD, is selling it private part on the forums an option and picking up the day date?

The fact that you'll be able to wear the day date much more frequently and that it will also be less delicate (plus the feel of full PM is amazing) I think is worth it
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 03:14 PM   #8
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
Life's too short to own a watch you're afraid to wear and doesn't get much wrist time. Get rid of it and get something you'll actually wear and enjoy.
soxfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 11:26 PM   #9
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback. I may simply ask dealer for a 10 percent discount and sell the patek outright later in life. It’s really tough for me to let a piece go such as a 5196. There are subtle details I notice with each wear, but I can’t let the DD go either. I’ve not shared the math of the deal because I don’t yet have the full deal. Just a trade in price. I suspect it will be trade and msrp. The place is closed today but I’m meeting privately with the owner to talk. I have a good rapport with this AD. To further complicate matters, someone yesterday tentatively placed an (low) offer on the DD but was told I was already negotiating. Yes, they had the dd in their case. Had the offer been full msrp, the watch would be gone. The gentleman whom made the offer left but took pics for his wife to see. I trust my ad enough to believe this. I called yesterday without visiting half hoping the dd had sold. Lol

I don’t blame them because until it’s sold, I’d do the same thing. They’re giving me until tomorrow evening to decide whether with trade or not. I have an amazing rapport with this ad... they’ve been upfront with me and good to me over the years.

I’ll never get a callatrava again at the price I paid years ago.. around 11k with shipping. A steal. Just being honest. It’s not that I’m afraid to wear the Patek. I just don’t have the occasion to wear it often and I am a bit fearful of scratches. I’ll be the same with a dd perhaps. I make it a point to wear the 5196 at least monthly... and love it when I do.
Old 14 December 2020, 02:51 AM   #10
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Good luck completing your deal. Both is the way to go!
Old 14 December 2020, 04:40 AM   #11
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Everyone can talk about how you can't get anything these days how we could just a few years ago....I got my 5167 bnib from an AD for 16k.....and sold it for a loss........then again it was to fund a 15202a.....I got for 17k. Those were the days....the DD is more expensive than it normally would run but same goes for your 5196. I mean can wait for things to settle down but I bet the 5196 value would go down too. I'd get what you love, but then again I don't care for the DD, I think the 5196 is timeless (if a bit boring)
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 10:43 AM   #12
bob101
"TRF" Member

I really like the 5196 and personally would keep a hold of it. Not sure if you have another Patek but you may miss having one once it’s gone. Rolex doesn’t have same feeling.
Have you tried switching the straps on 5196 to something less formal?
For something more sturdy and with complications could look at a Patek annual calendar such as 5146g or 5205g? Alternatively, Patek pilot watch?
I wouldn’t worry about scratches and just let it go and enjoy wearing the watch. You’ll be amazed once time for Patek service everything is just like brand new anyway when you get it back.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 10:32 AM   #13
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

I kept the 5196. It’s just too nice to let go. I’m not doing the DD for now. I thought about this and saw the piece again. I believe if I go DD... I’d go rose gold. And realize for the same amount of money I could get something else. I’ll wait until I am more firm. I greatly,appreciate everyone’s feedback. The 5196 is simply a piece I need to wear more often. It’s quite timeless and classy. The 5196 is my only patek.
Old 16 December 2020, 01:06 AM   #14
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
I kept the 5196. It’s just too nice to let go. I’m not doing the DD for now. I thought about this and saw the piece again. I believe if I go DD... I’d go rose gold. And realize for the same amount of money I could get something else. I’ll wait until I am more firm. I greatly,appreciate everyone’s feedback. The 5196 is simply a piece I need to wear more often. It’s quite timeless and classy. The 5196 is my only patek.
While we're in the topic of enabling. The day date meteorite is an amazing watch (40mm, solid white gold etc.). If you're going all gold have you thought about say a Patek annual calendar (5205R in black is a fav of mine and others) or perhaps one of their sports pieces? At $50k a 5726a on strap or aquanaut travel time might be possible. Of course brand new you might be able to get a 5164R or 5712r.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 03:02 AM   #15
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Good choice!

I was also going to say, if you were "afraid" of knocking the 5196R, I could imagine that you might do the same with the full gold DD, if not even more so. Yes, the Rolex is likely more robust with its movement but you are exposed with with the same external metal which will i.e. scratch the same.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 01:18 PM   #16
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Keep the 5196R and wear it more. It's an all-time classic; just look at vintage patek's and see the character after years of wear. They look great!
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 11:27 PM   #17
Donjo
"TRF" Member

I had the Rose Gold DD40 for a couple years. The DD40 is a showy watch. Your Patek is stealth. The Pateks I've owned seemed to be scratch magnets, especially the 5712, whereas I noticed very little wear on the Rolex despite daily wear. I think in this market, 5% off the DD, and $18k for yours would be win:win.
Donjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 01:04 AM   #18
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the feedback. I read every comment. I know if I trade away the 5196,. I’ll never get one again at the price from before. So I’ll keep it. I’m more a Rolex person than a patek just because I can’t afford patek overall. I own an AP as well but rarely wear it.
Old 25 December 2020, 12:03 AM   #19
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
While we're in the topic of enabling. The day date meteorite is an amazing watch (40mm, solid white gold etc.). If you're going all gold have you thought about say a Patek annual calendar (5205R in black is a fav of mine and others) or perhaps one of their sports pieces? At $50k a 5726a on strap or aquanaut travel time might be possible. Of course brand new you might be able to get a 5164R or 5712r.
Can I really get that nice of a watch for 50,000? I nautilus I mean
Old 25 December 2020, 05:11 AM   #20
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Can I really get that nice of a watch for 50,000? I nautilus I mean
No.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2020, 05:35 AM   #21
Sinanamus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Keeping 5196 was a great choice. It is a far classier and under the radar watch. If you want to shout "look at me" or be a boss the dd is great but I like the subtle sophistication of the 5196 more. And you are right that you are never going to get that price again when you miss it.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
Sinanamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2020, 07:41 AM   #22
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
role number one: never sell or trade a patek because you are right, once you sell it chances are prices would go up and you won't be able to buy it again at the same price. and especially that it is your only patek.
role number two: if you must trade a patek then let it be for another patek
rolex touch and feel is very industrial, i almost never wear my DJ nowadays which i had more than 10 years ago. and rearly wear my batman. once i tried patek there was simply no going back
Old 25 December 2020, 08:05 AM   #23
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
No.
That’s my thought as well. No nautilus unless it’s a great deal can be gotten for that.
Old 25 December 2020, 08:13 AM   #24
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
role number one: never sell or trade a patek because you are right, once you sell it chances are prices would go up and you won't be able to buy it again at the same price. and especially that it is your only patek.
role number two: if you must trade a patek then let it be for another patek
rolex touch and feel is very industrial, i almost never wear my DJ nowadays which i had more than 10 years ago. and rearly wear my batman. once i tried patek there was simply no going back
I’d agree. That said, I have a sea dweller, hulk, two tone sub, newer pepsi, deep blue, ro offshore, 5196, reverso, panerai (never wear this one ever), explorer one, a vacheron dress watch, and maybe others... I personally tend to go back to Rolex for one reason... the convenience of the clasp bracelet. And their bracelets are amazing. The deep blue is like a grandfather clock. I’m hanging onto that in the hopes Rolex retires that piece.

So, the 5196r is my only patek. Another funny thing to me is my reverso. To me it’s on par quite easily with the patek.. for me I mean. I almost never wear the reverso but when I do, I realize how undervalued jlc truly is. Mine is steel but who cares. I try to wear all pieces at times. The most commonly worn pieces for me are the hulk, two tone sub and the 2020 sea dweller which I got a few weeks ago from a dealer. I love the convenience of a bracelet piece.

I’m sometimes tempted to trade the pepsi and a few others for a patek but my wife would be extremely upset if I got rid of the pepsi. I never wear it. It’s nice, but I just am more a sub person. And no one likely thinks my subs are real so I can wear them without worry. Another piece i never wear is the royal oak offshore... it’s a bit big on my wrist.

I can pull off the sea dweller size but it’s pushing it. I’m conveying this feedback so people that care can weigh in. At days end I know I’ll grab a day date but likely in rose gold. Or... a patek pilots watch. I used to compare those to zeniths... but after seeing one in person.... they’re in a class alone.
Old 27 December 2020, 09:02 AM   #25
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Ok I just bought today a white gold 5196.. so that’s my “upgrade..”my thinking is I now have the two best dress watches in history. Is that crazy... welcoming feedback. I got the WG 5196 in the low teens, Pre owned. No box. No papers. Trusted seller.
Old 18 January 2021, 12:47 AM   #26
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

The white gold 5196 has become my daily wearer next to my sea dweller. Quite amazing. Flies way under the radar.

Can someone please make strap maker recommendations... my W g strap is old . Currently black. I’m thinking of just buying a patek strap from an AD locally. My wrists are 7” , so the strap currently on this piece is a bit too large in cold weather. Just slightly too big.
Old 18 January 2021, 02:50 AM   #27
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The white gold 5196 has become my daily wearer next to my sea dweller. Quite amazing. Flies way under the radar.

Can someone please make strap maker recommendations... my W g strap is old . Currently black. I’m thinking of just buying a patek strap from an AD locally. My wrists are 7” , so the strap currently on this piece is a bit too large in cold weather. Just slightly too big.
Camille Fournet straps. I'm told they are a supplier to PP.
Old 18 January 2021, 02:52 AM   #28
KonradvonMarburg
Banned

Hi MeepHead

I am so glad you kept the Patek. And please don't be afraid of wearing it. Are you trying to keep it nice for your corpse? Life is short.

I do recommend Atelier du Bracelet Parisienne. They can make you any kind of strap your heart desires. They have so many strap choices from so many various skin leathers, etc, etc. I think they sponsor this site.

I bought an Alligator strap for my DJ with the deployant clasp and quick release lugs and it is just beautiful.

I highly recommend taking a good long look at their website. If you contact them, ask for Damien, and he will help you with any questions you have. He's a great guy.

Hope that helps, and please, for the love of God, don't trade in your gorgeous Patek for any Rolex.

Just my two cents. :)
KonradvonMarburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:53 AM   #29
KonradvonMarburg
Banned

Oh and I would love to see a wrist shot of your Patek. :)
KonradvonMarburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 03:13 AM   #30
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reply. I’ll check out that strap maker. I agree about wearing the piece. I find myself wearing the white gold all the time now vs the rose gold. I think the white gold looks better for the 5196 and it glitters in sunlight more than the rose gold, yet appears like steel. Appreciate the feedback. I might be now grabbing a white gold patrimony in a trade for a Rolex but we’ll see. I’ll post pics of the two 5196 models and the patrimony. The patrimony will be 38mm and is the “traditionelle” no date model, transparent case back, preowned. I can see myself wearing white gold dress watches as both casual and dress pieces. The white gold combination is a zero loss situation. It’s stainless on leather. It’s gold for weddings. It’s casual for a coffee shop. It won’t get you killed.i never understood white gold appeal until now. Let’s just hope I don’t ever see a platinum 5196 in person. That is my fav patek of all time hands down. The platinum 5196 should be 70k... it’s a sleeper if you can find it.